Kobe Bryant Helicopter Crash Photos ***TRIAL*** Vanessa Donates to Foundation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Kobe Bryant Helicopter Crash Photos ***TRIAL*** Vanessa Donates to Foundation

Discussion about the ongoing hearing.

With all due respect to the families involved.

Quote:
The plaintiffs allege that Los Angeles County’s first responders took gruesome cell phone pictures of human remains at the remote Calabasas crash site for their own amusement as “souvenirs” and shared them with other law enforcement personnel and members of the public.

Quote:
At the time there was no standing law regarding first responders taking such photos, however, a law was created, Assembly Bill 2655, making it a misdemeanor for first responders to take unnecessary photos at crime scenes. A bill sponsored by Sheriff Alex Villanueva.

“This is a very important piece of legislation,” Villanueva said. “It arose out of the helicopter crash in Calabasas, and it provides something very important: it’s peace of mind for the families, next of kin and those who perished in an accident.”

Villanueva said his department has policies against taking and sharing photos from crime scenes, but those policies alone have proven insufficient.

Vanessa Bryant and Irvine financial advisor Chris Chester are suing the county for unspecified millions of dollars for negligence and invasion of privacy over the photos, which the county contends were quickly destroyed, no longer exist in any form and never entered the public domain.

Quote:
The plaintiffs say they continue to suffer emotional distress due to the possibility that pictures of their family members’ broken bodies will one day surface on the internet since, as one of their attorneys told the jury, “digital lives forever.”

On day three of the trial in downtown Los Angeles, Luella Weireter is expected to testify that she attended the Golden Mike Awards gala at the Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City in February 2020 and saw former Los Angeles County fire captain Tony Imbrenda display images of remains on his phone.

Trial continues over Kobe Bryant crash site photos

Last edited by Hero Ball on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
*Deputy Doug Johnson testified on Friday that he didn't regret taking photos of Kobe Bryant's body at the January 2020 crash site

*Johnson is alleged to have taken up to 100 photos of the scene, which he distributed via text message, which eventually got passed around

*The deputy said a third of his photos were close-up shots he said were commissioned by Deputy Raul Versales, who has denied requesting them

*Bryant's widow, Vanessa, is suing the county in a federal lawsuit for emotional distress, saying the idea of the photos being distributed haunts her

*Vanessa Bryant has accused the county of taking 'souvenir' photos and a retired cop testified that it had a reputation for keeping a 'ghoul book' of dead celebrities

LINK
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Deputy Douglas Johnson kneeling on the head of Enzo Escalante
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Disgusting, I hope Vanessa and the other family members that are part of the lawsuit take the city to the cleaners.

They need to revamp their (Police, Fire, First Responders etc) procedures.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Feel for them. Reminds me of a case of a teen girl whose death scene pics from a crash in So Cal in 2006 were released. There was even a thread about it w/ the pics in OT at the time. It was extremely gory, her head was crushed in the incident. At any rate, someone in the police dept (I think it was) who had access to the photos posted them online and her family and her younger siblings kept getting emails w/ the gifs purporting to be something else. They had to go to court to get the pics removed from the web to a large extent, but they'll always be out there. I remember seeing the parents in a 60 Minutes segment about their crusade a few years later and was surprised at how successful they actually were, but like the article above said, digital is forever. W/ Kobe, there might've been a chance of any photos being destroyed before they got disseminated publicly judging by how video/pics of Steve Irwin and Dale Earnhardt were destroyed, but those cases aren't the norm by any means.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
On Friday, a Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy who was among the first to arrive at the scene testified that he snapped 25 pictures on his cell phone at the site, a third of which contained close-up images of body parts, and sent the pictures to others.

Deputy Doug Johnson said he hiked for more than an hour through remote, brush-filled terrain to get to the accident scene. He searched the site for about 15 minutes looking for survivors, moved a handful of hikers away, and taped off the area before snapping photos to “document” the crash scene at the request of a deputy at the command post, he testified.

Quote:
Under questioning by a lawyer for Bryant, Johnson testified he texted the 25 photos to the command post deputy and AirDropped them to a county fire supervisor, who is still unidentified.

As for the phone itself, he said he lost it the following year in Las Vegas.

Quote:
On the trial’s third day, Johnson said it never occurred to him that having death photos on his personal cell phone was inappropriate. He testified that it was “common practice” among law enforcement personnel to share and receive images of dead bodies.

The deputy told the fedral court jury in downtown Los Angeles that he had used his phone at crime and accident scenes to take photos “thousands of times.”

In the case of the helicopter crash — which immediately became huge news when TMZ reported the widely beloved basketball star and his daughter were among the victims — Johnson deleted all the photos he had taken, along with a text thread with the deputy at the command post, shortly after he arrived home that night, he testified.

“I know I didn’t do anything wrong,” he said on the stand, and admitted he didn’t recall ever learning at the academy that family members have rights regarding the death images of loved ones.

In cross-examination, the witness insisted “photographs are the most accurate and thorough way to document” accident sites.

Quote:
Earlier Friday, a Los Angeles woman who lost two family members in the crash testified that while attending the Golden Mike Awards gala at the Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City in February 2020, she saw former Los Angeles County fire captain Tony Imbrenda display images of remains on his phone.

In tearful testimony, Luella Weireter said she lost her cousin and the relative’s husband in the crash, and was still grieving when she attended the awards ceremony. She testified that Imbrenda’s wife invited her to look at the photos of Kobe’s corpse on the fire captain’s phone.

She also said she heard another fire official say that night he had “just looked at Kobe’s burnt-up body and I’m about to eat.”

LINK
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject:

I appreciate the work first responders do, but it sounds like they need psychiatric evaluations. You have to be a special kind of evil to salivate over the remains of dead people and/or share them with others. People will do anything for validation on social media. Not letting the dead rest in peace means it will eventually come around to you. What a yucky thing to be a part of.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject:

One of the problems that could arise from this trial is what is called the Streisand effect.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
I appreciate the work first responders do, but it sounds like they need psychiatric evaluations. You have to be a special kind of evil to salivate over the remains of dead people and/or share them with others. People will do anything for validation on social media. Not letting the dead rest in peace means it will eventually come around to you. What a yucky thing to be a part of.

Not a fan of this either and I think the guy lied under oath.

The descriptions were horrifying and I feel bad for Vanessa and Kobe's family and friends. No one needed to see or hear this stuff, is it too much to ask these overpaid clowns to just be professional?
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:43 am    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant Crash Trial Boils Over With Bizarre Courtroom Outburst

Quote:
Vanessa Bryant's lawyer, Luis Liu, continued questioning about the photos, asking whether Kobe Bryant's remains were in one of the photographs. Jordan snapped his fingers and said, "I need a break." He quickly charged out of the courtroom, followed by his lawyer. When Jordan returned, he explained, "I had an image in my head that was not pleasant." He added, per Nicki Swift's court reporter, "A lot of things that pop in my head that aren't pretty." Jordan asked Liu to "refrain" from asking any further questions on the topic, but the lawyer continued, asking Jordan whether he photographed Gianna Bryant "in a ravine." Jordan fired back, "I don't even know who that is!" Liu then identified Gianna as Vanessa's daughter. In a seemingly flustered tone, as observed by Nicki Swift's reporter, Jordan told Vanessa, "Well, I'm sorry for your loss." Vanessa, clad in all black, did not respond to Jordan.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/kobe-bryant-crash-trial-boils-over-with-bizarre-courtroom-outburst/ar-AA10GZgN?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=aa2027c4f3cd40028b1a5d712b007fdc
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject:

Fire Captain Says the Trauma of Photographing Kobe Bryant Crash Site Still Haunts Him: 'Horrifying'

Quote:
Bryant said in part, "It infuriates me that the people I trusted to protect the dignity of my husband and daughter abused their positions to obtain souvenirs of their deaths, as though possessing pictures of their remains somehow makes them special."

"I feel sick at the thought that deputies and firefighters have gawked at photos of my husband's and child's bodies without any reason," she added. "I also feel extreme sadness and anger knowing that photos of my husband's and daughter's bodies were laughed about while shown at a bar and an awards banquet. Given how many people had the photos, I am confident these were not the only times the photos were shown off."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/fire-captain-says-the-trauma-of-photographing-kobe-bryant-crash-site-still-haunts-him-horrifying/ar-AA10Hv2c?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=aa2027c4f3cd40028b1a5d712b007fdc
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant, Gigi Autopsy Sketch Photos Cause Anger Online

Quote:
“Kobe Bryant’s autopsy report being released to the public just doesn’t sit right with me,” wrote one woman.

“Humans are weird. Why tf is Kobe Bryant’s autopsy report just floating around the internet???” wrote another.

“I just read Kobe Bryant’s autopsy report and got sad all over again. 😢” wrote a fan.

“Reading Kobe Bryant and his daughter Autopsy made my chest hurt so bad man 😭😭😭😭” another person wrote.

“Kobe Bryant’s autopsy report had my stomach turning. 😣 As a former OMI Field Deputy Investigator, I could not imagine being at that scene,” wrote a woman.

“I saw Kobe Bryant’s autopsy report, and my god man. Whoever was the doctor doing it that would be traumatic. Rest in Peace Kobe and Gigi Bryant,” a man wrote.

“Kobe & GiGi autopsy sent chills up my spine,” wrote another Twitter user.

The autopsy report goes into great detail outlining the severity of Bryant’s injuries.

https://heavy.com/news/kobe-bryant-gigi-autopsy-sketch-photos-pictures/
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject:

These people are absolutely disgusting.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
One deputy, Joey Cruz, said he made a “misjudgment” when he showed crash-scene photos to a bartender at a restaurant two days after the crash.

“I took it too far,” he said, saying he was under stress at the time and “overwhelmed.”

But he also gave conflicting testimony about what he showed the bartender and what he remembered about it.

The bartender, Cruz’s friend, testified last week that Cruz asked him if he wanted to see a photo of Bryant’s dead body. Cruz disputed that Monday in front of the jury of five men and four women.

“You did not tell bartender, 'Hey do you want to see a photo of Kobe Bryant’s body?' You never said that?” asked Craig Jennings Lavoie, one of Bryant’s attorneys.

“No, because there was no identifying features,” Cruz said, implying he couldn’t know whose body it was.

LINK
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Quote:
One deputy, Joey Cruz, said he made a “misjudgment” when he showed crash-scene photos to a bartender at a restaurant two days after the crash.

“I took it too far,” he said, saying he was under stress at the time and “overwhelmed.”

But he also gave conflicting testimony about what he showed the bartender and what he remembered about it.

The bartender, Cruz’s friend, testified last week that Cruz asked him if he wanted to see a photo of Bryant’s dead body. Cruz disputed that Monday in front of the jury of five men and four women.

“You did not tell bartender, 'Hey do you want to see a photo of Kobe Bryant’s body?' You never said that?” asked Craig Jennings Lavoie, one of Bryant’s attorneys.

“No, because there was no identifying features,” Cruz said, implying he couldn’t know whose body it was.

LINK

So he still didn't know who it was 2 days after the fact? Yeah... Dumb as rocks
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject:

I refuse to follow the details of this sickeing story

I hope something bad happens to each and everyone of these (bleep) losers who did this to these families.

Severe criminal and financial penalties should be a no brainer here.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/kobe-bryant-crash-trial-boils-over-with-bizarre-courtroom-outburst/ar-AA10GZgN?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=aa2027c4f3cd40028b1a5d712b007fdc

Not to derail the topic, you don't have to reply to this. Just an observation/rant after reading the article.

It mentioned Nicole Brown Simpson's crime scene pics. They've since been released (not the morgue/autopsy pics, but crime scene, tho a morgue pic w/ her neck looking like Pac-Man eating a pellet exists). She was face down at the crime scene and photos captured that she had a few downward dripping blood spatters on her back that would've come from (the real) killer leaning over her after she was downed. They took her body in and washed it off like idiots. THE most critical evidence of the entire mess.

White America was pissed off about OJ getting sprung, but in all honestly, the LAPD bleeped that investigation up so royally that Darden/Clark's work product didn't really have the giant weight it was given after the fact. The glove idea was monumentally stupid, however. They gave that one up as a freebie. But...had investigators just recognized the direction of that spatter and collected it, case closed. But...we're talking about old arrogant crusties who were so brazen that they walked all over evidence and left copious shoeprints, etc. The entire criminal justice apparatus lost that case by bungle after bungle and it wasn't Johnnie's fault or Dr. Baden's fault for testifying for the defense. He later helped the Eagle prosecutors close up that sham case RIGHT quick as their own expert witness. I personally think Kobe's lawyers should've resisted the letter. The prosecution wasn't going to continue either way, so why the letter? Anyway, that's a tangent within an tangent. I digress...

Dr. Michael Baden believes it was likelier 2 assailants. I've since seen Goldman's death pic and he was riddled w/ stab wounds, with one even on his shin. Unless the real killer (ahem) dispatched Nicole first and quickly and then turned his fury toward Goldman and perhaps won w/ a critical stab that made Ron fade out, 2 seems like a more believable scenario.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject:

I saw something about the family disapproving of his autopsy diagram being released because I've seen it and there's no question the man died instantly. That's the only solace for all of them. It was a tragedy that ruined multiple families. There were two parents killed leaving other child(ren) orphans. And the diagram also indicates why they lusted for pictures like ghouls. He lost 3 limbs and had open head fracture and severe burns, etc. Like the article said, the gorier, the better (for them). The pics of Nikki Catsouras, the teen girl who died in 2006 in a gory accident came onto the net within days. They were site photos with one including a cleanup worker in biohazard suit picking up bits within a pool of blood. These aholes (usually LEO related) need to be made examples of. I'm actually surprised they didn't put those pics online as it is.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Freakin disgusting.
RIP to Kobe , Gigi and the others aboard the helicopter that day.

That shtt should have never happened.
I'll never forget the day.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Jury awards Vanessa Bryant $16 million over crash photos taken of Kobe Bryant, daughter Gianna

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- A federal jury found Wednesday that Los Angeles County must pay Kobe Bryant's widow $16 million for emotional distress caused by deputies and firefighters sharing photos of the bodies of the NBA star and his daughter taken at the site of the 2020 helicopter crash that killed them.

The nine jurors who returned the unanimous verdict agreed with Vanessa Bryant and her attorneys that the photos of the remains of Kobe Bryant and their 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, invaded her privacy and brought her emotional distress.

The jury deliberated for 4 1/2 hours before reaching the verdict. Vanessa Bryant cried quietly as it was read.

An attorney for the county declined comment on the verdict outside the courtroom.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34455016/jury-awards-vanessa-bryant-16-million-crash-photos-taken-kobe-bryant-daughter-gianna
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject:

^ I was just about to post.

I am pleased to hear of this outcome. I read a thing earlier in the week that Vanessa did not know what she was going to do if she was awarded damages since obviously it wasn't about the money for her. I'm assuming that she's going to start a fund of some kind charitable fund with it or what have you. Those guys with the photos really sound like they need some serious help and need to be off the job for a while. My friends late father was a coroner and my friend told me how that job messed his father up. I just think some jobs employees probably need regular psychiatric evaluation and leaves of absence to keep their mental together.

Last edited by TDRock on Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject:

One day those photos will be on the internet, and her poor family will stumble upon them. No settlement can repay that horror.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

I am pleased to hear of this outcome. I read a thing earlier in the week that Vanessa did not know what she was going to do if she was awarded damages since obviously it wasn't about the money for her. I'm assuming that she's going to start a fund of some kind charitable fund with it or what have you. Those guys with the photos really sound like they need some serious help and I need to be off the job for a while. My friends late father was a coroner and my friend told me how that job messed his father up. I just think some jobs employees probably need regular psychiatric evaluation and leaves of absence to keep their mental together.

Vanessa should give her share to the rest of the other families orphaned by the incident.

She has more than enough dough for her and the girls.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
One day those photos will be on the internet, and her poor family will stumble upon them. No settlement can repay that horror.

G-d I hope not
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
TDRock wrote:

I am pleased to hear of this outcome. I read a thing earlier in the week that Vanessa did not know what she was going to do if she was awarded damages since obviously it wasn't about the money for her. I'm assuming that she's going to start a fund of some kind charitable fund with it or what have you. Those guys with the photos really sound like they need some serious help and I need to be off the job for a while. My friends late father was a coroner and my friend told me how that job messed his father up. I just think some jobs employees probably need regular psychiatric evaluation and leaves of absence to keep their mental together.

Vanessa should give her share to the rest of the other families orphaned by the incident.

She has more than enough dough for her and the girls.

Educate yourself, those families settled w/the city. Only Vanessa and another family in the crash pursued the lawsuit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: