2022 NBA Draft - Lakers have acquired the 35th pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
There's another guy on UNC I like a ton, that'll likely be 2nd round to undrafted, but I need more footage before I write about him on my Substack.

Leaky?

Looks like they all decided to run it back.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
There's another guy on UNC I like a ton, that'll likely be 2nd round to undrafted, but I need more footage before I write about him on my Substack.

Leaky?

Looks like they all decided to run it back.

Good thing I have another guy on my list then.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
MikeLG and others, what do you think of Caleb Love and his draft prospects?

The kid seems to have the "it" factor to me, but maybe I am overrating him.

What do you think of him and is he a top NBA prospect?

Saw this late.

I tend not to like guys that just show up in the tournament and then get hyped for a hot streak performance instead of showing some level of NBA skills for the entire season.

He's running it back right? If he was a 1st rounder, he wouldn't.

LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I know you didn't ask my opinion. But Caleb Love is historically bad from inside the arc - 38% on 2 point shots. You couple that with lack of playmaking and you can see why he's not a lock first rounder at this point and decided to go back to school to improve on his game. We'll have to see if the tournament was a sign of things to come, or just a hot streak. Even if you look at his ACC tourney and NCAA tourney shooting numbers, there were two good games mixed in with a lot of bad.

2-10 against UVA
3-17 against VT
6-15 against Marguette
1-6 against Baylor
11-24 against UCLA
6-17 against St Peters
11-20 against Duke
5-24 against KU
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I know you didn't ask my opinion. But Caleb Love is historically bad from inside the arc - 38% on 2 point shots. You couple that with lack of playmaking and you can see why he's not a lock first rounder at this point and decided to go back to school to improve on his game. We'll have to see if the tournament was a sign of things to come, or just a hot streak. Even if you look at his ACC tourney and NCAA tourney shooting numbers, there were two good games mixed in with a lot of bad.

2-10 against UVA
3-17 against VT
6-15 against Marguette
1-6 against Baylor
11-24 against UCLA
6-17 against St Peters
11-20 against Duke
5-24 against KU

Excellent response.

48/29/36 (rim, mid, 3pt) FG% is basically undraftable.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject:

https://fanspo.com/u/mikeg7195/draft-big-boards/8D-AIKcYuEmCem/may-1-mock-draft

leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:02 am    Post subject:

Kai Sotto feature in Lakers Nation youtube channel

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject:

If Detroit had landed at #1, I think the debate between Chet and Banchero would be legit because they have a #1 option in Case. But Orlando desperately needs someone to run their half-court offense through better than Cole Anthony. If the Magic draft Chet - as wonderful of a prospect as he is - they're building a team entirely of third scoring options.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:49 am    Post subject:

Pete Nance! Pete Nance!! Pete Nance!!!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
If Detroit had landed at #1, I think the debate between Chet and Banchero would be legit because they have a #1 option in Case. But Orlando desperately needs someone to run their half-court offense through better than Cole Anthony. If the Magic draft Chet - as wonderful of a prospect as he is - they're building a team entirely of third scoring options.

Banchero.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I think he'll slip because he's not explosive, doesn't really make decisions off the dribble, and is more of a standstill decision-maker, but he'd be fine/great 2nd round to UDFA.

At least he got his dad's jumper.

leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject:

https://lakersnation.com/kai-sotto-prepares-to-bring-his-dreams-and-those-of-the-philippines-to-nba/2022/05/19/
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject:

David Nwaba all over again

leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Kai Sotto already #49 in SI Mock Draft. There is a rumor that he will have a private workout with Lakers.

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/draft/brett-siegels-2022-nba-mock-draft-1-0-post-combine-edition

Last edited by leking006 on Wed May 25, 2022 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject:

https://lakersnation.com/nba-draft-rumors-lakers-looking-to-buy-second-round-pick/2022/05/24/
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Yeah, I think he'll slip because he's not explosive, doesn't really make decisions off the dribble, and is more of a standstill decision-maker, but he'd be fine/great 2nd round to UDFA.

At least he got his dad's jumper.

Well, maybe next year. UNC should have a great title shot.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject:

I've done about 2-3 pods, and I've got 2 more.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject:

Final lottery board:

1) Banchero - jumbo wing; one of the best passers in this draft; guard skill level at his age and size being undervalued a bit; no one elite skill; defensive focus issues, can struggle to get back to shooters out of backpedal, and doesn't offer enough rim protection; Detroit All-Star Blake Griffin by season 3-4 with chance for more positive defensive outcome in right scheme/development environment

2) Holmgren - better shooter by age than Mobley and AD, more wiggle and passing touch than JJJ; exceptional touch in the paint; outlier offensive upside is staggering and warrants #2 pick, but more likely can't shoulder primary usage and tops out as a 3rd option with All-NBA/(DPOY?) caliber defense on a good team; a 7'1 AK-47?

3) Jabari - his shooting is the draft outlier skill; high floor 3&D; some baby deer legs similar to Ingram coming out of college - can a training staff unlock some additional burst as he physically develops? Always in triple threat mode and high fadeaway with quick release are great advantages to start with, but lacks almost any countermove except going to his hook; high, loose handle; limited passing vision and can get selfish - low probability of developing as a movement passer, but can/should improve swinging the ball from a standstill; not a step back jump shooter and wasn't used as a movement shooter at Auburn so Klay Thompson comparisons are premature; crazy how frequently he gets to the line given his shot profile

4) Ivey - SG, not a PG; if respectable shooting above the break 3s, obviously deserves good reps on-ball given nuclear first step and just have to hope half-court decision-making and better passing vision develop alongside the scoring; needs that floater to come along similar to Morant to give him a little in-between game; off-ball activity is exciting even if he's lacking as a movement shooter - DHOs, back cuts, etc. with his speed can really pressure defenses despite current C&S issue; would love to see him in Detroit running inverted PnRs with Cunningham; don't love the release point on his jumper; transition game will juice any team's regular season offense

5) Griffin - a great bet to shoot; a (risky) bet on improved quickness the further he gets from HS injuries + time with NBA training staff so he isn't consigned to being the next CJ Miles; flashed some secondary creation chops when chased off the 3pt line; history of young wing shooters in limited roles on stacked teams breaking out with more diverse skills in the NBA (Booker, Murray, LaVine)

6) J. Davis - love the motor, defense, and approach; if the shot ever comes around, there's some sneaky secondary creator upside to him with sound decision-making and tough iso scoring; just gives off good player on a good team vibes; a bit of a blah physical profile

7) Mathurin - better as a freshman, efficiency struggles on O and reduced defensive effort with increased usage this season; not a lot of wiggle as a slasher and athleticism on court doesn't pop as much as in testing; confident he's an NBA starter 4th/5th option, but skeptical there's any star upside there - maybe squint and I can see some pathway to Middleton

8) Sochan - a bet on motor, athleticism, defense, competitiveness, and offensive flashes - nice passing reads, leading the break, some combo dribble moves, the spin into midrange fadeaway he likes, post hook, etc.; again it comes down to the jump shot otherwise he's a situational backup 4/5; an optimistic shooting comp would be Kuzma who was a mediocre 3P/bad FT shooter as a freshman, but that kind of leap is rare

9) Murray - at some point the volume + efficiency are undeniable; always seems stiffer and less explosive than the dunks and stocks would suggest but I guess I lean stats over eye test in this case; really excels at getting to his spots in early offense - sprints to mid/low post and gets downhill against tilted defenses, but seems more limited against set defenses up against the clock; given age, lack of creation despite high usage, and late bloomer volume shooting, profiles more as a lower ceiling role-player 4th-5th starter; better prospect than Obi Toppin at least; maybe he has Jimmy Butler's sociopathic work ethic?

10) Duren - youth, switchability upside, and short roll passing chops help him stand out amongst a deep crop of rim protecting/rim running centers; a healthier Time Lord would be a good outcome at this point in the draft

11) Eason - the processing issues on offense limit upside with the ball in his hands even if he improves handle + shot consistency; pair him with a disciplined rim protector and let him wreck shop on defense; can he get the fouling in check? If not, he's a backup. Low floor is worrisome.

12) Branham - a much better shooting/scoring profile than Wesley even if by eye test Wesley appears to be quicker and bouncier (Wesley had oddly poor combine testing); 6'10 wingspan helps as should added strength, but defense is at a threshold where he might not be able to start on good teams

13) Daniels - smart connector role-player with significant shooting/shot issues and can be allergic to scoring; don't know how valuable the archetype is without the jumper (DeAndre Bembry vs. Lonzo)

14) Shaedon Sharpe - starting to feel like a vaporware prospect but I have no real idea so I'll throw him in here based on shooting reputation and dunks; by the eye test seems to lack the wiggle and handle I'd expect to see in a legit primary initiator prospect; the perfect Sam Presti project doesn't exi...

The next guys in no order (seem like good bets to stick as role-players with a little bit of upside):

Mark Williams, Jaylin Williams, Beauchamp, Roddy, LaRavia, Liddell

Some flawed young guys worth a swing:

Hardy, Chandler, Montero, Jovik, Wesley, Dieng

I want to believe:

Jalen Williams - fake shooter?

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:58 am; edited 4 times in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject:

I have Sharpe late first. So far, I have him lowest.

My board so far:
https://fanspo.com/draft-big-boards/8D-AIKcYuEmCem

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

Ladies and gents, IT'S ON!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: