Collection of Roster Information.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Collection of Roster Information.

Andrew Bynum

Strengths: Bynum’s greatest strength is clearly apparent: his mammoth size. Bynum is a legit 7 footer and possess impressive bulk (close to 300 pounds). He is also surprisingly mobile for a player of his size, drawing comparisons to a late 90s Shaquille O’Neal in the way he moves around the court (only in terms of his mobility, I don’t mean to suggest he has the skills which set Shaq apart). And while that size and mobility alone is enough to garner interest among NBA teams, Bynum has quite a few other facets to his game which make him such a highly touted prospect.

Everything Bynum does on the court is directly due to his size. On the offensive end, he has learned to use his bulk to push smaller players around on the court (and for him, most players are and will always be smaller). This often gets his defenders off balance, and allows him to get into great position near the basket. Once getting into position, he’s perfected a few go to moves (such as a soft turn around baby hook) to shoot over his defenders. This may seem like a simplistic offensive game... and it is. But it’s an effective one.

In terms of his shot, I should mention that in the Jordan Classic Bynum did hit a 3 point shot. I really don’t know what to make of this. It wasn’t a heave; it was a carefully calculated jumper that went in naturally. However, it was the first time I even saw him take a shot outside of 10 feet… and he sometimes misses those 5-10 feet jumpers. While it is certainly possible he developed a jumper between the time period I saw his games and the Jordan Classic (a period of about 2 months)… that does appear unlikely. This is a grey area for now, something we’ll keep an eye on as workouts progress.

On the defensive end of the court, he has accepted his position as a defensive anchor. He’s not a player who’s going to be coming from the far weak side to swat away shots. Instead, he practices keeping the ball away from the player he is defending by constantly muscling up to them. And when his man does get the ball, he is able to stay right on him using slightly above average lateral movement. And I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that it is pretty hard to post up a 300 pound player you can’t just spin around. Especially with his wingspan, Bynum is a very tough player to shoot over.

And finally, it should be noted that Bynum is a fairly young player, even for a high school senior: he is only 17 years old right now.

Weaknesses: Bynum is incredibly raw. Of course, we define him being “raw” in terms of the potential seen in him. When a player is 7’ and 300 pounds, and at least moderately skilled, the expectation will be that he dominates his opposition- period. In Bynum’s case, he simply isn’t that polished. He needs to improve his footwork (he has to be especially careful to avoid offensive fouls when he enters the league, stop dropping the shoulders, etc.), acquire a few more post moves, and learn to diversify his approach on both ends of the court. I would especially like to see him develop a few moves that aren’t completely due to his ability to shoot over a player: a spin move, an up and under, etc.

Also extremely important is to improve his passing skills. Right now he simply isn’t a good passer, especially in the post. This skill will be incredibly important in the league, as he will surely draw many double teams if he becomes a success. Without being able to pass out of those double teams, he could be rendered ineffective. After all, it should be noted the best centers in the league are all very good passers out of the post (Shaq, Ming, Brad Miller, Illgauskas, etc.). It’s a defining factor in the career of a new age NBA center- something all of them must be able to do.

Speaking outside of his basketball skills, some people have brought up issues regarding his maturity. There are questions as to whether he is actually ready for the NBA experience. It is hard to judge this at this point, but in the interviews we have had with him he has come across as an intelligent and well spoken individual. Immaturity? Well, he is a 17 year old kid. It’s natural that he acts like one. Whether that is a weakness will depend on what someone is looking at.

Competition: Bynum played in the 2005 McDonalds All-American game, where he finished with 9 points (3-5 FG, 3-3 FT), 5 rebounds, and 1 block in just 11 minutes of action. He also participated in the 2005 Jordan Classic, where he finished with 13 points (6-9 FG, 1-1 3pt), 5 rebounds, and 2 steals in just 15 minutes of game time. Outlook: Bynum had originally declared his intention to go to UCONN, where many were salivating at the possibility of a Josh Boone/Bynum frontcourt. Not to mention, wondering what wonders it would do for his game playing for Jim Calhoun and his coaching staff (remember the improvement players such as Emeka Okafor and Boone saw after attending UCONN).

Von Wafer
Guard | #22 | Sophomore | Roster
Height: 6-5
Weight: 210 lbs.
Hometown: Homer, LA
Florida State Players
All Players

Season Averages
YR GMS MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
2004-05 29 26.1 12.5 2.5 1.7 1.7 1/1 1.0 0.3 1.1 .437 .721 .396 1.27
2003-04 32 17.7 7.9 1.9 1.1 1.1 1/1 0.8 0.2 1.6 .369 .600 .326 1.04

Devin Green

Devin Green is a very interesting player in that he played and was recruited as a point guard in high school, but was forced to play small forward at Hampton due to his team's lack of height. Green is a very athletic player with a body chiseled from granite. Like Williams, he was not able to handle the ball that much in the open run due to his surrounding teammates. When he did have the ball in his hands, he showed a very tight handle and solid passing ability. One of the most impressive things about Green was his ability to consistently knock down the midrange jumper and collegiate three pointer. He did a great job of moving without the ball and finding open areas in which he was comfortable shooting the ball. Defensively, Devin used his great length and lateral quickness to stay in front of smaller players, usually strongly contesting any shot they put up.

The biggest obstacle that Devin will face is convincing NBA personnel that he is a point guard. Any game tapes from Hampton that they will receive will show him playing small forward, not really helping him at all. It is worthy of note that Green played point guard in the Black College All Star Game, eventually being named MVP of the game. If Devin is able to convince teams he is a point guard, I honestly feel that he has a legitimate shot to compete for a roster spot when its all said and done.
Devin Green is a very intriguing prospect in that he is 6'7 and has a terrific handle for a player of his size. Throughout all of the ball handling drills, it was very evident that he was the best ball handler of the group as he keeps the ball extremely tight and low to the ground. I find it interesting that what was once one of Green's main weaknesses, his mid-range jumper, is now one of his biggest strengths. In the drills that I saw, I counted him making 17 straight mid range jump shots on the move. His shooting range doesn't stop there as he can shoot the ball all the way out to the NBA three point line with solid form and nice lift on his shot. In the one on one drills, Devin showed the ability to create space against smaller defenders so that he could shoot right over top of them. He did a great job of reading what the defense gave him, pulling the three pointer when opposing players' hands were down and driving to the basket when crowded. Defensively, he held his own against the smaller guys, staying in front of them for the most part, but he really impressed me with how he was able to recover when he was beaten to either block or alter their shots because of his long arms and good leaping ability.

In the physical drills, Devin was exceptional in that he easily dunked the ball off of both his right and left legs while being pulled back by Lichter and his bands. When the bands came off, he really put on a show flying through the air and dunking with ease. He also passes the look test for a big NBA PG or WF for that matter, sporting a very long and muscular physique. From what I saw, he was the second strongest player of the camp, not too far behind Ricky Shields. Green also showed the ability to get to the rim from approximately 30 feet away from the basket with one dribble and two strides, a testament to how long and athletic he actually is. For you draft fans out there, you really have to try it for yourself to fully understand how hard it is.

Now you may ask yourself Ok, so where does this kid stand in terms of the draft? Well, you have a very good question there. I feel that if he can convince teams that he is a point guard, he is a legitimate prospect for the second round. If teams think he is a small forward, he is merely a marginal draft prospect. From what I have seen of him, he has the necessary ball handling and shooting skills needed to play point guard, but I have not had the chance to see him play point guard in a game situation due to the fact that he was forced to play small forward in college because of his teams lack of height. I was unfortunately unable to make it to the Black College All Star game in which he was named MVP when he played as a point guard. Draft fans should definitely keep Devin Green's name in their head because I'm confident that if he is able to convince a team that he can play point guard, you will be seeing him in the NBA within the next few years. He has already worked out for Denver and has an upcoming workout with Lakers scheduled.

Bon Donewald: Devin is a kid who I think people will be very surprised with because of his body. You're dealing with a 6'7 long armed athlete whose going to be a point guard. He's played point guard in high school once he got to college, he played off the ball. People who have seen his college tapes don't realize his ball handling skills, his passing skills, and his ability to run an offense. His mid range game is what we have really honed here with him in the last 4 weeks and I think its really starting to come around. I think he's a kid who if you see him between now and draft time, he could definitely go in the second round. He's surprising people who don't know about him, but I'd also be surprised if he doesn't wind up on a roster within the next two years.

Eric Lichter: Devin Green. I can't say enough good things about Devin. I think that this kid is the biggest sleeper in the draft. He's a 6'7 long player. He's got great strength. Devin is an incredible leaper as well. Devin can probably go 28, 29, 30 feet away from the rim and finish with one dribble and two steps. Another kid who is a great leaper. FAST JUMPER. His vertical is not just high, but he's quick. Very strong. Upper body is built. His conditioning is phenomenal. His mental approach, Devin is a lion. He just attacks, attacks, attacks. If you tell Devin we're going to train for 10 hours a day, he'd do it and he wouldn't question it. He's just ready to go and he's hungry. Devin is a very exciting, very strong, and very athletic player. Footwork, agility, moves as well laterally as he does forward, backward he’s got the total package. I think that any team that brings Devin in for a workout will see how physically talented he is, which is my area of expertise, but as well as skill. You saw a little bit of his work ethic today. All of these guys have been great and I can not say enough about all of them.

Nick Horvath

Appeared in 26 games for West Sydney in Australia last season… Averaged 20.4 ppg (.540 FG%), 11.1 rpg, 1.0 apg, and 1.27 rpg for the Razorbacks… Played collegiately at Duke University (1999-2000 - 2003-04)… Missed all but six games during the 2000-01 season with an injured right foot… Received a medical hardship for that season… Averaged 1.9 ppg and 1.5 rpg in 34 games during his senior season at Duke (2003-04)… Posted a season-high seven points at Wake Forest on Feb. 18, 2004… Played in 30 games as a junior in 2002-03, starting on eight occasions… Posted his first career double-double with 10 points and a career-high 12 rebounds against Florida State on Feb. 2, 2003… Registered a career-best 16 points against UCLA on Nov. 30, 2002… Graduated from Mounds View (Minn.) High School.

Antwain Barbour

Strengths: Owns a quick first step and is adept at taking defenders off the dribble ... Pure slasher who gets to the basket with ease. Capable of creating contact to pick up fouls. Once there he converts a high percentage of his free throws ... Very smooth player due to his wonderful body control. Looks as if he is playing effortlessly ... A coaches dream, has a great attitude towards the game and his work ethic shows it ... Possess excellent leaping ability (40-inch vertical) which makes him a terrific finisher in transition ... Has a great motor, plays well away from the ball ... Works well under the basket and gets a high number of his rebounds by out jumping opponents and pure hustle ... Unselfish. Barbour often drives to the basket and if the shot isn't there he looks for the open teammate ... Plays with great confidence and always remains competitive no matter what the score ... Above average defense for a junior college player due to quick hands, leaping ability, and good lateral quickness ... Mature player who takes his time when the ball is in his hands. Because of this he doesn't force too many shots ...

Weakness: Has had times where he plays inconsistent. One game he drops 20, the next game he struggles for 10, although this is usual for young players... Needs to become a better shooter from the perimeter, especially off the dribble, and needs a more consistent jumper from the outside ... Has had some problems with turnovers so working on better ball protection is a must ... His upper body strength at this point is still a little undeveloped although the reason could be that he is still growing into his body ...While defensively he has all the physical tools, he's still learning the basic fundamentals such as better anticipation skills and playing the passing lanes ... Although he has grown tremendously since high school he looks to be 6-3 1/2 to 6-4 not his listed height of 6-6 which makes one wonder if he will be able to play the 2-guard position ... Not a threat from behind the three-point line where his inconsistency is even more apparent
Made a name for himself by beating out many top Div l shooting guards for a spot on the USA Select team. A nice athlete with scoring ability. Had a bit of a down year his sophomore season, but is one of the most hearlded recruits coming into college basketball next season.

Cedric Bozeman

Season Averages
SEASON MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
2002-2003 26.0 7.3 3.0 3.2 2.3 1.42 .8 .0 2.2 .408 .514 .313 1.01
2003-2004 33.7 7.5 3.8 5.5 3.0 1.85 .6 .1 2.5 .413 .554 .222 1.07
2005-2006 27.4 7.6 3.3 2.3 1.7 1.31 .9 .1 1.5 .500 .776 .393 1.40
Season Totals Rebounds
SEASON GP MIN FG FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFF DEF TOT AST TO STL BLK PF
2002-2003 21 545 62 152 19 37 10 32 153 9 54 63 68 48 16 1 46
2003-2004 28 943 81 196 41 74 6 27 209 15 90 105 155 84 16 2 71
2004-2005 Did not play.
2005-2006 31 850 84 168 45 58 22 56 235 22 79 101 71 54 27 2 47
Scouting Report
Career to date: Averaged 19.5 points, 5.7 rebounds, and 5.1 assists per contest as a high school senior in Los Angeles, California. Named to the McDonald's All-American team, scoring 14 points in the all-star game. Averaged 4.0 points and a team-best 3.54 assists in 23.4 minutes per game as a freshman at UCLA. Started 17 of the last 18 games. Missed time early in the season because of a right knee cartilage tear that required surgery. Was named to the Honorable Mention All-Pac-10 Freshman team. Averaged 7.3 points, 3.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 26.0 minutes per game as a sophomore. Missed the final eight games with a right shoulder injury that required surgery in March. Started every game as a junior, averaging 7.5 points, 5.5 assists (led the Pac-10) and 3.8 rebounds in a team-high 33.7 minutes.

Scouting Report: Has the tools to be a scorer but isn't assertive ... Talented slasher can really put the ball in the hoop with fluid moves in the open court ... Great hands and smooth moves near the basket, a natural ... Sets up his shot well and has nice touch to convert ... Needs to improve as a long-range shooter but remains an adequate one ... Able to plays three positions ... Nice passing touch, he's largely used as a playmaker running the offense or bringing the ball up the court ... Can switch to forward if need be but the point guard is his best position ... Needs to add strength.

Doron Perkins

2002-2003 Did not play.
2003-2004 25.6 12.9 4.2 2.3 2.2 1.06 2.0 .4 2.9 .414 .705 .320 1.38
2004-2005 30.4 15.4 6.0 3.4 2.6 1.28 2.4 .6 3.6 .401 .644 .313 1.23

Doron is probably our best athlete and our best on-ball defender. He can really create problems for the opposition with his defense. He has good hands and is very quick. He worked hard over the summer to become a better shooter and I think his experience with the summer pro-am league really gave him an understanding of his capabilities. If he stays healthy, I think Doron is going to have a very good year for us. Sometimes he is not the prettiest player, but certainly he is pretty good."
-- Head Coach Dick Davey's preseason comments on Doron.

Minutes Total 3-Point F-Throws Rebounds
Year gp-gs min avg fg fga pct fg fga pct ft fta pct off def tot avg pf fo ast t/o blk stl pts avg
03-04 32-30 828 25.9 129 310 .416 44 133 .331 125 176 .710 53 86 139 4.3 93 2 76 69 12 63 427 13.3
04-05 31-29 941 30.4 156 389 .401 51 163 .313 114 177 .644 56 131 187 6.0 111 7 105 82 18 74 477 15.4
TOTAL 63-59 1769 28.1 285 699 .408 95 296 .321 239 353 .677 109 217 326 5.2 204 9 181 151 30 137 904 14.3

Category Career High
Points 28 at Portland, Feb. 3, 2005
Field Goals 11 vs. Central Conn. St, Dec. 28. 2004
Field Goal Att. 22 at Cal Poly, Dec. 12, 2004
3-Pt. Field Goals 5 twice
3-Pt Field Goal Att. 11 vs. Gonzaga, Mar. 7, 2004
Free Throws 11 three times
Free Throw Att. 21 at Pepperdine, Feb. 14, 2004
Rebounds 11 vs. UC Irvine, Dec. 14, 2004
Assists 8 vs. Pepperdine, FEb. 17, 2005
Blocked Shots 3 twice
Steals 10 vs. San Diego, Feb. 24, 2005
Minutes 39 vs. San Francisco, Feb. 26, 2005
CAREER: Made an impact on the Bronco record books in just two seasons ... a two-time all-WCC selection, earning honorable mention honors in 2003-04 and first-team in 2004-05 ... Set WCC and school record with 10 steals against San Diego as a senior ... ranks seventh in SCU's career steals listings with 137 ... started 59 of 63 appearances.
AS A SENIOR IN 2004-2005: A first-team all-WCC selection ... led the league in steals with 2.39 per game, only the fourth Bronco to do so ... among the league leaders in points (10th), rebounds (10th) and assists (8th) ... led the team in scoring with a 15.4 per game average ... also led the team in rebounds (6.0) and blocks (18) ... led the team in scoring on 12 occasions and in rebounding 12 times ... had 74 steals on the season, which tied as the third-most ever at SCU ... grabbed nine rebounds to go with 11 points in 77-66 win over fourth-ranked North Carolina ... scored 24 points despite injured foot in season-opener against Duquesne in NABC Classic ... recorded four steals at Pacific and against Stanford in consecutive games, both NCAA Tournament teams ... scored 18 points and went 4-for-5 from the three-point arc with three steals in 20 minutes against San Jose State ... led team with 23 points in win at Montana ... played 37 minutes against UC Irvine and grabbed 11 rebounds to go with 13 points for first career double-double ... scored 27 points in loss to Central Connecticut State ... handed out six assists against Yale ... recorded second double-double of the season with 25 points and 10 rebounds at BYU ... scored 22 points with nine rebounds, four assists and four steals at home against Gonzaga ... grabbed eight rebounds two nights later against Portland to go with 12 points, four assists and two steals ... named WCC Player of the Week on Jan. 17 after scoring 20 points in win at Saint Mary's with seven rebounds ... defensive effort held SMC's top scorer, Paul Marigney, to just 2-for-8 shooting ... registered 13 points, five assists, four steals and three blocks in 34 minutes in the home win over San Diego ... scored 28 points on 7-of-14 shooting, which included 5-for-9 from behind the three-point arc at Portland ... also registered four steals at the Pilots ... scored 22 points to go with seven rebounds, three assists and two steals in the win over Saint Mary's at home ... nearly registered a triple-double with 14 points, eight rebounds and eight assists against Pepperdine ... scored 21 points and grabbed 10 rebounds against LMU ... set school record with 10 steals at San Diego, three more than the previous mark by John Woolery and Harold Keeling ... also added a team-high 23 points and six assists at USD.
Perkins Dominates First Professional Season
Former Bronco guard named league MVP for Toyota Alvark in Japanese Basketball League.
April 6, 2006
Life is about making adjustments and if anybody would be considered an expert, it might just be former Santa Clara men's basketball standout Doron Perkins.
In his first professional season with Toyota Alvark of the Japanese Basketball League, the Anchorage, Alaska native led his team to its second Super League title with a 24-5 overall record. He was named the league's Player of the Year, Guard of the Year, Import Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year.
In addition, The Santa Clara, SCU's student newspaper, reported that Perkins has been invited to participate on the Los Angeles Lakers' Summer Pro League team later this year.

Kasib Powell

JUNIOR (2001-2002): Named to the Big 12 All-Newcomer squad...Honorable Mention All-Big 12...selected Texas Tech over Rutgers and St. Bonaventure...scored a game high and personal best 29 points - including 25 in the first half against TCU...was 10-16 from the field and 8-9 from the FT line...against Oklahoma, Kasib led the team in scoring with 16 points by going 6-13 from the field and 4-6 from the line...also grabbed 7 rebounds, had 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 2 blocks, and 1 steal...tallied double figures 25 times during the season...equaled Andre Emmett and Will Chavis with 40 steals...one of two players to start all 32 games during the season - Andy Ellis also started all 32 games...had a season high 10 assists against Baylor...played 40 minutes 7 times during the season...from the free throw line: 4-for-4 vs. William & Mary and 3-for-3 against Baylor...tallied 33.6 minutes per game - second on the team...third leading rebounder (6.2 rpg)...team leader with 123 assists...#2 on the squad with 24 blocks...Chevrolet Scholarship Program MVP of the Game vs. Southern Illinois (03/15/02) - $1000 donated to the general scholarship fund at Texas Tech by Chevrolet...averaged 15.1 points per game.

Jordan Farmar

Strengths: While Jordan Farmar’s physical attributes certainly don’t jump out at you, at 6-2 he will not be considered undersized for the NBA point guard position.

His best attributes all revolve around his phenomenal playmaking skills, basketball IQ, and the way he makes everyone around him better; which separates him from every other PG in this draft except for possibly Marcus Williams of Connecticut.

Farmar is an unbelievable passer first and foremost, possessing terrific court vision and an uncanny knack for getting the ball to teammates in a favorable position to score. This skill will undoubtedly look infinitely better at the next level when he is playing next to more talented teammates. Farmar is capable of executing every pass in the point guard instruction manual to perfection; whether it’s threading the needle from the perimeter with a bullet pass, driving and dishing to find the open shooter on the wing, throwing up imaginative lobs perfectly out of nowhere for alley-oops, or especially with simple and highly effective bounce passes into the post right to the hands of his big man or cutter for an easy basket. Farmar is just as good passing on the move as he is from stand-still positions, and is equally adept at making top 10 highlight reel passes as he is playing fundamental old-school basketball to set players up for easy layups. He consistently makes the game easier for everyone around him with the way he gets his teammates involved, and indeed helped his UCLA squad overachieve severely and make the NCAA tournament finals, where they lost to Florida.

As a floor general, Farmar is outstanding at controlling tempo, organizing his teammates and executing half-court sets. He picks up on plays quickly, knows when and how to improvise, and very rarely looks unprepared for what is evolving around him on the floor.

Farmar played a style of grind it out basketball that did not really suit his strengths as a player, but adapted himself wonderfully as an assistant coach out on the floor for Coach Ben Howland. He loves to push the tempo of the game and is excellent at organizing the fast-break, but is also just as good at slowing down the pace of the game, eating up clock, and getting his team a good look at the end of the shot-clock.

Much of his success as both a passer and a scorer has to do with his terrific ball-handling skills. Farmar is a natural born dribbler, keeping the ball low and always in control and never being phased or rattled by anything around him. He keeps the ball alive at all costs in the most impossible of situations, often in And-1 style.

His ball-handling skills are a huge reason why he’s found plenty of success as a scorer at the NCAA level as well. Farmar possesses all the crafty little tricks in his arsenal that all great shot-creators have, including nifty head and ball-fakes, plenty of change of pace ability, but also a surprising and quite unexpected extra gear he can go to on his 2nd and 3rd step once he gets his man off-balance. He sees and uses all the angles available to him to create scoring opportunities for teammates, but especially to find an angle to slash to the basket, often splitting apart the double team if needed on his way to the hoop.

Considering that he is not an explosive athlete, this ability to create space for himself to operate is extremely important. Once he gets past his man, either on his own accord or preferably with a screen, the defense is at a serious disadvantage. Farmar is excellent at using his body to fend off defenders while he’s dribbling, keeping them on his hip and holding them at bay, being the one who dictates his motion and not the only way around. Just like in all other facets of the game, Farmar displays great toughness here, never backing down and having no problem taking contact on his way to the basket.

Despite his youth, his leadership skills are excellent. Farmar became the unequivocal leader of a young team that as mentioned overachieved severely in going all the way to the final game of the NCAA tournament. He did it on the floor with his voice, off the floor by example, and always with a calm and cool demeanor about him that is extremely rare for a player that only turned 19 a month into the season. He gained the respect of his upperclassmen teammates very early on in his tenure at UCLA thanks to his poise and focus, and never gave them any reason to lose it, particularly with the way he played through multiple nagging injuries all season long. This comes as no surprise as he’s both a physically and mentally tough player who seems to be programmed to succeed. In the clutch, Farmar wants the ball in his hands and is pretty reliable in terms of making good decisions. Off the court, Farmar is an honors student.

Weaknesses: Farmar doesn’t have nearly as many weaknesses as he does strengths, but the ones he does posses are serious concerns.

The most glaring would be his lack of athleticism, as he possesses average explosiveness at best. His first step in particular is not all that impressive, often needing a screen, some nifty ball-handling skills or other crafty tricks to be able to get by his man already at the college level. Not being the most explosive player vertically getting off the floor to finish at the rim, Farmar will have to add some strength to continue to get his shot off effectively in the paint once he does get in the lane. The fact that he’s not very tall or long only compounds this problem.

This wouldn’t be as much of an issue if he was a consistent outside shooter, but he is most certainly not, only hitting 33% of his 3-point shots in both his freshman and sophomore seasons at UCLA. Farmar’s shot selection can be questionable at times, sometimes feeling the need to take too much on himself. What should be mentioned here is that he plays in an offense that likes to run down the entire shot-clock more often than not, which means he’s usually the one stuck with the ball in his hands and forced to hoist up a tough and contested shot at the end of possessions—something that is obviously not his strength.

Becoming a better mid-range shooter off the dribble would help him compensate for the average physical attributes he possesses, which will make things more difficult on him in terms of finishing around the basket.

Related to these problems is the fact that Farmar is quite a dominant offensive player in terms of the way he handles the ball almost exclusively when being played at the point guard spot for UCLA. His teammates have a tendency to stand around and watch at times, just being accustomed to the fact that he’ll at some point magically create an easy shot for them out of nothing by threading the needle with a pin-point accurate pass. Sometimes that works, but more often than not he ends up getting himself in trouble, which causes turnovers. Farmar averaged 3.6 turnovers per game his sophomore year (3.9 as a freshman), having problems with this issue particularly early on and midway through the season, coincidentally when he was struggling with nagging injuries the most.

Regardless, Farmar showed some definite problems with not knowing his limitations at times; forcing the issue with penetrations, getting too deep under the rim, looking out of control with excessive spin moves, and hoisting up crazy shots that were clearly out of his repertoire. To help relieve this to a certain extent as well as get an extremely talented freshman some well deserved minutes, UCLA would at times switch him over to the SG spot in order to get Darren Collison on the floor. The 5-11, 155 pound speedster was only capable of playing the point, but did it well enough to average just under 20 minutes per game.

Farmar’s second biggest weakness is his defense. He only possesses average length and lateral quickness and therefore struggles to stay in front of quicker opponents. It wasn’t rare to see him being lit up by the point guard he was assigned to guard (which was sometimes all the more reason to bring in the superb defending freshman Collison), and at times this did not seem to bother Farmar all that much. Later on in the year, when putting in more effort, he did show some nice anticipation ability and overall craftiness in terms of being able to contain players, but it’s pretty clear that he’ll be at least somewhat of a liability in the NBA until he gets his feet wet and adjusts to the pace of the game.

Competition: Jordan Farmar was the first recruit that committed to former Pitt coach Ben Howland. He was considered a fantastic college prospect in a deep class of high school PGs, and was even named a McDonald’s All-American, amongst other accolades.

As a freshman Farmar took little time to adjust to the college game. With Cedric Bozeman out for the year with a torn ACL, Farmar was asked to step in and start from day one for UCLA. He did so and played heavy minutes, starting every game and only seeing less than 31 minutes in a contest twice all season. He helped UCLA return to the NCAA tournament, and was named Pac-10 freshman of the year for his efforts, averaging 13.2 points and 5.4 assists on the season. He was mentioned on numerous occasions by DraftExpress as one of the most exciting freshman prospects in the country (see links).

Coming into his sophomore year, expectations were huge. He was nominated as a preseason Wooden Award candidate and a finalist for the Bob Cousy (point guards only) Award. An ankle injury made him miss a few games early on in the season, but Farmar rushed himself back onto the court and was clearly hampered by it (as well as ensuing groin, thumb, wrist and another injury to his opposite ankle) later on in the year. Farmar continued to play and UCLA was ranked in the top 20 for most of the season. After dropping two games on the road at Washington and arch-rivals USC, UCLA reeled off 12 straight wins to make it all the way to the Finals of the NCAA Tournament as a (many considered overrated) #2 seed. The Bruins made their name known based on their defense, and Farmar was an important cog even on this end. In what might have been the last game of his college career, the Finals against Florida, Farmar was obviously the only player to show up for UCLA, scoring 18 points with 4 assists and 2 turnovers. On the season he averaged 13.5 points and 5.1 assists.

Outlook: A prospect with rare strengths and glaring weaknesses, Farmar is clearly a beauty in the eye of the beholder type prospect. This scout is sure he will find success in the NBA eventually, but the buzz around him all season long has been very weak, with most scouts we talked to seeming to think that he isn’t that great of a prospect at all. What’s for sure is that Farmar has a definite itch to play in the NBA, and would likely stay in the draft should he be guaranteed of being selected in the 1st round. He’s already said he will not be attending the Orlando pre-draft camp, instead relying on private workouts to try and get his stock to where it needs to be.

Danilo Pinnock

Season Averages
2003-2004 22.9 9.8 3.4 1.2 1.9 .65 1.6 .8 1.9 .469 .787 .396 1.22
2004-2005 29.3 13.4 5.1 2.1 2.0 1.09 1.6 .6 2.3 .494 .766 .275 1.27
2005-2006 31.6 14.5 5.3 3.1 2.0 1.51 2.4 .5 2.0 .485 .709 .275 1.29
Season Totals Rebounds
2003-2004 30 686 113 241 48 61 21 53 295 43 58 101 37 57 47 23 57
2004-2005 29 851 152 308 72 94 14 51 390 54 93 147 62 57 45 16 68
2005-2006 30 948 164 338 83 117 25 91 436 48 110 158 92 61 72 14 59
Scouting Report
Career to date: Averaged 22 points, 10 rebounds and six assists as a high school senior at Coastal Christian Academy in Virginia Beach, VA. Scored a school-record 42 points in a game as a junior. Named South Atlanta Metro Tipoff Club Player of the Month and National Christian Tournament all-tournament team. In 22.9 minutes, posted 9.8 points and 3.4 rebounds per game as a GW frosh. Named to A-10 All-Rookie Team.

Scouting Report: A mid-range scorer with slashing ability ... Slightly undersized for the frontcourt but strength and athleticism helps him to partially compensate ... A poor long range shooter, so he doesn't fit on the perimeter ... At his best going to the goal ... Tremendous leaper, he finishes in traffic ... Able to consistently beat his man off the dribble with his first step ... Good rebounder ... Excellent shot-blocker at 6-5 ... Has a load of potential defensively with his physical skills ... Ability to go from 0-60 quickly gives him a jump on the ball for interceptions and deflections.

Stat Stuffer: As a freshman, had 23 points at LaSalle, 21 vs. St. Bonaventure and LaSalle. As a sophomore, posted 23 vs. Morgan State and 22 vs. Maryland.

Fun Fact: J.R.'s full name is Danilo Agustin Pinnock. J.R. stands for Junior.

Six Degrees of MJ: Pinnock's GW teammate T.J. Thompson played high school basketball with Rodney White, who competed on the Detroit Pistons with Jerry Stackhouse, who played on the Washington Wizards with Michael Jordan.

Danilo Pinnock

Whether you want to call him Danilo or JR, there is no escaping the fact that Pinnock had himself an excellent pre-draft camp and has helped his draft stock considerably after already having hired an agent a few weeks back. Pinnock didn’t look as raw here as we once thought he was, as he created his own shot on a number of occasions with his explosive first step and got to the basket at will to finish with an emphatic dunk. He was very good in transition and scored that way on a number of occasions. To further dispel the numerous weaknesses we saw from him at his time at George Washington, Pinnock even spotted up for a 3-pointer at one point that he drained smoothly, finishing with a game high 18 points. He finished one play with an alleyoop and then returned the favor by dishing out an alleyoop lob himself. With the upside Pinnock showed here over the past few days, it wouldn’t surprise anyone to see him being drafted somewhere in the 2nd round.

Jonathan Watters

Michael Fey

Season Averages
2002-2003 8.0 2.3 1.6 .3 .5 .56 .2 .3 1.2 .552 .650 .000 1.55
2003-2004 15.3 6.0 2.4 .3 1.1 .23 .2 .5 2.3 .561 .741 .000 1.47
2004-2005 23.0 8.6 4.8 .6 1.1 .55 .2 .6 2.3 .546 .697 .000 1.34
2005-2006 6.3 1.7 1.3 .1 .2 .50 .2 .2 .7 .481 .556 .000 1.15
Season Totals Rebounds
2002-2003 20 159 16 29 13 20 0 0 45 11 20 31 5 9 3 6 24
2003-2004 28 428 64 114 40 54 0 1 168 38 29 67 7 30 6 15 63
2004-2005 29 668 101 185 46 66 0 0 248 63 77 140 17 31 7 16 66
2005-2006 18 114 13 27 5 9 0 0 31 11 12 23 2 4 3 3 12
Scouting Report
Career to date: Averaged 20.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game as a high school senior in Washington. Originally signed his National Letter of Intent in November 2000, but in June 2001, it was announced that he could not attend UCLA for the 2001-02 school year because he had not met NCAA initial eligibility requirements. Joined the Bruins in 2002-03, posting 2.3 points and 1.6 rebounds per outing in 8.0 minutes. Averaged 6.0 points, 2.4 rebounds and 0.5 blocks in 15.3 minutes per outing. Started 15-of-28 games, including UCLA's first 13 contests.

Scouting Report: A huge body with a lot of promise ... Not necessarily a fluid athlete - especially as he has packed on weight - but agile nevertheless ... Slightly mechanical in the post ... Displays what can be considered the beginning of a low post game, but improvement is needed ... If he is close enough to the basket he will get you the bucket ... Effectiveness diminishes as he gets further from the goal ... Has nice foot speed north south, but not so much laterally ... Mediocre leaper, especially sluggish off the floor on consecutive hops ... This hurts his rebounding production, but his size still makes him a factor ... Gets involved for tips ... Challenges as a shot-blocker but not highly productive ... Still working on maximizing his talent.

Marcus Slaughter

NBA Comparison: Tommy Smith

Strengths: Very long, athletic and quick forward ... Great fluidity ... Gets to the rim well with his tremendous first step and quickness ... Good leaping ability ... Has the ability to face the basket and also score with his back to the basket ... Aggressive player. Tough demeanor, competes hard ... Good scorer with solid touch around the basket ... Very fast running the floor and in transition ... Quick feet and length make him a terrific rebounder ... Shooting touch showed improvement in his junior year both from the floor and free throw line ...

Weaknesses: A tweener lacking great inside strength and size and skills more tailored to play inside ... Range and consistency on his shot must improve ... Not a great passer, looks to score first, lacks great vision ... Ball handling ability is just average ... Has had minor injury problems in the past (foot), but shows solid toughness to play with pain ...

-Aran Smith 4/14/06

Season Averages
2003-2004 25.2 7.9 6.8 .7 1.2 .61 1.1 .6 2.2 .473 .724 .333 1.29
2004-2005 34.1 17.8 9.0 1.3 3.1 .42 1.4 1.1 3.2 .469 .698 .231 1.36
2005-2006 32.7 16.5 11.0 1.9 2.9 .65 1.2 1.0 3.1 .490 .762 .000 1.60

Nile Murry

Birth Place: Houston, TX
Height: 6-4
Weight: 208 lbs.

Position: Guard
Class: Senior
PPG 16.7 | APG 2.6 | RPG 4.2
Profile GameLog
Season Averages
2001-2002 24.5 5.3 3.0 1.7 1.5 1.10 1.2 .0 2.3 .388 .515 .371 1.14
2002-2003 9.8 2.9 1.3 .5 .3 1.89 .5 .1 .8 .323 .778 .245 .92
2003-2004 Did not play.
2004-2005 28.9 12.5 4.3 2.3 2.2 1.01 .9 .1 2.7 .398 .793 .399 1.28
2005-2006 33.8 16.7 4.2 2.6 2.8 .94 1.7 .1 2.8 .372 .824 .366 1.23

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=4963

Byron Sanders

Season Averages
2002-2003 15.7 1.9 2.4 .4 .8 .54 .4 .3 1.8 .333 .536 .000 .86
2003-2004 4.7 .5 1.0 .1 .3 .25 .1 .1 .9 .364 .455 .000 1.18
2004-2005 3.0 .8 .9 .3 .2 1.75 .0 .0 .2 .455 .200 .000 1.00
2005-2006 12.2 2.5 2.4 .5 .8 .58 .2 .4 1.3 .508 .364 .000 1.29
Season Totals Rebounds
2002-2003 35 550 26 78 15 28 0 0 67 38 47 85 15 28 14 11 63
2003-2004 28 131 4 11 5 11 0 0 13 11 18 29 2 8 2 4 24
2004-2005 26 77 10 22 2 10 0 0 22 11 12 23 7 4 1 1 5
2005-2006 31 378 30 59 16 44 0 0 76 26 49 75 14 24 5 11 40
Scouting Report

Sparingly used forward ... Averaged 13.9 points, 12.8 rebounds and 5.2 blocks per game as a high school senior in Mississippi ... Sister, Angela, played basketball at the University of Southern Mississippi.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject:

Cedric Bozeman had great expectations placed on him before his injuries. The guy has a good amount of talent but would obviously be a project.

Any chance Pinnock can be our Marquis Daniels clone?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
Cedric Bozeman had great expectations placed on him before his injuries. The guy has a good amount of talent but would obviously be a project.

Any chance Pinnock can be our Marquis Daniels clone?

No. Daniels came out of college as a superversatile, #1 option player. He played PF through PG for his team and showed diversified skills in terms of defense, ball-handling, passing, and average shot creating ability and jumpshot. That combined with above average athleticism, got him in the L.

Pinnock is just a classic SG through and through. Slashes, shoots, defends pretty well. I mean if there's a Maurice Ager Jr., it's that kind of mold.

wormz1012
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject:

Mike, think you can post where the players went to school?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject:

Von Wafer Florida State

Devin Green Hampton

Nick Horvath Duke

Antwain Barbour Kentucky

Cedric Bozeman UCLA

Doron Perkins Santa Clara University

Kasib Powell Texas Tech

Jordan Farmar UCLA

Danilo Pinnock George Washington

Michael Fey UCLA

Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Nice, nice and nice .

thanks Mike
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Tanlentueux wrote:
Nice, nice and nice .

thanks Mike

Mike -at- LG
wormz1012
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I guess no more top flight undrafted players.......
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

The Roster is unusually full.

lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject:

no sasha or smush???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I think they only allow three NBA veterans on the team. Bynum, Wafer and Green make three. Sasha and Smush get enough PT during the regular season.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike, thanks for the information!
mm708
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Marcus Slaughter is rumored to be on the roster too but it has not been confirmed.
PNWlakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject:

mm708 wrote:
Marcus Slaughter is rumored to be on the roster too but it has not been confirmed.

i hope so
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject:

The house should be full to see Bynum's progress. I hope the veterans work hard to set a good example.
An6eLoLG
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:

mm708 wrote:

Hey Mike...

What's your own take on Slaughter?

And does he even have a chance of getting signed to the team? Or perhaps the D-League team at least?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:

D-League team would be a good option. If he can excel there, plenty of teams should get interest.

Otherwise, for the Lakers, the frontline is just too stacked right now.

Kwame, Mihm, Turiaf, Cook, Radmanovic, Odom, Walton

George is a FA if I'm not mistaken.

The only guys I can really see fighting for roster spots are the guards; Wafer, Pinnock, Green, Barbour, Perkins. Farmar is on a guaranteed contract and automatically in.

kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject:

thanks mike! will be looking forward to your updates & analysis.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: