LAKERS -at- KINGS - 10-14-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- KINGS - 10-14-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

A 47-Point Loss. Yuck... Pelinka made sure he got that extension in quickly this preseason.

This was as close to last year’s team as they’ve looked this preseason. Last year, they didn’t look close to winning a game. As they fell behind by 25 in the second quarter, this had that same stink to it.

Part of it is just not having talent that can stay on the floor. AD was out again.

And while we saw Russ come off the bench for the first time, a hamstring injury sent him to the locker room shortly later.

You hoped these last two games your stars would be getting big minutes and building chemistry together. Instead, we saw really none of that in this game. In fact, we ran G-League lineups for a good chunk of the second half.

The Lakers fell 133-86. And guess what? We aren’t ready for the regular season.

LeBron -- -- He’s had a good preseason. He looks ready to go. Outside of LeBron, man it was ugly at times. He was the only one in double digits with 11 points in the first half on 5-10 shooting. To start the second half, he’d move to the corner and let the other guys go to work. The offense floundered badly. Part of it is just not enough talent around him with no AD/Russ at this point. Part of it is we just have no continuity. Guys are building chemistry from the ground up. And there was no chemistry. The Lakers just pulled him as there was little interest from him or the team needing him to do anything. The couple of highlights from LeBron in this game were hitting back-to-back high arching turnarounds from the left side. Nothing but net. The Stats: He had 12 points on 5-11 shooting and 3 boards.

Reaves -- -- I like when he’s got that mix of trying to score and set up teammates versus overly passing. He needs to find a good balance there where he remains a threat offensively. Outside of a stretch by Bryant, only Reaves and LeBron looked like they were able to hang in this game. Defensively, I’m always impressed by Reaves’s constant motor on that end of the floor. He’s always hustling on rotations, he’s playing hard and in the right spots. We had him taking the point of attack defensively for a while, but also mixing it up with bigger players. Ideally, he’s defending the SG, but we need Reaves elsewhere. So this puts him at a bit of a disadvantage at that end instead of playing his natural position. Offensively, some good moments. He had a highlight reel And-1 in the second half where he attacked in transition, took contact, spun in the air and flipped it high over his head and in. He mixed in a couple midrange scores (floater on the baseline and a long pull-up). I believe he also knocked down a three. The Stats: The Action: He had 9 points on 4-5 shooting and 3 boards.

Beverley -- -- Very forgettable game. If I didn’t take notes on everything, I might have forgotten he hit a floater and also drew a charge in transition to get a stop. He’s been pretty sub par talent-wise. I do like the leadership he’s been showing and the team badly needed that last year when things were sideways. Hopefully, he can help hold the line three. The Stats: No stats available.

Jones -- -- Really not a lot of highlights in this one. I did like the sequence where he closed out to the corner to challenge a jumper on one end (not a lot of bigs make that effort), then he drew Fts crashing the glass on the other end. He’s shown some decent passing at times. We really have issues defensively when he challenges shots and we can’t secure the miss behind him. The Stats: No stats available.

Christie -- -- Well, when he’s starting the game, you know we aren’t ready to roll. Reaves found him early cutting baseline for a dunk. He also had another drive and kick back to LeBron who took it for a layup. He struggled to finish on the break or on the dribble. A couple turnovers on drives and a poor finish on another. Just not pretty. The Stats: No stats available.

Westbrook -- -- With 7:27 left in the first quarter, Russ came in off the bench for Christie. He’d hurt the hammy in his lone shift. You know, I guess you can stretch out, warm up, then sit, then come off the bench and hurt yourself. But a ton of vets do that same routine. The impact was so-so. The two threes he missed were both against the shotclock, I’ve got not problem with those. Some good two-man action. First play, he backed his man down in the post, attacked and hit Jones under the hoop for a score. He found Gabriel on our double-drag screen sequence for a dunk. He also found Jones for FTs. The Stats: No stats available.

Nunn -- -- Hit or miss tonight (and really this preseason). Really, though, tonight he was either right or way off. He swished a couple of threes and he airballed a couple of threes. He hasn’t looked as comfortable as he was in the first couple of games. Neither has the team as a whole. The Stats: No stats available.

Bryant -- -- He had a good stretch of high energy ball that helped the team chip the lead down in the first half. He just looked like an NBA caliber player when others didn’t. Good movement weak to strong for an And-1 dunk. Some hustle getting up and down court with speed to give us an advantage (missed a hammer dunk at full speed on one sequence). Good work and he sat dog tired after that shift. The Stats: No stats available.

Toscano-Anderson -- -- I think he’ll make a better impact when we have AD out there and our team D picks up. When we’re just overwhelmed, a role player like him isn’t going to solve anything. He swished a corner three on a kickout and had an illegal screen. The Stats: No stats available.

Swider -- -- He swished a pull-up from midrange. He let a man fly by, took a dribble and hit a three as the other defender closed. He showed decently in the preseason, but didn’t make a strong case for himself. I think his defense was better than expected. It wasn’t great, but it was serviceable. If he can get back to being a deadeye shooter, then that will carry him to some minutes I would think. The two-way will be useful for him to warm up to this next level. The Stats: No stats available.

Ryan -- -- He came in midway through the first quarter. But later in the game knocked down a couple of threes when we were in deep garbage time. The Stats: No stats available.

Harrison -- -- Some good hustle and pressure on D. I can appreciate that in a blowout as the man is trying to show his game. It’s also nice to see when you aren’t getting a lot of that elsewhere. Some wild drives at times, but I like that effort on D. The Stats: No stats available.

Huff -- -- He went up high to flush down an oop in the fourth quarter. He also had a drive off the three line for a score. He finished a dunk when a teammate set him up. Garbage time run. The Stats: No stats available.

Pippen -- -- He broke down the D and fed Huff for a dunk. He stepped back and hit a three on a big on iso. He also had a nice drive, kind of shoving the defender with the ball in his chest to shed him and score the layup. He fumbled away some passes. The Stats: He had 9 points on 3-5 shooting (1-1 from three).

Gabriel -- -- Defensively, a couple of moments being disruptive in the two-man game. One was just a little poke away on a reach that allowed our defender to recover and save a two-on-one opportunity. The other was a pass deflection. Just showing that athleticism and reach on those. Small things, but if you’ve got your act together elsewhere that’s what you want to see from your role players. What you don’t want to see is turning the ball over with sloppy screens. The Laker bigs had some issues with that tonight, including Gabriel. The Stats: No stats available.

Pierre-Louis -- -- Garbage time run. He had an And-1reverse. He threw a kickout out of bounds. He stood in for a charge. He’s known for that feisty D. The Stats: No stats available.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: Probably when AD was ruled out. We had some back and forth where we hung in for a chunk of that first quarter. Then the Kings just started running away with it. We were down 13 after the first.

Key Substitution: Russ off the bench. I didn’t think Ham would try it. Russ seemed to tweak the hammy slightly off the double-drag play we run where he set up Gabriel. With Schröder’s finger injury, we suddenly have our guard depth tested.

Key Stats: Well, we had no boxscore from this one, but I do know AD…0 minutes.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB

TBH I think we might as well punt at this point.

We are not 1 trade away from being a good team unless the player coming back is giannis/steph/jokic/luka while keeping both AD/LBJ.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Thanks DB

TBH I think we might as well punt at this point.

We are not 1 trade away from being a good team unless the player coming back is giannis/steph/jokic/luka while keeping both AD/LBJ.

Yep, this team sucks. We’re not one trade close to anything worth a trade.

Still can’t believe we resigned Robb.

Thanks DB !
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. I was done by the 2nd quarter. I had seen enough, and didn't want this game causing me loss of sleep, lol.

My own analysis...there are some fundamental problems that have plagued us this entire preseason, that are easily identifiable. Lack of defensive rebounding, due to poor block-outs, and not properly tracking/pursuing long rebounds. WAY too many turnovers. What's not as easily identifiable, and what's driving me up a wall, is how our team looks to have forgotten how to play basic basketball, since a promising preseason start. Granted, the lineups have changed consistently, due to various factors. But, that only accounts for so much.

I see stagnant and/or disjointed offense. Lackluster defense. And, atrocious inattention to detail, on both ends of the court. And, what's maddening is, how the Lakers finished the preseason, is the total opposite to how they started. Despite wins/losses, the Lakers looked good. But, instead of building on that good start, the Lakers have seen a seemingly decent foundation crumble in horrendous fashion.

I'm extremely curious as to see how this plays into the regular season.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. This game was total garbage, and I'm a bit more concerned than I was before, but I don't know if we can put total stock into this game.

It seemed the regulars barely played in the second half. In the first quarter when they did play, we were fairly competitive, as we have been for most of the preseason.

Three-point shooting is a concern, although it may not be as bad as it looked the last two games. Our defensive rebounding also needs to be better, as it was a HUGE problem last year.

We've had stretches of good D this preseason, and not having AD really hurts us defensively.

I don't really know what to expect on opening night. I could see us getting blown out, but I could also see us being unexpectedly competitive. It will be ring night for the Warriors, and as we saw a few times during the Kobe era, sometimes there's a letdown on ring night.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Well well, the vibes aren’t great
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject:

So why is there no box score from this game?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB for the writeup

Stopped watching the game halfway through the second quarter

LBJ just getting his minimum reps

Schroeder is injured, might b a number of weeks

Lonnie Walker (probably the third best player) didn't travel to Sacramento

AD didn't travel to Sacramento

Westbrook barely played a few minutes

Seemingly discovered the following

Team has to rely on playing as a team, as its talent level is not as great as most other teams

Need to keep LBJ/AD healthy throughout the season, along with Lonnie Walker

Ryan had Sacremento's attention, hence they constantly was tagging him. With Westbrook, LBJ, AD, Lonnie and Walker not playing - it was hard to get Ryan many opportunities to have clean shots

Jones/Bryant are good for short stints, but not extended PT

Nunn is a streaky shooter

Reeves is a Keeper

This game decided who will be on the G Team and will Ryan get the last roster spot (probably yes).

How will we keep LBJ/AD's MPG around 35?

How long is Schroeder's injury?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:28 am    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:

Something weird was happening with this game. I couldn't get it on LeaguePass (possibly a blessing). ESPN's Gamecast wasn't working, either, and ESPN still doesn't have a box score. NBA.com does have a box score:

https://www.nba.com/game/lal-vs-sac-0012200070/box-score#box-score
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Al13 wrote:

Something weird was happening with this game. I couldn't get it on LeaguePass (possibly a blessing). ESPN's Gamecast wasn't working, either, and ESPN still doesn't have a box score. NBA.com does have a box score:

https://www.nba.com/game/lal-vs-sac-0012200070/box-score#box-score

It was mentioned during one of the games I was watching that there was a league wide problem with the scoreboard and that none of the scoreboards were working.

Anyway that game was extremely wack.

Thanks DB
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I missed this game, I appreciate the recap. Even in the bad games Reaves seems to be a silver lining. Disappointing team performance though. And yeah WB can learn to stay warm on the bench, he's going to need that more and more at this stage of his career.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Thx, DB. Tough times. Your commitment to tracking and documenting such a miserable product is truly commendable.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:

It is so ugly it is censored.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Last year, countless NBA pundits assumed that the Lakers would be in The Finals and they failed

This year's Dodgers, countless MLB pudits assumed that they would be in the World Series - they failed

The 1988 Dodgers were the Bums and won the World Series

This Laker team, on paper, would be lucky to get into the playoffs. Hopefully AD's POV that they are the "Underdogs" will drive LBJ/AD/Westbrook, Ham, Rob and the rest of the team to "Leave It All Out on the Court" since these opportunities don't come very often for most players

For Westbrook, this might be his "Last Hurrah" to have a legitimate chance of being an important factor of going to The Finals. If he is traded, waived, bought out or released - Westbook's NBA obituary will be completed
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: