The Story of Former Laker Serving 23-Year Prison Sentence

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject: The Story of Former Laker Serving 23-Year Prison Sentence

Quote:
Back in August of 2011, a few months after his last basketball appearance in the D-Leauge, Javaris would get charged for the murder of a 22-year mother of four named Jullian Jones. Allegedly Crittenton was trying to shoot a guy robbing him and hit the innocent woman in her leg, causing her to die later in surgery.

Javaris would get released on a bond, but his connections with gangs, drug trafficking, and more murders in the following years would bring him back into trouble with the law. It would all end up in Crittenton admitting to voluntary manslaughter with a weapon and aggravated assault with a firearm, getting sentenced to 23 years in old, with a release date in 2036.

It was a sad outcome of events for a young man with all the talent in the world to become a reliable NBA player and successful person. But his connections outside of basketball, gang involvement, and bad influence really took him down a destructive path, for which he is paying a huge price.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/the-story-of-the-former-nba-player-that-is-serving-a-23-year-sentence-because-of-manslaughter/ar-AAZRrrI?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=e378f6ab225d4f4f968240403a922191
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject:

I was in NYC for that NBA draft when the Lakers selected him. I was excited to get a 6'5 PG and things looked promising. He was apparently raised in a comfortable middle class, and he was an honors student (3.5 GPA) and a choir boy in a Christian high school.

How he went from that to being drafted into the NBA, and then joining the Crips AFTER getting his NBA contract. Just a tragedy.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject:

Feel bad for the kid. He was really talented for sure. But unfortunately made bad choices.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Nearly halfway there, so some light in the tunnel. I would never let him out, other being confined to an area far away to do hard labor.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
Feel bad for the kid. He was really talented for sure. But unfortunately made bad choices.

You feel "bad" for him? Really? Why? He had the same opporuntity as his high school team mate Dwight Howard to stay focused and have the priviledge to play in the NBA. He didn't even have to scratch & claw to get into the league because he was already a first round pick...of the Lakers, no less!

The only feeling of bad or sympathy for me is for to the family of the young lady he killed.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I was in NYC for that NBA draft when the Lakers selected him. I was excited to get a 6'5 PG and things looked promising. He was apparently raised in a comfortable middle class, and he was an honors student (3.5 GPA) and a choir boy in a Christian high school.

How he went from that to being drafted into the NBA, and then joining the Crips AFTER getting his NBA contract. Just a tragedy.

When you're young, it's a lot easier to make bad choices than good ones. I know this as well as anyone. Just the way our brains are wired at that age. Even though he's from a good upbringing, wisening up takes experience and time. In his situation, "hood culture" follows you until you let go of it.

Although he has long passed away, I also think of Len Bias and the unfortunate decision to do cocaine. I'd say peer pressure played a huge role in that. MJ's father is probably one of the reasons he never involved himself in that, even though he had countless opportunities to do so.

It's why mentors/father figures are so important. Sometimes discipline and constant monitoring is key. It's so easy to get off track before it's too late.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I will never forget reading this post: Early in the 07-08 season, someone claimed that the best comparison for him was a more explosive Chris Paul.

I remember seeing Jason Kidd comparisons as well.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

When you're young, it's a lot easier to make bad choices than good ones. I know this as well as anyone. Just the way our brains are wired at that age. Even though he's from a good upbringing, wisening up takes experience and time. In his situation, "hood culture" follows you until you let go of it.

He didn’t just make “bad choices.” He killed someone. He’s a cold-blooded murderer. I can't excuse that because of youth. He deserves to spent 20-plus years behind bars. If anything, he got off easy given his crime. My sympathy lies with his victim, not with him.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

He didn’t just make “bad choices.” He killed someone. He’s a cold-blooded murderer. I can't excuse that because of youth. He deserves to spent 20-plus years behind bars. If anything, he got off easy given his crime. My sympathy lies with his victim, not with him.

Fair enough. However, it's worth mentioning he was targeting someone who robbed him, and his victim unfortunately got caught in the crossfire. That doesn't make it any better, but he was out for revenge and wasn't thinking clearly. Obviously if someone talked him out of it or if he had better peers, it wouldn't have happened. That was really my point.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Fair enough. However, it's worth mentioning he was targeting someone who robbed him, and his victim unfortunately got caught in the crossfire. That doesn't make it any better, but he was out for revenge and wasn't thinking clearly. Obviously if someone talked him out of it or if he had better peers, it wouldn't have happened. That was really my point.

I see no excuse or justification for his actions.

After he was in the NBA, he joined the Crips. He pulled a gun on Gilbert Arenas. He committed murder. While he was out on bond for the murder charges, he was arrested for trafficking cocaine.

He's just a bad dude. I for one am glad he'll be locked away from society for a long time.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

So killing the guy who robbed him is ok?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

So killing the guy who robbed him is ok?

Nope. Not excusing his behavior. Just saying he wasn't indiscriminately targeting people on the street. The dude had it in his head that he was going to kill/wound the guy who allegedly robbed him. That's some cartel/gang (bleep) he wouldn't have been a part of with better mentors/figures around him. I have sympathy for the person who died.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Random thought… the NBA talent pool today is deeper than it has ever been. Back in the day (and especially before him), a 6’5’ PG with his skill set was a somewhat of a unique and intriguing prospect. Nowadays, you have guards in his mold who may or may not even get drafted.

Within the past 20 years, one of the biggest things that we have seen is the amount of players who have guard skills. It used to be if you had size and guard skills, you were something special. Now… dime a dozen. You could find some of them as undrafted free agents.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
Random thought… the NBA talent pool today is deeper than it has ever been. Back in the day (and especially before him), a 6’5’ PG with his skill set was a somewhat of a unique and intriguing prospect. Nowadays, you have guards in his mold who may or may not even get drafted.

Within the past 20 years, one of the biggest things that we have seen is the amount of players who have guard skills. It used to be if you had size and guard skills, you were something special. Now… dime a dozen. You could find some of them as undrafted free agents.

I feel like even players who can play PF/C but can also pass are also becoming more common.

Ben Simmons, Draymond Green, Jokic, etc.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject:

He played so well in the summer league. It didn't translate in the NBA though, even before his legal issues. But he helped them land Gasol.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Terribly written article though. Jeez.
Grammar and spelling errors galore.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject:

We can all agree that J-Critt effed up. He's a grown man with no one to blame but himself.

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

FACTS:
* hood culture" follows you until you let go of it.

* mentors/father figures are so important. Sometimes discipline and constant monitoring is key.

* Unfortunately, sometimes, even that does not work.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject:

Sad story

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject:

As i remmeber he played at triangle offense at high school. That experience and being a big pg he was perfect for Phil.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject:

Sad on so many levels:

1) the loss of life of the innocent bystander.

2) kids having to grow up without their mom.

3) JCritt falling in love with street life AFTER getting to the L.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Where I come from they call that being young, dumb, and stupid.

Actually, I know multiple people who left young associates in time to escape being killed in drug deals, being strung out, or going to prison. Apparently, Javaris was influenced by peers he didn’t see the need to let go of before he was able to rise above their influences.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
He played so well in the summer league. It didn't translate in the NBA though, even before his legal issues. But he helped them land Gasol.
He had one fancy play when he was pushing the ball up court that was so impressive, Kenny Smith said “that young man deserves more playing time.” He was running and avoided 1 defender by wrapping the ball around his back, and when another one immediately jumped in his way, he did it again. It seemed to me that Smith’s endorsement of that special play made people notice, and soon afterwards, he was a key piece in acquiring Pau.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
He had one fancy play when he was pushing the ball up court that was so impressive, Kenny Smith said “that young man deserves more playing time.” He was running and avoided 1 defender by wrapping the ball around his back, and when another one immediately jumped in his way, he did it again. It seemed to me that Smith’s endorsement of that special play made people notice, and soon afterwards, he was a key piece in acquiring Pau.

You have a great, detailed recollection of that play. I remember well because I was watching the game when he did that double around the back moves. What was so exciting was the excellent control he had on the ball because he had large hands.

A true waste of an opportunity very, very few, relatively speaking, ever get the chance to experience.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
You have a great, detailed recollection of that play. I remember well because I was watching the game when he did that double around the back moves. What was so exciting was the excellent control he had on the ball because he had large hands.

A true waste of an opportunity very, very few, relatively speaking, ever get the chance to experience.
This is sadly a very common tale of a person given so much skills that few others have, tragically and carelessly threw it all away - for whatever reasons.

Many others have faced similar struggles and achieved great success

Hopefully that will be the everlasting lesson
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: