LONNIE WALKER IV signs with Nets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I saw his QO from the Spurs was $6.3 million. After initially issuing the QO, they retracted it, potentially at his request if he had designs on playing for the Klutch led Lakers.

The circumstance of how his QO played out gives me an impression that 6M is around his market value. The Lakers got it right financially.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/lonnie-walker-anfernee-simons-get-qos-kevin-knox-doesnt.html
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject:

the fact that Monk was our MLE play is even more concerning honestly.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the Lakers are counting on Darvin Ham being able to get value out of big athletic guards with nice wingspans for 3 and D potential. Better than undersized guards.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject:

I seriously don't even know who this is.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
So much negativity. 12 points per game on 23 minutes, 4 years NBA experience and ONLY 23 years old. Athletic, quick and only $6.5 million.

You guys need to relax. This is a good signing. Better than anyone other than Monk last year.

I appreciate your effort to be positive about this. I really do. But . . .

I get tired of people talking about players being young, athletic, quick, or whatever. If they aren't any good at playing basketball, who cares? They can go be young, athletic, and quick in a playground league. There are a lot of bad players who are young, athletic, and quick.

We're already paying $10M for one project player who can't shoot or play defense. Heck, why not make it two? This kid comes for the low, low price of only $6.5M. So what if it means that we can only sign guys for the vet min for the next year? We don't need players who can play. We're the Lakers!

Okay, I apologize. Rant over. Maybe the scouts see something in this kid. I hope so. We're going to be stuck with this guy for a year. I'm sure that within a week or two, some of the folks here will have convinced themselves that all of this garbage gives us the deepest bench in the league, or some rot like that.
Xfactor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I’d much rather have waited out and see if Otto Porter jr or even TJ Warren could be still be had for the TMLE. Why rush?

If we lose out, fine. Use part of the MLE to give Max Christie a 3-year deal (if I’m not mistaken, Vasashi suggested this as an option). Maybe Walker can still accept slightly less than $6.5 million. Worst case, you keep investing in THT/Reaves, and have Jent work with them and Troy Brown Jr.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Not super excited about this one.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Xfactor wrote:
I’d much rather have waited out and see if Otto Porter jr or even TJ Warren could be still be had for the TMLE. Why rush?

If we lose out, fine. Use part of the MLE to give Max Christie a 3-year deal (if I’m not mistaken, Vasashi suggested this as an option). Maybe Walker can still accept slightly less than $6.5 million. Worst case, you keep investing in THT/Reaves, and have Jent work with them and Troy Brown Jr.

Klutch tax I’m sure had something to do with it
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject:

I was upset at first but I can’t even be mad anymore after seeing the money thrown around today. 30 year old Delon Wright who averaged 4ppg got 16 million. Walker is likely the best they could do for 6.5 mill. Porter and Warren ain’t signing for that.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Why are some people bringing up Monk in this thread? Reports were the Lakers really wanted him back but he decided to take more money with the Kings.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject:

shoulda signed vander blue for the min instead
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Nekias Duncan piece on Walker from March:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/lonnie-walker-is-surging-compelling-offseason-gamble-san-antonio-spurs
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
I saw his QO from the Spurs was $6.3 million. After initially issuing the QO, they retracted it, potentially at his request if he had designs on playing for the Klutch led Lakers.

The circumstance of how his QO played out gives me an impression that 6M is around his market value. The Lakers got it right financially.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/lonnie-walker-anfernee-simons-get-qos-kevin-knox-doesnt.html

From the Spurs perspective, it does make sense to revoke his QO. It's not a knock on him or his market value.

Quote:

The Spurs once again have cap flexibility, but the amount will be determined by how the front office views Lonnie Walker IV, who is set to become a restricted free agent. Walker struggled prior to the All-Star break (11.2 points, 40% from the field and 29% on 3s) but improved in the second half, averaging 16.2 points, 45% shooting and 39% from 3.

Per ESPN Stats & Information, Walker ranked just 98th in effective field goal percentage among 108 players to record 50 games played and 10 field goal attempts per game. He has the second-highest usage rate on the team behind Dejounte Murray but has seen his role go from a starter to reserve.

After the trade to send Murray to Atlanta, San Antonio enters the offseason with $20 million in cap space, accounting for Walker's $13.4 million cap hold and the $11.2 million guaranteed salary of Gallinari. If the Spurs let Walker go, that cap space increases to $31 million.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/34156470/ultimate-2022-nba-free-agency-guide-needs-priorities-spending-options-all-30-teams
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Cranjis really dislikes this signing

https://twitter.com/tim_nba/status/1542670432255475712

Does anybody know Cranjis' track record? Seems like he gets a lot of respect. But people who are paid millions doing the job full time are wrong all the time, so Cranjis can be wrong too. Cuz a dude can improve.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Everyone had something to say about Wiggins going to Golden State too :3
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Nekias Duncan piece on Walker from March:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/lonnie-walker-is-surging-compelling-offseason-gamble-san-antonio-spurs

Good read. Thank you.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Not super excited about this one.

6M tpmle would not get you excited in the NBA nowadays.

Once upon a time, the full mle was 6M, and no tpmle. Good old days were gone.

At least Walker has some upside.

Can't say I am excited; tpmle and minimum exception could only do so much. Can't say I am unhappy either; we got some 3&D hopefuls and a backup center.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Cranjis really dislikes this signing

https://twitter.com/tim_nba/status/1542670432255475712

Does anybody know Cranjis' track record? Seems like he gets a lot of respect. But people who are paid millions doing the job full time are wrong all the time, so Cranjis can be wrong too. Cuz a dude can improve.

he put a chart and THT was on good defense side so wont take him serious
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
We're already paying $10M for one project player who can't shoot or play defense. Heck, why not make it two?

The notion that he can't shoot is based completely on him shooting 31.4% from three last season. But if you look a little closer you'll see that was largely due to him shooting terribly to start the season. He shot 25% in November and January. 35% in December and February, and 37% in March.

He shot 35.5% two years ago while taking 4.7 per game. He shot 40.6% on 1.7 per game the year before that. And 38.5% as a rookie, albeit in limited minutes and only 0.8 attempts per game over 17 games.

He's not a sharpshooter, but he isn't a terrible shooter either.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Are we using the logic that because we've hired historically good 40% shooters from three who then proceed to shoot like garbage... that this year we are going to sign historically poor 3 point shooters in hopes that the opposite occurs?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Look around at what mediocre players are being paid this off season. This is far from an awful signing like many are making it out to be imo.. At least we actually got someone young, athletic and still has upside. The notion he can't shoot at all is dramatically overblown as J.C. pointed out above me. Many here wanted to even pass on Monk for TPMLE and he got nearly 50% more then that along with multiple years.

I'll admit I don't know a ton about Walker either but I do appreciate the FO clearly going after much younger players this year even with the extremely limited resources they have to do it.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Are we using the logic that because we've hired historically good 40% shooters from three who then proceed to shoot like garbage... that this year we are going to sign historically poor 3 point shooters in hopes that the opposite occurs?

Ok I’m reaching a bit here, but Walker strikes me as a confident player and kid. So maybe he will be cut out for PnG.

I know he’s Klutch so there is always that skepticism, but I really thought he was going to get more especially with all the crazy money being thrown around.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I haven't looked at his stats but I was watching Spectrum and they said he shot 37% from three and his first three years. He dipped last year to 31%.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Ok I’m reaching a bit here, but Walker strikes me as a confident player and kid. So maybe he will be cut out for PnG.

I know he’s Klutch so there is always that skepticism, but I really thought he was going to get more especially with all the crazy money being thrown around.

Like every season I will be rooting for him at the start and won't complain unless he implodes... but losing Monk hurts so all I can do is hope Kyrie is still coming. It's just tough because of the Klutch connection to be optimistic this was a pure talent decision.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Ridiculous to complain about this signing or any signings today. Lakers had nothing to work with. TPMLE and vet mins. Lot of guys were priced out of our range. LW4 is only 23 and has time to grow. They got young, hungry and athletic guys and a center who will be be our best center since the 2019-20 season. Lakers last year went with the fancy 3 point shooting corpses and veteran savvy name guys who all could not move and got run out of the gym every night.

Ham is being lauded as a buy in-play hard and developmental coach. I’d surmise the Lakers are going to play much harder next year and their games will be more competitive as opposed to last year when most of their games were unwatchable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 3 of 41
Jump to: