Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Yeah Bauer has been great, a true ace that will go deep into games.

Corey should be back by the end of July at the latest. Hopefully that’s enough time to get his groove back before the postseason.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Yeah Bauer has been great, a true ace that will go deep into games.

Corey should be back by the end of July at the latest. Hopefully that’s enough time to get his groove back before the postseason.

Possible silver lining, a hand injury like Corey's shouldn't have any lingering effects for him as the wrist did for Turner and Muncy respectively.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject:

Annoying to lose Seager especially with all the injuries we already have. He had just caught fire too after slumping for so long. Oh well. Guess we have to see more of Fat Albert than we had hoped.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Bauer's ERA down to 2.20 after 7 shutout innings where he only allowed 2 baserunners. He has 77 K's, just 14 walks, and is sporting a 0.75 WHIP. Dude competes his tail off every time he takes the ball. He's pitching for a new contract basically every year. I really like what he brings to the club.

He has been everything I hoped he would be. I used to be curious when he took the mound, now I trust him and feel confident.

Edit: And the team has needed more starters that can go deep into a game. Especially this year.

It was hilarious to me that there weren’t more teams in on him especially with the contract he was looking for. Imagine getting a better version of Gerritt Cole without the massive commitment. In fact I think I said in the previous thread about a year ago that I thought he is and will be better than Cole.

His social media persona and outspoken image was the reason so many teams didn’t want him. Love it. It doesn’t amaze me how dumb some fans are but it surely does amaze me how dumb some franchises are. Guy has been sheer quality for years now and is a student of the game. Works his tail off and is in total sync with all the analytics. Can’t ask for more. Oh and he basically wanted a year to year deal.

Umm and yeah his stuff is just filthy.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Imagine getting a better version of Gerritt Cole without the massive commitment. In fact I think I said in the previous thread about a year ago that I thought he is and will be better than Cole.

It’s hard to make a case that he is better than Cole right now.

Cole’s numbers this year are filthy:

5-1
52.2 ip
8 GS
1.37 ERA
0.68 Whip
78 k
3 bb

Here’s Bauer’s:

4-2
57.1ip
9 GS
2.20 ERA
0.75 Whip
77 k
14 bb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

Seager will not require surgery. He fractured his 5th metacarpal bone in his right hand.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Ouch, our lineup today is FUGLY, gonna be rough as this a bullpen start for us as we are currently w/o a 5th starter sans May.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how Alex Cora is cheating with Boston this year.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Ouch, our lineup today is FUGLY, gonna be rough as this a bullpen start for us as we are currently w/o a 5th starter sans May.

Beaty, Neuse and Barnes are 3-3 so far
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Alex Wood is 5-0 with the Giants.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Neuse is (bleep), his error opened the floodgates.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
Imagine getting a better version of Gerritt Cole without the massive commitment. In fact I think I said in the previous thread about a year ago that I thought he is and will be better than Cole.

5-1
52.2 ip
8 GS
1.37 ERA
0.68 Whip
78 k
3 bb

Here’s Bauer’s:

4-2
57.1ip
9 GS
2.20 ERA
0.75 Whip
77 k
14 bb

Agreed but last year Bauer was substantially better for the whole year. Small sample this year so far.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Alex Wood is 5-0 with the Giants.

Giants are getting some amazing performances this year:

Posey - 1.151 OPS
Gausman - 1.84 ERA
Desclafani - 2.14 ERA
Alex Wood - 1.75 ERA
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Gave another game away. This year our "versatility" is hurting us. Way too many errors. We've now lost EIGHT straight 1-run games.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

He shouldn't be playing middle infield. Thats on Roberts. They sit Taylor, move Lux to short and put Neuse on second leaving an outstanding line up of Lux, Raley, Neuse, Barnes, pitcher. Its like he was throwing the game. Barnes should only be catching on days when Kershaw pitches and an occasional other game here and there. Taylor should play everyday until Bellinger and McKinstry come back to the line up. Is it that hard to make out an intelligent lineup. Today the Dodgers were lucky to score 2 runs. And putting Neuse at second wasn't giving him his best opportunity to succeed. But yeah Dave thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Ugh
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

He shouldn't be playing middle infield. Thats on Roberts. They sit Taylor, move Lux to short and put Neuse on second leaving an outstanding line up of Lux, Raley, Neuse, Barnes, pitcher. Its like he was throwing the game. Barnes should only be catching on days when Kershaw pitches and an occasional other game here and there. Taylor should play everyday until Bellinger and McKinstry come back to the line up. Is it that hard to make out an intelligent lineup. Today the Dodgers were lucky to score 2 runs. And putting Neuse at second wasn't giving him his best opportunity to succeed. But yeah Dave thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Ugh

Well CT3 had a sore wrist and was scartched just before the first pitch so can't Dave too much, the cubbard is bare for middle infielders right now.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:

5-1
52.2 ip
8 GS
1.37 ERA
0.68 Whip
78 k
3 bb

Here’s Bauer’s:

4-2
57.1ip
9 GS
2.20 ERA
0.75 Whip
77 k
14 bb

Agreed but last year Bauer was substantially better for the whole year. Small sample this year so far.

Well, what you called a “whole year” last year was 11 starts.

And what you called a “small sample” this year has been 9 starts...

So yeah, if 11 starts and 73ip makes Bauer a better pitcher than Cole, then you are absolutely right. Bauer was definitely better than Cole for 73 innings in 2020.

I guess you can make a case that he’s better than deGrom as well based on those 73ip last year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject:

The Taylor thing doesn't sound great, either, frankly. It popped up while he was taking swings before the game, and it's not like they said afterward that they expect him to be fine and it's just a precaution. Left a tone of uncertainty, and you don't like to hear that. If he's down for a while, we really have some problems. Even if McKinstry gets back soon, he's probably stretched as a major league second baseman for every inning of every game. Obviously, with Lux needed at SS now, a Taylor injury would be especially problematic.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Well CT3 had a sore wrist and was scartched just before the first pitch so can't Dave too much, the cubbard is bare for middle infielders right now.

Didn't get to see the game as it came on at 0 dark thirty. Sorry to hear about Taylor he has been integral to the team's success.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Price is expected back tomorrow.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:

5-1
52.2 ip
8 GS
1.37 ERA
0.68 Whip
78 k
3 bb

Here’s Bauer’s:

4-2
57.1ip
9 GS
2.20 ERA
0.75 Whip
77 k
14 bb

Well, what you called a “whole year” last year was 11 starts.

And what you called a “small sample” this year has been 9 starts...

So yeah, if 11 starts and 73ip makes Bauer a better pitcher than Cole, then you are absolutely right. Bauer was definitely better than Cole for 73 innings in 2020.

I guess you can make a case that he’s better than deGrom as well based on those 73ip last year.

Right..so let’s combine last year starts with this year. I think Bauer edges out Cole since Cole was handed the Yankee contract. Also, Cole was good but not great last year. Bauer has been great both years. Either way it’s pretty close wouldn’t you say? The difference is one guy is on a 3 year deal and the other on a 9.

With the numbers being so close what would you rather have?

Can you say Cole has been better the last 20 starts? Definitely no. Has Bauer been better? Yes..marginally but still better.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject:

^
Although we could lose Bauer after just one year. While there's a great chance that Cole isn't close to as good for the last couple of years (at least) of that deal, the Yankees know they are going to have ace-level pitching for a few years.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Right..so let’s combine last year starts with this year. I think Bauer edges out Cole since Cole was handed the Yankee contract. Also, Cole was good but not great last year. Bauer has been great both years. Either way it’s pretty close wouldn’t you say? The difference is one guy is on a 3 year deal and the other on a 9.

Can you say Cole has been better the last 20 starts? Definitely no. Has Bauer been better? Yes..marginally but still better.

Snipes wrote:

Yeah, but you made your statement “a year ago”.

So a year ago, you said Bauer is better than Cole. So a year ago, did you only use 2020 numbers or did you combine 2019 + 2020?

Now this year, you want to make the same statement but you either want to use 2020 numbers only or combine 2020 + 2021.

Whatever criteria you used for determining that Bauer was better than Cole last year and this year, it should be consistent. If last year you only looked at 2020, then this year you should only look at 2021, for consistency sake.

It seems somehow, you’ve deliberately ignored looking at 2019 when making your assessments. Is it because you don’t like the results of 2019?

And yes, Bauer has a better contract than Cole, I don’t deny that at all. I don’t think anyone would argue that.

But when you say that Bauer is and will be better than Cole, I think your criteria should be somewhat consistent.

He had a better year than Cole last year. He probably had the best year of any pitcher.

Cole’s having a better year this year. Cole was also better than Bauer in 2019.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:

Snipes wrote:

Yeah, but you made your statement “a year ago”.

So a year ago, you said Bauer is better than Cole. So a year ago, did you only use 2020 numbers or did you combine 2019 + 2020?

Now this year, you want to make the same statement but you either want to use 2020 numbers only or combine 2020 + 2021.

Whatever criteria you used for determining that Bauer was better than Cole last year and this year, it should be consistent. If last year you only looked at 2020, then this year you should only look at 2021, for consistency sake.

It seems somehow, you’ve deliberately ignored looking at 2019 when making your assessments. Is it because you don’t like the results of 2019?

And yes, Bauer has a better contract than Cole, I don’t deny that at all. I don’t think anyone would argue that.

But when you say that Bauer is and will be better than Cole, I think your criteria should be somewhat consistent.

He had a better year than Cole last year. He probably had the best year of any pitcher.

Cole’s having a better year this year. Cole was also better than Bauer in 2019.

This has now gotten way out of hand. Makes me wonder why I ever bother with message boards.

I “thought” he was better than Cole meaning that’s how I felt not that he IS. And I also said “will be” as in I think Bauer has a brighter future ahead. There is no denying how dominant Cole was in 2018 and 2019 and you would have to be a fool to think Bauer had better seasons. However I’ve followed Cole his whole career and I wasn’t convinced he was going to maintain those obscene Houston numbers, thus I felt Bauer is a better option and will have a better future. Cole signs contract and has a let down year by his Astro standards and Bauer wins a CY Young. This year the numbers are very close.

I can’t remember the last time someone has looked into something I’ve said so hard. Utterly ridiculous. If it makes you feel better Poly let’s just say I made a mistake...Cole is better than Bauer and whatever I thought last year was absurd and biased because we didn’t get Cole in free agency. Hopefully this makes you happy and you can go onto nit pick and tear apart other folks on this message board instead. FFS.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Hopefully this makes you happy and you can go onto nit pick and tear apart other folks on this message board instead. FFS.

Yeah, I’ve never understood why people get mad/frustrated when other people read what they say carefully...

Basically you just want people to casually accept your comments/opinions without much thought.

You brought up an interesting point to me, that Bauer was/is better than Cole.

I want that to be true as well, but in fairness to Cole, I feel that the claim should be scrutinized thoroughly.

If you feel scrutinizing whether Bauer is really better than Cole or not is annoying or frustrating to you, then I don’t know what to say. Baseball is a game of numbers. Let’s scrutinize the numbers...

That’s all I want. Let’s really look at Cole vs Bauer. But first, we need to define what are the criteria we are using.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 60 of 395
Jump to: