LAKERS -at- WARRIORS - 10-9-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- WARRIORS - 10-9-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

A Preseason Win... It’s been a while since they had a preseason W.

The Lakers pulled off the 124-121 win tonight as they visited the defending champs. No Klay or Dray for the Warriors. No Russ or LeBron or Pat Bev for the Lakers.

AD poured in 28 points in just 21 minutes, but the Lakers also got a couple 20+ point performances off their bench in Kenrick Nunn and Matt Ryan.

Ryan did all his damage in the second half as he shot the lights out from three -- a huge performance for him as he’s fighting for an NBA roster spot.

Although the Lakers hadn’t won a game prior to this one, they’ve looked miles ahead of last year’s team. Last season, every unit was getting dominated. Hopefully, the momentum continues as we close in on the regular season.

Davis -- -- He scored 24 points in the first half to help the Lakers to an 8-point lead without LeBron/Russ out there. He had a nice sequence hitting a three straight away, following that up with an attack off the three line for a score, then knocking down another deep three and finally finishing an And-1 lob on the two-game with JTA. The perimeter shot is looking good. Defensively, he had some nice challenges including spiking a rejection behind a man early on. Some good passing as well, just some swing passes to shooters to keep the ball moving and find a better shot. Good to see him get some extended run. Hopefully, the back is fine afterward and we can get the trio out there to work on the chemistry. “It’s just a matter of managing his body,” Ham said. The Stats: He scored 28 points on 9-18 shooting (2-4 from three, 8-8 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 3 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a -1.

Reaves -- -- I’m impressed how much we trust this second-year player, and he earned it. We ran him as the starting point, which in our horns and 4-1 formations doesn’t need a lot of traditional playmaking as you are running handoffs and just doing a lot of initiating work. Picture if we made that Hield/Turner trade and LeBron sits out…or has a small injury. The team has to find a way to playmake and create offense. We trust Reaves to organize the offense. That says a lot. Some hoop IQ plays tonight. He froze the D on a fake spin hesi and then dunked on the baseline. He also lost a defender going behind his back on the dribble, then sealed him and scored an And-1 scoop in the paint. He’s just so crafty with the dribble. It showed last year, but looks even better this season. It seems like he gets at least one or two And-1 type plays a game with some of that craft. Defensively, always strong. He had a nice second effort to block a Poole jumper. And another smart play where he went vertical in transition while the trackdown D was able to swat from behind after he slowed the man down. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-5 shooting (0-1 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a +1.

Toscano-Anderson -- -- Starting at the PF tonight, some good moments against his former team. Defensively, he had a nice backline rotation to steal a pass (almost like he knew what was coming). He drew a charge on a big in transition. He also had a nice swat on Looney on one end, then scored a layup off a feed from AD on the other. Some good moments of chemistry between him an AD. The offense flowed into a two-man action between the two of them after we cycled through some ball movement, and JTA turned that into an And-1 lob for AD. He’s a smart player and should only get better as our team IQ grows. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-5 shooting (0-2 from three) to go with 3 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 block and 1 foul in 22 minutes. He was a +5.

Walker IV -- -- Really strong start to this one. He sank a corner three off a swing from AD. He hit a step-back three. Next time down, found JTA for a layup off a jump pass instead of calling his own number on the pull-up. He and Nunn gave a little bit of a one-two punch from those guard positions. Defensively, good effort, as well. He’s got that ankle injury he's recovering from, and that will usually show up on D when you’ve got to react. But he’s been holding his own there despite this in the equation in some fashion. The Lakers got good three shooting tonight from that Nunn/Walker duo -- a combined 7-13. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 5-12 shooting (3-6 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 4 assists, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a +6.

Christie -- -- Defensively, he spent some time against Wiggins and Poole. Early on, he swatted Poole on iso D as Poole tried to pull up on him. Against Wiggins, he’d have to deal with the bigger player and Christie’s length shows his versatility here. He’s definitely put on strength since summer and at his age, there’s a lot more bulk that will happen as his body matures. That will help his D further, but also those finishes around the rim. Speaking of which, we saw him not settle for a floater on a drive tonight. Instead, going in to draw contact and FTs closer to the rim. He’s got that length, so that’s there for him. He also hit a corner three and a pull-up at the elbow. He also airballed a 13-footer that he was open on. Still, serviceable minutes tonight. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 2-7 shooting (1-1 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 1 assist, 1 block and 3 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a -10.

Nunn -- -- Kind of a big game for him. We really needed someone else to be that other man with LBJ and Russ out. He stepped into that role off the bench with 21 points. You’ve got to have that other consistent scorer that can step up if one of our star playmakers can’t go. When Kuz was here, he was sometimes that guy. But two 8-13 shooting 20+ games from Nunn, that’s just a big develop for the Lakers if he can be that next man up. Interestingly, he came off the bench tonight without Russ/Bron. Don’t know if that is showing what Ham is thinking or not. I see some “Handy work” in Nunn’s game now. There are dribble combinations that remind me what Phil Handy teaches his guards. Nunn’s handle looks tight and could elevate his game another level this season. “I had a couple times where I had a couple setbacks during the summer,” Nunn said, “but I just had to dial back my workouts a little bit, but I was able to get enough work in for the summer to be prepared for the season.” He had a rock back hesi that froze a defender tonight as he went in for a layup. The Stats: He scored 21 points on 8-13 shooting (4-7 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 7 assists, 3 turnovers and 3 foul sin 25 minutes. He was a +2.

Jones -- -- He drew FTs on a two-man sequence for his only points. Like Gabriel, a little too foul prone tonight with 4 in his 12 minutes. Not a lot of notes for him. His one attempt was a chuck from behind he backboard trying to beat the shotlock. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 0-2 shooting (2-2 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 12 minutes. He was a +0.

Bryant -- -- Took over the AD rotation to start the fourth. Really good energy and effort out there. He hit a jumphook off low position. He scored a layup off our double drag horns sequence, rolling to the hoop. He attacked off the three line and muscled in a layup with 2 minutes left. Late in the game, he was called for basket interference on a tip in. I liked his minutes. The three ball is still MIA, but he was doing other things out there. He might have edged out the lead at the C spot. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-5 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 5 boards (2 offensive), 2 assists, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 12 minutes. He was a +5.

Swider -- -- Still not finding his stroke. If he’s looking for it, Matt Ryan stole it. Swider sank 1 three in 6 attempts. Shooters are going to miss or go cold, so you have to look at the other things they are doing on the court while going through issues. Swider had a nice dive at midcourt to tap a loose ball to a teammate to ignite a breakaway. James Worthy was impressed afterward. Swider had some good box outs, as well, at the PF spot. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-6 shooting gtom three to go with 6 boards, 1 steal, 1 turnover and no fouls in 19 minutes. He was a +2.

Gabriel -- -- Some up and down minutes tonight. He had 3 fouls in the first 3 minutes. Then picked it up some in the second half with a mix of hustle and work in the paint. He scored on a low post seal. He missed a shot, Bryant kept it alive and then Gabriel jammed it back in. Energy our bigs didn’t have with regularity last year. Later in the fourth, he missed from the perimeter, we knocked the ball away at midcourt, he attacked down the middle of the paint with speed and scored a layup. Some sketchy moments challenging shots down the stretch. We’re up three, you don’t want to give up an And-1, but we dodged some bullets there. A little too foul-prone tonight. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-5 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 1 board, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover and 5 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a +2.

Ryan -- -- On fire. “He may have gotten a job tonight,” Ham said afterward. The Lakers brought him and Bacon into the mix late in camp. They let Bacon go, but kept Ryan and he provided some red on shooting from three. When watching Ryan, you could also picture a shooter like Hield in the mix in this system. There are quick-fire shots off handoffs and coming off screens. The Lakers can pull bigs out of the paint because of how much screen setting and DHO work we do when you’ve got shooters like this. The help D can’t stay back. After a flurry of threes in the third, he opened the fourth quarter on a set play, sinking a three off a pin-in screen weakside. He dropped 20 points, hitting 6 threes and two clutch FTs with 5.4 seconds left. He did that all in the second half. “Every opportunity could be your last one,” Ryan said. Huge game for him. The Stats: He scored 20 points on 6-9 shooting from three (2-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 20 minutes. He was a +1.

Harrison -- -- The Lakers had a Shaq and Bryant combo out on the floor late in this one. Shaquille Harrison came in with 7:14 left, Lakers up 3. He turned the ball over on a pass, but picked a man on the perimeter shortly later and took it for a dunk for his only score. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-3 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 7 minutes. He was a +1.

Pippen -- -- A late-game addition, he had a couple of turnovers in the fourth. But also a couple big plays late. He found Ryan on a kickout for a crunch-time three. He also blew past his man for a layup. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-1 shooting to go with 1 board, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 7 minutes. He was a +1.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: Getting AD on the floor to drop 28 points in 21 minutes. Good to see the bigman out there and showing that dominance. Hopefully, the rest of the vets join him.

Key Substitution: Let’s go with Bryant in the fourth quarter. He had been sitting all game and gave the team some good energy.

Key Stats: We’ve been tracking in the shooting, so let’s stick with that. The Lakers shot 43.6% from three (17-39) and an impressive 17-18 from the line.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject:

First..... Preseason win in two seasons

Last edited by Laker's Fan on Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Finally a win!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Good job by our young players to secure the win. Ryan was indeed on fire. Good for him.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Ryan was killing it from three tonight, but it also looked like he was getting blown by on defense with ease. Swider feels like the better rebounder, defender (not saying much), and all around player. However, if he’s not hitting his shots at a high clip, then maybe we should keep Ryan instead.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Good game overall

I know DS hasn’t played yet, but I fail to see how we can even find him minutes
WB/NUNN/Pat Bev are locks
JTA/LW/AR are locks
Assuming NUNN starts with RW, do we use Pat bev and DS together? Neither are good creators (think AR is better), neither are great shooters,
Barring a RW trade, I don’t know how DS fit into our equation
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Woohooo!

Thanks DB
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Great to see Kendrick Nunn show what he can do after ceasing to exist last season with the injury, and also several Lakers once again hustling on defense or hitting shots.

I'd love to see a Nunn/Reaves/DS/Bev/Walker guard rotation, I know we have another guard who makes a lot of money but these are the guys I look forward to seeing on the floor. Encouraging to see what Christie brought to the table today as well, and of course good game AD!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Picture if we made that Hield/Turner trade and LeBron sits out…or has a small injury.

What you angling at DB?

Great summary btw. Did not see the game so this helped alot.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Matt Who?

Thanks, DB!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:56 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Thanks DB! Great to see Kendrick Nunn show what he can do after ceasing to exist last season with the injury, and also several Lakers once again hustling on defense or hitting shots.

I'd love to see a Nunn/Reaves/DS/Bev/Walker guard rotation, I know we have another guard who makes a lot of money but these are the guys I look forward to seeing on the floor. Encouraging to see what Christie brought to the table today as well, and of course good game AD!
Good Question

Maybe Reeves and Walker will be playing SFs, along with PatBev

Closing or Defesive lineup could be DS, PatBev, AD, LBJ and Reeves/Walker
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Ryan Korver looked like a Splash Brother last night
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Good Question

Maybe Reeves and Walker will be playing SFs, along with PatBev

Closing or Defesive lineup could be DS, PatBev, AD, LBJ and Reeves/Walker

Yeah, I think we're going small with some guards at SF to get minutes for everyone. We've even had Russ defend some SF this preseason.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
Ryan was killing it from three tonight, but it also looked like he was getting blown by on defense with ease. Swider feels like the better rebounder, defender (not saying much), and all around player. However, if he’s not hitting his shots at a high clip, then maybe we should keep Ryan instead.

Swider's got that 2 year, 2-way. I've been cool with how Swider's defended and done the grunt work. That was a big question mark.

Ryan probably could stay on with a non-guaranteed deal as we figure things out.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Good game overall

I know DS hasn’t played yet, but I fail to see how we can even find him minutes
WB/NUNN/Pat Bev are locks
JTA/LW/AR are locks
Assuming NUNN starts with RW, do we use Pat bev and DS together? Neither are good creators (think AR is better), neither are great shooters,
Barring a RW trade, I don’t know how DS fit into our equation
Good Question

Possible Scenarios
JTA, PatBev, Reeves and Williams can play SF/3

Closing/Defensive Lineups
AD/LBJ/PatBev/AR/Westbrook or any of the others
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Startrout wrote:
Swider's got that 2 year, 2-way. I've been cool with how Swider's defended and done the grunt work. That was a big question mark.

If both of them can absorb/integrate all the concepts to play good Team D within Ham’s system, plus always have PatBev mentality and avoiding RW’s tendencies on defense - maybe these two can be our version of the Heat’s Hero and Duncan.

Hopefully they will be legitimate offensive threats similar to Danny Green was in the past because they will not have the pressure/expectation of being the first or second option
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Startrout wrote:

If both of them can absorb/integrate all the concepts to play good Team D within Ham’s system, plus always have PatBev mentality and avoiding RW’s tendencies on defense - maybe these two can be our version of the Heat’s Hero and Duncan.

Hopefully they will be legitimate offensive threats similar to Danny Green was in the past because they will not have the pressure/expectation of being the first or second option

It’s going to be interesting to see which guards get minutes. It’s just not enough to go around:
PG Russ, Shroeder,
SG Nunn, Bev
SF LBJ then either Walker or a Reeves

Christie, TBjr, and one other will collect DNP CDs regularly by mid season. The one other may be Walker or Reeves unless Reeves can beat out Shroeder for the backup PG spot.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Watching Ham having the Lakers actually running an offensive system is such a change. I hope that still remains when LeBron and Russ are on the court though.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Startrout wrote:

It’s going to be interesting to see which guards get minutes. It’s just not enough to go around:
PG Russ, Shroeder,
SG Nunn, Bev
SF LBJ then either Walker or a Reeves

Christie, TBjr, and one other will collect DNP CDs regularly by mid season. The one other may be Walker or Reeves unless Reeves can beat out Shroeder for the backup PG spot.
In today's "Position-Less" NBA where one gets the best players for different situations, here are some possibilities

Defensive
AD/LBJ/PatBev/Schroeder/Reeves or Walker

Rebounding
Jones/AD/LBJ/Westbrook/Reeves

Offensive
Westbrook/AD/LBJ/Reeves/Jones or Swider or Nunn or Ryan

Small Ball
AD/LBJ/PatBev/Walker or Schroeder/Reeves or Nunn or Ryan

Center-Less
LBJ/Reeves/Walker/Schroeder/Nunn or Ryan

Closing
AD/LBJ/Reeves/PatBev/Westbrook or Nunn or Williams or Schroeder

4-1
AD/Nunn/Reeves/Ryan or Swider/Williams

Press Team
AD/PatBev/Schroeder/Williams/Nunn

Against Embiid/Gobert/Jokic
Jones or Bryant/AD/LBJ/Reeves/Williams

Versatility is the Name of the Game
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Watching Ham having the Lakers actually running an offensive system is such a change. I hope that still remains when LeBron and Russ are on the court though.

You bring up a good point. We will find out…
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: