Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
EHL_2 wrote:
Is the "West didn't want Magic" bit actually confirmed? Is that from some book because I haven't ever read that anywhere on the Internet or papers.

Then again, West has a lot more to show off; like Shaq in FA (one of the biggest FA pickups ever), Kobe for Vlade (lopsided^10), James Worthy for nothing (almost litterally nothing), NVE/Divac/Campbell late in draft, Eddie Jones in the lotto (jackpot), Horry, and etc. etc.

actually bro... Worthy was won in a coin toss between sterling and buss

And the pick that was Magic was won in a coin toss between the Lakers and Kings. Just think, Magic was almost a King. I am racking my brain trying to remember who West was pushing (I think it was Montcrief). West was a consultant at the time, and Buss was buying the team. Buss ended up making the purchase contingent upon Cooke drafting Magic. The good Dr. showed his smarts here from before Day 1.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

i think buss needs to join barkely in gamblers rehab clinic
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
the thing is...... J West may not be no better at scouting then Kupchack...but Jwest knows how to run and manage a team.... if West was here Kobe and Shaq would still exist... simple as that

Correct.

West knows how to put together a team after he brought in Kobe and Shaq in the same year.

West was also voted Executive of the Year (twice)
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
EHL_2 wrote:
Is the "West didn't want Magic" bit actually confirmed? Is that from some book because I haven't ever read that anywhere on the Internet or papers.

Then again, West has a lot more to show off; like Shaq in FA (one of the biggest FA pickups ever), Kobe for Vlade (lopsided^10), James Worthy for nothing (almost litterally nothing), NVE/Divac/Campbell late in draft, Eddie Jones in the lotto (jackpot), Horry, and etc. etc.

And the pick that was Magic was won in a coin toss between the Lakers and Kings. Just think, Magic was almost a King. I am racking my brain trying to remember who West was pushing (I think it was Montcrief). West was a consultant at the time, and Buss was buying the team. Buss ended up making the purchase contingent upon Cooke drafting Magic. The good Dr. showed his smarts here from before Day 1.

And so what's the point? You're right. West wanted Montcrief because we had Stormin Norman Nixon. Whether it was Buss or not, I'm not sure but we ended up taking Magic and we know what happened.

But a five to six years later, Buss wanted to trade Worthy for Tarpley and Marc Aguirre. But West said no. Worthy stayed and we won two more titles.

So in the end, we called it even.

But West made moves over time. Won GM of the year in 94-95. Brought in Kobe and Shaq. I guess he did something right.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

dont compare mitch to Jerry :roll: ...not even in the same class
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject:

Jerry West is recognized as one of the best talent evaluators in the NBA. His record is outstanding, but the nature of the business is risky. Nick Van Exel was excellent at #37. Troy Bell, who looked like the next NVE was looking very good until he was injured. Circumstances can make you look very bad at times.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
the thing is...... J West may not be no better at scouting then Kupchack...but Jwest knows how to run and manage a team.... if West was here Kobe and Shaq would still exist... simple as that

Correct.

West knows how to put together a team after he brought in Kobe and Shaq in the same year.

West was also voted Executive of the Year (twice)

That's the part most fans overlook. GM does more than just draft/trade players. The organization most of us grew to love in the 80's & 90's were a direct result of West's business savvy and vision of what the Laker organization should be. No wonder why the Buss family and Mitch seem lost and indecisive. West was the mind and soul of the Laker organization, that's a lot to lose (and especially at one of the team's most challenging times). Chick was the heart. Both are gone.

This new version of the Lakers needs to find itself before we'll see a return to greatness. It's not just players. It's direction that West provided. The next GM/President will need to have a clarity of thought that the current leadership lacks.
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

West doesn't have hasn't drafted any starters because Memphis has starting quality players coming off the bench. This is a stupid article. And it's even stupider comparing West to Mitch. Where were the Grizzlies before West came along? Please believe if West had a Kobe Bryant type player he would surround him with better than NBDL calibre talent.
WalterJ187
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Well facts are facts, and its a what have u dont for me lately world.

Very true. Memphis hasn't even won a playoff game yet, right? Not one. They're 0 for the franchise!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
EHL_2 wrote:

And so what's the point?

My point? The one constant in all the championships the LA Lakers won has been Dr. Buss. As long as he is in charge, I won't worry.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
EHL_2 wrote:

And so what's the point?

My point? The one constant in all the championships the LA Lakers won has been Dr. Buss. As long as he is in charge, I won't worry.

Jerry Buss was not the owner of the Laker for every one of their championships in L.A..
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

True, shouldn't have said "all". 8 out of 9.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
EHL_2 wrote:

And so what's the point?

Jerry Buss was not the owner of the Laker for every one of their championships in L.A..

True...

In addition, though Magic was absolutely the right choice, Dr. Buss chose him not for basketball talent. It was more marketing, as Magic had just led his team to an NCAA title, and was extremely charismatic. At the time, the Lakers were a very very distant third to the Dodgers and Rams in terms of fan interest.

Note: You could say that about the league in general. Magic and Bird transformed the NBA to a big-time money sport.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
True, shouldn't have said "all". 8 out of 9.

Just bustin on ya, VLF.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
EHL_2 wrote:

Yeah, Buss offered 1mil to Sterling for the no 1 pick and Sterling refused and lost the toss. It was a choice between 3 players rated almost the same. Worthy, Dominique (The human highlight) Wilkins, and another player whose name escapes me. Any of them would have fit with the Lakers and all had very good careers.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
West doesn't have hasn't drafted any starters because Memphis has starting quality players coming off the bench. This is a stupid article. And it's even stupider comparing West to Mitch. Where were the Grizzlies before West came along? Please believe if West had a Kobe Bryant type player he would surround him with better than NBDL calibre talent.

I don't care who you are. If you draft 4,13,13,19,27 you should get some starters out of them. West gets the Griz to the playoffs twice and he's a god. I can't remember when the Lakers weren't in except for last year. They have West. We have Buss...
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Jerry West is recognized as one of the best talent evaluators in the NBA. His record is outstanding, but the nature of the business is risky. Nick Van Exel was excellent at #37. Troy Bell, who looked like the next NVE was looking very good until he was injured. Circumstances can make you look very bad at times.

Troy Bell played in Europe where he was known as Air Bell.
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: report from Memphis on Jerry West and the draft

KwamesMyGuy wrote:
jbjb wrote:
"The Grizzlies have used or traded five first-round draft picks in West's four years in Memphis, Nos. 4, 13, 13, 19 and 27 overall. They've made or acquired another five second-round picks. They don't have a single starter to show for it. They have Mike Miller, obtained in a trade for Drew Gooden. They have another three players (Jones, Hakim Warrick and Lawrence Roberts) who combined to average 25 minutes a game last year. That's simply not good enough. In an otherwise sterling run in Memphis, it's the one area where West has -- might as well be honest about it -- flopped." Memphis Commercial Appeal

Not much better (if at all) than Mitch actually

Prepare to get bashed you know how every gm not named Mitch is overrated here

One thing you can't say West has done, is spending the team's MLE the last two years on such great players as Vlade and Aaron McKie!
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
EHL_2 wrote:

Don't you guys mean toin coss?
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

WalterJ187 wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

Very true. Memphis hasn't even won a playoff game yet, right? Not one. They're 0 for the franchise!

Jerry West does not have Kobe Bryant playing for Memphis. He does not have Shaq or Wade playing for Memphis. His team finishes higher than the lakers. He is stirring the waters looking for a gold strike which is more that I can say for Kupchak.

West did miss on Amare- picking Gooden instead. But no none knew anything about Amare then and Gooden was a Wooden award finalist- so it wasn't a bad risk. What the paper didn't discuss was West's choice of coach- first Hubie Brown to develop the young memphis team and then Fratello for continuity.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
WalterJ187 wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

Jerry West does not have Kobe Bryant playing for Memphis. He does not have Shaq or Wade playing for Memphis. His team finishes higher than the lakers. He is stirring the waters looking for a gold strike which is more that I can say for Kupchak.

West did miss on Amare- picking Gooden instead. But no none knew anything about Amare then and Gooden was a Wooden award finalist- so it wasn't a bad risk. What the paper didn't discuss was West's choice of coach- first Hubie Brown to develop the young memphis team and then Fratello for continuity.

And for those that want to compare Kupcake with the logo.

When Kupcake was given the task to select a coach to replace Phil, he select Rudy. And we all know how that went.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

^that was jim buss
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
^that was jim buss

If this is true, who did Kupchak want instead?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: