Lakers in the News: 2/22/14: Nick Young to return Sunday - Nicks Agent Reports he wants to stay with the Lakers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News: 2/22/14: Nick Young to return Sunday - Nicks Agent Reports he wants to stay with the Lakers

Quote:
MarShon Brooks, Kent Bazemore debut, help Lakers end record streak

Associated Press

Lakers Snap Home Losing Skid

The Lakers beat the Celtics 101-92 to snap their franchise-worst eight-game home losing streak.
Tags: NBA, Los Angeles Lakers, Boston Celtics, Jeff Green, Jordan Farmar, MarShon Brooks, Kent Bazemore
VIDEO PLAYLIST
Suns Stun Spurs
LOS ANGELES -- In their first game with the Lakers and coach Mike D'Antoni, MarShon Brooks and Kent Bazemore made sure Los Angeles came out a winner in the latest matchup of the NBA's most storied rivalry.

Brooks scored 10 of his 14 points in the fourth quarter against his former club, spearheading a 101-92 victory over Boston on Friday night and helping snap a franchise-record eight-game home losing streak. Bazemore had 15 points, including a pair of clutch 3-pointers less than 2 minutes apart during the final 4:20 as the Lakers outscored the Celtics 38-18 in the final period.

"Me and Kent just wanted to come out here and play with some energy," Brooks said. "I was tired -- real tired. But D'Antoni gives you that confidence and he lets you go out there and play your game. So I felt free doing that. The difference in the game was on the other side of the ball. We played real good defense, forced some turnovers, and that really got us going in the fourth quarter."

The Lakers are Brooks' fifth NBA club and third this season. He played 10 games with the Celtics before he was dealt to the Warriors on Jan. 15 in a three-team trade that brought Joel Anthony to Boston.

"You know what, man? A lot of people think I should be mad at the Boston Celtics. But I guarantee you, no one is happier for me than (coach) Brad Stevens and (assistant coach) Jay Larranaga," Brooks said. "They've seen all the work I've put in, and it's paid off."

The two guards barely had time to get acquainted with their new teammates following Wednesday's trade that sent Steve Blake to the Golden State Warriors. But Brooks and Bazemore both turned the game around after the Lakers fell behind by as many as 13 points late in the third quarter.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489697

Last edited by Cha*n on Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Some new blood gives Lakers shot in the arm

Recently acquired MarShon Brooks sparks fourth-quarter rally and Kent Bazemore has 15 points in a 101-92 victory over the Boston Celtics.

By Ben Bolch
February 22, 2014

The rivalry that produced Jerry West versus Bill Russell, Magic Johnson versus Larry Bird and Kobe Bryant versus Paul Pierce offered a new matchup Friday night:

MarShon Brooks versus Jerryd Bayless.

It was actually more enticing than it sounds, Brooks nudging a proud but wayward franchise ahead of its archnemesis, if just for one night.

Brooks sparked an 11-point comeback in the fourth quarter of his Lakers debut, helping his new team blow past the hated Boston Celtics in a 101-92 victory that had Staples Center rocking for one of the few times this season.

BOX SCORE: Lakers 101, Boston Celtics 92

The guard did a little bit of everything, diving on the floor to force a jump ball and converting a steal into a dunk while scoring 10 of his 14 points in the final 12 minutes as the Lakers ended a franchise-record eight-game losing streak at home. Fellow newcomer Kent Bazemore had 15 points for the Lakers, including two late three-pointers.

“Everybody got energized by these guys,” Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni said. “It was nice to see some people competing.”

Of course, it almost seemed a given the Lakers couldn't escape more grim news on the injury front.

The team announced that Bryant was still experiencing pain, soreness and swelling in his left knee and will be re-evaluated in three weeks, putting him in jeopardy of missing the rest of the season.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-celtics-20140222,0,4063239.story#ixzz2u4GaVEH2
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers seek context for player evaluation
February, 22, 2014
FEB 22
12:29
AM PT
By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- Pop quiz: How can a statistical line of five points, eight assists and one steal by a player be considered to be better than his previous game of 20, 16 and three?

According to Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni, it's pretty easy to find the answer. Just look to see if the stats came in a win or a loss.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill
New additions Kent Bazemore, left, and MarShon Brooks made a good first impression, but their contributions the rest of the season will determine their future with the Lakers.
The stat lines just mentioned belong to Lakers point guard Kendall Marshall. The first set came in Friday's 101-92 win over the Boston Celtics, a game in which six Lakers scored in double digits and the team had some semblance of a normal rotation, with 10 healthy players suiting up and getting in the game.

The second came in Wednesday's 134-108 loss to the Houston Rockets, a game in which L.A. had only seven players available, and whatever good that came on offense was undone by all-out embarrassing defense that led to a franchise-worst eighth straight home loss.

Even though there was some joy and excitement in Staples Center for the first time in a long time Friday as the Lakers earned their first home win since Jan. 3 and swept the season series with the rival Celtics in the process, the reality is that even with the win, L.A. (19-36) is still 14th in the Western Conference, 13½ games out of a playoff spot with only 27 games left to play.

All the Lakers have left to play for this season is determining which players out of the 12 who have expiring contracts they will want to bring back for next season and beyond.

And while it's true the Lakers' chances of getting better positioning to add one player through the draft will be helped by losing, the best way the team will have a chance to properly determine what it has in those dozen other guys is to remain competitive.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/38951/lakers-seek-context-for-player-evaluation
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers rally to beat Celtics 101-92
(Mark J. Terrill/ Associated Press ) - Los Angeles Lakers guard Kent Bazemore, right, goes up for a shot as Boston Celtics center Jared Sullinger defends during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, in Los Angeles.

By Associated Press, Published: February 21 | Updated: Saturday, February 22, 1:29 AM
LOS ANGELES — In their first game with the Lakers and coach Mike D’Antoni, MarShon Brooks and Kent Bazemore made sure Los Angeles came out a winner in the latest matchup of the NBA’s most storied rivalry.

Brooks scored 10 of his 14 points in the fourth quarter against his former club, spearheading a 101-92 victory over Boston on Friday night and helping snap a franchise-record eight-game home losing streak. Bazemore had 15 points, including a pair of clutch 3-pointers less than 2 minutes apart during the final 4:20 as the Lakers outscored the Celtics 38-18 in the final period.

“Me and Kent just wanted to come out here and play with some energy,” Brooks said. “I was tired — real tired. But D’Antoni gives you that confidence and he lets you go out there and play your game. So I felt free doing that. The difference in the game was on the other side of the ball. We played real good defense, forced some turnovers, and that really got us going in the fourth quarter.”

The Lakers are Brooks’ fifth NBA club and third this season. He played 10 games with the Celtics before he was dealt to the Warriors on Jan. 15 in a three-team trade that brought Joel Anthony to Boston.

“You know what, man? A lot of people think I should be mad at the Boston Celtics. But I guarantee you, no one is happier for me than (coach) Brad Stevens and (assistant coach) Jay Larranaga,” Brooks said. “They’ve seen all the work I’ve put in, and it’s paid off.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/lakers-rally-to-beat-celtics-101-92/2014/02/22/9220bcfe-9b89-11e3-8112-52fdf646027b_story.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers get boost in win over Celtics
Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:30am EST

Lakers get boost in win over Celtics

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Lakers got a boost they could anticipate Friday night from the return to action of center Pau Gasol against the Boston Celtics.

Gasol, who had not played since Jan. 31 because of a groin-muscle injury, scored 16 points in the Lakers' come-from-behind, 101-92 victory over the Celtics at Staples Center. It snapped the Lakers' franchise-record home losing streak at eight.

But the biggest lift the Lakers got was from just-arrived guards MarShon Brooks and Kent Bazemore, who had languished on the Golden State Warriors bench. Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said made the difference with their energy as his team overcame an 11-point deficit in the fourth quarter to win going away, and his returning star agreed.

"They're looking for an opportunity, they got the opportunity and they did it," said Gasol, who added that he was pleased by his 22-minute stint. "I'm glad to be back out there again and be effective. Now, I just have to build on it."

Brooks, acquired with Bazemore from Golden State this week in the trade for Steve Blake, scored 10 of his 14 points in the fourth-quarter rally. Bazemore finished with 15 points and was lauded by D'Antoni for his work on defense.

"The first thing they brought was enthusiasm, and they competed the whole time," D'Antoni said. "I thought Bazemore did a great job defensively and running the floor. MarShon hit three or four baskets that kind of got us back in the game.

"So both of them played well, which I think energized the other guys that were on the court."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/22/bkn-celtics-lakers-writethru-idUSMTZEA2MDWEFV020140222
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Celtics fade away in fourth

By Baxter Holmes | GLOBE STAFF FEBRUARY 22, 2014

LOS ANGELES — MarShon Brooks couldn’t help himself.

After a few of his scoring drives to the basket late Friday night, the guard looked at the Celtics bench, at his former coach and teammates, and he smiled.

He was paying back a team that traded him away to Golden State last month. He was earning revenge against a club that never gave him much of a chance, instead keeping the former Providence College standout glued to the bench.

Brooks, who was making his Lakers debut after being traded from Golden State on Wednesday, didn’t gloat after scoring 10 of his 14 points in the game-deciding fourth quarter of the Lakers’ 101-92 win over Boston at Staples Center.

“You know what, man, a lot of people think I should be mad at the Boston Celtics,” Brooks said after the game, sitting in his locker. “But I guarantee you, there’s no one happier for me than [Celtics coach] Brad Stevens and [Celtics assistant] Jay Larranaga.” Stevens saw Brooks stay late to get up shots at the Celtics’ practice facility in Waltham, to play Larranaga in spirited games of one-on-one, even on off-days.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/22/celtics/rF4YeHGeGiU67cnBaYiGMO/story.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
New faces provide spark for Lakers in win over Celtics
Abbey Mastracco

FOX Sports West

FEB 22, 2014 1:08a ET

Kelvin Kuo / USA TODAY Sports
The Lakers' win over the Celtics ended a franchise-record eight-game home losing streak.

LOS ANGELES -- It's a rivalry that runs deeper than most in the NBA but Friday night's edition was missing some of the star power of games past.

Instead, the Lakers found two unlikely stars in their 101-92 win over the Celtics in guards Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks, the team's two newly acquired pieces from the Steve Blake trade.

Bazemore and Brooks, who only arrived in Los Angeles Friday morning, came off the bench and played the entirety of the fourth quarter, helping the Lakers outscore the Celtics by 20 points. Bazemore played a team-high 33 minutes and scored a career-high 15 points. Brooks put in a season-high 14.

"They energized the other guys on the court," said head coach Mike D'Antoni. "They’ve got to have the right mindset. Their mindset was probably, 'I have an opportunity to do it, may well make the best of it tonight.' "

The win couldn't have come at a better time. It stopped a four-game losing streak and ended a franchise-record eight-game home streak.

Their opportunities were somewhat unexpected. Prior to the game, D'Antoni said the two would be worked into the rotation slowly and given time to learn the plays. However, Brooks had a familiarity with Boston already having played 10 games as a Celtic this season before being traded to Golden State Jan. 25.

"It helped a lot they I knew what they were trying to do," Brooks said. "I knew the play calls, I knew the plays, so just being out there taking to Kent - I know that he was guarding one of their best guys in Jeff Green and I knew when they called the plays. I would be like, 'Kent, here comes the New York screen,' or 'Here comes that.'"

Brooks was more well-versed in Boston’s plays than those his own team ran.

"They don't even know half the friggin' plays," said center Chris Kaman, only half-jokingly. "They didn't know any of the out of the bounds plays. They're like, 'What are we doing?' I said, 'Just go stand in the corner. I'll throw a pick for you.'"

Brooks was once a scorer with New Jersey, averaging 12.6 points per game as a rookie. Bazemore is relatively unknown, undrafted out of Old Dominion last summer. Both are two guys looking for a chance. Bazemore said their goals were to not embarrass themselves in front of Kobe Bryant and prove that they belong.

"I set the bar kind of high for myself, not being drafted," Bazemore said. "I just continue to work hard every day and I was hopeful I'd get my opportunity and today, I just went out there and the players welcomed me with open arms.

"They believed in me and we came out on top."

"It's just basketball," Brooks said. "D'Antoni said before the game, just go out there and play with confidence and just play my game."

http://msn.foxsports.com/west/story/new-faces-provide-spark-for-lakers-in-win-over-celtics-022114
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers rally in fourth quarter to beat the Celtics, 101-92

Lakers forward Ryan Kelly tries to block a reverse layup by Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo in the first half Friday night at Staples Center. (Michael Nelson / EPA / February 21, 2014)
Related photos »
Also

Photos: Lakers vs. Celtics

By Eric Pincus
February 21, 2014, 10:20 p.m.

The Lakers overcame an 11-point third quarter deficit with a dominant fourth quarter to sweep the season series against the Boston Celtics with a 101-92 victory on Friday night at Staples Center.

Newcomers Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks sparked the fourth-quarter run, playing their first games with the Lakers since a Wednesday night trade sent Steve Blake to the Golden State Warriors and brought them to the Lakers.

Bazemore played more than 33 minutes and scored a career-high 15 points, including two three-pointers in the fourth quarter. Brooks was also a force in the final quarter, scoring 14 points on 7-of-11 shooting from the field.

Coach Mike D'Antoni stuck with Chris Kaman, Jordan Hill, Jordan Farmar, Bazemore and Brooks through the fourth as the Lakers outscored the Celtics, 38-18, in the quarter.

Jeff Green led the Celtics with 21 points. Brandon Bass added 20 for Boston, which shot only 39.2% from the field. Jared Sullinger and Gerald Wallace each scored 12 while Rajon Rondo dished 11 assists but finished with six points on 2-of-12 shooting. Sullinger had a double-double with 12 boards.

Pau Gasol, Jodie Meeks and Kaman led the Lakers with 16 points. Hill chipped in 10 points for L.A., which shot 48.2% from the field. Hill also collected 12 rebounds for a double-double.

Kendall Marshall led the Lakers with eight assists and four turnovers. The Lakers survived 18 turnovers as a team while giving up 16 offensive rebounds to Boston. The Lakers had just nine.

The Lakers (19-36) host the Brooklyn Nets (25-27) on Sunday at Staples Center.

The Celtics (19-37) travel north to play the Sacramento Kings (18-36) on Saturday.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-vs-boston-celtics-game-updates-20140221,0,3039625.story#ixzz2u4KTtDeK
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe Bryant out 3 weeks or more
Updated: February 22, 2014, 8:38 AM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was examined by team physician Dr. Steve Lombardo on Friday, and it was determined the 18-year veteran will be sidelined another three weeks before being re-evaluated because of continued pain, swelling and soreness in his injured left knee.

Bryant, 35, has been sidelined since Dec. 17 with a fracture of the lateral tibial plateau in the knee.

He is averaging 13.8 points, 6.3 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 42.5 percent shooting in six games this season, but has missed the Lakers' last 30 games. He missed the Lakers' first 19 games this season because of a torn Achilles in his left leg.

[+] Enlarge
Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty Images
Kobe Bryant has been out since December after fracturing the lateral tibial plateau in his knee.
Missing three more weeks before another evaluation brings the calendar to March 14, at which point there will be only 17 games left in the regular season for the Lakers. And even if Bryant is cleared for contact drills at that point, he would assuredly need some additional practice time before he could make a return.

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni was asked if Bryant would return at all this season after the Lakers' 101-92 win Friday night over the Celtics.

"I don't know," D'Antoni said. "That's out of my hands. We'll see. I have no answer to that one."

Teammate Pau Gasol simply offered his support.

"I know it's tough for him and it's been a very tough year for him," Gasol said. "I just hope that he gets healthy. If it takes a little longer, it takes a little longer. If that means he might not play this season, I'm sure he'll stay positive and look ahead. So, the main thing is he's got to be healthy."

He also said that Bryant has done an admirable job of dealing with the injury.

"It's something new for him but I think so far he's been handling it well," Gasol said. "He's trying to keep himself in shape and work as much as he can so that if he gets the opportunity to get back, to be able to play again."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10500054/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-another-3-weeks-doctor-exam
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kobe Bryant injury update: Knee still hurting; next exam in three weeks

PUBLISHED Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 6:23 am EST
Tom Gatto Sporting News

Time is running out for Kobe Bryant as he tries to return from his knee injury this season.

Lakers team physician Stephen Lombardo examined the superstar guard at halftime of the team's game vs. the Boston Celtics on Friday. Bryant still has pain, swelling and soreness in his knee and will be re-evaluated in three weeks, which is March 14. The Lakers will have 16 games remaining after that date.

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant (AP Photo)
LA coach Mike D'Antoni told reporters he has no idea when or if Bryant will return.

"I don't know," D'Antoni said, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com. "That's out of my hands. We'll see. I have no answer to that one."

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said before the exam that the team will patient. It can afford to be as it languishes near the bottom of the Western Conference standings.

"We're not going to push him to get back," Kupchak told reporters. "I don't see why you would. We've made a commitment to him for two more years, and I just don't know why we'd do that (push him to come back). But if he feels he's ready and he's in shape and he gets the doctor's approval, then there's no reason why he couldn't do that."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-02-22/kobe-bryant-injury-update-knee-exam-los-angeles-la-lakers-achilles
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Celtics-Lakers Rivalry, Once Lustrous, Is Now Lackluster
By BILLY WITZFEB. 22, 2014
Launch media viewer
Kent Bazemore, right, acquired just a day earlier from Golden State, had 15 points to help the Lakers beat the Celtics on Friday. Mark J. Terrill/Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — It was just four years ago that the Celtics were beaten by the Lakers, and Coach Doc Rivers went around the visitors’ locker room and collected $100 from every player and coach. He removed a ceiling tile and hid the money behind it, then told his players they would be coming back in June to collect it.

Such was the Celtics’ self-assurance in this, the N.B.A.’s most storied rivalry, that they indeed returned to Los Angeles for the N.B.A. finals, where they got their hands on their cash but not another championship trophy, losing a crushing seventh game to the Lakers.

These days, though, hubris is on hiatus.

That much was clear Friday when the Lakers’ 101-92 comeback victory over Boston was sparked by Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks, who had been acquired the day before as spare parts from Golden State.

It was a sign of the depths to which these two franchises have sunk. The Celtics, who have lost 25 of their last 32 games, blew a 13-point second-half lead, enabling the Lakers, who have lost 23 of their last 29, to snap a franchise-record eight-game home losing streak and escape the Western Conference cellar

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/sports/basketball/celtics-lakers-rivalry-once-lustrous-is-now-lackluster.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Another setback for Lakers' Bryant

BY BILL ORAM / STAFF WRITER
Published: Feb. 21, 2014 Updated: 10:20 p.m.

MARK J. TERRILL, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES – Hope that Kobe Bryant will be able to play before the end of the season took another hit Friday when the Lakers said the superstar is still experiencing swelling and soreness in his left knee.
Bryant was examined Friday by a team physician, and will be reevaluated in three more weeks, the Lakers said. There are 27 games remaining, and it’s unclear if Bryant could return before the end of the regular season April 16.
He has appeared in only six games this season, missing the first month and a half because of a torn Achilles’ tendon. He has not played since Dec. 17, when he fractured the lateral tibial plateau in his left knee.
“It’s been a slow process,” Bryant told reporters last week at All-Star Weekend in New Orleans. He has still not been cleared for weight-bearing activities, and instead has been limited to training on a stationary bicycle.
“I just try to keep blinders on and do what I have to do,” Bryant said, “and not worry about too much what’s going on around you, but just try to stay focused on what your responsibilities are.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/brooks-602894-lakers-season.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers newcomers light a spark in win over Celtics

BY BILL ORAM / STAFF WRITER
Published: Feb. 21, 2014 Updated: 11:16 p.m.

MARK J. TERRILL, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES – MarShon Brooks and Kent Bazemore were widely viewed as financially necessary but otherwise insignificant pieces of a deal made the day before the NBA’s trade deadline that helped the organization clear up a point guard logjam and shave payroll.
After Friday, that perception might need to be adjusted.
The two swingmen, who rarely played in Golden State, helped fuel a fourth-quarter rally at Staples Center as the Lakers won, 101-92, over the Boston Celtics, the rival franchise suffering through a season nearly as bad as that of the Lakers, and snapped an eight-game home losing streak.
“Both of them played well,” Coach Mike D’Antoni said. “I think that energized the other guys that were on the court. It’s nice to see some people competing.”
The duo, which averaged a combined 4.2 points per game with the Warriors, broke out against the Celtics. Bazemore scored 15 points, including a pair of 3-pointers down the stretch, while Brooks added 14.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/brooks-602895-lakers-antoni.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Nick Young to return Sunday
Updated: February 22, 2014, 6:10 PM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Less than three weeks after being diagnosed with a non-displaced fracture of the patella and a bone bruise in his left knee, Nick Young will be back in the lineup when the Los Angeles Lakers host the Brooklyn Nets on Sunday.

"I'm back, baby!" Young said to nobody in particular as he bounced off the court following Saturday's practice.

All told, Young missed the Lakers' last six games with the injury, caused by planting his left leg awkwardly while bracing for contact from Cleveland's C.J. Miles on a fast-break layup attempt Feb. 5.

"I didn't think it was going to be this long, to tell you the truth," Young said after his third practice since the All-Star break. "I'm just happy to be back. I can't wait to get out there tomorrow."

How did he recover so quickly?

"It's a miracle," Young said. "You can't keep the swag down."

While the Lakers should benefit from having Young, their second-leading scorer this season at 16.9 points per game, back in the mix, he is realistic about what motivation his 19-36 team has left for the rest of the year.

"We ain't playing for no playoffs here, we just got to play for ourselves and give the fans something to see," Young said.

One thing Young is playing for is a new contract. Young has a player option to return to the Lakers for $1.2 million next season, but he has played well enough to warrant a more lucrative deal.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10503310/nick-young-los-angeles-lakers-return-sunday-brooklyn-nets
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers notes: Bryant will miss at least 10 more games

By Mark Medina, Los Angeles Daily News
POSTED: 02/21/14, 10:55 PM PST |
Kobe Bryant vowed he won’t sit out for the sake of improving the Lakers’ draft position or healing his 35-year-old body.

It might not matter.

The Lakers have penciled Bryant out for at least another three weeks after an examination on Friday showed he has persisting pain, swelling and soreness in his fractured left knee. Bryant will miss at least 10 more games and could only return as early as March 14 in San Antonio. Bryant’s rehab has only entailed riding a stationary bike.

“We’re hopeful that he can get back,” Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said this week. “We’re not going to push him to get back. I don’t see why you would. We’ve made a commitment to him for two more years.”

Deeper into the article:

Quote:
“Nick wants to be a Laker,” Young’s agent, Mark Bartelstein told this newspaper. “But his focus right now is to get healthy, get back on the court soon and finish the rest of the season.”

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20140221/lakers-notes-agent-says-nick-young-wants-to-be-with-team
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject:

I really hope Swaggy P comes back, next season.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject:

For no more than 2m a year, sure.
BasketballReasons?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

He deserves more money than that...3-4 million per year.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject:

BasketballReasons? wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

If brooks plays well, he is out leverage and insurance over swaggy.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
BasketballReasons? wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

If brooks plays well, he is out leverage and insurance over swaggy.

Probably that's what Brooks and Bazemore are here for low cost insurance if any of the Blake/Meeks?Young are not resigned.

Especially if the Lakers are going to draft a bigman, and their free agent buy is a younger PG (say Lowry, e.g.) . Then maybe the plan is a low cost measure. Kobe plays SG/SF and Young and Bazemore play the other position and the backup 6th man minutes. Sort of a 3 man SF/SG rotation.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject:

^IMO just give him the 3mil .. i think he'll stay for that; he's probly worth 5mil on the market. i think hes worth our 3mil..
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject:

I do hope Nick comes back. Keep some young legs around if the team is daring to do Nash/Kobe/Pau again in 2014-15.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: