Dame Olivia Newton-John AC DBE (September 26, 1948 – August 8, 2022)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Dame Olivia Newton-John AC DBE (September 26, 1948 – August 8, 2022)

Quote:
Dame Olivia Newton-John (73) passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family’s privacy during this very difficult time.

Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer. Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continues with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that any donations be made in her memory to the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund.

Olivia is survived by her husband John Easterling; daughter Chloe Lattanzi; sister Sarah Newton-John; brother Toby Newton-John; nieces and nephews Tottie, Fiona and Brett Goldsmith; Emerson, Charlie, Zac, Jeremy, Randall, and Pierz Newton-John; Jude Newton-Stock, Layla Lee; Kira and Tasha Edelstein; and Brin and Valerie Hall.

https://myfox8.com/news/olivia-newton-john-dies-at-73-husband-says/
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject:

So sad. Grease is one of my all time favorite musicals. RIP.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject:

From John Travolta's Instagram account:

Quote:
johntravolta Verified

My dearest Olivia, you made all of our lives so much better. Your impact was incredible. I love you so much. We will see you down the road and we will all be together again. Yours from the first moment I saw you and forever!
Your Danny, your John
!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject:

She was an absolutely radiant beauty and talent. Started out as a country singer, moved to pop, and of course Grease was an enormous hit. She had a genuine warmth and ease about her that even seemed to come across in her singing voice. But she also had remarkable strength to live as long as she did with stage 4 cancer, and she did so with her trademark sunny optimism.

The world is less good today. This is a tough one. May she rest in peace.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Wow! Taken too soon.

She'll live forever as one of the icons of the 80s.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject:

RIP
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject:

AP

(Olivia Newton-John, superstar singer and actor, dies at 73)

Quote:
Olivia Newton-John, the Grammy-winning superstar who reigned on pop, country, adult contemporary and dance charts with such hits as “Physical” and “You’re the One That I Want” and won countless hearts as everyone’s favorite Sandy in the blockbuster film version of “Grease,” has died. She was 73.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Cute lil bird in her day. I heard the last half minute of this song in the car today, now I get why. Hadn't heard that song on radio in ages.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Cute lil bird in her day. I heard the last half minute of this song in the car today, now I get why. Hadn't heard that song on radio in ages.

Such a great song, and I love her voice so much. She was "magic", indeed.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
She was an absolutely radiant beauty and talent. Started out as a country singer, moved to pop, and of course Grease was an enormous hit. She had a genuine warmth and ease about her that even seemed to come across in her singing voice. But she also had remarkable strength to live as long as she did with stage 4 cancer, and she did so with her trademark sunny optimism.

The world is less good today. This is a tough one. May she rest in peace.

Well said.

RIP to a pop culture queen.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
So sad. Grease is one of my all time favorite musicals. RIP.

I like the script as a musical set in a HS (w/30-40 y.o. actors) and a plethora of sexual overtones and allusions. Lyrics to "Greased Lightning", e.g.. "Bite the big one, Rizz." Rizzo: "With relish..." That kinda stuff. Kids back in 78 were tougher than they are now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

She was one of those technically excellent singers of her day who maybe didn't also get blessed w/ an extremely distinctive voice on top of it (think Chris Cornell or Pat Benatar or Steve Perry -- they had both). However, it's hard enough to be technical w/ a solid/clean voice. Terri Nunn of the group Berlin was an excellent singer who didn't get lauded all that much based on the genre of her music. I think that happened to Olivia a little, too. Pop is usually crapped on. Matter of fact, I thought Sheena Easton was actually a talented singer. However, there were plenty of singers w/ highly distinctive voices who probably couldn't hold a candle to Olivia's technical ability and range. EG Cyndi Lauper, Bonnie Tyler, Kim Carnes. The latter two excelled in raspiness where Cyndi had a unique approach as seen in We Are The World, but hearing their versions of some of Olivia's songs would've been interesting.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

She was one of those technically excellent singers of her day who maybe didn't also get blessed w/ an extremely distinctive voice on top of it (think Chris Cornell or Pat Benatar or Steve Perry -- they had both). However, it's hard enough to be technical w/ a solid/clean voice. Terri Nunn of the group Berlin was an excellent singer who didn't get lauded all that much based on the genre of her music. I think that happened to Olivia a little, too. Pop is usually crapped on. Matter of fact, I thought Sheena Easton was actually a talented singer. However, there were plenty of singers w/ highly distinctive voices who probably couldn't hold a candle to Olivia's technical ability and range. EG Cyndi Lauper, Bonnie Tyler, Kim Carnes. The latter two excelled in raspiness where Cyndi had a unique approach as seen in We Are The World, but hearing their versions of some of Olivia's songs would've been interesting.

As I think I mentioned before, to me Olivia had this elegant ease to her voice. No, she was not among the truly great singers in terms of ability imo, but she was a very good singer whose voice just sounded melodious. Couple that with catchy songs -- and add on to that her incredible beauty, which, like her voice, seemed so natural and easy -- and you had a whole slew of #1 hits and Top 10 hits. One of the most successful artists of her era, for sure. I'll use this word again, and that's radiant. Yeah yeah, this is coming from a gay dude, but to me she was still a stunningly beautiful woman well into middle age and basically even in her final years. Part of that, to me, was about her attitude and how she carried herself. I was always a fan, but I became an even bigger one after she revealed that her cancer had returned and metastasized in 2017. She displayed such warmth, such grace, and definitely a lot of strength. She was a genuinely bright light in this world, and I'm really bummed that the inevitable day had to come.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Speaking of Cyndi, here's a nice acapella.

Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
As I think I mentioned before, to me Olivia had this elegant ease to her voice. No, she was not among the truly great singers in terms of ability imo, but she was a very good singer whose voice just sounded melodious.

How would you compare her voice to Karen Carpenter?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject:

I rewatched Grease. I'm not into musicals but this one is on my watchable list. So many plots. Olivia Newton John and John Travolta's dancing abilities were great. Travolta's Elvis moves were on point. Olivia had a beautiful voice.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
As I think I mentioned before, to me Olivia had this elegant ease to her voice. No, she was not among the truly great singers in terms of ability imo, but she was a very good singer whose voice just sounded melodious.

How would you compare her voice to Karen Carpenter?

Karen was a class above imo. To me, that's a truly great singer. Also pleasant to listen to, but more technically pure. Her range and tone stand out to me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: