2016 Draft/Prospects (if we lose our PHX pick this year)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject:

Thon is not that good of a 3pt shooter, its all youtube hype. Needs to be in the post. In HS he has shot 28 percent from 3, substance over hype? Plus he'll be 20 in 2016, he'll probably reclass in january to 2015. In 2016, I rather have Jaylen Brown, much better long term potential. Watch some of the Skal Labassiere videos recently he should be skyrocketing too.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject:

Justwar wrote:
Thon is not that good of a 3pt shooter, its all youtube hype. Needs to be in the post. In HS he has shot 28 percent from 3, substance over hype? Plus he'll be 20 in 2016, he'll probably reclass in january to 2015. In 2016, I rather have Jaylen Brown, much better long term potential. Watch some of the Skal Labassiere videos recently he should be skyrocketing too.

A 7' Loul Deng.

I don't feel that confident about Jaylen Brown.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Justwar wrote:

A 7' Loul Deng.

I don't feel that confident about Jaylen Brown.

possible if he plays d
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Josh Jackson is my guy
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Josh Jackson is my guy

is he a Jr in high school right now? we're talking about 2016 draft prospects, so Sr. in high school right now
i think our pick is top5 protected for the 2017 draft though
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject:

I like Jaylen Brown quite a bit. He was the best player on the court in the Adidas Gauntlet game, which featured Maker as well. Excellent athlete who competes his ass off, has some ball handling/court vision, and can shoot a little from the perimeter.

I think the KG/Maker comparisons are appropriate, and I am old enough to remember when KG came out. When you watch Maker against high level competition, he's not really using his perimeter game to create very much. He bears much more resemblance to a traditional big.

KG in HS didn't shoot much from the perimeter because he didn't have to. But he would face guys up and beat them with a first step. I think they're very similar at the same age. KG was more explosive, Maker is more polished.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Josh Jackson is my guy

is he a Jr in high school right now? we're talking about 2016 draft prospects, so Sr. in high school right now
i think our pick is top5 protected for the 2017 draft though

Wow, that just makes the kid even more impressive. He's going to be something special. If he's not in the next draft I don't have a dog in the race. I'm not too impressed by that class. Ben Simmons seems like a tweener and maker has huge questions about his physique. I wouldn't mind watching maker develop but I really hope we're not in the draft lottery 3-years in a row. Rather have the pick this year.
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject:

Kg was soooooooooo dominant in HS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp_SzdYd2gs Lets remind people what kg looked like in HS
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject:

Justwar wrote:
Kg was soooooooooo dominant in HS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp_SzdYd2gs Lets remind people what kg looked like in HS

How does a video of dunking and blocking shots really differentiate KG from many other HS prospects? That's pretty much all the mix videos of HS prospects.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I like Jaylen Brown quite a bit. He was the best player on the court in the Adidas Gauntlet game, which featured Maker as well. Excellent athlete who competes his ass off, has some ball handling/court vision, and can shoot a little from the perimeter.

I think the KG/Maker comparisons are appropriate, and I am old enough to remember when KG came out. When you watch Maker against high level competition, he's not really using his perimeter game to create very much. He bears much more resemblance to a traditional big.

KG in HS didn't shoot much from the perimeter because he didn't have to. But he would face guys up and beat them with a first step. I think they're very similar at the same age. KG was more explosive, Maker is more polished.

thank you! finally someone else sees this. It's a trend i see with a lot of players. look at Wiggins, Aaron Gordon, Vonleh in high school -- great ball handlers in high school. point forwards - but when they advance to better competition their ball handling becomes much weaker. I've seen the same with Thon Maker.

Still though, Maker is skilled off the dribble, just not skilled/quick enough to beat Small Forwards.

Jaylen Brown on the other hand, really impressed me with his handle a few times. I'll still watch to see how it translates Vs. better competition - but Jaylen showed more willingness to keep his dribble alive/yo-yo than Andrew Wiggins in high school.

Malik Newman is my sleeper to have the best freshman year next college season. He's like a 6'3 Kemba, freak athlete.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Players like Garnett, durant, kobe were all super skinny coming into the NBA but they were also very wiry. They still managed to have enough strength to finish around the rim. Maker is not that type of skinny. If you expect him to play in the paint when he gets to the NBA you are going to be dissapointed. He gets pushed around by kids his age and can't hold on to rebounds or finish around the rim. He will never have the strength to play in the post at an NBA level. Never. So, if he can't play on the peremeter and work on his skills from out there he's got a very high bust potential.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Players like Garnett, durant, kobe were all super skinny coming into the NBA but they were also very wiry. They still managed to have enough strength to finish around the rim. Maker is not that type of skinny. If you expect him to play in the paint when he gets to the NBA you are going to be dissapointed. He gets pushed around by kids his age and can't hold on to rebounds or finish around the rim. He will never have the strength to play in the post at an NBA level. Never. So, if he can't play on the peremeter and work on his skills from out there he's got a very high bust potential.

Oh he's definitely going to be perimeter oriented -- PF. he has enough skill to tear up 4s on the perimeter -- but there's so much of a skill gap between that and being able to consistently beat SFs on the wing.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Oh he's definitely going to be perimeter oriented -- PF. he has enough skill to tear up 4s on the perimeter -- but there's so much of a skill gap between that and being able to consistently beat SFs on the wing.

I get the fascination with a 7 footer with a smooth looking pereeter game but I will reserve judgement until I see him in college.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject:

https://vine.co/v/OXPTDLlTM5Q
Here's Malik Pope, 6'10 SF showing what he can do on the perimeter!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: