TV Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: TV Question

I have a friend who has cut the cord. He said adding Spectrum through Roku was like $40 a month. He can't do NBA Team Pass because he's in LA.

How do you guys watch Lakers games without cable if you're in LA?

Feel free to merge, I couldn't figure out where to post.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

Some games are on NBATV (Sling), ESPN/TNT (also available on Sling). However that'll only cover about 25-29 national games (IIRC).

I have League Pass but don't live in LA.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

I didn't know you could exclusively buy Spectrum on Roku. His solution is a VPN service which changes the IP (makes League Pass think you're in Arizona or wherever). He'd then have to configure the router with the VPN info, which may not be possible without flashing it depending on the brand.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Some games are on NBATV (Sling), ESPN/TNT (also available on Sling). However that'll only cover about 25-29 national games (IIRC).

I second Sling, it's been a lifesaver for me opening week. As for the other games someone on here mentioned this link in a preseason game thread. They usually post HQ Youtube streams about 30 mins before a game starts.

Pau Gasol is nice
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

You should just look into streaming from the nbastreams subreddit onto a Chromecast. The streams are HD and honestly better quality than what cable providers provide online.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I didn't know you could exclusively buy Spectrum on Roku. His solution is a VPN service which changes the IP (makes League Pass think you're in Arizona or wherever). He'd then have to configure the router with the VPN info, which may not be possible without flashing it depending on the brand.

Spectrum is on Roku now? I've basically leached off my parents' cable subscription, which lets me log in on the Spectrum website and watch a live stream of the channel. Same for ESPN/TNT. But if there's an app on Roku, that makes it much easier since the website can be choppy at times.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

I am paying $35 a month for Direct TV and get all Laker games
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

lakersgirl wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I second Sling, it's been a lifesaver for me opening week. As for the other games someone on here mentioned this link in a preseason game thread. They usually post HQ Youtube streams about 30 mins before a game starts.

Can you customize a package of channels on Sling, so like only pick a few sports channels? Is it still $20 a month for a base package?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Spectrum is on Roku now? I've basically leached off my parents' cable subscription, which lets me log in on the Spectrum website and watch a live stream of the channel. Same for ESPN/TNT. But if there's an app on Roku, that makes it much easier since the website can be choppy at times.

Yes. I use it in other rooms so I don't have to pay for multiple boxes. I may cancel the one box though if you could pay only to have it on Roku.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
lakersgirl wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can you customize a package of channels on Sling, so like only pick a few sports channels? Is it still $20 a month for a base package?

$20 basic.

But I added on a $5 sportspackage that includes NBA TV. So with League Pass, i miss 0 Lakers games now.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
lakersgirl wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

$20 basic.

But I added on a $5 sportspackage that includes NBA TV. So with League Pass, i miss 0 Lakers games now.

How much is League Pass nowadays? I bought the Internet only option back in the Kobe/Pau days and it was pretty reliable - definitely a better stream than the one Spectrum Sportsnet has on their website, and that was nearly a decade ago. Though I think I'll wait a month before committing because I'm not paying that much for another (bleep) season...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
lakersgirl wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

$20 basic.

How much is League Pass nowadays? I bought the Internet only option back in the Kobe/Pau days and it was pretty reliable - definitely a better stream than the one Spectrum Sportsnet has on their website, and that was nearly a decade ago. Though I think I'll wait a month before committing because I'm not paying that much for another (bleep) season...

It's much better now. I think this is my 4th year with it. First year was spotty but much better now. It's pricey though. Around $28/month for all teams, probably about $20 for a single team (you pay 6 monthly payments).
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

Another option is buying a Raspberry Pi for 30 bucks, installing Kodi on it, and installing SportsDevil or some other Reddit scraper for those streams. Fun little project, there are tons of instructions online about how to do this, and you get all the games and more for a one time payment of 30 bucks.

The benefit of a Raspberry Pi over the Fire Stick for example is an ethernet port so your speed is always high, and more processing power/ram for less freezing/crashing.

You can control Kodi using any old usb keyboard/mouse, usb game controller (or Xbox, PS3/4 controller), or pick up one of those 20 dollar wireless usb keyboard/trackpad remote things off Amazon.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Another option is buying a Raspberry Pi for 30 bucks, installing Kodi on it, and installing SportsDevil or some other Reddit scraper for those streams. Fun little project, there are tons of instructions online about how to do this, and you get all the games and more for a one time payment of 30 bucks.

The benefit of a Raspberry Pi over the Fire Stick for example is an ethernet port so your speed is always high, and more processing power/ram for less freezing/crashing.

You can control Kodi using any old usb keyboard/mouse, usb game controller (or Xbox, PS3/4 controller), or pick up one of those 20 dollar wireless usb keyboard/trackpad remote things off Amazon.

How reliable is that? The steams on sportsdevil, when I played around with this option a few years ago (I wasn't paying for Kobe's Farewell Tour), were mostly SD and would have me scrambling several times a game after one dropped out.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
levon wrote:

How reliable is that? The steams on sportsdevil, when I played around with this option a few years ago (I wasn't paying for Kobe's Farewell Tour), were mostly SD and would have me scrambling several times a game after one dropped out.

There's one called Pro Sports (I'm gonna be trying it tonight) which is basically the nbastreams subreddit scraper. Since that's the only place I go for streams because they're HD and without commercials, I suspect it'll be the exact same experience but without annoying ads to x out.

Edit: Pro Sports also archives games apparently. The full list of yesterday's games are on there.

Last edited by levon on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I could write up a quick guide for the entire process or link you guys to guides to parts of the process, but I suspect it'll violate LG's guidelines.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

all this futzing about and are you really saving any money? You have to have an internet connection anyway so if you bundle it with tv you can get the cheapest package deal. With Spectrum, what if you get the set top box as part of the package but not the DVR service? That would save you $12.99/mo right there. Then I suppose if you want to record video you could take that signal coming out of the set top box, one goes to your tv, then you run the other signal into one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FB1NTP6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which, I would assume??? remove all the coding and allow you to run the signal coming to the receiving dish into whatever you are using to record video if you want to watch it later. Would be interesting to try at least
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TV Question

Math wrote:
I have a friend who has cut the cord. He said adding Spectrum through Roku was like $40 a month. He can't do NBA Team Pass because he's in LA.

How do you guys watch Lakers games without cable if you're in LA?

Feel free to merge, I couldn't figure out where to post.

I wonder if the people cut the cord, how do they get the internet service? Would it be cheaper to get the internet/TV bundle than paying $40 a month to watch it somewhere else?

Of course, it depends what is available in your area. Just a suggestion.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Those reddit feeds have excellent HD quality.
gucciwavecaps
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

hopefully this post doesn't break any rules, about to save many lives..

download ace player on your windows laptop or desktop.. you can google it and find a link on their official website

once ya have that, google acesoplisting, go to the first site and click on whatever game you wanna watch. it'll ask if you wanna open in ace player, say yes (obviously)

and enjoy an HD stream with literally no lags, freezing etc.

I'm currently watching a TNT stream of the OKC game.. look how crisp it is https://i.imgur.com/FzIUDmK.jpg

My friend introduced me and I haven't looked back since. to hell with cable lol..
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Does DirecTV Now have Cloud DVR yet?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

9d462c88c7d1e929c5e5b642a45da8b18d733910
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I can't believe that you are trolling here.

Either explain how we can all do the same, or stop trolling.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Hi all

This is an old trend. I am updating with information I taught would be useful.

I found you can watch all Laker games if you use get spectrum tv online and than if you call them and say you want to add spectrum cal. This is the channel spectrum SportsNet that carries all Laker games. You can also add spectrum LA for Clippers (I won’t judge) kings dodgers.

Basically I had Direct TV and got all Lakers games. But they raised their prices. I tried Sling and NBA league pass but found out a lot of Laker games are blacked out.

Than I tried spectrum and after calling the person found me spectrum cal which he said you can’t simply add without calling in.

Hope this helps anyone else in same situation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: