LAKERS -at- WIZARDS - 3-19-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- WIZARDS - 3-19-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Strong Start, Weak Finish... The Lakers controlled this game early after a strong first quarter, leading by as many as 16 points at times.

Both teams traded hoops between the second and third quarters. In a stretch of about 6 minutes between the third and the fourth, the Lakers lost a 14-point lead. No rebounding, stagnant offense, poor perimeter D, turnovers.

It was a disaster.

The offense got into late-clock, iso chuck mode. The Lakers just sucked the life out of the ball and paid the price again and again with poor offensive possessions.

It’s possible the back-to-back got to them that final quarter. They looked out of gas, for sure. But we’ve also seen this all season and we’re past excuses. Late in games, we just consistently initiate the offense too slow.

With a minute left, it was still anyone’s game. The Lakers missed their threes and the Wizards hit theirs to go up by 6. Malik Monk would knock down a three with 50 seconds left to cut it to 3. As they reviewed whether it was a three, the Wizards drew up their play. The Lakers stood and waited. The Wizards executed a clean look from three for Porzingis, the Lakers took and missed an off-balance iso chuck from three on LeBron. Ball game.

The Lakers fell 127-119 to an undermanned Wizards team.

LeBron -- -- Got to put things in perspective here. He scored 38 on the second night of the back-to-back, coming off overtime. At any age, that’s good. Too bad the team fell apart to make this one ugly late in the game. He doesn’t score under 20 too often, so you knew if he was good to go, he’d pass Karl Malone and move into second all time for scoring in the regular season. Only Kareem is in front of him. He did it in the second quarter. It started with a flurry of threes. The third one he jab-stepped and hit from the left wing to tie Malone. He passed up cutting against the zone for Stanley to hit him for a layup. He’d score 23 points on 10-16 shooting in the first half. Second half he looked more stagnant and tired as the game went along. He had some layups on attacks and overpowering guys, but defensively he and the team looked stuck in cement. Wheels fell off his game late. The Stats: He scored 38 points on 16-29 shooting (4-10 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 6 assists, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a +3.

Westbrook -- -- Strong 10, 6 and 6 first half. Good job reading the floor and distributing the ball early on. Just a couple of assists in the second half. We really lost our ball movement and cutting. As the game went along it got worse and worse. Russ bailed out a few stagnant offensive possessions with his jumper. We were fortunate that was there. Honestly, not a bad game from him or LeBron, but we lacked some good floor general leadership down the stretch. Defensively, some of the automatic fouls Russ takes in transition drive me a little crazy. Often, there isn’t a clear advantage when he takes them. This happened in the third and that just turns a bump foul later by Melo into instant FTs instead of ball out. The Wizards shot 31 freethrows, the Lakers just 11. The team was awful with the fouls. Just outworked. The Stats: He scored 22 points on 10-15 shooting (2-3 from three) to go with 10 boards, 8 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 5 turnovers and 3 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a -1.

Monk -- -- He led the team with a +16. The minutes he and Reaves sat, killed us. Monk was finishing at the rim quite a bit early in the game. He was attacking the interior of the Wizards which was pretty small and also forced bigs to the perimeter. He’d also get out on the break for a two-handed reverse jam. And he’d knock down a corner three off a pin-in screen from Reaves. He’d knock down a couple more threes, including one with 50 seconds left on iso to keep the team to needing just one defensive stop. The Stats: He scored 17 points on 6-9 shooting (3-5 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 3 assists, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a +16.

Reaves -- -- He was a +17 in the first half (tied with Monk) in his 14 minutes. You wished he was out there a little more because the energy faded a bit in the second quarter. But, perhaps, Vogel was keeping the minutes in check on the second night of the back-to-back after the OT? Well, the wheels fell off when we sat Reaves and Monk late in the third and early fourth. We lacked fight and energy. We weren’t boxing out or battling on the glass and paid the price. Reaves got tapped on a couple of threes in the second half. We could have used those. Defensively, not his best game. He gave up a straight line drive on a two-for-one sequence in the first half and occasionally got overpowered or shot over by bigger players. But he was always putting in an effort, which was hard to find as this game went along. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 3-6 shooting (1-4 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal and 3 fouls in 27 minutes. He was a +7.

Johnson -- -- Good game by Stanley. He got to assist LeBron on his layup to pass Malone. Stanley probed the middle of the zone, Bron cut behind the defenders up top and Stanley found him for the layup. He started the second half with a steal for a dunk. He’d score a couple more layups working off others in the paint. The Wizards put Porzingis on him defensively at times. The idea being that he probably won’t space the floor great and it’s going to beat him off the dribble. Stanley’s pretty active, though, with screens, probes and cuts. The Wizards went to the zone to try to keep Porzingis in the middle on a few occasions. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 5-9 shooting (0-2 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal and 2 fouls in 25 minutes. He was a -3.

Anthony -- -- This game turned with the poor Laker bench. Off the bench and he was an automatic bucket on his first touch with that post-up turnaround. He’d knock down three threes. The problem with Melo is coach ends up leaving him in games when he shouldn’t. I don’t want a lot of minutes from Melo. But he rested the previous night, Vogel probably thought he’d give the team a lift with some energy tonight. But there were still sequences where you were wondering why he was out there right now. We played very, very small with him out there tonight as one of our bigs while Howard didn’t play. Vogel didn’t want to use him because the switching D was working, he thought. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-10 shooting (3-6 from three) to go with 4 boards and 3 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a -7.

Horton-Tucker -- -- One of the key reasons the Lakers lost. THT was awful. He went 0-5. And also fouled a three shooter. The team had no flow or chemistry. “We didn’t play well when Bron was out of the game tonight,” Vogel said. He specifically mentioned THT and Melo being out of synch tonight. It was obvious and very much threw a wrench into things as we faltered during that late third early fourth stretch. You’ve got to win those first few minutes of the fourth to take the Wizards out of this. Nope. One of his poorest games of the season. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-5 shooting (0-2 from three) to go with 3 boards, 3 assists, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 17 minutes. He was a -12.

Augustin -- -- Some ugly attempts from three in his first shift. If he’s not hitting, he needs to be sitting because he offers little else for the team. (Note: I wrote that point in the first half. After the game, looking at the stats and, yep, nothing: no rebounds, no assists, no steals, no blocks, 1 foul…really, statistically nothing. Hard to do.) The Wizards went on a 9-0 run on the tail end of his first shift when the Lakers were looking sluggish and he airballed a three, as well. But we went back to him again in the second half and got more of the same. He and Bradley led the team with a -17. The Stats: He scored 2 point son 1-3 shooting (0-2 from three) to go with 1 board in 18 minutes. He was a -17.

Bradley -- -- Oof. I didn’t understand the use of him tonight. He’s basically eating Monk or Reaves minutes. Our bench was awful. Sure, give Bradley some run after his great previous game. But it was apparent we had guys playing with more impact. Yet, coming down the stretch he’s lingering on the floor. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 2 boards and no fouls in 18 minutes. He was a -17.

Gabriel -- -- Back to the bench in this one. He had a pretty good ankle twist in the last game, so you don’t know what to expect in this one. He struggled a bit with foul trouble again with 4 in just 12 minutes. In a game where we’re sending the Wizards to the line again and again, that stuff adds up. He was a little too tentative with the jumper, passing up on a corner three once and attacking to get swatted. I wanted to see him get a couple more of those corner threes up with how he shot them last night. The Stats: He cored 4 points on 1-3 shooting (2-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 12 minutes. He was a -7.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: Those bench minutes were ugly tonight. With 2 minutes left in the third we had a 14-point lead. That close to the quarter and start of the fourth with THT and guards out there, killed all flow and gave momentum to the Wizards. We lost momentum there. I’m especially irritated with the execution in the final minute. That sequence where they were reviewing Monk’s three (note that was created on iso) everyone just sat around waiting for the results. When the Wizards came out of the deadball, they had a play, executed it and hit a three. Us? We had LeBron iso for an off-balance three. What a waste of an opportunity to set something better up.

Key Substitution: Vogel didn’t want to go with Howard because he said we were doing well with our switching. That was early in the game. We gave up 32, 35 and 34 defensively in the final three quarters. It wasn’t working at all.

Key Stats: The Lakers shot 10-11 from the line, the Wizards 26-31. Too many freebies.

Coach’s Challenge: Huge challenge to get an And-1 foul taken away. We got it switched to a hook foul on Porzingis prior to Stanley’s foul. The Lakers trailed by 1 instead of possibly 4 after that with over a couple minutes left. Good usage.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Look at that! DB should coach this team. He'd actually make some simple adjustments that would get the win!

Vogel saying they did a good job switching

What a buffoon of a head coach. People will still back him up though! My grandmother who's never seen or heard of basketball would make the adjustment to bring Dwight in. She'd look at the bench and see Dwight and logically conclude that HEY! Opponents have a tall guy killing us. Maybe i should bring in our only tall guy to disrupt.

But wtf does she know, she doesn't know what sports is.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
Look at that! DB should coach this team. He'd actually make some simple adjustments that would get the win!

What a buffoon of a head coach. People will still back him up though! My grandmother who's never seen or heard of basketball would make the adjustment to bring Dwight in. She'd look at the bench and see Dwight and logically conclude that HEY! Opponents have a tall guy killing us. Maybe i should bring in our only tall guy to disrupt.

Mike Brown and his staff might have been better than Vogel and his current staff.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
TMG wrote:

Mike Brown and his staff might have been better than Vogel and his current staff.

Probably. At least i wouldn't have to watch Frank's permanent shocked face every time they show him on camera. Seriously he has one facial expression.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

We can’t even beat a short handed awful wizards team when Lebron and Russ both had great games….
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
TMG wrote:

Probably. At least i wouldn't have to watch Frank's permanent shocked face every time they show him on camera. Seriously he has one facial expression.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/surprised-pikachu

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
TMG wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
TMG wrote:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/surprised-pikachu

Thats the face right there.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I'm convinced Vogel has made early reservations for Cancun and so he desperately needs to miss the play-in.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject:

This team is f*ing diseased. Rotten to the core. Fundamentally f*d.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:

“We were beating them all night with our switching” (on why no DH)

Uhmmm you lost 3 of the 4 quarters AND you were only beating them until you weren’t- ya know like the 22-9 run. WTF game you watchin, Vogs? So frustrating 🤬
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject:

I find it puzzling that Vogel didn't strategically double team Porzingis. He was hurting us down the stretch. We either needed more size on him, or double team him to make someone else beat us.

A simple defensive adjustment would have helped a lot.

Thanks DB!
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject:

Teams are leaving Kyrie and Seth Curry open in order to double KD, but we can’t double Porzingis cause we’re scared of Ish Smith?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject:

Vogel has thrown the towel

Thanks, DB.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- WIZARDS - 3-19-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

On the brighty side:

DancingBarry wrote:
[LeBron] scored 38 on the second night of the back-to-back, coming off overtime. At any age, that’s good.

01 38387 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*
02 36947 LeBron James
03 36928 Karl Malone*
04 33643 Kobe Bryant*
05 32292 Michael Jordan*
06 31560 Dirk Nowitzki
07 31419 Wilt Chamberlain*
08 30026 Julius Erving*
09 29580 Moses Malone*
10 28596 Shaquille O'Neal*
11 28218 Carmelo Anthony
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject:

Frustrating to see this team lose this one, I caught a little bit of the first and felt we had great energy and momentum from the last one. But, I just saw the endig coming. Was telling a friend, this game ain't over and with the 2nd night of a B2B and guys like Melo in the rotation, our defense will be exposed at some point.

And that's what happened.

Would have loved to have AD to be able to slow down Porzingis in the 4th. Porzingis had a hell of a closing game, and we just don't have a matchup for him outside of AD.

Anyway, overall, it's just the same old. We've got an amazing but old player in Lebron, Westbrook sometimes shows up, and we have some young guys with energy but not much consistency.

If I'm Frank, I go out this season with playing the young guys to allow them to keep giving energy to Bron/AD/WB. I didn't get why we didn't start Gabriel or give him big minutes. It's not like Melo will be back next year. We need to play guys like Monk, Reaves, Stanley, Gabriel, THT big minutes, because it's what we can realistically bring back next year.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>
If I'm Frank, I go out this season with playing the young guys to allow them to keep giving energy to Bron/AD/WB. I didn't get why we didn't start Gabriel or give him big minutes. It's not like Melo will be back next year. We need to play guys like Monk, Reaves, Stanley, Gabriel, THT big minutes, because it's what we can realistically bring back next year.

Right, but perhaps Vogel knows he's not coming back next year!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

This is one of the few games IMHO where frank wasn't ideal.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>If I'm Frank, I go out this season with playing the young guys to allow them to keep giving energy to Bron/AD/WB. I didn't get why we didn't start Gabriel or give him big minutes. It's not like Melo will be back next year. We need to play guys like Monk, Reaves, Stanley, Gabriel, THT big minutes, because it's what we can realistically bring back next year.
Right, but perhaps Vogel knows he's not coming back next year!
Nah - if he knows and/or feels like a lame duck - young players would have been on the court

Might have been Gabriel’s injury in last night’s game that limited his minutes plus we were playing a depleted team (lol)

Hockey Style of Substitution
Hopefully Vogel’s pattern of shortening the rotation and substituting more quickly to help players provide the needed energy will continue. The side benefits is that is a certain combo of players aren’t playing well - they are out. Downside is that players can’t get into a flow if their PT isn’t long enough while they are on the court

Reeves/Johnson/Monk/Gabriel are play more MPG than they expected, while relishing the opportunities that is giving Vogel a chance to see how they play

Wolf - You are always “On Point!”
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject:

Ah #LeSigh...

Thanks DB
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

<snip>
Nah - if he knows and/or feels like a lame duck - young players would have been on the court

What does Frank gain by that? Young players are a Lakers' investment, Frank doesn't gain anything by indulging them - they won't be playing for him next year, so why play them? Just look at THT and how up and down he is - that's typical for young players.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. "Early on I said Frank Vogel wasn't the right coach for this team. I was bombarded with, "What are you talking about, he won a ship?" Now it's, Frank needs to go. He got us to the finals on a AD prayer.

IMO he never had the locker room. LeBron ran the team on the floor and in the FO. Jeannie gave him everything he wanted except his coach. He wanted Tyronn Lue. I don't know how far we would have gone if Lue were the coach. I think it would have been further than we have.

Lakers fans look for a 3, 4, year rebuild. I've been here since 1960, seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. This is ugly. Buckle up people, it's gonna be a rough ride.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

<snip>Nah - if he knows and/or feels like a lame duck - young players would have been on the court
What does Frank gain by that? Young players are a Lakers' investment, Frank doesn't gain anything by indulging them - they won't be playing for him next year, so why play them? Just look at THT and how up and down he is - that's typical for young players.
Playing the older players would be trying to keep his job - supposedly

Vogel is playing the young players that he has far greater trust to win games, despite what the FO or other chatter would say.

If we can have a rotation where Melo/Dwight are playing in short bursts on the floor, they can provide some offensive threats and rim protection.

Given their position in the standing, hopefully Vogel is trying to see how far the young players (Reeves/Monk/Johnson/Gabriel) can go.

When AD comes back, will the LBJ/AD P&Rs come back with Westbrook in the "Dunker Position" with Monk/Nunn as the Sniper.

Johnson, Reeves, Gabriel and Augustine/Melo with Le WestBrick would be a good bench
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Thanks DB. "Early on I said Frank Vogel wasn't the right coach for this team. I was bombarded with, "What are you talking about, he won a ship?" Now it's, Frank needs to go. He got us to the finals on a AD prayer.

IMO he never had the locker room. LeBron ran the team on the floor and in the FO. Jeannie gave him everything he wanted except his coach. He wanted Tyronn Lue. I don't know how far we would have gone if Lue were the coach. I think it would have been further than we have.

Lakers fans look for a 3, 4, year rebuild. I've been here since 1960, seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. This is ugly. Buckle up people, it's gonna be a rough ride.
Would the Lakers be better with Lue as the HC, not much considering all the In&Outs because of injuries. With the Clips, the lineups have been consistently with no talks of PG/Kawahi returning

If LBJ is running the front court, then he is totally responsible for not keeping the players that he brought in not being accountable to their responsibilitiesmon the court.

Lakers have big problems at closing games. Since LBJ controls the end of games situations, lack of movement and shot selections are absolutely in his control since he is the one with the ball

Note: LBJ is Uber Talented and one of the GOATs in the NBA, but he is 37/38 years old playing 35-40 MPG!
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I was watching up until the 3rd quarter before I had to go to an event. They were easily dominating from the opening tip, LeBron and even Westbrook were making jumpers from everywhere. I couldn’t believe it when I checked the score after the game. I get it when teams just have a bad night but it is just inexcusable that they somehow found a way to lose when everything was clicking.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: