View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
22 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Didn't Neil deGrasse Tyson explain why the Tesla was able to pull the F150?

Quote:
Tyson replied to Musk's video on Twitter, using physics to debate the Tesla truck's feat. He argued that the stunt might not have actually demonstrated the truck's engine power.

"A badass @Tesla looking like it's doing a badass thing," Tyson tweeted. "But if the @Ford F-150 is RWD **with no payload** then weight on the Rear Axle is greatly reduced, offering only mild traction for the Tesla to overcome. This contest is more about the Physics of Friction than Engine Power."

"Electric vehicles are famously heavy — over both axles," Tyson said in an earlier tweet. "It's all about the weight borne by spinning tires. That's the source of traction, not the engine power."

The “test” was a farce for many reasons and Elon knows this. It’ll fool lots of people so they’re marketing team is doing their job so to speak. However that hasn’t stopped the share prices from dropping from the last report I saw. And despite them “selling out” of $100 fully refundable deposits I have serious doubt about this being anything other than a novelty vehicle.

It’s sad because there’s some GREAT concept art out there from independent artists on what this truck could have been

It looks the way it does because the form follows its function. If it looked more traditional, it would need more traditional manufacturing techniques. Because it’s flat and angled and triangular, it can be made from one sheet of stainless steel. The triangular shape provides strength and rigidity with its unibody and lets it hold and tow more. Instead of using stamping machines, which are expensive and easily fall out of tolerance and thus need a ton of maintenance, they can score the sheet according to the design and literally use machines to fold the sheet into the shape of the truck. This apparently saves a ton of money manufacturing and can be more easily automated. The flat glass is also easier to make and install than curved glass, and is also cheaper. And because it’s cold rolled stainless steel and apparently doesn’t need paint, they save even more money on that.

After listening to a couple of truck guys talking about the design online, I understand why they went in this direction. It wasn’t Elon envisioning some future truck and forcing them to design this, it was them figuring out how to make this as easily and cheaply as possible while offering several advantages and this was the result. One of the truck guys who has been in the car industry for decades said that this is something Detroit car companies have discussed and dreamed about for decades because of the advantages listed above. They just haven’t because they were afraid of exactly the reaction a lot of people had first seeing it. If Tesla made it more traditional, it would be much more expensive. Probably more in line with the Rivian. Instead it’s much more affordable, even in the top trim. If this flops, then Tesla can make a more traditional pickup truck in the future for more money since the 3 and Y should be carrying the day. The pickup flopping doesn’t hurt Tesla, it’s only if the Y flops (the 3 is already damn successful) that they might be in some trouble.

Excellent post! Exactly right on all fronts, and the Y is the key right now to their success.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

Why Tesla’s new Cybertruck could be a hit: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/29/perspectives/cybertruck-tesla-elon-musk/

Quote of Musk from the article: "You know, I actually don't know if a lot of people will buy this pickup truck or not, but I don't care," he said at the time. "If there's only a small number of people that like that truck, I guess we'll make a more conventional truck in the future."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Why Tesla’s new Cybertruck could be a hit: https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/29/perspectives/cybertruck-tesla-elon-musk/

Quote of Musk from the article: "You know, I actually don't know if a lot of people will buy this pickup truck or not, but I don't care," he said at the time. "If there's only a small number of people that like that truck, I guess we'll make a more conventional truck in the future."

Kudos to mhan00 on his great post. Lots of of those things are true. There are some drawbacks to using a bunch of flat Stainless as well. Weight being a big one. I’m curious how crash testing and the crumple zone works in this thing. Do I really want glass I can’t break out of or into easily? What if an emergency happens and I need to get out of the car through the window? What if there’s something inside I need to break in and get out? Are they going to have to vinyl wrap these from the factory to offer some uniqueness to buyers? Once they have to add DOT stuff like side mirrors and different headlights will it still keep even the niche segment that likes the styling interested? Curious to see how it plays out

That quote from Elon makes him seem a bit more logical. He’s taking a big risk and not really counting on this to be a hit. He should careful though, by the time he has to go back to making a more traditional truck out of it the market may be saturated. The other manufacturers already have stuff on the way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
To me these look a lot better:

https://twitter.com/chwylde/status/1198838773192122369?s=21

https://twitter.com/nihilistichris/status/1197885585903489026?s=21

Yeah the concept mockups are light years better.

Would have been a thing of beauty!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Kudos to mhan00 on his great post. Lots of of those things are true. There are some drawbacks to using a bunch of flat Stainless as well. Weight being a big one. I’m curious how crash testing and the crumple zone works in this thing. Do I really want glass I can’t break out of or into easily? What if an emergency happens and I need to get out of the car through the window? What if there’s something inside I need to break in and get out? Are they going to have to vinyl wrap these from the factory to offer some uniqueness to buyers? Once they have to add DOT stuff like side mirrors and different headlights will it still keep even the niche segment that likes the styling interested? Curious to see how it plays out

That quote from Elon makes him seem a bit more logical. He’s taking a big risk and not really counting on this to be a hit. He should careful though, by the time he has to go back to making a more traditional truck out of it the market may be saturated. The other manufacturers already have stuff on the way.

Thanks, but like I said, none of what I said was from me, just knowledge I regurgitated from some of the podcasts I watched after the reveal to try to figure out what was up with the design. I disliked the look myself quite a bit when I first saw it. It grew on me a little, but what brought me around on it was hearing why Tesla went with the design. I put down a reservation despite my dislike of how big it is since the specs were so good for the price, and after my research I’m going to buy one, unless Tesla announces a smaller version of it.

The link below is one of the podcasts I watched. It is a long one, and neither pulls their punches about how poorly they feel Elon handled the presentation, but the two gentlemen were entertaining and were big fans of the truck. Fair warning, one of them is fairly old and says some stuff that wouldn’t be considered strictly PC these days, but nothing very bad.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
22 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Thanks, but like I said, none of what I said was from me, just knowledge I regurgitated from some of the podcasts I watched after the reveal to try to figure out what was up with the design. I disliked the look myself quite a bit when I first saw it. It grew on me a little, but what brought me around on it was hearing why Tesla went with the design. I put down a reservation despite my dislike of how big it is since the specs were so good for the price, and after my research I’m going to buy one, unless Tesla announces a smaller version of it.

The link below is one of the podcasts I watched. It is a long one, and neither pulls their punches about how poorly they feel Elon handled the presentation, but the two gentlemen were entertaining and were big fans of the truck. Fair warning, one of them is fairly old and says some stuff that wouldn’t be considered strictly PC these days, but nothing very bad.

Bahahah no worries fam!! One of the cool things about the car industry is seeing people’s different tastes and opinions. I’m not easily offended, you should see some of the personalities on the Bronco forums lol. Thanks for the link!
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Model 3 outsells Accord in California this year and is closing in on Camry!

https://insideevs.com/news/385236/tesla-model-3-california-sales-2019/
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

Tesla patents frickin’ laser beams that clean a car’s glass! What???

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30059244/tesla-glass-cleaning-laser-patent/
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Since most of the reservations have been for the dual and tri-motor versions, Tesla is apparently changing their manufacturing timelines and will be releasing those versions first in (hopefully) late 2021 and delaying the single motor version to late 2022. I was debating whether I should wait for the tri-motor or just get the dual motor, but I guess this solves my dilemma.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
To me these look a lot better:

https://twitter.com/chwylde/status/1198838773192122369?s=21

https://twitter.com/nihilistichris/status/1197885585903489026?s=21

Yeah the concept mockups are light years better.

Would have been a thing of beauty!

I'm not a truck guy in the least but I want one of those. A standout product can make me sway. It's the same as the C8 Corvette. Never cared for any American cars but boy do I want the 'Vettte in a bad way.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

in case you are wondering, this accurately describes what it’s like to drive a Tesla:
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

https://i.imgur.com/hpAAbMd.jpg My agonizing wait was 2 months. My sales advisor was absolutely useless.

Picked up my car on the 26th at 7:30pm. It was crazy there. It looks like they were delivering cars every 15 minutes. The rep I talked to said they were delivering from 6am til midnight until the end of the year.

About the car itself. The interior is my dream and the driving is incredible. Everyone called me crazy for getting the white interior but I've watched probably a million videos on the care and maintenance that I'm not worried at all. I know there's a stigma about Tesla and Elon is kind of a douche but he's not Trump. Forget all those people who say Tesla isn't a real car, it really is an amazing piece of engineering that if you get a chance you should test drive.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/hpAAbMd.jpg My agonizing wait was 2 months. My sales advisor was absolutely useless.

Picked up my car on the 26th at 7:30pm. It was crazy there. It looks like they were delivering cars every 15 minutes. The rep I talked to said they were delivering from 6am til midnight until the end of the year.

About the car itself. The interior is my dream and the driving is incredible. Everyone called me crazy for getting the white interior but I've watched probably a million videos on the care and maintenance that I'm not worried at all. I know there's a stigma about Tesla and Elon is kind of a douche but he's not Trump. Forget all those people who say Tesla isn't a real car, it really is an amazing piece of engineering that if you get a chance you should test drive.

Dude, the white interior is the bomb. Changes the whole look of the car. Congrats!
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Dude, the white interior is the bomb. Changes the whole look of the car. Congrats!

Thanks! Yea the white interior is incredible. It really does separate you from all the other cars out there(in a good way).
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

The Doug Demuro car of the year goes to...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r7rMJRJFiG4

It’s a great review of why the Model 3 is undeniably great and industry changing. Plus you can see all his other review winners which I find amusing.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

Start at the 25:00min mark to see the range of multiple electric vehicles.... basically driven til they die out.

Model 3 topped out at 276+?

Kia Niro impressive 255+

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

Model Y AWD range upgraded from 280 to 315 (EPA) somehow. Tesla announced it on their investor call yesterday. No idea how they did it. People are speculating bigger battery, better battery chemistry, large improvements in wiring/heating and cooling for the battery to make it more efficient. But nobody knows for sure yet.

They’re also moving up Y production to the end of Q1 instead of Q2.

Tesla stock is going nuts right now. I sold a quarter of my stock when it hit 425 to lock in some profit and in anticipation of a stock pull back to load up on more shares. That has blown up in my face, lol. Going to unload another quarter to try again, leaving me with half of my original long position with the same idea. Have to expect a correction at some point, but if it keeps shooting up I won’t complain too much either.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Model Y AWD range upgraded from 280 to 315 (EPA) somehow. Tesla announced it on their investor call yesterday. No idea how they did it. People are speculating bigger battery, better battery chemistry, large improvements in wiring/heating and cooling for the battery to make it more efficient. But nobody knows for sure yet.

They’re also moving up Y production to the end of Q1 instead of Q2.

Tesla stock is going nuts right now. I sold a quarter of my stock when it hit 425 to lock in some profit and in anticipation of a stock pull back to load up on more shares. That has blown up in my face, lol. Going to unload another quarter to try again, leaving me with half of my original long position with the same idea. Have to expect a correction at some point, but if it keeps shooting up I won’t complain too much either.

There have been updates that increased battery range.

The short sellers have been getting (bleep) and I'm loving it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if there was another Tesla thread but Elon Musk had to swallow his pride to come back to Cali to open the Tesla engineering center.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/22/elon-musk-meets-with-california-gov-newsom-at-teslas-engineering-hq.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: