NPZ gets a shout out on Bill Simmons Podcast
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone ever seen npz and Simmons in the same room before?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:
npz is everything Simmons wants people to think Simmons is

And more.

More of what is the question.

Well, not a Celtics fan among many other things.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Has anyone ever seen npz and Simmons in the same room before?

I'm an entity, something illusory.

This Hulu thing might be played on BSPN, I heard. Hope so. I like their format. Only so in depth they can go w/ a 20% cap on total minutes of actual NBA gameplay clips, but I think it'll be a good non-fiction pairing to the HBO one, which is sure to be "fabulous" a la The Forum. Fabulous in both of its meanings. I heard Norm's departure will be addressed as he was miffed. I got a recap of his first game against LA, 10/15, 25 pts in 1st half. Sterling and Ballz were such weasels for putting the stop on any trades with LAL because By Scott panned out as the 4th pick. The F they expect? Norm was still good when traded, but that's what can happen if you deal a vet for a 4th overall pick, especially when high picks weren't usually as inflated as they've been in recent years. That's just one bit. Since 30/30 already did the covered-to-death Lakers/Celtics angle, I'm hoping not too much is put on that topic. Can't avoid it completely, but anything at this point would be such rehash because even non-LAL/BOS fans know the story. And I hope not a ton is put on salacious sex scandals in our history besides the obligatory mention. Same thing makes me yawn in any JFK related book/docu/article.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:
npz is everything Simmons wants people to think Simmons is

And more.

More of what is the question.

Well, not a Celtics fan among many other things.

I'm a Celtic Buster. Did you have that shirt? How bad did 84 suck in you more seasoned veterans' memories? It's one thing losing in 2008 the way we did (w/ shenanigans by malevolent Leprechaun refs in Gm2 and the lousy 24 pt choke, and the lousy 479 pt L in the closer). It's another thing to lose a hotly contested series in Gm7 after some critical mistakes. And you had'to've known that Earv was gonna again wear outsized goathorns from the media who fell all over themselves whenever he dared to make a mistake. They showed their consistency from the 81 dump of Westhead to Earv's supposed blame for there being flakes on the 96 team (despite Ced saying Havasu was due to a personal matter; 20 yrs apart, same story). The media coverage of LAL/BOS must've been obnoxious then. Fact, I know it was because I've seen the Dr. Buss/Riley clips where they talk about how the media fawned all over BOS as a lunchpail/hardhat/"thinking...." team (loaded word) and LA was just a fastbreaking/"more athletic...." (loaded in the way it was utilized, even if true) schoolyard team. Typical EC writer arrogance.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Got all the stuff I gave Hulu back today, the 35th anniv of the Baby Hook. Rapped w/ the dude a little. Insider bit is that they showed Jeanie the Riley/West/Buss Westhead footage and she said Dr. B was very pissed at the way West did what he did because Dr. B wanted Riles to be brought along slowly w/ West as the titular coach. I had to take the 81 Westhead/Riley footage down and keep it down for a couple mos after Hulu airs the thing. They basically paid me a grand for that and a clean clip of Riles as color comm. NBA didn't have good clips of either. But they used some of my other stuff, too.

This is gonna be a 10 hour straight-up documentary (not HBO fantasy). They wanna put the first 2 hours out on Kobe Day 8/24, but he said that was their hope at least. However, it'll be 2 hrs on night one and then an hour a day til it's finished. There has never been a documentary on any pro sports franchise like this one, obviously. I figure once other channels gauge the viability and success of this one that other franchises will be done long format in the future.

He said mostly gonna focus on 80s naturally, but they talked to every particular they could get. Riles, Phil, Norm, Jamaal, James, Earv, Jeanie, West, etc. And former sports casters back in the day and writers like Lazenby.

But my fave part is that NPZ, YOUR! favorite poster, will have his name emblazoned on all 10 epis in the credits as "Special thanks to:) and also my NPZ handle. World-known, muh fuh's! Come on!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Got all the stuff I gave Hulu back today, the 35th anniv of the Baby Hook. Rapped w/ the dude a little. Insider bit is that they showed Jeanie the Riley/West/Buss Westhead footage and she said Dr. B was very pissed at the way West did what he did because Dr. B wanted Riles to be brought along slowly w/ West as the titular coach. I had to take the 81 Westhead/Riley footage down and keep it down for a couple mos after Hulu airs the thing. They basically paid me a grand for that and a clean clip of Riles as color comm. NBA didn't have good clips of either. But they used some of my other stuff, too.

This is gonna be a 10 hour straight-up documentary (not HBO fantasy). They wanna put the first 2 hours out on Kobe Day 8/24, but he said that was their hope at least. However, it'll be 2 hrs on night one and then an hour a day til it's finished. There has never been a documentary on any pro sports franchise like this one, obviously. I figure once other channels gauge the viability and success of this one that other franchises will be done long format in the future.

He said mostly gonna focus on 80s naturally, but they talked to every particular they could get. Riles, Phil, Norm, Jamaal, James, Earv, Jeanie, West, etc. And former sports casters back in the day and writers like Lazenby.

But my fave part is that NPZ, YOUR! favorite poster, will have his name emblazoned on all 10 epis in the credits as "Special thanks to:) and also my NPZ handle. World-known, muh fuh's! Come on!

Much deserved NPZ!
Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:16 am    Post subject:

Absolutely bad ass! Ima spread the word
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject:

Congrats!

And the $$$ is not bad, I'm sure!
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Congrats, how cool! Thanks for your work over the decades.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Congrats, how cool! Thanks for your work over the decades.

My pleasure, my Laker brothas (and sistas). I like to share the goods. I'm easily the least stingy person w/ my Volt materiel of any other uploader of Laker antiquities. I think it's partly because I'm a history buff and an educator at heart (to the younger kids who are filled with wonder about years they missed out on, think Candy Cane types).

But, I in turn, love to hear about the daze I missed out on from big Laker bros like Larry B (non-Bird, but a Legend just the same). Larry = aka LG poster "CabinCreek44". Not a volume post guy, he posts cogent or not at all, love his stuff, he kept a bunch of newspaper boxscores from late 60s to early 70s. CC44 is our biggest Jerry West fanatic and he dated back to his playing days, he has a cool tale about West's final game in the 74 Preseason. The Legend has a voluminous West/oldschool Lakers memory. EG: there's a copy of the 1979 WCQFs LAL at DEN, Gm 3 (3 gm miniseries) out there, but it is missing the last minute of the game and it was a 1 pt Laker win, but I had never heard or saw how that game ended. Larry informed me that Kareem won it at the buzzer with a long skyhook a la Magic's 1st pro game. It's a damn shame that footage has never been aired to my knowledge. Not even sure if the NBA has that full game. But that's a Larry Legend anecdote for you. CabinCreek44 is the name. Check for receipts.

My bro spflakers, aka Furious Shawn Fury, (also not a volume poster), is an actual published NYC sports book writer. Great peoples those two gents, on and off the field. But this site is full of Goodfellas and a few dames who know their stuff. All yall above got my love and respects: Dr. L, focus, Jodie Key, johnyB, CMB (who I played hoops with on 1/1/10, I won 2/3 games of "21" from Monty, but I don't wanna brag - also won the single 21 gm against LG poster Dominator, but again...not bragging), kikanga, Cuth, the artist formerly known as KB/CB, and all the other Br0z. Lanny, man. I loved to read Lann's soap boxes re: Jobbie, et al. Your spite dripped with hostility and sarcasm. Used to have me cackling while taking your genius in. I forgot who your 5 worst refs were, tho I'm sure the Crawfords were in there. I'd like to hear an updated account of current referee agenda by Lanny, but if you're less interested in today's NBA, I certainly wouldn't blame you, because I'm there, too.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject:

That is such great news, NPZ. Can not wait for this documentary. If the producers had really wanted the best of the best they would have also had you on as a talking head, but still, getting stuff from the Volt is the next best thing, I guess.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

So when's it out my dude?!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:46 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
So when's it out my dude?!

Dude says 8/24 (Kobe day) as the premiere date "is our hope" and they will air the first 2 epis/hours on Day 1 and then an hour every day after (weekdays, of course). He made it sound like 8/24 was what they would love, but stuff could happen. However, I think it's gonna air at some point because they spent a lot of time and hours on the research and interviews. I'm more confident because dude was bringing up what would be some very obscure topics to a non-45+ yr old franchise fan, stuff like Norm's grievances in early 80s, Westhead silliness, what happened to McKinney when he recovered from fall, etc.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject:

Awesome! Congrats again.

P.S. - They should have paid you more.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Awesome! Congrats again.

P.S. - They should have paid you more.

Thanks, Linda and others. Nice of you to say. I would gladly order anything from your menu. What's your specialty? What kinda food we talkin bout?

They called me months before and asked me to rip out a bunch of clips for them for 20 bucks an hour or somethin and I never was into that (a ton of work) and then 6 mos later they offered a nifty cashier's check that I never asked for. I took a pic of it. It was from SHOWTIME LAMF, Hollywood, California, whatever that means. I didn't ask for anything from the 30 For 30 dude, but Mama NPZ didn't raise no dummy. When you got a check for a grand, you take it. I was like George Jefferson per Chris Rock. George was nasty to anyone who rang the doorbell who DIDN'T have a check for him. If they did, it was, "Come on in! Weesy, fix him up a plate!..." And the guy drove over to my jernt to take and return them. Fuggedaboutit. The NBA archives are a little bit lean going back to the early 80s, it would seem. They had crappy/incomplete versions of specific stuff they needed to make the thing go rite. Both them and 30/30 specifically wanted the only existing decent clip proving Riles was a colorman. I knew of one from a 1987 KHJ-9 pregame retrospective on Chick that featured all of his prior colormen to include Al Michaels(!) You'd sooner find Jesus' grail before you find a complete game w/ Pat doing color.
Birmingham
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject:

NPZ is a blessing to us all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: