Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
I was just hoping I was missing somebody.

Trey Murphy III is your missing guy.

Seems like a reach at 21-23 (based on current mocks) but those shooting percentages at that size?!

👀

Can he defend?

No.

After watching him in SPL, he can absolutely defend. I’m shocked I didn’t see this guy as highly as I should have. I was quite pleasantly surprised. Moves the feet well, uses his length to make up when guys blow past him. Found himself guarding 2-4 fairly effectively. Takes pride in that end and seems to actually be decent with Stocks as well. I’ve become a fan quickly.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

Seems like a reach at 21-23 (based on current mocks) but those shooting percentages at that size?!

👀

Can he defend?

No.

After watching him in SPL, he can absolutely defend. I’m shocked I didn’t see this guy as highly as I should have. I was quite pleasantly surprised. Moves the feet well, uses his length to make up when guys blow past him. Found himself guarding 2-4 fairly effectively. Takes pride in that end and seems to actually be decent with Stocks as well. I’ve become a fan quickly.

I was concerned at the total lack of physicality/chest contact that he almost refused to show at University of Virginia. Lots of guys aren't taking advantage of that when they're going at him.

Yes, he moves his feet, and has long limbs, but for me, that's 2 of 3 parts to defense physically. I was surprised to see him using his physicality more often, especially when he looked contact avoidant.

Can't scout improvement. Otherwise, Ayayi would be a more physical defender too. Even he was being more physical defensively along the perimeter than Murphy III.

The stocks were always there. The question mark was how quickly would he improve to get to the NBA level. Happy to see big strides happen in such a short amount of time.

I even had Jalen Johnson almost to the Laker pick after having him as a lottery prospect. He fixed his hitch REAL fast.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Hey Mike, did you scout Matt Coleman III from Texas? Not sure of his point guard skills but I can't recall seeing anyone with more quickness and speed than him in the SL. Did not get much minutes playing behind Davion but he looks special in this respect.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

👀

Can he defend?

No.

I was concerned at the total lack of physicality/chest contact that he almost refused to show at University of Virginia. Lots of guys aren't taking advantage of that when they're going at him.

Yes, he moves his feet, and has long limbs, but for me, that's 2 of 3 parts to defense physically. I was surprised to see him using his physicality more often, especially when he looked contact avoidant.

Can't scout improvement. Otherwise, Ayayi would be a more physical defender too. Even he was being more physical defensively along the perimeter than Murphy III.

The stocks were always there. The question mark was how quickly would he improve to get to the NBA level. Happy to see big strides happen in such a short amount of time.

I even had Jalen Johnson almost to the Laker pick after having him as a lottery prospect. He fixed his hitch REAL fast.

That physicality, really surprised me too. The battle with Kuminga was what really impressed me. He looks like he could end up a solid third star beside of Zion and Bi if things work out accordingly.

I didn’t get to really watch Jalen in SPL but if he fixed that jumper that quickly, mannn,….that’s huge. He has literally everything you want in a switchable 4.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
That physicality, really surprised me too. The battle with Kuminga was what really impressed me. He looks like he could end up a solid third star beside of Zion and Bi if things work out accordingly.

Yeah. He'd often find himself switched onto a guard or anyone, and just really avoided a lot of chest contact all the way to the rim, and sometimes, not even there.

Good to see he made the improvement. He's still a 3 and D player without a ton of creation, so even if the defense was there, I'd likely still be lower on him. I value shot creation that much.

Jalen Johnson on the other hand, well, Schlenk is the draft goat GM now.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Nobody was blown away by Deuce McBride in Summer League? He surprised me with shooting over 50% from 3 on high volume (for SL). I loved the young man before the draft, but he greatly exceeded my expectations in SL. He played like I would expect a lottery pick to perform.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Nobody was blown away by Deuce McBride in Summer League? He surprised me with shooting over 50% from 3 on high volume (for SL). I loved the young man before the draft, but he greatly exceeded my expectations in SL. He played like I would expect a lottery pick to perform.

You already know it didn’t surprise me Don. Deuce was one of my favorite players in the draft.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

He was a pleasant surprise. He fell out of my list for the Lakers pick as he appeared to be a tweener between PG and SG and I still have doubts on which position best fits him.

Currently I lean towards SG and despite having the wingspan to somewhat offset his lack of height, 6'2.5" in shoes, I would have really favored him if he was another 2-3" taller.

If his 3pt shot can hold up between 37-40% coupled with his handles and ISO skills he would fit as a useful scorer off the bench. I just don't believe he has the instincts or skills to be the lead guard on a title contending team.

The Knicks have a glut of guards of his type so it will be interesting to see if he is able to earn minutes from Thibs.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject:

A summer league rant.

Was very disappointed in coach Crawford and his player rotations. Did we really need to see 6 games of Robinson and 7 of McClung and Cacok? Is the purpose of the SL to win games, showcase players to enhance their professional opportunities, international included, or primarily players identified with NBA potential. I would hope it would be inclusive of all these factors and players such as Floyd, Griffin and Hagedorn got more minutes on the court.

Hagedorn is arguably the best shooter on the team and the type the Heat turn into rotation pieces.

Floyd showed the ability to repeatedly penetrate the lane and not get smothered like the other small guards and Reaves repeatedly were.

Griffin is the one I really wanted to see if he would be able to execute his iso skills and shooting stroke against similar NBA type athletes. It was frustrating watching McClung play out of control and have his offense repeatedly shutdown when another option was available.

I am not saying any of these 3 are NBA level talents but it sure would have been more interesting to see different talents on the court.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

^How much do you want to bet, the agent behind McClung and Robinson said, "he'll go to your team if you give him the PT"

Cacok was fine. Not like there were any other dominant bigs.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^How much do you want to bet, the agent behind McClung and Robinson said, "he'll go to your team if you give him the PT"

This had crossed my mind but I dismissed it as why the Lakers would need to curry favors for below average NBA talent. Maybe their agent(s) represent other players the Lakers have interest in or ties to but as individual talents they both never deserved the court time they received.

I can see some worth in Robinson as a SL PG who helps organize the play on court but they could have at the minimum shortened his minutes.

Maybe McClung did garner interest from other teams so the Lakers needed to be competitive to get him to sign. However similar to Robinson his minutes should have been shortened as it was obvious he was struggling on court and probably hurt his prospect status.

Yes Cacok played okay but did we need to see him play 7 games with the majority of minutes over Childs and Hagedorn? Essentially his play was a mirror of itself from game to game. Would have been nice to see if Hagedorn could have some gravity as a stretch big and I would also point out he played PG in high school and he mentioned that is an underrated aspect of his game.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

This had crossed my mind but I dismissed it as why the Lakers would need to curry favors for below average NBA talent. Maybe their agent(s) represent other players the Lakers have interest in or ties to but as individual talents they both never deserved the court time they received.

I can see some worth in Robinson as a SL PG who helps organize the play on court but they could have at the minimum shortened his minutes.

Maybe McClung did garner interest from other teams so the Lakers needed to be competitive to get him to sign. However similar to Robinson his minutes should have been shortened as it was obvious he was struggling on court and probably hurt his prospect status.

Yes Cacok played okay but did we need to see him play 7 games with the majority of minutes over Childs and Hagedorn? Essentially his play was a mirror of itself from game to game. Would have been nice to see if Hagedorn could have some gravity as a stretch big and I would also point out he played PG in high school and he mentioned that is an underrated aspect of his game.

It's a relationship league.

I'd rather watch Cacok than the other bigs who just weren't able to compete. Saw plenty of Childs, enough of Gill. Hagedorn, fine, but I really don't see what the big deal is.

Robinson is the one who has a lot to play for. He's already been in the G League on year. McClung, the same, and he's never felt like he's proven it at Georgetown or Texas Tech.

We saw enough guys. Do you remember seeing the 11th and 12th men of other teams? I don't.

Probably had to take on McClung just to get Trevelin Queen onto the team with PT. Same agent.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

It's a relationship league.

I'd rather watch Cacok than the other bigs who just weren't able to compete. Saw plenty of Childs, enough of Gill. Hagedorn, fine, but I really don't see what the big deal is.

Robinson is the one who has a lot to play for. He's already been in the G League on year. McClung, the same, and he's never felt like he's proven it at Georgetown or Texas Tech.

We saw enough guys. Do you remember seeing the 11th and 12th men of other teams? I don't.

Probably had to take on McClung just to get Trevelin Queen onto the team with PT. Same agent.

I understand how important relationships are given how the Lakers and Klutch brought the Lakers another championship and keep them title contenders.

While I followed a number of teams I only look at players who stood out but I also noticed a number of teams sitting out players to give others more usage. One player I did notice was Matt Coleman III who I mentioned in an above post asking if you had a scouting report on him. He was never discussed in this thread to my recollection but caught my attention in the limited time he was given.

As for McClung and Queen, it may have been the reverse of what you stated. They brought in Queen to get McClung on the team given they appeared to be committed to McClung as he secured the exhibit-10 early on. Kind of ironic McClung may cost Queen a camp invite.

Not a big deal just my rant as I like to watch prospects play and in particular I had a liking of Hagedorn if you remember my posts from the 2020 draft thread.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, a mistake giving McClung the E10 instead of Queen.

JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject:

omg … they’re pumping #1 pick as the greatest draft pick of All time…

he looks like a taller KD to me…
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53
Page 53 of 53
Jump to: