Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 247, 248, 249 ... 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
Looks like the Royals came to play today.

1-0 KC with 6 innings left

I know but they scored 1. For them that deserves the comment. LOL
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject:

Singer is very talented. A bright spot for them.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Singer is very talented. A bright spot for them.

Looks like he is done after 6. Thank God.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject:

Perfecto thru 8 in Tampa.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Perfecto thru 8 in Tampa.

Tuning in. Thanks.

Edit: Damn it. First pitch and it's over.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Tuned into the game late - Are we getting BABIP'd, or were we just really stifled by their pitching?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Bellinger 3-0 is not money in the bank.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

4th pitch was a ball - Umps, for some reason, give pitchers the strike on 3-0 counts, even when it's borderline or even a clear ball.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

4th pitch was a ball - Umps, for some reason, give pitchers the strike on 3-0 counts, even when it's borderline or even a clear ball.

Seriously. That ball was nowhere near. We've had a few calls go our pitchers' way, of course. But yeah, nowhere near.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Never a clean inning. I just never thought Kimbrel would continue to be this bad.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject:

All streaks end. Dodgers just ran out of gas today.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Never a clean inning. I just never thought Kimbrel would continue to be this bad.

Yup, he's still our closer with 49 games to go. I don't know what's going to change, or what they're looking for. 113 games should be plenty of data for them.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Dustin May, in presumably his final AAA start of the season:

5 IP, 1 ER, 4 hits, 1 BB, 10 K, 70 pitches.

Oh, and he tossed an immaculate inning.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Dustin May, in presumably his final AAA start of the season:

5 IP, 1 ER, 4 hits, 1 BB, 10 K, 70 pitches.

Oh, and he tossed an immaculate inning.

Wonder who's gone from our active roster to make room for May. Right now, we have 13 pitchers (5 starters and 8 relievers). We can stick with the 5 man rotation, and send Pepiot back to the minors. Or, we can go with a 6 man rotation, and probably send down Moronta. Well, looking at our schedule on ESPN, we have Pepiot starting on Tuesday @ Mil, then we're skipping his next start. So I guess Pepiot is getting sent down after his next start.

Starters:
1) Anderson
2) Gonsolin
3) Heaney
4) Pepiot
5) Urias

Relievers:
1) Bickford
2) Ferguson
3) Kimbrel
4) Martin
5) Moronta
6) Phillips
7) Price
8) Vesia
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject:

^
Yeah, Pepiot should go down as soon as May returns. But Moronta isn't long for the team, as I think Graterol won't be rehabbing for too much longer (he pitched an inning following up May's 5 innings at AAA today). The next guy likely to lose his spot is Bickford, and it could be either Kershaw or Treinen that takes his spot, if either one returns before September 1. We can carry 28 players (2 additional players) after Sept. 1, and it's actually quite possible that both Kershaw and Treinen don't return until after Sept. 1. We don't really need more position players, so I'm guessing we just carry a couple of extra pitchers, as we try to sort out who will be best for the pitching staff during the postseason. So that would make 15 pitchers. I'll assume that both Kershaw and Treinen return sometime early in September. That would give us a 6-man rotation, which allows for 9 relievers. Yeah, we could invent an IL stint for somebody in order to get looks at other guys, but if we assume that Kimbrel/Phillips/Martin/Ferguson/Price/Vesia/Graterol are locks, that leaves spots for two more guys, and I just remembered that Almonte should have a guaranteed spot once he returns. There would be 1 spot left, and the following 4 guys are all possibilities in September, I think: Kahnle, Duffy, Buehler, Gonzalez. We could see some manufactured IL stints.

I guess it's worth pointing out that Edwin Rios will be a candidate to rejoin the active roster once he's done with his rehab assignment, and that could take place in late August or early September, I guess. Once again, I wonder if we could see a fake IL stint for a position player to get a rest for 2 weeks. There's not an obvious player that could/would get sent down.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yeah, Pepiot should go down as soon as May returns. But Moronta isn't long for the team, as I think Graterol won't be rehabbing for too much longer (he pitched an inning following up May's 5 innings at AAA today). The next guy likely to lose his spot is Bickford, and it could be either Kershaw or Treinen that takes his spot, if either one returns before September 1. We can carry 28 players (2 additional players) after Sept. 1, and it's actually quite possible that both Kershaw and Treinen don't return until after Sept. 1. We don't really need more position players, so I'm guessing we just carry a couple of extra pitchers, as we try to sort out who will be best for the pitching staff during the postseason. So that would make 15 pitchers. I'll assume that both Kershaw and Treinen return sometime early in September. That would give us a 6-man rotation, which allows for 9 relievers. Yeah, we could invent an IL stint for somebody in order to get looks at other guys, but if we assume that Kimbrel/Phillips/Martin/Ferguson/Price/Vesia/Graterol are locks, that leaves spots for two more guys, and I just remembered that Almonte should have a guaranteed spot once he returns. There would be 1 spot left, and the following 4 guys are all possibilities in September, I think: Kahnle, Duffy, Buehler, Gonzalez. We could see some manufactured IL stints.

I guess it's worth pointing out that Edwin Rios will be a candidate to rejoin the active roster once he's done with his rehab assignment, and that could take place in late August or early September, I guess. Once again, I wonder if we could see a fake IL stint for a position player to get a rest for 2 weeks. There's not an obvious player that could/would get sent down.

Yeah, I didn't know the answer so I had to look it up, but looks like only 14 pitchers are allowed on the 28 man roster in September:

Quote:
Teams are limited to carrying 13 pitchers during this time. From Sept. 1 through the end of the regular season, all clubs must carry 28 players, with a limit of 14 pitchers.

Yeah, I think Rios gets one spot then another pitcher.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject:

Here’s a question I just thought of. With Pepiot, White, McKinstry, players like that who continually get shuffled back and forth between the minors and majors...

I wonder where do they stay at when we play at home? I’m sure they don’t have an apartment. Do they just stay at hotels/motels? Crash at one of the other players’ homes? Couchsurf?

I don’t think the Dodgers can provide them with lodging. That might be against the CBA.

They don’t get paid much.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Here’s a question I just thought of. With Pepiot, White, McKinstry, players like that who continually get shuffled back and forth between the minors and majors...

I wonder where do they stay at when we play at home? I’m sure they don’t have an apartment. Do they just stay at hotels/motels? Crash at one of the other players’ homes? Couchsurf?

I don’t think the Dodgers can provide them with lodging. That might be against the CBA.

They don’t get paid much.

Definitely interesting. I do think it would be unfair to them to foot expensive hotel bills on their meager salaries when they already have a difficult time making ends meet while playing for the minor league team. Players don't have to pay for their hotels while on the road, right?

I don't see how that would be any kind of CBA/salary circumvention if those are the travel expenses. Perhaps if a player is called up from the minors, it's a similar situation where they're considered "on the road" even when the big league club is in town.

What I would also wonder is do players who get called up get any kind of additional pay (or stipend) while playing for the big league team? It also seems "unfair" that they're called up but basically making the same pocket change that they'd be getting in a minor league game.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't see how that would be any kind of CBA/salary circumvention if those are the travel expenses. Perhaps if a player is called up from the minors, it's a similar situation where they're considered "on the road" even when the big league club is in town.

Yeah, but they're not travel expenses for home games. Traded players go through the same thing. Think of Scherzer last year. Where did he live for the 2 months he was with us? He didn't know if he was going to stay long term or not, so he definitely didn't buy a house. Did he go rent an apartment? Who knows. He's definitely in a better situation than minor leaguers because he has the money.

But yeah, perhaps it's written into the CBA for minor league call ups. Seems that would be the fair thing to do. Remember, for the longest time, minor leaguers didn't get their housing paid for. Now it is. But they had to fight for it. I haven't heard it extended to the majors though.

The reason why I say it could be a circumvention of the CBA is because, let's say the Dodgers offered to buy Scherzer a house for $10M. That's an exaggeration purely to illustrate what teams could do if they were able to provide lodging for home games.

Quote:
What I would also wonder is do players who get called up get any kind of additional pay (or stipend) while playing for the big league team? It also seems "unfair" that they're called up but basically making the same pocket change that they'd be getting in a minor league game.

No, while they're on the major league team, they make the mlb minimum, prorated. So the mlb min is $700k now, which comes out to $4,321 per game. According to spotrac, Pepiot's made $230k this year so far.

Quote:
Players don't have to pay for their hotels while on the road, right?

Yup, that's why I asked only for home games. Everyone's covered for road games.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Texas Rangers fire manager Chris Woodward amid season of dissatisfactory progress

Man, Seager said he signed there because of his relationship with Woodward. Woodward was also trying to recruit Kershaw as well
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject:

Some good info on Matt Antonelli's YouTube channel. I've watched some of his content over the years, but hadn't seen any of his videos talking about this very subject.

Where Do Players Live In MLB?
*Minor leagues = Host families, apartments (either shared with teammates, or solo)
*Minor leaguers called up to big league team= team puts you in a hotel for 14 days - after which you figure something out and handle yourself. Matt chose to continue staying in the hotel he was set up with because it was so close to Petco Park and he could just walk there.
*Major leaguers - own/rent

How Much $$$ Are You Paid When Called Up to MLB
*To no surprise....Minor leaguers are paid crap, unless you're on the 40-man, then you make at least something that could be considered a living wage.
*Minor leaguers that are called up earn a pro-rated league minimum for each day on the big league roster.
*Players on the 40-man are given ~$100/day of meal money on road trips. He said he still collected meal money even when he wasn't even traveling with the team because he was back rehabbing. In contrast, minor leaguers get like $20 a day in meal money.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
Some good info on Matt Antonelli's YouTube channel. I've watched some of his content over the years, but hadn't seen any of his videos talking about this very subject.

*Minor leagues = Host families, apartments (either shared with teammates, or solo)
*Minor leaguers called up to big league team= team puts you in a hotel for 14 days - after which you figure something out and handle yourself. Matt chose to continue staying in the hotel he was set up with because it was so close to Petco Park and he could just walk there.

*To no surprise....Minor leaguers are paid crap, unless you're on the 40-man, then you make at least something that could be considered a living wage.
*Minor leaguers that are called up earn a pro-rated league minimum for each day on the big league roster.
*Players on the 40-man are given ~$100/day of meal money on road trips. He said he still collected meal money even when he wasn't even traveling with the team because he was back rehabbing. In contrast, minor leaguers get like $20 a day in meal money.

Cool videos. There's a reason why MLB players are more "mature" than other sports. you are humbled before making it big.

I feel bad for the minor leaguers that didn't get signing bonuses. Basically they are living in poverty unless their families are somewhat well off enough to support you.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:

Good info!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:

Cool videos. There's a reason why MLB players are more "mature" than other sports. you are humbled before making it big.

I feel bad for the minor leaguers that didn't get signing bonuses. Basically they are living in poverty unless their families are somewhat well off enough to support you.

Not sure they are more mature but agree re getting humbled. And it happens way more when they play in the bigs, no matter how good. How many nights a year did prime Kobe have a bad night? Maybe 5? How many games does TB12 throw away? 1 a year, maybe?

How many games is Mike Trout going to go hitless? How many games will Kersh get lit up? Waaaaaaaaaaay more
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject:

So there's a scheduling quirk this year during the postseason. As far as how this could impact the Dodgers, during the NLDS (best-of-5), the only off day/travel day is after Game 2, whereas usually there would also be an off day after Game 4, if a Game 5 were necessary. So if there's a Game 5, it's the day after Game 4, and it's possible that we could be playing the Braves, so that would be a lot of travel for both sides with no off day. (If it were the Padres, obviously the travel part wouldn't come into play, just the no off day thing.) Usually, you have the choice of whether or not you're going to bring your Game 1 starter back for Game 4 on three days of rest, or you go with your 4th starter. That will remain the same here. However, if it went to a Game 5, your #2 starter would usually be on normal rest because of the second off day. That won't be the case here. My guess is that the Dodgers would throw their 4th starter in a Game 4 for sure if they were up in the series, and maybe even if they were down, and then that means your #1 starter on normal rest in a Game 5. It means that the only way to go with a 3-man rotation in the NLDS is if you are prepared to use both your #1 and #2 starter on 3 days of rest. That seems unlikely to me.

In the AL, there's a further quirk, where the ALDS will have off days after both Game 1 and Game 2, but no off day after a Game 4 if a Game 5 is necessary.

The LCS and World Series rounds are scheduled like usual, with the normal off days after Games 2 and 5.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 247, 248, 249 ... 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 248 of 434
Jump to: