Scouting Department Moves - Roster Building
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Scouting Department Moves - Roster Building

Lots of threads about major moves being made by the team. This thread is about the smaller moves at the end of the roster and on 10-days.

There has been a lot of movement this year, perhaps more so with all of the turnover and needs created by Covid. Without using anything but roster spots and two-way deals, the scouting department has found some interesting players.

1. Austin Reaves (Two-way, minimum contract)
2. Stanley Johnson (three 10-day contracts, tbd)
3. Sekou Doumbouya (Two-way, released, Two-way)
4. Mason Jones (Two-way contract)

Other players who have passed through this year
* Joel Ayayi (Two-way contract, released)
* Chaundee Brown (Exhibit 10 contract, Two-way contract, released)
* Frank Mason III (Exhibit 10 contract, GLeague deal)
* Cam Oliver (Exhibit 10 contract, GLeague deal, picked up by an NBA team)
* Trevelin Queen (Partially guaranteed training camp invite)
* Jay Huff (Two-way contract, released)

With all of the Covid 10-days out there, it’s probably especially challenging to mine talent in this cast of players. The scouting department has continued to do great work in this area.

(I left IT and Collison off the list b/c those seemed more like stopgap moves from well known players).

Last edited by Laker's Fan on Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject:

Since this post, we have done the following:

1. Signed Stanley to a 1+1
2. Waived Doumbouya to sign Gabriel to a two-way deal
3. Given Reaves a starter / heavy rotation role

Most expect Gabriel to get a 1+1 like Stanley. Presumably one of Huff, Chaundee or Doumbouya gets another two-way.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject:

I like the Stanley/Reaves move. Now get Gabriel in the same 1+1. Then you likely have on paper, Nunn/THT/Reaves/Stanley/Gabriel as 5 rotation players next year.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I like the Stanley/Reaves move. Now get Gabriel in the same 1+1. Then you likely have on paper, Nunn/THT/Reaves/Stanley/Gabriel as 5 rotation players next year.

Ditto. That’s four semi-rotation guys for under $10 million+ THT. We still need better Bron/AD compliments in the starting rotation. But this is a good setup for our depth.

They also picked up Damien Jones last year but let him get away. Wouldn’t mind bringing him back on a Min to join this group. Huff is on SBL and can space. But unless he’s improved a lot, doesn’t look like he has the lateral quickness to defend at the NBA level.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Stretch:
Westbrook

Sign
Gabriel to 1 + 1 (b4 playin this year)
Monk - MLE
Shroeder - BAE
Cousins - Vet Min

Bring back
DH, Melo, AB, DJ

Hope for health and development with next year’s team:
AD Cousins Dwight
LeBron Gabriel Melo
Stanley THT
Monk Reeves Bradley
Nunn Shroeder DJ

If Monk gives a discount and we can keep him without MLE then also keep WB instead of Shroeder and just let WB expire to avoid multi year cap hit.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Sign
Gabriel to 1 + 1
Monk - MLE
Shroeder - BAE
Cousins - Vet Min

Bring back
DH, Melo, AB, DJ

AD Cousins Dwight
LeBron Gabriel Melo
Stanley THT
Monk Reeves Bradley
Nunn Shroeder DJ

Did Westbrook disappear?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Fixed
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Stretching Westbrook gives me that horrific feeling of seeing Deng on the cap sheet for years, except, it's 3 times that size. Not going there. Rather have Russ play out next season.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I would say these smaller moves speak to not needing to stretch Russ. He's been really bad this year and I still expect a divorce is the most likely outcome. But the players that were signed to fill out the roster at the start of the season were like six extra coffin nails. Now we're investing in player-types that can actually help, and if we had a longer runway I think you'd see meaningful improvement by the team.

Not to go GOT on the situation, but in some ways, it looks like the influence of our scouting department (Jesse) has emerged as a greater part of the decision making. Our track record has been to bring in Klutch players, former Pelinka clients, and former Lakers, while trading away our draft capital on the cheap despite having an elite scouting team. Since midseason, we elected to cut Jordan rather than surrender a pick, we didn't move Russ for Wall (Klutch), we've started to play a different cast of players, and we've been the most active team in the league in use of our two-way contracts.

That isn't to say we've seen a major shift in the power paradigm. But something to keep an eye on.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I understand, and can’t blame you for not wanting that...it is painful still.

Hope we can keep Monk without the stretch.

However...That sinking feeling that I have about the repeat of Deng tho...the the embarrassment of this season is worse. I would be open to the WB stretch to try to avoid it. Would be ANGRY (lol not that it matters) at front office if they threw in a lame duck season next year. I believe with the right moves a championship, tho a long shot, can be had. With a uncertain window I’d rather go for it now. Those multiple rebuilding tanking seasons still hurt and I don’t want to re-enter an era like that so soon if there’s a chance for another title.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Fixed

Dang, I thought you might have found a way to get rid of him.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Stretch:
Westbrook

Sign
Gabriel to 1 + 1 (b4 playin this year)
Monk - MLE
Shroeder - BAE
Cousins - Vet Min

Bring back
DH, Melo, AB, DJ

AD Cousins Dwight
LeBron Gabriel Melo
Stanley THT
Monk Reeves Bradley
Nunn Shroeder DJ

If Monk gives a discount and we can keep him without MLE then also keep WB instead of Shroeder and just let WB expire to avoid multi year cap hit.

this team is exactly where we are today yet with long money from russ.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Stretching Westbrook gives me that horrific feeling of seeing Deng on the cap sheet for years, except, it's 3 times that size. Not going there. Rather have Russ play out next season.

you are correct, plus you probably get a deal around trade deadline where we would be in control.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject:

However...That sinking feeling that I have about the repeat of Deng tho...the the embarrassment of this season is worse. I would be open to the WB stretch to try to avoid it. Would be ANGRY (lol not that it matters) at front office if they threw in a lame duck season next year. I believe with the right moves a championship, tho a long shot, can be had. With a uncertain window I’d rather go for it now. Those multiple rebuilding tanking seasons still hurt and I don’t want to re-enter an era like that so soon if there’s a chance for another title.

With 15m Russ stretch for 3 years, it’s like paying $25-27m a year for Monk (so he can get a full MLE). Not worth that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

With 15m Russ stretch for 3 years, it’s like paying $25-27m a year for Monk (so he can get a full MLE). Not worth that.

And that’s before they stretch the stretch to add on a couple of more years. We could be paying Westbrook into the 2030’s.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject:

thought this was a scouting thread but y’all turned into another FA thread.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And that’s before they stretch the stretch to add on a couple of more years. We could be paying Westbrook into the 2030’s.

Not just 25-27 mil for Monk to get MLE, it’s also added another potential impact player in the rotation for the BAE. I understand if anyone doesn’t want to stretch Westbrook...it is a bitter pill to swallow. Consider what it may mean tho:
Keeping Westbrook = losing Monk without adding anyone else
Stretching Westbrook = keeping Monk and adding BAE

Basically keeping Westbrook may be just hoping we play a lot better while losing one of our top five players. At least the stretch gives us access to the MLE and BAE.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject:

I can get why they would stretch him as it does allow them to use their full exceptions. But I think the only way they'd do that is if the only other way to get him would be to lose picks and/or take back bad contracts and get fleeced in a deal. I don't think that would be their first priority.

The best case scenario would be to find a team who has some decent players who are on contracts they want to get out from under (not expirings) and to round out the roster with those players imo.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
thought this was a scouting thread but y’all turned into another FA thread.

Who do you think assesses potential FAs? Scouting isn’t just college players.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject:

I think you can see a clear separation of how the Roster is being built under Pelinka/Klutch, where brand and existing relationships appear to be priorities, and who we've brought in based on player scouting (Jesse/Joey). This is a really important distinction IMO, especially with how poorly the roster construction and asset management have been handled over the last couple years. While most Laker fans want different decision makers calling the front office shots, Jeanie seems uninterested in moving on from Kurt and Rob. But if her siblings start to have more of a voice in roster construction, that will shift the dynamic in a material (if unconventional) way. Having the coaching staff bench vets for players who have been brought in through two-way deals and late season free agent signings is a step in the direction of the scouting department.

Side Note: Since we've put players like Reaves, Stanley and Gabriel in the starting lineup at various points, I dropped the "(end of the bench)" part of the title.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I can get why they would stretch him as it does allow them to use their full exceptions. But I think the only way they'd do that is if the only other way to get him would be to lose picks and/or take back bad contracts and get fleeced in a deal. I don't think that would be their first priority.

The best case scenario would be to find a team who has some decent players who are on contracts they want to get out from under (not expirings) and to round out the roster with those players imo.

I don't think people realize how impactful tacking on 15-16m/year in dead cap space for 3 seasons will be. It will affect a potential rebuild of having 2 max FA slots, so I don't see the Lakers going that direction.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think people realize how impactful tacking on 15-16m/year in dead cap space for 3 seasons will be. It will affect a potential rebuild of having 2 max FA slots, so I don't see the Lakers going that direction.

I agree with you on that one. I hope they don't do it. Though I could see a scenario where they do if they feel they have to get Russ off the roster to get the exceptions and the only way to do that is to dump assets. In that scenario they might do it out of desperation. Hopefully with Russ taking a buy out to lower the total cost. But I'm hoping he pads his stats enough to close the season that they can get some type of value out of him instead.

I don't see any way they can bring him back though. It would just be throwing away another year as he's a terrible fit.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject:

As largely anticipated, Gabriel signed a deal into next season. Would have been nice to get him for a second ful year, but kudos on a good signing anyway. The Lakers have now mined three young players who could play a role in next year’s team in Reaves, Stanley and Gabriel. Add that to Tucker, Nunn, and (hopefully) Monk, and you have a little youth to work with. All of this done with nearly no draft or cap capital.

The Lakers also signed Mac McClung, G-league rookie of the year, with the two-way vacated by Gabriel. Their other two-way, Mason Jones, garnered g-league MVP consideration.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
As largely anticipated, Gabriel signed a deal into next season. Would have been nice to get him for a second ful year, but kudos on a good signing anyway. The Lakers have now mined three young players who could play a role in next year’s team in Reaves, Stanley and Gabriel. Add that to Tucker, Nunn, and (hopefully) Monk, and you have a little youth to work with. All of this done with nearly no draft or cap capital.

The Lakers also signed Mac McClung, G-league rookie of the year, with the two-way vacated by Gabriel. Their other two-way, Mason Jones, garnered g-league MVP consideration.

Now imagine if we haven't traded away picks like they're nothing

Young legs are always better than washed up vets. even if they're not technically brilliant, at least they give us effort.

Our vets give us nothing. Wasted precious roster spots with DAJ, Bazemore, Ellington and Ariza all season long
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Now imagine if we haven't traded away picks like they're nothing

Young legs are always better than washed up vets. even if they're not technically brilliant, at least they give us effort.

Our vets give us nothing. Wasted precious roster spots with DAJ, Bazemore, Ellington and Ariza all season long

Yeah, the Scouting Department (Jesse) has routinely performed near the top of the league, while the Executive Management Team (Jeanie/Pelinka/Klutch/Rambis) has largely been poor. To be fair, the challenges in their respective areas are very different, but we've underutilized the Scouting Department for sure. Instead they've prioritized the servicing Klutch, former Pelinka Clients, and players with brand recognition.

There was a shift during the second half of this season though. We abstained from using draft capital to move Russ (as James wanted) or moving off of Jordan's salary (something Jeanie probably would have liked). We have also started to feed the roster with scouting department players.

I'm hoping we use some $ to get into the second round this year and let the scouting dept take a swing or two.

**Side note - it looks like the Lakers picked McClung over Chaundee Brown, who signed a deal with Atlanta.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: