Set Plays of the Lakers (my first LG blog!)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Set Plays of the Lakers (my first LG blog!)

After I officially became an LG contributor, I was given the privilege of creating my own blog here. So here it is.

I cover the most important set plays that the Lakers run. I already explained the pick and roll in a previous thread, so I don't discuss it this time. But there's a link to it in in the blog.

Here's the link: http://forums.lakersground.net/blog.php/2009/04/09/set-plays-of-the-los-angeles-lakers/

This is my first blog ever of any kind. Tell me what you think.

Last edited by Wilt on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject:

i would have put my name or something on those diagrams, so nobody could pass it off as their own
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Awesome, Wilt! Definitely have become a valuable asset to this website as an informative poster! Much like how LC became the salary guru.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Wow thats awesome Wilt! Great work!
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject:

pkflyers wrote:
i would have put my name or something on those diagrams, so nobody could pass it off as their own

^^YEP
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Set Plays of the Lakers (my first LG blog!)

Wilt wrote:
After I officially became an LG contributor, I was given the privilege of creating my own blog here. So here it is.

I cover the most important set plays that the Lakers run. I already explained the pick and roll in a previous thread, so I don't discuss it this time. But there's a link to it in in the blog.

Here's the link: http://forums.lakersground.net/blog.php/2009/04/09/set-plays-of-the-los-angeles-lakers/

ay wilt. tell LG to some how place this software on the server so we can see it in action. DB knows about it, i put LG up on it years ago.

http://www.jes-soft.com/playbook/index.html

^^^

i'm telling you, everyone would be looking at your diagrams if they were animated. most of us are looking now. but even the average joe fan would really learn something.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject:

pkflyers wrote:

It's fine. The point of this is to spread information. People can do whatever they want to do with it. I don't do it for money. Most likely, people will just link to it because the explanations are just as important as the diagrams.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Looks great! Well done
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Set Plays of the Lakers (my first LG blog!)

postandpivot wrote:
Wilt wrote:

ay wilt. tell LG to some how place this software on the server so we can see it in action. DB knows about it, i put LG up on it years ago.

http://www.jes-soft.com/playbook/index.html

^^^

i'm telling you, everyone would be looking at your diagrams if they were animated. most of us are looking now. but even the average joe fan would really learn something.

I have heard about jes-soft. I have used it before. I just don't like how it looks. There used to be a software called "coach's edge." It was the best animation software ever. It actually had good graphics and it was easy to use. But then around 2002, it was bought by a larger company and it stopped existing. I used the demo version extensively for a while, just to play around and make up new plays. Jes-soft hasn't really changed in many years and I don't like using it. I appreciate your suggestion, though.

Then again, I might do it if there's enough interest in it.
Fishlakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Great Job Man on explaining and using the diagrams!
Game 3 Victory in Denver . Mostly they were talking about Fisher's speech, the kind that might one day be put on T-shirts and repeated on the corner of 11th and Figueroa, words fit for a parade, his Lakers stepping into their destiny. L.A. Times 2009
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Set Plays of the Lakers (my first LG blog!)

Wilt wrote:

I have heard about jes-soft. I have used it before. I just don't like how it looks. There used to be a software called "coach's edge." It was the best animation software ever. It actually had good graphics and it was easy to use. But then around 2002, it was bought by a larger company and it stopped existing. I used the demo version extensively for a while, just to play around and make up new plays. Jes-soft hasn't really changed in many years and I don't like using it. I appreciate your suggestion, though.

Wilt, I created a thread at this software forum I go to. Sometimes, people there will create software for you if you tell them what you're looking for. Go here:
LINK

Tell them exactly what you would like to have in the software and they might be able to do it for you. Hope it helps.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Set Plays of the Lakers (my first LG blog!)

superboy wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Wilt, I created a thread at this software forum I go to. Sometimes, people there will create software for you if you tell them what you're looking for. Go here:
LINK

Tell them exactly what you would like to have in the software and they might be able to do it for you. Hope it helps.

I managed to find a coach's edge animation on the web. It was probably created a long time ago, but can still be accessed on acc.com, explaining a play from women's basketball.

Click here: http://www.theacc.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111799aae.html (it requires shockwave)

That is the perfect software. Animation, lines, and explanation. And it looks good. You can post there again if you want to and just post this link.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject:

wonderful...now doc rivers knows our plays
Master)v(ind
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject:

Will you be putting all of your previous PDF files in your blog as well?
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject:

Master)v(ind wrote:
Will you be putting all of your previous PDF files in your blog as well?

In a few days, yes.

If I find the time, I'll do similar things during the playoffs not just for the Lakers, but I'll also analyze other teams as well, mainly the Cavs and Celtics.
Lakers Dynasty 2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject:

Time for the Lakers themselves to take a look

Very cool stuff, great work Wilt!
bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Thanks so much Wilt
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Wilt, do you have any insights into why the Lakers seem to go away from inside-out basketball, especially in the 2nd half of games? Are their spacing and positioning problems due to defensive adjustments? Do they move away from the triangle? Are they actually correct choices within the triangle?
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject:

When they are behind in games, especially on the road, they abandon the system too early and simplify everything. Then it becomes predictable Kobe-basketball with pick and rolls and isolations. I am all in favor of pick and rolls (especially the Kobe-Odom-Gasol pick and roll), but they should be used occasionally. Teams can adjust easily to it by pressuring full court, or denying Kobe the ball, making him catch the pass far from his desired spot, etc. We use too much time on the shot clock, and then we force shots. The Triangle should be used throughout the game in all halfcourt possessions except in the last 4 or 5 minutes. When you run the system correctly, it becomes an inside-out game, which, as we all know, is a much more effective way of doing things, especially with someone like Gasol on the team. It doesn't mean that Kobe won't get the ball, but he'll get it in his sweet spot without working hard to get the ball early in the shotclock far from the basket. Late in games, though, it should be pick and rolls and set plays for Gasol and Bynum in the post.

I didn't watch the second half of the Blazers game (had to leave the house), but it sounds like Kobe forced a lot of shots late in the game. They have to fix that.

Spacing has been a mess lately. It also doesn't help that Vujacic and Ariza haven't shot well. But they should adjust to it and have more deliberate cuts, especially Ariza and Odom. Reminds me too much of the Finals last year.

We'll fix most of it.
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Wilt -- how do you feel about Luke's value as a facilitator (esp. in enabling the inside-out game) with the 1st unit? Do you think we overstate his value with the 1st unit?

One thing that consistently bothers me is where Bynum often gets fed the ball. It often seems near at the top of the key, which takes him out of optimal rebounding position. Is it normal for the five to be getting the ball there? Should Bynum be primarily looking for cutters at that position?
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject:

They run set plays sometimes at the high post for both Bynum and Gasol, eventually resulting in a pick and roll. Ideally, it should be run when there's high pressure, but they sometimes run it as set plays (I didn't write about it in the blog). So yes, it makes sense for Bynum to be there, but only when there's pressure. I don't like that they put Bynum and Gasol there deliberately. When you don't have pressure, you can't have many successful cuts when you put your center at the high post. Screws up the spacing and, as you said, puts the center away from the basket and in bad rebounding position.

I think Luke's true value is in semi-fast break situations where his accurate passing really helps with Bynum or Gasol deep in the post. Bynum, especially, likes to run straight to the post. Luke's pass is always accurate. But when the game slows down and becomes halfcourt, Luke's lack of outside shooting screws up the spacing and either he has to get closer to the basket or the center has to go closer to him to get the ball. It doesn't help that Bynum often doesn't fight well for position. They should re-post there more often, like Shaq used to do. Bring the ball out, get better position, and post up again. And make Luke cut to the basket to discourage a double team.
thowze
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Set Plays of the Lakers (my first LG blog!)

Quote:

Great job. What I would LOVE to see is some video clips of them running these plays, or even snap shots of live footage in their positions.
laker818fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject:

lakerforever24 wrote:
wonderful...now doc rivers knows our plays

....who cares? lakers always show the triangle offense on their basketball 101.
minorbravo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject:

Nice

I was thinking

is it more enjoyable to watch a Laker game knowing the plays the team is running?
camile09
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject:

explanations are just as important as the diagrams.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: