LAKERS -at- BLAZERS - 2-9-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- BLAZERS - 2-9-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Self-Inflicted Wounds... Last year, I talked about their Core Four (LBJ, AD, AC, KCP). Our guards provided strong perimeter defense with their two bigs behind them. When healthy, they were tough. They split that up this offseason, trading KCP and, worse, not resigning Caruso.

The Lakers have slowly deconstructed their championship team.

Tonight, n the eve of the trade deadline, Russell Westbrook missed his first game of the season as the Lakers rolled into Portland. The Blazers, of course, have been raided for parts in recent trades. No Dame, no CJ to face tonight. For the Lakers, it was their 28th new starting lineup -- a new one every other game.

In the first quarter, the Lakers went 2-8 from the line, combine that with some wide open missed threes by Monk and others and they were down 20-18.

The three shooting came alive in the second quarter as Ellington and THT hit multiple from behind the arc. The Lakers extended to a 7-point halftime lead despite 10 first half turnovers.

Shortly into the second half, Portland tied the game up. AD wasn’t challenging on the perimeter, so they popped threes off of screens. Offensively, LeBron settled for low-effort plays. The Lakers would fall back by 7 in the fourth, but even things up midway through the quarter.

Down the stretch, the offense fell apart. We put the ball into Monk’s hands as a playmaker and that resulted in some big turnovers. (No idea why they didn’t go to their usual inverted screen actions where LeBron has the ball, but they paid the price). They’d miss a couple of finishes at the rim on the break.

Down 3, they got a miss with a few seconds left and could possibly set up a final shot to try to tie it. They couldn’t secure the defensive board and that killed them for good. The Lakers fell 107-105, one of their more pathetic losses of the season.

The self-inflicted wounds on the court, the self-inflicted wounds off the court, they have all piled up.

LeBron -- -- We probably lost this game last night by running him in some half-baked attempt at a comeback. He was a game-time decision, which is why you worried about the team not calling it a night early in the last game. He led the team with 15 at the half. He was getting to the rim, getting fouled again with no calls, and scoring. His only three of the half bounced off the back of the rim about 10 feet in the air and dropped through. Early in the second half, he struggled to find his second wind and settled for some poor quality shots. In the second half, he didn’t get his first bucket until about 16 minutes in, a three that he got his legs into. He help take a lead with 5:40 left on a reverse. He’d get a big dunk with 2:21 left to cut the lead to 2. But then a big turnover that led to a three the other way. Normally, we have him orchestrating things late, but instead we had guys trying to force feed him in the high post for turnovers. Just really poor execution and that did them in. Not great defense by LeBron, either. He had moments of ball watching. Still 30 points on the second night of the back to back. The Stats: He scored 30 points on 13-22 shooting (3-7 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals, 6 turnovers and 1 foul in 37 minutes. He was a -5.

Davis -- -- Nurkic was scoring with some relative ease on him early (15 points). Barely any punching back from AD with just 5 points in the first half, including missing three FTs. The Blazers got going in the second half by picking on AD out on the perimeter with high screens. That led to good looks and the lead erased. He’d adjust and block a couple of jumpers and the Lakers would regain their lead. He also had a nice block on Nurkic late in the game, one of 5 blocks on the night. He definitely missed not having more playmakers on the floor. We ran some simple pick and pop for him and also found him for a lob a couple of times (THT on a nice ATO off a high screen on one of them). Just too passive, though, early in this one. The Stats: He scored 17 points on 8-11 shooting (0-1 from three, 1-4 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, 5 blocks, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 41 minutes. He was a -1.

Monk -- -- We got him two of the best looks he’s seen this year to start the game and he missed both threes. That was a sign of things to come I guess. He went scoreless in the first half, those being his only attempts. He did have a nice lob to AD of two-man handoff sequence. The turnovers have been one of the knocks of his game so far in the NBA. Early this season, we saw a bunch of them from him. Then, he played clean for a long time. We simplified things. Had him catching and shooting quite a bit. But he was also executing some lob passes pretty well. The turnovers and bad decisions when he got sped up tonight just piled up. Usually, we aren’t putting the ball in his hands to make passes late in the game. We have him screening for catch and shoots or taking handoffs versus dribbling. Down the stretch, the turnovers just killed the Lakers. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-8 shooting (1-4 from three) to go with 4 boards, 2 assists, 6 turnovers and 2 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a +0.

Bradley -- -- You subtract Russ’s lack of D for Bradley’s average defense and shooting. Something like this would be the scenario in those Russ-of-the-bench pipe dreams. We really lost a bit of playmaking. Monk and Bradley combined for 4 assists and 9 turnovers as our starting guards. A couple big miscues down the stretch. He tried forcing a pass into Bron that was a turnover. He’d miss a big corner three that we really needed. We’ve got a patchwork backcourt made of minimum contract that we’re giving big minutes to. Can’t expect them to consistently give you big nights. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-6 shooting (2-5 from three) to go with 4 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 3 turnovers and no fouls in 36 minutes. He had a +0.

Ariza -- -- Another of our minimum contracts starting tonight. He sank a couple of threes and grabbed some boards. Stanley kind of won over the minutes as the game went along. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-4 shooting from three to go with 5 boards, 1 assist and 2 fouls in 20 minutes. He was a -1.

Johnson -- -- I liked his aggressiveness. He was attacking as soon as he got the ball in his hands. Some good reads of seams in the D and he went after them. I’m not sure if that’s him just getting more comfortable, but it’s been picking up lately. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 3-5 shooting (1-2 from three, 4-6 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a -5.

Reaves -- -- He had been getting increased minutes over Bradley. Not tonight. Just 13 minutes. He sank a three on a kickout. He also had this great play on the weakside setting a screen where he faked it, curled back to the lane and took the pass for a layup. Very nice sequence. Defensively, again some strength issues. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-4 shooting (1-2 from three, 0-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 2 assists and no fouls in 13 minutes. He was a +1.

Horton-Tucker -- -- Big charge call late in this one. I suppose one of the advantages of Russ not playing is more opportunity for THT with more favorable lineups. He knocked down three threes in the first half. That will work with any lineup. He’d hit another one in the second half. Makes a big difference when he’s knocking those down. Some nice passes at times, including a lob to AD out of an ATO. He also swung a quick pass to Reaves for a corner three. Vogel used his challenge when the refs called THT for an offensive foul as he was falling to the ground on a kickout. It was overruled and THT avoided a 5th foul a the time and picked up the assist on a three. Huge offensive fouls with 1:06 left. He was attacking in transition and called for the charge as he tried to bully his man. We were down 5 then and that possession loss was especially painful. It was a 1-on-4 break. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 5-8 shooting (4-6 from three) to go with 3 boards, 7 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers and 5 fouls in 24 minutes. He was a -1.

Ellington -- -- In the game to start the second quarter and he instantly hit a three. He’d hit another from the other side of the court a couple minutes later. He’d also find Reaves over his shoulder on a kickout for a three. Second half was a bit of a disaster. Missed threes and then some poor defense. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 3-6 shooting from three to go with 1 board, 1 assist, 1 steal and no fouls in 15 minutes. He was a +2.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: The inability to get this win against the Blazers is just huge. You can’t lose this one. Ultimately, the offensive miscues down the stretch killed the team. The team is certainly not this bad. Change caused the problem to begin with. The 28 starting lineups, constant change. It’s a mess. It seems the Lakers will likely keep making changes.

Key Substitution: I go back to last night, playing LeBron and AD too many minutes.

Key Stats: The Lakers had 21 turnovers, the Blazers 10. The Lakers shot 6-13 from the line (46%). That’s an awful percentage.

Coach’s Challenge: THT kicked out to Ellington on his way down and was called for tripping to pick up his fifth and take away a three. It was overruled and saved a foul and got the three to count. Pretty good challenge, results wise.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject:

No words

Whatever optimism left might have been thrown out the window after this loss.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I have no clue how you mustered up the energy to do your regular, and usual, outstanding write-up. Kudos to you.

I think you summed it up nicely. KCP and AC were not just replaceable parts, yet they were discarded much like the toys in Toy Story. Also, I think the lack of any big man playing right now, except AD, is completely hurting the team. It's pretty clear to me advance scouting reports just say "live in the paint" when LBJ is at the 5. They were abused in there tonight by guys who were mostly bench fodder.

Team construction needs to be completely re-analyzed, and overhauled. A solid, younger, shot blocking big who is mobile to go with AD. A backup big to be in there and switch in when the other rests. A solid long, taller, wing defender that we've been asking for 3 years now. And, unfortunately, I think a new fresh perspective from a coach to motivate these guys...I am not blaming Frank here (although his rotations can be poked at), but it just seems to me he has lost that locker room. I just do not think they are listening to him.
pointfour
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for still putting the effort to write these recaps, DB. If only the Lakers played with as much effort as you did tonight, they probably get this win.

Nothing really positive to add after tonight's embarrassment. But when you're team leader throws in the metaphorical towel during an interview the night before, is it really that surprising.

Haven't really had time to watch the games these last few months because of a new job (lucky for me based on what I've been reading).

Just wanted to say thanks DB. Your recaps help me feel connected to the team despite not getting to watch too often.

Trade deadline should be interesting tomorrow ⏳️
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

The Lakers, including LeBron, didn't seem to have their heads in this game. They played at half-speed and half-intensity.

As bad as Russ has been lately, this game showed us that he's not really the problem and that our problems run much deeper than him.

As Kobe once said, next season starts right now.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject:

pointfour wrote:
Thanks for still putting the effort to write these recaps, DB. If only the Lakers played with as much effort as you did tonight, they probably get this win.

Nothing really positive to add after tonight's embarrassment. But when you're team leader throws in the metaphorical towel during an interview the night before, is it really that surprising.

Haven't really had time to watch the games these last few months because of a new job (lucky for me based on what I've been reading).

Just wanted to say thanks DB. Your recaps help me feel connected to the team despite not getting to watch too often.

Trade deadline should be interesting tomorrow ⏳️

It's like that quote from the movie Rudy, "I wish God would put your heart in some of my player's bodies."
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Damn WB didn’t even make DB’s report
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Excellent write up of a beyond abrogious game

Sorry you had to sit through that mess in order to write this, but always grateful that you choose to do so.

Thanks DB
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I stopped watching after the 3rd. I miss KCP and AC so damn much.

Please Pelinka, don't do anything stupid today.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject:

Thank you for doing this, DB.

The team is completely dysfunctional, from the FO down to the players. They all deserve some blame for this (bleep) show we're witnessing.

I can't wait for the All-Star break to come. Hopefully guys will come out with a little more focus. I'm tired of this (bleep).
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject:

How is a healthy Bron-AD team can't beat a lottery team, this isn't a roster or coaching problem alone, both Bron and AD have regressed from their championship season even though stats still look good, basura
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject:

I thought we were trying to do some good things and trying to get into stuff we used to be great at, and even defensively do a lot of the type of stuff we used to be good at. The word there - USED TO. Used to when we ran those 5 out sets, you would have some cutting from KCP/Caruso/Kuz. You would get some of the same stalling issues, but you wouldn't see the same volume of bad decisions you see with the team this year with WB (Not playing in this one) Monk, THT. Yesterday really showed how many guys make bad passes on this team, no discipline. In contrast, guys like Danny Green, KCP, Caruso, etc they seemed to be much much more disciplined. I compare them more to Reaves, who is somewhat a more disciplined playmaker I find.

It's clear though that Monk/THT are not starting level, and neither is Bradley in terms of creating shots. So we need players that can help AD/Bron a little more, unless you want to be a lockdown defensive team. Westbrook was supposed to be that guy, but can't be anymore or needs all the plays run for him.

AD struggled as well early, seems he had some sort of fall early and didn't look as active (also 2nd night of B2B). With the age of these guys probably would have been wiser to have kept Bron out of Bucks game and had him 100% fresh for the Portland game. The edge is just not there.

Goes back to the whole situation where the team felt they could do certain things and just couldn't.

Does Frank survive after the Warriors game?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject:

Respect DB for doing a write up for this game. I couldn't have done it.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
I miss KCP and AC so damn much.

So much truth to this.

Thanks DB, really appreciate your T&R's, win or lose.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. Stick A Fork In Em They're Done

Our front office really blew it this season. I don't have any evidence but I think LeBron picked this roster and they capitulated. I'll admit I thought we had a real chance to win a ship with it. Oh, how wrong I was.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject:

I know that no one should say this the way this season is going but I am shocked we didn’t win this game by double digits. Westbrook is just the tip of the iceberg of problems for this team.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject:

"The self-inflicted wounds on the court, the self-inflicted wounds off the court, they have all piled up."

This. The self-inflicted wounds on the court are an extension of the self-inflicted wounds off the court. How can a guard who cannot shoot which is the prerequiste for helping James & Davis, not be viewed as a self-inflicted wound?

Then, to add to the misery, he doesn't play defense. I realize he didn't play last night, but the makeup of the team from that horrendous trade, and the self-imposed, or self-inflicted, limitations to make serious additions, is what we saw before last night.

We're giving serious minutes to two free agents (Reaves & Johnson) who would be the 8th or 9th players in our rotation on a championship roster. Ideally, so would a twenty year old third year player.

We have very little two way players which causes Vogel to have to figure how how does he blend pieces together that do not fit.

Howard, Melo, Jordan, Bazemore, Ellington, are all on their last legs. Combine them with the three mentioned above and the issues we have are obvious, and obviously self-inflicted.

LeBron's acknowledgement that we're not on the level of the Bucks, or any other top-tier team, speaks to his mindset. Surely that mindset creeps into his play, as well as the rest of the team.

Oh, and thanks DB for your work, and allowing me to post my piss & moan here.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:

Thankfully, this didn't happen. I was shaking my head at some of the ideas floating out there.

But nothing smart happened, either. I'm curious what all the offers were.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject:

All of these issues were brought up in pre-season. Sloppy play, poor defense, lack of rebounding, lack of points in the paint. All we heard was "Don't worry, it just preseason."

Yeah....right.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
All of these issues were brought up in pre-season. Sloppy play, poor defense, lack of rebounding, lack of points in the paint. All we heard was "Don't worry, it just preseason."

Yeah....right.
Supposedly - veterans were expected to know how to execute plays at the highest level, good defense can be played if players are providing the necessary effort, rebounding is all about energy (doesn’t Dwight and WB good rebounding stats - lol)), LBJ/AD/WH should be scoring in the paint and shouldn’t this roster work well with each other since LBJ/AD were a big factor in putting this team together???
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: