ESPN Mexico Re: International Basketball

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: ESPN Mexico Re: International Basketball

I was in Mexico the last four days.

On the basic cable I saw ESPN and ESPN2 not only show NBA games but Euroleague games too.

Forgive me on the spelling but I saw CSKA Moscow with Langdon from Duke vs Olympikos with the Clippers' very own Baby/Greek Shaq.

Dude looks like Heloti Ngata from the Ravens with incredicly nimble feet.
Huge arms,shoulders,and backside. Has about a 4 inch verticle leap but had soft hands and was crafty around the basket. Sealed his man and got to the basket with ease. If there is room in this league for Eddy Curry at his monstrous salary there is room for Sofoklis Shortanstitis(sp?).

CSKA Moscow had an American Center from some small US college. Apparently he aquired Russian citizenship and will be on Russian's national squad. Took a Russian bride along the way too.

They also advertised games for next week of Tau Vitoria (Tiago Splittler's team) .

They advertised ESPN would should playoff games from the Australian NBL. The Taipens(apparently some kind of snake) have the coolest uniforms. White with a bronze/black/white snake skin pattern on the side.

They had a game between the Tijuana Dragones vs the San Diego Wildcats. I don't know what league that is but sounded interesting.

Other than the domestic Mexican teams I can't imagine there is a bigger audience in Mexico for international basketball than in the US.

Even if it is only Draftniks watching Euroleague instead of David Letterman or Conan O'Brian it has to be bigger potential audience in the US. I wish ESPN would show those games here.

BTW the ESPN Spanish language broadcasters were better than average, more than I expected.

BTW II NBA TV is part of the basic cable in Mexico although not in Spanish, English only.

BTW III Mexico has a national cable channel like TNT called TVC that has an NBA game of the week. The play-by-play guy and the color analyst are horrible. They didn't even have the basic rules down.

BTW IV You can't see Basketball on Mexican tv without seeing a commercial starring Eddie Najara. Apparently Webber Bread is the taste of the NBA. Not only sandwich bread but hot-dog and hamburger buns too. Maybe it was because I wasn't watching soccer but it looked like Najara had more endorsements than Mexican soccer stars.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject:

splitter is soooooooo overrated it's unbelieveble.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
splitter is soooooooo overrated it's unbelieveble.

JonG from Draftexpress is going ape(bleep) over anyone who says that in the draft forum at realgm.

If you say that you are an ignorant ugly American.

It seems Europeans like him as a 5 on defense and his low post game, where he is a playmaker first.

Brazilians see another player on their National team. He is a perimter oriented 4 that can defend.

Americans generally see another soft White Stiff.

I don't know who to believe anymore since ESPN will not let me see him first hand.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject:

iv'e seen enough of him to know.

my team has another game against him and his team in a few days - so i'll get to see him again.

splitter is a more athletic nesterovic.

is that horrible ? no.

but is that a lottery pick in the last 3 drafts and especially this one ?
no way.

he's not even an elite player in europe yet. just a good solid big with lots of upside. he has ways to go before he can think about being a dominant nba big man.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: