NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Can anyone explain why the Nets traded a first round pick for Royce O'Neale?

Ainge asked Marks.

Marks obliged.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject:

Although the current roster is younger and more athletic than last year, I don't see this current team making a playoff run in today's NBA. On paper we currently have three (3) All-Stars/HOF's in the starting lineup, however I don't believe Russ is capable of taking a back-seat role nor being a "Dog" on defense at this age and stage...

The trade for Kyrie needs to happen, but sad to say, I'm not sure if that even puts this current Lakers Team over the top or makes them a favorite, it only gives more "Fire-Power" IMO.

If AD goes down again, we can forget about it, or LBJ for that matter. Unless some of these role players prove to be more than capable back-ups who can step in for long periods of time. LBJ will need a lot of load management, and no matter how well his body is looking, at some point age starts to catch up!

FO Needs to make the trade, but prepare for the worse case scenario if the goal is to secure another title.

If AD stays on this team, I'd like to see him play a full NBA season with no injuries and dominate the game on both ends, then it's very possible a another Title is in sight!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Ainge asked Marks.

Marks obliged.

Seems like there is an NBA mandate to let Ainge fleece you in trades or you lose your job.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Those fake accounts...everyone knows it's him.

If he thinks he got dissed he will spew obscenities towards anyone who did it through those burner accounts.

He doesn't care what the public thinks of him.

Okay, but this explanation doesn't make any sense at all.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/patbev21/status/1558974229973856256?s=21&t=Y6v0MFZZ5saHFIfIdVg0_w

đź‘€

Im not sure which of those 4 will actually play.

Damn, you are that down on your clippers?

Usually, you are skeptical of day to Davis. Interesting that you are losing hope in your clippers…at least your Pelicans are looking promising with Zion now staying with important incentives in his contract lol.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Ainge asked Marks.

Marks obliged.

He's a wing. Plays the 3 usually.

His 3 point shooting percentages last 2 years are 39% and 1.5 makes per game. Put a wing around superstars is the way to go right now.

We could use a guy like him around AD/Bron. AD/Bron draw doubles and then we need guys that can defend and hit open 3s.

Right now a 3&D wing is a major asset in the NBA. It's laughable what we gave up for KCP. Wizards ended up getting Will Barton and Monte Morris for KCP.

Think about that alone. We traded away KCP, Kuzma, and Trez, plus a FRP, and also let Caruso walk because of WB's added salary. Washington has since turned that into Kuzma, Porzingis, Barton, Monte Morris.

Tell me you wouldn't want Kuzma, Porzingis, Barton, Monte Morris, Alex Caruso around AD/Bron? We would be top 3 in the West with that kind of GM'ing. How Pelinka has a job after last season is laughable. We had one of the deepest rosters in the NBA and AD/Bron. We destroyed it all, and now need to either punt the next season or give up 27/29 FRPs to get back into the top 4 (or have a chance at).

Point is, even a guy like KCP, who was arguably our 3rd best player in the championship run, he's a 3&D wing. O'Neale is another wing that gives you some defense and 3 point shooting. These sort of players are valued in the NBA right now, because the game is basically put as many of them as you can around some superstars, and you win. We had that set up, and messed it all up, trying to get fancy with a big 3 concept of WB/AD/Bron.

Back to the Nets, I think when they traded for O'Neale they were under the impression they would be going for win now with Durant. Since, they may be moving onto a re-build. Not sure. I think when they traded for O'Neale, the Duant trade request had not happened. One of their weaknesses last year was that the guys that shoot well around KD/Kyrie were not good defensively. Seth Curry is not a wing defender.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Ainge asked Marks.

Marks obliged.

He's a wing. Plays the 3 usually.

His 3 point shooting percentages last 2 years are 39% and 1.5 makes per game. Put a wing around superstars is the way to go right now.

We could use a guy like him around AD/Bron. AD/Bron draw doubles and then we need guys that can defend and hit open 3s.

Right now a 3&D wing is a major asset in the NBA.

What we're seeing is that a lot of people are still having trouble adjusting to player valuations in the current NBA. Last year, O'Neale had a RAPTOR of +1.4 and a WAR (based on RAPTOR) of 5.5 (one spot ahead of Jordan Poole). He was a little better than that in '21. Some of the other metrics are less enthusiastic about O'Neale, but they all rate him as a good defender. The point is that a guy like O'Neale has functional value in the current NBA that exceeds his counting number stats.

As you go on to say, our front office did not value role players like this. We're still trying to win with stars. This can be done, but the margins are really narrow when you lack quality role players to fill out the rotations. This has been talked to death. As I like to say, I was a critic of the front office before it was fashionable.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The dynamic around Kevin Durant and the Nets “hasn’t changed at all,” and there’s no urgency in trade talks, per @WindhorstESPN

This pissing contest has the potential of being Harden/Rockets 2.0

KD doesn’t have the body to ever really be fat, but it would be hilarious if we got fat KD like Harden when he was done with the Rockets.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
Although the current roster is younger and more athletic than last year, I don't see this current team making a playoff run in today's NBA. On paper we currently have three (3) All-Stars/HOF's in the starting lineup, however I don't believe Russ is capable of taking a back-seat role nor being a "Dog" on defense at this age and stage...

The trade for Kyrie needs to happen, but sad to say, I'm not sure if that even puts this current Lakers Team over the top or makes them a favorite, it only gives more "Fire-Power" IMO.

If AD goes down again, we can forget about it, or LBJ for that matter. Unless some of these role players prove to be more than capable back-ups who can step in for long periods of time. LBJ will need a lot of load management, and no matter how well his body is looking, at some point age starts to catch up!

FO Needs to make the trade, but prepare for the worse case scenario if the goal is to secure another title.

If AD stays on this team, I'd like to see him play a full NBA season with no injuries and dominate the game on both ends, then it's very possible a another Title is in sight!

There is no Title in sight. The sooner we accept that , the better for our collective mental health.

A trade for Kyrie is a minimal move. Moving one problem for a new set of problems. It just wastes more assets and gives the media and fans something to talk about. But it does not move them into “ contender” status.

I expect them to be improved. Hopefully better overall health and an increase in game to game contributions from the bench. Having a couple actual centers should help. At least we won’t be subjected to more Anthony or James at center lineups!

Having Davis active (assuming he can play 70 games) and contributions from athletic effort players like Nunn, Walker, Reaves, Toscano, Johnson, and Brown “ should” be an increase of intensity over the Ariza, Howard, Anthony, Bazemore, etc from last season’s roster.

Just depends on overall buy-in from James and Westbrook (or his replacement) and if they listen to Ham and coaches to how much they improve from the embarrassment of a team they were last season.

I can buy a play in team. If things go really well maybe a 5 or 6 seed. Have a hard time seeing them jumping into top 4 in the West though. It would take a perfect storm to do so.

Wasting more trade assets on a mediocre team just to get rid of Westbrook seems like a bad business move to me. Accept the Retirement Tour, the media attention, and hopefully more entertaining games it will bring. But being competitive doesn’t seem likely.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

If he thinks he got dissed he will spew obscenities towards anyone who did it through those burner accounts.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9422727/Nets-star-Kevin-Durant-unleashed-vile-homophobic-rant-actor-Michael-Rapaport-Instagram.html

His twitter/IG tongue is vicious.

Now is that a picture of a man who cares what the public thinks of him?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject:

Disagree with Kyrie take, of course with any players we have, things have to break right aka health for us, and our margin of error is smaller compare to other contenders but make no mistake, with Kyrie, we are a contender (yes, sans other move, T.Bryant and Reaves gotta be that avg 3pt threat for the 3 stars, or Nunn hopefully). U can’t count out AD-Bron-Kyrie in the playoff
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
The dynamic around Kevin Durant and the Nets “hasn’t changed at all,” and there’s no urgency in trade talks, per @WindhorstESPN

KD doesn’t have the body to ever really be fat, but it would be hilarious if we got fat KD like Harden when he was done with the Rockets.

I agree but not for the "getting out of shape" concern...It's the "I don't give a sh*t about this team" concern. Harden was traded a short time later. Same thing can happen with KD....You want to roll the dice with a disgruntled KD...be my guest.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
RG73 wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I have trouble imagining that Durant is going to hold out by feigning an injury. I doubt he'll want all the public grief that goes along with that.

This is the same Durant that set up fake twitter accounts just to fight with fans? Much like his teammate Kyrie, he doesn't strike me as a man who cares at all about public opinion. $300 million in career earnings, a couple championships and a guaranteed first ballot ascension to the Hall no matter what kind of makes you bullet proof from public grief.

Actually, the fact that he used fake Twitter accounts tells me that he's fairly thin skinned and that he cares a lot about public opinion. The way that he deals with this stuff is exactly the opposite of Irving.

That's my take. If you really don't care what people think, you just answer in your own name, you don't use a burner account.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9422727/Nets-star-Kevin-Durant-unleashed-vile-homophobic-rant-actor-Michael-Rapaport-Instagram.html

You may have missed the key word in that article: "Private."
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

Kyrie may not make us the favorites, but there is no question it would catapult us up the standings. How many teams for sure would be better than that in the West? The Warriors and Suns are probably it. I think the move would put us right into the tier below with the Clippers and Grizzlies. I'd take my chances with that all day long.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
Kyrie may not make us the favorites, but there is no question it would catapult us up the standings. How many teams for sure would be better than that in the West? The Warriors and Suns are probably it. I think the move would put us right into the tier below with the Clippers and Grizzlies. I'd take my chances with that all day long.

I really want to believe that, but I think it underrates the utter lack of depth in the roster. It also assumes that the big three would be healthier than they have been in recent years. I'm not so sure that we'd be more than a play-in team. In fact, it isn't realistic to assume that we'd be magically healthy when we got to the play-in tournament.

Sure, our ceiling would be higher, and we might do as well as you suggest. However, the median outcome is a lot lower than the ceiling. Just plug in the assumption that Lebron, Davis, and Irving play 60 games (which is more than Lebron and Davis have played since '20 and more than Irving has played since '19). If that assumption is correct, then the lack of depth would just kill us. Every team will have health issues, for sure. The teams that have depth will weather it better. We saw this last year with the Clippers and Nuggets.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

You may have missed me saying everyone knows it's him.

He even don't deny him using burner accounts when on social media.

You may not be aware of how KD behaves in social media, doesn't mean people are on the same level.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Bleacher Report wrote:

Aug 15, 2022 • Reply • Retweet • Favorite

Dr. Laker said Kevin could sit out, cite soreness from his achilles, and the Nets would have to pay his salary.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
One team executive believes Kevin Durant is more apt to retire than play again for the Brooklyn Nets, per
@TheSteinLine

call his bluff Tsai
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Quote:
One team executive believes Kevin Durant is more apt to retire than play again for the Brooklyn Nets, per
@TheSteinLine

call his bluff Tsai

LOL...no one believes that for a second....baby Durant is just throwing a tantrum to get traded like Harden forced to get to the Nets...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

You may have missed me saying everyone knows it's him.

He even don't deny him using burner accounts when on social media.

You may not be aware of how KD behaves in social media, doesn't mean people are on the same level.

How does everyone know that it's him when it is a private message that isn't visible to the public? You're not making a lot of sense.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Quote:
@TheSteinLine

call his bluff Tsai

Calling his bluff means not trading him? As Laker fans, we want KD to be traded so we could get Kyrie though. So we'd prefer if Tsai doesn't call his bluff.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Quote:
@TheSteinLine

call his bluff Tsai

Yeah, it's Monday morning. Time for March Stein to fill the news vacuum with some clickbait.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ClutchPoints
@ClutchPointsApp
·
3h
"Nothing has happened. The dynamic around Kevin Durant hasn't changed at all... Durant clearly does not have leverage with the Brooklyn Nets... We may be here at the end of August, we may be here in mid-September."

—
@WindhorstESPN
on KD trade talks

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1559166856526811136
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ClutchPoints
@ClutchPointsApp
"These trade demands are not even close to being justified... If I'm Joe Tsai for the Brooklyn Nets, you ain't going no damn place. There is no way in hell I'm letting Kevin Durant leave this year. Hell with that!"

—
@stephenasmith
on
@KDTrey5
's demands

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1559197164013854720

Yeah, I know. The talking heads have spoken.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next
Page 171 of 2545
Jump to: