Sopranos finale - 15th Anniv
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Sopranos finale - 15th Anniv

6/10/07

Tony wasn't killed. Please. They weren't pairing the lyrics of "Don't Stop..." to the show only to have him get whacked OFF SCREEN! I don't care what that sh-head Chase says. What does he know anyway? In the scene, they even purposely dropped a bin of utensils to mask the lyric, "born n raised in SOUTH DETROIT!" because it didn't match T's life. Silverware ruckus precisely at that point, meaning the scene was clearly paired to the lyrics, which was a trick they used many times elsewhere.

Anyway, C M B said he's doing his 2nd dive into the series just recently. The lad has stated that he considers it the GOAT television show ever, and I agree. I've seen The Wire and though it was a great show in its own right, I don't think it matched Sops. Sops being the first show of its luscious ADULT themes and dialogue (ie: for adults, by adults. FABA). It wasn't a show that the kids could join in on lest you have a dysfunctional family yourself. It was the show that everyone else afterward tried to duplicate. Like grunge bands in 91 trying their damndest to replicate "Smells Like Teen Spirit". "Teen Spirit" is the #1 90s song on any such list that VH-1 or Rolling Stone, et al, has ever made. "Sopranos" is really #1 on any similar TV show list. Any one of them that puts "The Wire" or something else is simply incorrect, that's all.

And there's something else I wanna sa

(white credits on black background, no music)
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I binged it a 2nd time a few years back. Show is so, so, sooooo good.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I binged it a 2nd time a few years back. Show is so, so, sooooo good.

As good as a sfogliatella. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sfogliatella Ooh, at orange infused ricotta filling. Mm. Orange rolls are heaven.

I love Pine Barrens, but the final 3 epis of Seas 3 are probably my fave 3 in a row. Love the S3 finale. I also love a lot of Season 5. And the Tracee episode where Ralphie whacked her (or "she fell" per Ralphie). Great epi. Another fave that I didn't like at all on first watch when it aired (3rd to last epi, iirc, Seas 6B) was "Kennedy & Heidi" -- the one where Chrissy got nosed. Years later, I rewatched S6 and I was completely impressed w/ the same epi I didn't like. I think I wasn't a fan initially because it was drawing down to the very end and it seemed like they weren't going to solve various plotholes because they continued to do weird epis. However, that one is an interesting double epi, split between Jersey and Vegas where he gets that fine Perzj babe (Sarah Shahi: real name Aahoo Jahansouzshahi). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Shahi Wouldn't kick her outta the bed, Jonny B.

Amour Fou and the final 2-3 epis w/ Gloria (Annabella Sciorra) were excellent as well. She was one of Weinstein's victims. I think Pine Barrens was one of those epis off top of my head.

I liked Seas 5, that being the Steve Buscemi, Frank Vincent, Robert Loggia season. Was good of the Sops peeps to give us a final look at Burt Young in one earlier epi and a few w/ Bobby Loggia. Burt Young most likely because of his presence in the great 1984 movie "The Pope Of Greenwich Village" starring young Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts along w/ Burt who played the mob boss. Frank V was in that briefly, check it out, JB. Try to find it, you'd enjoy. The Tony B(uscemi) storyline didn't ugh me out like it did some. I dunno why. The finale was great in that epi as well. Great thing about Sops is that in basically every finale save for S1, they hit home runs and also killed in the final 3-4 epis for the most part.

Btw, curiously, there was a 1996 passion project by Buscemi (wrote, directed, acted) called "Trees Lounge", which I also liked. Mind you, this was 96. It had Buscemi (Tony Blundetto), Mike Imperioli (Christuhfuh), John Ventimiglia (Artie), Suzanne Shepherd (Carm's mom), Elizabeth Bracco (Vito's wife), and Danny Baldwin (boss in Chrissy's movie "Cleaver"). That's 6 Sopranos actors.

From GoodFellas, it had Suzanne Shepherd (Karen's mom), Samuel L. Jax (Stacks Edwards), Debi Mazar (Sandy), Kevin Corrigan (Henry's adult aged bro in the helicopter/tomato sauce scene), Mike Imperioli (mumblin/stutterin Spider). That's 6 including Steve.

Not a coincidence as Chase was a fan of the movie, but it makes sense why Buscemi and Artie and Danny Baldwin of all people were in Sops at all.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject:

Definitely at the top of my list of all time great TV shows (with Breaking Bad slightly behind only because Sopranos broke the mold). I watched in real time and watched re-runs in real time but never went back to binge-watch. If Tony "survived" the finale, he'd surely be dead by now.

My brother attended a Sopranos discussion panel while Gandolfini was still alive (I think it was in Atlantic City). Edie Falco was the only one of the main cast not to participate (she was doing Nurse Jackie at the time). But my brother said it was obvious that among the cast, she was their least favorite person and they implied she blew off the panel because she thought it was beneath her. lol
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Definitely at the top of my list of all time great TV shows (with Breaking Bad slightly behind only because Sopranos broke the mold). I watched in real time and watched re-runs in real time but never went back to binge-watch. If Tony "survived" the finale, he'd surely be dead by now.

My brother attended a Sopranos discussion panel while Gandolfini was still alive (I think it was in Atlantic City). Edie Falco was the only one of the main cast not to participate (she was doing Nurse Jackie at the time). But my brother said it was obvious that among the cast, she was their least favorite person and they implied she blew off the panel because she thought it was beneath her. lol

That's interesting. Wouldn't have thunk that one. She probably got along w/ the big guy and Chase at minimum. Gandolf was such a lovable person by universal accord. I do remember Edie saying that she had sunken (back?) into alcoholism midseason and would slam shots as well as the men during Soprano events/functions. She had to pull back from the cast, she said. However, that may have been her own internal "representative" talking for her public persona. Per Chris Rock, the persona we use on job interviews -- that's not us, that's our representatives.

I also know of Jamie-Lynn's eating issues, which she got after being told she was too pudgy. They must be out they minds because S3 Meadow was a bad motor scooter. She was purging into Ziplocs and hiding them in her closet and then throwing them away in dumpsters in batches. She didn't purge in the bathroom because her BF/hus/fam would figure that out. I wonder about Robert Iler's weight fluctuating as that was an early scene of the show where Tony was disgusted at AJ for breaking a dish of lasagna after they had already eaten dinner. And weight w/ Ginny Sack was a big feature, show was rife w weight related stuff. That includes 2 foreshadowing mentions of T's chances at a heart attack. The actual man ate a load of stuff on his final day in Italy. There was a scene in S6ish where he and Carm had found a Nobu-style sushi restaurant that was their fave and they showed T there by himself gorging on food and sake. At one point, he makes a guttural burp and thinks he's gonna puke, but he sighs as it passes, and then picks up another bite and shoves it down. That's a perfect depiction of an American, that scene.

One of the last things I remember Gandolfini doing was a 2013 HBO special about US warfighters who returned from Iraq/Afg with physical and psyhcological scars. James interviewed the people. There were 2 guys who suffered a lot of damage to their arms from IEDs who have appeared in other movies since then. They were the two guys Chris Kyle was shooting with at the end of American Sniper, etc. But James was very patient with them and some gave him a hug, etc. One woman who lost her arm said at the end that he wrote her a sealed letter that she was to open "when she needed it" and she was keeping it sealed at that time in 2013. I'm sure his death must've hit her hard because she clearly had PTSD. She was pregnant and also had those standard "What kind of mother will I be?", worries that a lot of women get for various reasons, but for her it was because she lost an arm and could only hold her baby with one arm. They showed her injury, too (iirc IED). It was one of those 10 on a 10 scale injuries where there was zero doubt about amputation. But that was the measure of Jimmy The Gent. He and Paulie also went to Iraq to give the boys and girls something to feel happy about.

The good ones always gotta go. It's some cosmic law or something. I was considering that last night while watching some JFK content.

I haven't seen Breaking Bad yet. I'm trying to push away anything from it until I do. I have gone thru Wire, Boardwalk, and Mad Men. I liked Mad Men (generally) and some epis were very well done and poignant. The JFK/Oswald one where Don's wife also found out his real ID was great. Hamm didn't want to be typecast in those roles, but he was 90% of the reason that show got and kept fans.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sopranos finale - 15th Anniv

non-player zealot wrote:
6/10/07

Tony wasn't killed. Please. They weren't pairing the lyrics of "Don't Stop..." to the show only to have him get whacked OFF SCREEN! I don't care what that sh-head Chase says. What does he know anyway? In the scene, they even purposely dropped a bin of utensils to mask the lyric, "born n raised in SOUTH DETROIT!" because it didn't match T's life. Silverware ruckus precisely at that point, meaning the scene was clearly paired to the lyrics, which was a trick they used many times elsewhere.

Anyway, C M B said he's doing his 2nd dive into the series just recently. The lad has stated that he considers it the GOAT television show ever, and I agree. I've seen The Wire and though it was a great show in its own right, I don't think it matched Sops. Sops being the first show of its luscious ADULT themes and dialogue (ie: for adults, by adults. FABA). It wasn't a show that the kids could join in on lest you have a dysfunctional family yourself. It was the show that everyone else afterward tried to duplicate. Like grunge bands in 91 trying their damndest to replicate "Smells Like Teen Spirit". "Teen Spirit" is the #1 90s song on any such list that VH-1 or Rolling Stone, et al, has ever made. "Sopranos" is really #1 on any similar TV show list. Any one of them that puts "The Wire" or something else is simply incorrect, that's all.

But what about this:
LINK

basically the best argument I've read for why he's dead - don't even need Chase's confirmation, this alone should do it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

I can see that. But I give the nod to BB because of how intricately it was all thought out, right down to the color palettes for each character and situation and the intertwining of all the various storylines. Not to mention the editing. But it's almost an unfair comparison, because Chase wasn't attempting to do all the things that Gilligan and team did.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I can see that. But I give the nod to BB because of how intricately it was all thought out, right down to the color palettes for each character and situation and the intertwining of all the various storylines. Not to mention the editing. But it's almost an unfair comparison, because Chase wasn't attempting to do all the things that Gilligan and team did.

Yeah, at the top of the heap it comes down to taste and criteria. BB is the most intricately woven and shot story, sopranos has the most “verve”, and the wire has the broadest literary aspirations.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Yeah, at the top of the heap it comes down to taste and criteria. BB is the most intricately woven and shot story, sopranos has the most “verve”, and the wire has the broadest literary aspirations.

Yeah, I rotate which one I consider to be the GOAT TV show. I haven't done a BB rewatch but I'm looking forward to it once BCS wraps up.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

It's hard to argue with that. I've binge watched BB three full times (years apart). And it was just as compelling the third time as the first time. Even when I know what's coming it's shocking and funny and perfect all over again. I still find myself yelling out, "Noooooo! Jesse, don't do it!" And Walt's sociopathic evil has become worse for me over time. I see new bits each time around. And we live in different times now so the implication of his narcissism feels even more repulsive than in earlier viewings.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I gotta check BB. I've done an amazing job avoiding all BB content. I've only seen one scene years ago and I don't remember it. I just remember the main guy and another dude in a Winnebago in the desert. Prolly S1. You people should've told me to watch it way before this. A big part of why I haven't seen it yet is your fault! All of you!

But I'll check it. Unfort, there can't be a free way to watch this save for torrents, which I hate. Hmm... Got zero idea what studio/channel it's affiliated with (Netflix?, wot?)

I think The Wire suffers comp'd to Sops in that the 3rd season re: the docks was weak and you wanted to get thru it quick. I get why they did that, it was just the storylines and a very obnoxious character. It felt completely out of place w/ the rest of the show. Sorry, Omar and RIP KMW, but my fave character was Bodie. Naturalistic actor, could shoot spit between the gap in his front teeth.

Barry has Wire as his #1, probably. Would figure because it's about a very timely and controversial subject/area. Barack was IN TO these problems as a part of the "hopes" of his job, trying to allay some of the societal issues depicted in the show.

One of the best group of scenes in Wire were the classroom scenes and one of the most poignant and realistic parts of the show that they nailed was the depiction of the nice kid who became attached to the former dirty cop as teacher who was giving him things to eat and (iirc) a change of clothes in one part, etc. The kid had no loving parents and when the teacher announced that the kid had graduated to the next grade, the kid looked crushed. That's real in those kinds of situations. They must've talked to teachers w/ experience in places like Baltimore because there's no way they would've known about that crestfallen look of losing the only trustworthy adult in their life unless one of them taught in a place like that.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject:

^ Watch it dude. Give it a minute too. I'm normally one that gives up on a show if it doesn't grab me quickly. This one didn't but I stuck with it. Glad I did. Boy the build up and crescendo....
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I gotta check BB. I've done an amazing job avoiding all BB content. I've only seen one scene years ago and I don't remember it. I just remember the main guy and another dude in a Winnebago in the desert. Prolly S1. You people should've told me to watch it way before this. A big part of why I haven't seen it yet is your fault! All of you!

But I'll check it. Unfort, there can't be a free way to watch this save for torrents, which I hate. Hmm... Got zero idea what studio/channel it's affiliated with (Netflix?, wot?)

It's an AMC production but apparently Netflix has the streaming rights. About once a year they have a Breaking Bad marathon over several weekends free on regular cable AMC (it usually coincides with the lead up to the newest season of Better Call Saul). That's actually how I watched it. I DVR'd them.

(At some point they'll probably move it from Netflix to AMC+ so check before you buy. And most of the streaming services offer a "free" 7-day trial so you could watch it then cancel.)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Remember the "F", "F", "F", "F", "F!", "FUUU", etc crime scene investigation where the detectives said nothing but the F word? Fantastic writing that scene.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

It's an AMC production but apparently Netflix has the streaming rights. About once a year they have a Breaking Bad marathon over several weekends free on regular cable AMC (it usually coincides with the lead up to the newest season of Better Call Saul). That's actually how I watched it. I DVR'd them.

(At some point they'll probably move it from Netflix to AMC+ so check before you buy. And most of the streaming services offer a "free" 7-day trial so you could watch it then cancel.)

Strong, thx. That's how I did Mad Men, btw. Remem peepin on Netflix on my comp.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Antonacci

Damn, I didn't know Butchie died 5 years ago, one week after Frank Vincent (RIP, Philly/Billy Batts)!. Also played the googly-eyed boss Johnny Torrio in Boardwalk. I didn't know he was married to Annie Potts, either. Not bad.

2017 was the worst year of our lives.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject:

Damn, I didn't know Ginny Sack died in 2010. Only 46.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denise_Borino-Quinn
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sopranos finale - 15th Anniv

Cutheon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
6/10/07

But what about this:
LINK

basically the best argument I've read for why he's dead - don't even need Chase's confirmation, this alone should do it.

Not letting you ignore this NPZ
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sopranos finale - 15th Anniv

Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
6/10/07

But what about this:
LINK

I think someone needs to tune their irony meter.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Sopranos trivia:

Quote:
🕉Stevie Van Zandt☮️ @StevieVanZandt

It wasn’t to settle a salary dispute. He had gotten a big raise and just divided it amongst the cast. He was one of a kind.

Quote:
Francesc Borrull @FBorrull

Hey @StevieVanZandt ! Is it true James Gandolfini gave each actor at The Sopranos $33,333 of his own money to settle a salary dispute the cast had with @HBO ? Thank you brother!
Birmingham
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Damn, I didn't know Ginny Sack died in 2010. Only 46.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denise_Borino-Quinn

Interesting to note that after the show finished, she lost 175 pounds via stomach stapling. Shame that she wasn’t willing to do that for John.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sopranos finale - 15th Anniv

Cutheon wrote:

My problem w/ that, Cuthy, is that Chase with his own socially awkward approach said for a long time that it was open ended w/ no definitive hint as to what happened to him. That's a little further than my own theory that he wasn't whacked simply because it would've been stupid given the mood, song-pairing, and family gathering at the end. The one where they brought the cheap heat (as they always did) by focusing on Meadow not being able to parallel park. That and the onion rings and the hopeful reminder by AJ to Dad that he always said, "Remember the good times (i.e. times like this)" and Ton' looking up w/ no one in the screen behind him or next to him. It reeked of the standard flaccid/impotent Chase build up of tension and then letting the balloon deflate across the ceiling w/ gimmickry. He did that countless times and I got folks tellin me now that he wasn't doing exactly that. The fact he didn't show (bleep) and it went to black was ultimate proof that it was one of his "conceptual ideas".

I can't buy it now, my main man. Now he's saying T was clearly whacked. If I were ever gonna believe that, then he woulda had to explain the damn thing right as it was fresh and people were debating it. But Chase just had to do Chase at that time and flubbed up his chance to portray it as the definitive whacking that was ANYTHING BUT definitive on screen.

I appreciate that a majority of fans think he was whacked, but I've never swayed since 2007. I've watched the series at least 7x in full and my memory of all of Chase's deflating ways of closing plotlines in the series is Rain Man level. That's in part why I think he's effin w/ us now, years later.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Strong, thx. That's how I did Mad Men, btw. Remem peepin on Netflix on my comp.

I was scrolling through my future set recordings and it turns out there's a Breaking Bad marathon on AMC starting this Friday, July 8th at 8 am through Monday, the entire series.

Enjoy!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

I was scrolling through my future set recordings and it turns out there's a Breaking Bad marathon on AMC starting this Friday, July 8th at 8 am through Monday, the entire series.

Enjoy!

Noyyce, thanks. I only need the first few epis to gain traction/desire/ganas to find a way forward. I swear I saw a piece of what must've been the debut or an early season ep years ago, but I pushed it away immediately cuz I knew it wasn't doable at the time. I wasn't afforded that kind of AC Green virginity w/ The Sops or Mad Men, but in both cases was still lucky enough to get in by the 3d/4th epi. Wire was a largely virginal one, basically knew Bodymore, Murdaland and MKW/Omar's comin! Completely boofed Boardwalk and watched it all outta order. Had to borrow S1 and 2 from my sis and watched them AFTER I broke mold and saw the entire Gyp season as it ran only to find out that Gyp was the best season by FAR (tho 1 and 2 were good). I'm still surprised at how little I still know about BB in 2022. I know it's drug/crime genre, Cranston. That's about it. I'm gonna make a note of that tho my DVR is so stocked I dunno what the hell I could even delete just for the first 3 epis.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul (co-star who plays Jesse) won multiple Emmys as did the show. It's worth the investment even if it takes you a couple of episodes to get drawn it. But I remember being drawn in immediately.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: