LAKERS -vs- MAVS - 7-16-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- MAVS - 7-16-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Summer League Team - Game 8... The Lakers rolled out of the gates on a 12-1 run as the defense was locking down and the team was clicking offensively. By halftime, they built a 58-38 lead on 58 percent shooting.

Dallas pushed back in the third as the Lakers passing got sloppy. Now Dallas pulled off the 11-2 run to start the half. By midway through the fourth the once 20+ point lead was down to 5 points.

The team responded with Huff and Swider -- the Lakers two standouts -- getting back into the mix and they helped shut down the run to take the 95-84 win.

Christie -- -- Didn’t really like this game on either end of the court. He was getting to some rebounds. He did have what looked like was a great block in the paint on a challenge as his man tried to pull up because he couldn’t get past him. But he got whistled for a foul there (didn’t see a replay, but looked like a weak call and a great play on D). He made one shot in this game. One of his better floaters of the summer league. He attacked left and hit that with his left from a few feet away. Getting as deep into the paint as he did on that is something we haven’t seen as much of with his other floaters. Other than those plays above, not much to this game. I didn’t like his chasing defense. He didn’t stay as tight on Hardy around screens as you’d like to see (soft/late challenge on one, got beat allowing Hardy to turn the corner on him too easily on another). The three ball is an adventure (he completely bricked a sideline three, wasn’t close). He’s a project. I think Ham said it right as the summer league began that Christie would be a couple years away. That tweaks some people that the team is thinking long-term. Look, you’ve got your polished/seasoned rookies that could contribute now in Swider and Pippen out of this draft. It’s smart to also have a project that can help make up for not having some first-rounders in the future. Hopefully, Christie is a gym rat and hard worker. That will make all the difference. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-6 shooting (0-3 from three) to go with 6 boards, 1 steal and 1 foul in 20 minutes. He was a -1.

Pippen Jr. -- -- Decent game. In the stats, you see the 3 assists with 3 turnovers. There were a number of passes that he missed even making that he should have. But he has shown some good vision, at times. So I’m wondering if it’s just a matter of more and more reps running an NBA offense and understanding where the passes will be. The difference between him running the offense and any of our other guys is a pretty big contrast. You trust him more running things. Where I don’t typically trust him is on some of those end of clock scenarios. If he can get into his midrange on those, he’s very strong (looked automatic on a couple of those tonight). No freethrows in this game. He was crafty at drawing those early in the summer league, but it faded a bit as I think he tried to be less of a scorer. Overall, he’s got a lot of polish on little things that will help him on the next level. Defensively, despite the size issues, his hands are fast (he had one play where he swiped once on the drive, twice and stripped the ball off his man). What he needs is a lot of reps running the offense. The only place he can get that is in the G-League, so that’s where he needs to be if we want to see him develop faster. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 5-11 shooting (1-3 from three) to go with 5 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 19 minutes. He was a +3.

Swider -- -- He knocked down 53% of his threes on 6.6 attempts per game in his summer league. I mean…wow. I expected him to be the team’s best shooter (our NBA team), but that is some ridiculousness, right there. I’m pretty sure I don’t need to research it to say that was the best summer league three shooting display the Lakers have ever had. Again, he drilled a three in an opponent’s face. He had another transition three, he sank after a man flew by. He sank a corner three that he got up fast. That thing hit his hands and was off in a barely the same motion. A couple of makes in this one not from three. Both were on off-ball cuts. The first he backdoored the overplay and dunked off a bounce pass from a Shareef. The other he curled around Huff, who then found him over the tough cutting for an And-1. I like seeing the off-ball counters to guys chasing or overplaying him. He’ll get better at that in time, but with a passer like LeBron on the team, the ball will find him. Defensively, again not tested a lot. Some things we’ve seen with a little consistency. Anyone going at him in transition can get by him pretty easily for scores when they get downhill on him. Also, he did once again leave the corner man strong side to help on a drive and got burned for a three. I thought he rebounded better than the stats showed. He did regain the team a possession on the offensive glass on a missed FT getting fouled on a board, which wasn’t included in the stats. But he still rebounds like an SF and not a PF. The Stats: He scored 16 points on 6-9 shooting (4-6 from three, 0-1 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a +6.

Pierre-Louis -- -- Strong outing from him. Again, lots of pressure on the ball. He also had a great shotblock/swipe in the paint. He sank a turnaround fade in the middle of the lane. He scored an And-1 layup on the break. He stripped a man from behind in the backcourt and dunked. The strike from three looks like a shotput. But you see guys like David Nwaba finding roles on teams. Nate might be able to carve himself out a similar role. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-6 shooting (0-1 from three, 0-3 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 14 minutes. He was a -1.

O’Neal -- -- He got the start, but we went away from that fairly quickly and leaned on Huff for some bigger minutes. He airballed a pull-up jumper calling his own number. He had a sloppy close out to foul a shooter. He cleaned up a Pippen miss at the rim with a putback. Our play busted out of an ATO and he attacked and hit a fade across the lane. Some good effort out there, including an offensive board and attack to score a layup. He needs to work on some of his fouls and his strength. The motor is pretty good at times. G-League bound to work on his game. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-5 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 3 boards (2 offensive), 1 assist and 1 foul in 9 minutes. He was a -4.

Huff -- -- If they had him this entire summer league, I think they are likely playing in the championship game. He’s a difference maker at this level. Next level, he won’t be able to get away with the deep drop coverage he plays at times. He did come out and trap a ballhandler on one play in the second half that forced a bad pass. That was a nice change of pace and it was effective. Offensively, he seems to show something different every game. How about the Euro step on the break to go around a defender and score? Or the attack off the three line where he up-faked, changed directions on the dribble and then banked in a one-hander? Some really nice mobility that can compliment that three ball enough that bigs have to be careful closing out to him at the three line. He also had a fake handoff, he attacked on for a score. He one-handed in a poor lob pass. Again, he showed some passing chops hitting Swider over the top of the D on a cut for an And-1. If the Lakers aren’t signing him to something, I’d be surprised if a team doesn’t pick him up. Maybe the Covid took him off some people’s radar, but he balled in every game he did play. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-7 shooting (0-1 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal, 3 blocks and 3 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a +11.

Jones -- -- One of our more consistent players during the summer. It wasn’t always clean. Some passes that were off (he airmaled a pass into the crowd and missed Huff on a lob by a mile). He had some forces, but he’s always a threat to score. He might have tried a little too hard to stand out in that regard. The Lakers and the league know what he has to offer. Cleaning up that wildness is a must. Defensively, he was able to get some stops drawing offensive fouls fighting through screens or getting bonked in the face on the perimeter, pressuring his man. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-8 shooting (0-2 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 4 assists, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 20 minutes. He was a +7.

McCoy -- -- Really forced things in the second half, and that might have taken a little luster off this one. IT was a stretch of several misses and some forces. Early on, though, he had one drive where he changed directions twice down the lane to force a foul. He got deep in the paint, spun, took contact and still hit another short one. He probed off a hesi and found a teammate for FTs. He sank a midrange jumper from the wing. He attacked off a corner three for a layup. He got cut off on a baseline drive, stopped and hit the turnaround (really nice reaction on that). He was a consistent scorer and ballhandler for the team all summer. I’m sure we’ll see plenty of him in the future. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 5-11 shooting (0-2 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 26 minutes. He was a +14.

White -- -- I think of guys like PJ Tucker as a prototype for how White or Brown need to play. There’s just an entirely different level of intensity to Tucker’s game that White and Brown need. He had a putback finish in traffic. He cut baseline and Jones found him for his other score. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-2 shooting to go with 6 boards and 4 fouls in 11 minutes. He was a +13.

Bass -- -- I’m thankful I don’t have to watch him in summer league anymore. The ballhoggery drove me a little nuts. He’s got scoring skills and could find time with a team, but it drove me nuts at times. This game as well (iso pull-up for an airball). He did score on the break, scooping up a loose ball and taking it the distance (but you knew he wasn’t giving it up to a teammate filling another lane. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-4 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 2 boards in 8 minutes. He was a +1.

Brown -- -- A bit foul-prone. He gave up an And-1 just not being big enough to challenge well. He was reviewed for a hostile act after taking some slaps on the perimeter and trying to use his off arm to battle back, flagrant-1 with a little contact to the face. Offensively, drained a three, scored on a jumphook, attacked into a spin and scored a short one. Overall, I just don’t see a spot for him on our roster. Not sure he showed enough for other teams, but maybe overseas. The shot looked smooth. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-6 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 1 rebound, 1 turnover and 5 fouls in 12 minutes. He was a +1.

Cole -- -- Quieter game from him. He missed a couple of threes. He scored on a strong attack left to finish over a defender. He had a layup off one of the better ball movement sequences by the squad all summer. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-6 shooting (2-2 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist and 2 fouls in 17 minutes. He was a +5.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject:

First.

Thanks, DB!
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

They better f’n sign Swider to main roster
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject:

Thanks so much DB. Some points I'd like to make.

Huff- sign him so as not to have him poached like MMcClung. Huff would be a very cheap, 3rd string big body, and who has displayed a decent 3pt shot. By the way, we wouldn't need such depth if someone hadn't stupidly traded Zubac to the other LA team.

Swider-belongs here right now if only because of his shooting... but in spot duty to gauge his defensive effectiveness.

Christie- I appreciate your view on DB on this kid. There was a consensus that Christie was not only the choice of the entire team, but there was also a consensus that he would have likely been a first round pick in next year's draft.

The maturation process he requires takes time. Time playing in the G-league, maybe a bit of spot duty in a few preseason and regular season games, along with developing his body and becoming accustomed to the NBA grind.

The kid's 19, contrast that w/Austin Reaves who was 23 when he came into the league last year and we see the time it will take.

Which brings me to my last point. Since we have such a fantastic draft evaluation team, and have done so well with late round and even 2nd round picks, why don't we just strategize our draft around putting a huge pot of money aside to buy 2nd round picks?

It would free us from stopping ourselves right now if all it would require to obtain KI is 2 first round picks. Give em' the two picks (IF that's all the draft capital we'd have to give up for the entire deal) and just prioritize getting more 2nd round picks.

This only applys while we'd have a chance to compete w/ a threesome of KI, LBJ, & AD.

My greatest fear is, without an extension, we trade for KI and he turns around, in some unforeseen scenario, leaves.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

Huff- sign him so as not to have him poached like MMcClung. Huff would be a very cheap, 3rd string big body, and who has displayed a decent 3pt shot. By the way, we wouldn't need such depth if someone hadn't stupidly traded Zubac to the other LA team.

Swider-belongs here right now if only because of his shooting... but in spot duty to gauge his defensive effectiveness.

Christie- I appreciate your view on DB on this kid. There was a consensus that Christie was not only the choice of the entire team, but there was also a consensus that he would have likely been a first round pick in next year's draft.

The maturation process he requires takes time. Time playing in the G-league, maybe a bit of spot duty in a few preseason and regular season games, along with developing his body and becoming accustomed to the NBA grind.

The kid's 19, contrast that w/Austin Reaves who was 23 when he came into the league last year and we see the time it will take.

Which brings me to my last point. Since we have such a fantastic draft evaluation team, and have done so well with late round and even 2nd round picks, why don't we just strategize our draft around putting a huge pot of money aside to buy 2nd round picks?

It would free us from stopping ourselves right now if all it would require to obtain KI is 2 first round picks. Give em' the two picks (IF that's all the draft capital we'd have to give up for the entire deal) and just prioritize getting more 2nd round picks.

This only applys while we'd have a chance to compete w/ a threesome of KI, LBJ, & AD.

My greatest fear is, without an extension, we trade for KI and he turns around, in some unforeseen scenario, leaves.

IMO the Fo / ownership is refusing to give up first round picks without Kyrie signing an extension. Even if it is for 2-3 years. Without an extension, I do not believe the Lakers should give up FRP's. Just my opinion.

Agree on Huff, Swider and Christie.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Swider deserves a contract based on his shooting alone
rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. It's been a treat to read your write-ups in July. This team has been fun to follow.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

IMO the Fo / ownership is refusing to give up first round picks without Kyrie signing an extension. Even if it is for 2-3 years. Without an extension, I do not believe the Lakers should give up FRP's. Just my opinion.

Agree on Huff, Swider and Christie.

Agree.
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

Read along nodding, then remembered summer league legend Matt Thomas. He might have shot better than Swider that 1 magical summer. I dont remember him missing at all.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject:

DD20045 wrote:
Read along nodding, then remembered summer league legend Matt Thomas. He might have shot better than Swider that 1 magical summer. I dont remember him missing at all.

Thomas had a better percentage but much smaller sample size (only 24 3 point attempts).

https://www.news8000.com/thomas-scores-23-as-lakers-win-vegas-summer-league-title/
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
DD20045 wrote:

Thomas had a better percentage but much smaller sample size (only 24 3 point attempts).

https://www.news8000.com/thomas-scores-23-as-lakers-win-vegas-summer-league-title/

Yeah, he lit it up.

Swider, though, nearly 30 more threes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: