May 11th: "Efevberha to work out with Lakers." "Kobe and Barkley exchange text messages." "Steve Novak to workout for the Lakers."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: May 11th: "Efevberha to work out with Lakers." "Kobe and Barkley exchange text messages." "Steve Novak to workout for the Lakers."

Efevberha to work out with Lakers

Daily News Staff and Wire Services

Former Cal State Northridge guard Mike Efev- berha said he will participate in a workout with the Los Angeles Lakers this morning at 9 at the team's practice facility in El Segundo.

Efevberha, a junior who led the Matadors in scoring (17.1 ppg), announced last month that he was forgoing his senior season at Northridge to make himself eligible for the NBA draft. He has since signed with an agent, Ara Vartanian, and will not return to college.

"I'm really excited," Efevberha said. "I can't wait to get in there and show people what I can do. I'm basically going in there playing for a job."

Stanford point guard Chris Hernandez also is expected to participate in this morning's workout.

- Ramona Shelburne

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/569959

Last edited by Phil on Thu May 11, 2006 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject:

Kobe addicted to text messaging?
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Ben Maller Exclusive!!

Kobe Bryant, star of the Los Angeles Lakers, spent much of Sunday exchanging text messages with Charles Barkley, according to TNT's Ernie Johnson.

Johnson, appearing as a guest on The Drive on Fox Sports Radio with Chris Myers and Ben Maller, said Kobe was upset that Barkley called him selfish for shooting 35 times in game 6 and again calling him selfish for shooting only 3 times in the second half of game 7. "Apparently on Sunday, Kobe was text messaging Charles and so they swapped text messages for an extended part of Sunday."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:

:roll:

Kobe Bryant's Game 7 No Shot Pout the most selfish act in sports since Phil Mickelson's Ryder Cup equipment switch
| Thursday May 11, 2006 | 02:34:00

For those of you who live under a rock - or in some completely soccer mad country, which is almost the same thing - and missed it, Kobe Bryant basically pouted away a Game 7 vs. the Phoenix Suns the other night. Lightly criticized in the Los Angeles papers for going off for 50 points and supposedly ignoring his teammates in a Game 6 loss, and no doubt urged by Phil Jackson to get those teammates involved in Game 7, Kobe decided to stage one of his shot boycotts.

So with the Lakers down 15 points at halftime, the most dominant player in the NBA, the guy who dropped 81 on the Raptors earlier this season, refused to shoot in the second half. Kobe took three shots total in the last 24 minutes - what he gets up in some single minutes - and the Lakers got humiliated.

Anyone who's followed Kobe knows this isn't exactly new behavior. He did the same thing against the Kings in a game a year ago. But this was Game 7 of the playoffs.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:

DAILY DIME: SPECIAL EDITION
10 greatest point guards ever

Magic Johnson

Team: Los Angeles Lakers (1979-91, 1996)

Titles: 5 (1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988)

Honors: 12-time All-Star, three-time MVP (1987, 1989, 1990), three-time Finals MVP (1980, 1982, 1987), Hall of Fame

The player: The prototype big point guard. The only player in NBA history who could dominate -- not just play -- all five positions.

Magic was the best ever in transition. He led the break and shoved the ball down your throat or backed you down and carved you up with a pass or drive.

He was unselfish -- but not to a fault (he'd take over and score when necessary) -- and he made passing cool.

Given his age (a rookie at age 20), the stakes (NBA Finals), the opponent (Dr. J and the 76ers) and the fact that he moved to center to replace injured legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic's 42-point, 15-rebound, 7-assist, 3-steal effort in the title-clinching Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals was probably the best individual performance of all time.

It could be argued that he's the one player in NBA history who was better than Michael Jordan.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Official 2005-06 All-Defensive Team

2005-06 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM

Position Player, Team 1st 2nd Points
Guard Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 26 3 55
Center Ben Wallace, Detroit 26 2 54
Forward Andrei Kirilenko, Utah 19 6 44
Forward Ron Artest, Sacramento 11 8 30
Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 12 4 28
Guard Jason Kidd, New Jersey 9 10 28
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Novak preps for auditions
Marquette senior aims to make NBA roster
By TODD ROSIAK
trosiak _at_ journalsentinel.com
Posted: May 11, 2006

With his final exams behind him and a degree in communications studies on the way, Marquette senior Steve Novak has set his sights on joining former teammates Dwyane Wade and Travis Diener in the National Basketball Association.

The 6-foot-10 forward will begin his journey toward professional basketball in earnest on Tuesday, when he travels to Washington for a four-day boot camp of individual instruction and personal training arranged by his agent, Doug Neustadt.

Shortly thereafter, Novak will begin crisscrossing the United States for a series of workouts with individual teams, beginning with the Houston Rockets on May 24. From there, he'll also work out for the Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies, Minnesota Timberwolves and hometown Milwaukee Bucks.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Sir Charles too tough on Kobe
BY JASON WHITLOCK
Knight Ridder Newspapers

LOS ANGELES - Man, I figured Charles Barkley could play the dozens, talk a little smack. The way Barkley spent all NBA season blasting Kobe Bryant, I just assumed the Round Mound would know how to respond when someone served him a little bit of what he dishes nightly on TNT's wonderful pre- and postgame show "Inside the NBA."

So I was shocked when I heard Barkley immediately go into fat-joke retorts on the Dan Patrick radio show Wednesday in response to the barbs I slung his way earlier this week on ESPN's "Jim Rome is Burning."

"Dan, it's funny, what's my man, Jabba the Hut, has been killing me the last couple of days," Barkley told Patrick, who was caught totally by surprise.

"Who's Jabba the Hut?" Patrick asked.

"Jason Whitlock," Barkley responded. "He's been killing me all week, like I've got a vendetta against Kobe. It's just funny how people, he said I called Kobe a chicken, and I said that's not exactly what happened. See, and that was really unfair."

Seriously, I was expecting better from Barkley. I've been out in LA all week, surrounded by Lakers and (bandwagon) Clippers fans, so I started paying close attention to the NBA playoffs. The Lakers-Suns series was marvelous. I was on the brink of becoming an authentic, unapologetic Kobe Bryant fan.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: