THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3332, 3333, 3334 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Joy-Ann (Pro-Democracy) Reid 😷 @JoyAnnReid

Shorter SCOTUS majority:
-Women: state property
-Climate: can’t regulate polluters
-Pandemics: can’t mandate safety
-Native tribes: no sovereignty
-Miranda: you’re out of luck
-AA voters: taxation w/o representation
-Right wing Christianity: supreme above the constitution and law

Quote:
David Lazarus @Davidlaz

I'm sorry, I don't want people awaiting the Rapture to decide the fate of the planet

No, really, they think they'll magically float to heaven before the planet becomes uninhabitable

Quote:
Ian Millhiser @imillhiser

The Supreme Court fundamentally rewrote America's separation of powers in its big EPA decision, effectively placing the judiciary at the head of much of the Executive Branch of government.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

Republicans, tell me again about activist judges legislating from the bench.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject:

State Republicans and right-wingers on SCOTUS are now trying to set in a motion a "legal" coup for 2024. State Republicans want to change State Constitution to ignore the vote count and replace it with their decision instead. They are sending to SCOTUS now so next year SCOTUS can rule they have the right to do it. They wouldn't announce they were "taking the case" now unless this was their plan. So places like Florida, Georgia and Arizona could vote for the Democratic candidate in 2024 and the state legislature would override and give the state to the Republican candidate. THAT'S NOT HOW DEMOCRACY IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. At some point if Democrats are ever in a position with enough votes they should try to abolish the electoral college in favor of the popular vote.

Electing Democratic Governors in Florida and Texas *might* be a safeguard with the governor possibly having some veto power.

Quote:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez @AOC

We are witnessing a judicial coup in process.

If the President and Congress do not restrain the Court now, the Court is signaling they will come for the Presidential election next.

All our leaders - regardless of party - must recognize this Constitutional crisis for what it is.

Quote:
Brennan Center @BrennanCenter

BREAKING: The Supreme Court agreed to hear Moore v Harper, an appeal advocating for extreme interpretation of the Constitution that could make it easier for state legislatures to suppress the vote, draw unfair election districts, enable partisan interference in ballot counting

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject:

This is where I wish we had more GOP- style gumption. If the court is going to make a power grab, start issuing Executive orders to counteract and force litigation (even if you eventually lose). Drag it out, play for time, flood the zone. Trump issued illegal immigration orders time and again and forced them through the court system, appealing and appealing.

When the other side refuses to play by the rules and are willing to use any means necessary to DESTROY THE LAST 100 YEARS OF LIBERAL DEMOCRACY and burn it all to the ground, then the counter has to be more than, "Shrug, we don't have the votes. Try again in November."

We never send all our people on TV at the same time saying the same thing. We should be on every tv outlet screaming at top of our lungs about how outrageous the Court is and how Fascist the GOP is. Pick a phrase and have everyone repeat it over and over.

The point is not that any one thing will change any policy today -- but it will whip up OUR VOTERS because they will feel like their leaders are fighting for them. And they'll be more likely to join the fight.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Florida judge blocks Florida’s 15 week abortion ban

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida-judge-blocks-15-week-abortion-ban/

Of course DeSuckis is mad and will appeal and it will make its way to the Florida Supreme Court. Interestingly enough the Florida constitution specifically provides citizens with a right to privacy. The Florida Supreme Court has also previously ruled that this right to privacy specifically applies to abortion.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but likely this probably goes to the Florida Supreme Court who will reverse their own precedent in this because they are hacks picked by Scott and DeSuckis, paving the way for a complete ban instead of just a 15 week ban.

Last edited by trmiv on Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
This is where I wish we had more GOP- style gumption. If the court is going to make a power grab, start issuing Executive orders to counteract and force litigation (even if you eventually lose). Drag it out, play for time, flood the zone. Trump issued illegal immigration orders time and again and forced them through the court system, appealing and appealing.

When the other side refuses to play by the rules and are willing to use any means necessary to DESTROY THE LAST 100 YEARS OF LIBERAL DEMOCRACY and burn it all to the ground, then the counter has to be more than, "Shrug, we don't have the votes. Try again in November."

We never send all our people on TV at the same time saying the same thing. We should be on every tv outlet screaming at top of our lungs about how outrageous the Court is and how Fascist the GOP is. Pick a phrase and have everyone repeat it over and over.

The point is not that any one thing will change any policy today -- but it will whip up OUR VOTERS because they will feel like their leaders are fighting for them. And they'll be more likely to join the fight.

I've been thinking about this often lately. At what point does the executive basically say, "good luck enforcing your decision"? This hyper-partisan Supreme Court is making an insane power grab. Winning 2 senate seats is paramount, and if we go by the historical number of justices tied to the number of circuit courts, there should be at least 13 justices right now.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject:

The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder

(How To DESTROY Republican Anti-Abortion Talking Points)

Quote:
The MR crew give examples of counterarguments to ridiculous anti-abortion and anti-choice talking points. The Majority Report crew discuss how Republicans and the Right do not care about children born into poverty and how they were against the Child Poverty Tax. The MR crew also talk about how Democrats do not have any plans to fight Roe v Wade being overturned and help women who have lost the right to choose by setting up clinics on federal land.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Fmr. Pence Advisor On GOP’s Smear Campaign Of Cassidy Hutchinson | The Katie Phang Show)

Quote:
Following her bombshell testimony in front of the January 6th Committee, Cassidy Hutchinson’s credibility is being attacked by the GOP. Former White House Homeland Security advisor to Mike Pence Olivia Troye joins Katie Phang to bring her unique perspective to analyze the issue.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject:

David Pakman Show

(Trump TURNS on Fox AND Newsmax in Bonkers Interview)

Quote:
--Donald Trump appears to turn on both Fox News and Newsmax during an unhinged Newsmax interview
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

David Pakman Show

(Ginni Thomas is Too "Stressed" to Testify)

Quote:
--The lawyer for Ginni Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas, says she is to stressed out to testify before the January 6 Committee
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject:

CNN

(Ex-Trump attorney says Trump is taking tips from McCarthy-era playbook)

Quote:
Ex-Trump attorney Michael Cohen joins CNN's Alisyn Camerota to discuss former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson's shocking testimony before the House select committee investigating the January 6 riot, and what her testimony revealed about how former President Donald Trump tries to avoid accountability.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

<snippity snip snip>

Liberals have been waiting for this "female wave" since I started voting (1981) . . . but outside of the coastal cities, it rarely materializes.

You realize other women than white women vote, right?

And the 2018 midterm blue wave was due in part to suburban women voting Democratic. I'm not saying it will be easy, because we'll need a wave of Democratic base voters to turn out.

I'm not worried about motivating white right-wing "Christian" women. We already know where they stand.

I'm talking about the Democratic base, new young voters and Independents.

I was talking about women mobilizing the whole year leading up to the 2018 mid-terms and no one believe me.

I'm telling you I feel that same energy again. I may be wrong but I'm sure as hell not going to throw in the towel and concede the mid-terms the Republicans without a fight.

When Democrats lose mid-term elections it's because THEIR OWN VOTERS don't bother to turn out, whereas Republicans always turn out.

So that's who I'm talking about getting angry and staying angry. There are more of us when we actually show up.

Of course I realize more than just white women vote. The Dems routinely get 90+% of black women, 65+% of Latinx women and 55+% of AAPI women. It's that number that makes up the 6 million vote difference among white women.

However, if you look at WHERE the votes come from and - for the purposes of House & Senate races - the numbers are staggering. In states like Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, Nevada, Arizona and 25-30 others, it's damned near impossible for a Democrat to win outside of the state's largest cities.

Some of that is the Sinclair media machine, some of it is that the Democratic Party conceded those areas and stopped putting resources in and much of it is just . . . the racist/resentment attitude of the residents. If ANY states should be pro-union, pro-living wage, pro-affordable health care, anti-oligarch, anti-poverty, it should be the West Virginias, Kentuckys and Mississippis of the country, but they're among the fiercest opposers.

The white women there don't/won't do squat to upset the apple cart and there just aren't enough voting non-white women to make a difference.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject:

CNN

(Biden to progressives: “I’m the only president they got”)

Quote:
President Biden addressed progressive members of his own party during a press conference at the NATO Conference in Madrid. CNN senior political commentator David Axelrod joined CNN’s Jake Tapper to discuss the president’s comments and why some Democrats think Biden isn’t doing enough.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject:

CNN

(Trump verbally attacks Hutchinson over January 6 testimony)

Quote:
Former Trump White House Communications Director Alyssa Farah Griffin weighs in on the former president verbally attacking Cassidy Hutchinson on Newsmax following her testimony before the January 6 committee.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject:

CNN

(QAnon returns and targets Cassidy Hutchinson in new post)

Quote:
In a new post, online conspiracy theorist QAnon targets former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson. CNN's Donie O'Sullivan explains what it means now that the account is back active.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject:

There are enough Republican voters who would not want State Legislatures to remove their right to vote?
Enough Soldiers or Veterans

All votes should be equals..

They never stop attacking form every single angle possible over and over until they get what they want no matter how sleazy they look getting it

There has to be enough sane citizens to rip the spines right out of any human who tries to assert Trigger Laws over any human?... This is worse than ALL Those scary Muslim countries we bombed over Their scary religion..

Once you get humans to violently threaten their fellow citizens
To Bow to The Fascists demands
We're done...

The US Fascist Regime (Republicans) would immediately
remove themselves from NATO
remove themselves from Ukraine
Align with President Putin
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I can probably remember more .. I wonder if any of the US Fascists who went to Moscow for 4th of July are also Federalist Members?

We will destroy you from within.
Still not shutdown eh
Quote:
“Coincidence Number 395”: The N.R.A. Spent $30 Million to Elect Trump. Was It Russian Money?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/06/the-nra-spent-dollar30-million-to-elect-trump-was-it-russian-money

----- Lev Parnas--how much and where did it go
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/lev-parnas-sentenced-20-months-prison-campaign-finance-wire-fraud-and-false-statements
Quote:
Parnas also defrauded the American public by pumping Russian money into U.S. elections and lying about the source of funds for political contributions.

-----2016 RNC Hack
Quote:
FBI Director James Comey tells Congress the same hackers who breached the DNC also penetrated the RNC's older email domains and state-level GOP targets.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/russia-hacked-older-republican-emails-fbi-director-says/
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject:

CNN

(From groomer panic to a bill dubbed “Don’t Say Gay” by critics, today’s politics echo the ‘70s)

Quote:
What critics have dubbed the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, signed by Florida governor Ron DeSantis, is reminiscent of the opposition to LGBTQ rights seen in the 1970s. Reality Check’s John Avlon speaks with activist and Oscar-winning screenwriter of Milk, Dustin Lance Black, about how the law could hurt some of the kids it says it wants to help.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Supreme Court On Ideological Spree To Take Up State Republican Power Grab Scheme)

Quote:
Dahlia Lithwick, senior editor and legal correspondent for Slate, talks about the new Trump Supreme Court running through its ideological checklist as it issues rulings, taking up a case for next term in which Republicans hope to be given the right to disregard state courts as they use their control of state legislatures to further cement their grip on power.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject:

I do not align with Cheney. I do find her commitment to Jan6 to be noble. The fact that she is in a battle with these people is unreal
https://twitter.com/accountablegop/status/1542866096537145345?s=21
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject:

Right now, Liz Cheney is a useful Republican . . . in fighting against The Big Lie and other related matters.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I do not align with Cheney. I do find her commitment to Jan6 to be noble. The fact that she is in a battle with these people is unreal
https://twitter.com/accountablegop/status/1542866096537145345?s=21

I admire that she has principles she’s willing to stand for. I don’t admire a lot of her principles of belief, and I also know that she, like many never Trumpers, is also self interested because she knows what happens if the animals run the zoo.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject:

The campaign to discredit Cassidy Hutchinson has begun

LINK

exerpt
Quote:
In the hours after Cassidy Hutchinson delivered bombshell testimony to the Jan. 6 committee Tuesday, former President Trump and his allies rushed to attack the former White House staffer.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The campaign to discredit Cassidy Hutchinson has begun

LINK

exerpt
Quote:
In the hours after Cassidy Hutchinson delivered bombshell testimony to the Jan. 6 committee Tuesday, former President Trump and his allies rushed to attack the former White House staffer.

Update to story:

CNN: Accounts of Trump angrily demanding to go to Capitol on January 6 circulated in Secret Service over past year

Quote:
By Noah Gray and Zachary Cohen, CNN
Updated 2:29 PM ET, Fri July 1, 2022

Then-President Donald Trump angrily demanded to go to the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, and berated his protective detail when he didn't get his way, according to two Secret Service sources who say they heard about the incident from multiple agents, including the driver of the presidential SUV where it occurred.

The sources tell CNN that stories circulated about the incident -- including details that are similar to how former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson described it to the House select committee investigating January 6 -- in the months immediately afterward the US Capitol attack and before she testified this week.

While the details from those who heard the accounts differ, the Secret Service sources say they were told an angry confrontation did occur. And their accounts align with significant parts of Hutchinson's testimony, which has been attacked as hearsay by Trump and his allies who also have tried to discredit her overall testimony.

Like Hutchinson, one source, a longtime Secret Service employee, told CNN that the agents relaying the story described Trump as "demanding" and that [b]the former President said something similar to: "I'm the f**king President of the United States, you can't tell me what to do." The source said he originally heard that kind of language was used shortly after the incident.

"He had sort of lunged forward -- it was unclear from the conversations I had that he actually made physical contact, but he might have. I don't know," the source said. "Nobody said Trump assaulted him; they said he tried to lunge over the seat -- for what reason, nobody had any idea."[/b]
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely Hilarious and Frightening at the same time
Chills and Giggles lol

so funny to see he didn't own the SS like he thought he did...
one thing to smile about...

Maybe one of the Religious Democrats can taunt these ugly Republicans

Jesus would never accept a Republican into Heaven.. they steal and lie more than anyone in history
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3332, 3333, 3334 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 3333 of 3663
Jump to: