Scouting Department Moves - Roster Building
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Reaves shooting 50/40/90 and is our boarderline starter.

Wenyen, getting pretty regular minutes and producing.

Christie has gotten some rotational run early in the season and responded positively.

Thomas Bryant (an original Scouting Dept draftee) has returned from his thumb surgery and looks like he is going to contribute.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Reaves shooting 50/40/90 and is our boarderline starter.

Wenyen, getting pretty regular minutes and producing.

Christie has gotten some rotational run early in the season and responded positively.

Thomas Bryant (an original Scouting Dept draftee) has returned from his thumb surgery and looks like he is going to contribute.

Now imagine giving them a first round pick to play with.

We could have had Desmond Bane.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject:

The Lakers continue to pivot towards leveraging their scouting department and more player development.

Last year they brought in a coaching staff suited to a focus on player development, and drafted a 19-year old with their lone pick. They continued that this year, electing to draft two twenty year olds over using their draft capital to bring in a veteran or even drafting a more seasoned college player. Add the three 2-way players (I'm guessing those will be Swider, Castleton, and a third), and you've got six of our possible 18 players in early stage development.

That is notable of course because the team has LeBron James entering his 21st season, and Anthony Davis who is now in his 30s. Still, the team has chosen to trust their scouting department with a significant amount of their available resources ($, draft capital, roster spots).

From the outside...

Quote:
Kevin O'Connor
@KevinOConnorNBA

I love what the Lakers did tonight. JHS can help short term and develop into an important post-LeBron piece. Lewis is great value at 40. Three good undrafted pickups, especially Castleton. Seems they have a good draft every single year.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
The Lakers continue to pivot towards leveraging their scouting department and more player development.

Last year they brought in a coaching staff suited to a focus on player development, and drafted a 19-year old with their lone pick. They continued that this year, electing to draft two twenty year olds over using their draft capital to bring in a veteran or even drafting a more seasoned college player. Add the three 2-way players (I'm guessing those will be Swider, Castleton, and a third), and you've got six of our possible 18 players in early stage development.

That is notable of course because the team has LeBron James entering his 21st season, and Anthony Davis who is now in his 30s. Still, the team has chosen to trust their scouting department with a significant amount of their available resources ($, draft capital, roster spots).

From the outside...

Quote:
Kevin O'Connor
@KevinOConnorNBA

I love what the Lakers did tonight. JHS can help short term and develop into an important post-LeBron piece. Lewis is great value at 40. Three good undrafted pickups, especially Castleton. Seems they have a good draft every single year.

This is the way in the new NBA. Super teams don’t work unless you drafted 2 or 3 of the trio/quartet and they have to be in prime superstars too. The Suns have 1 player that meets that criteria.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject:

It's probably the best approach, especially given the track record of our scouts and player development coaches. Even if you don't expect the players they're developing to become major contributors on a title team, the capital you develop by having quality players on cost controlled deals can be leveraged in other ways (cap, trades).

The challenging part is that it takes time to develop that capital, and LeBron doesn't have much of that left. That isn't to say you can't do deals in the near term. But it takes time for drafted players to become more valuable than the picks used to get them.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
It's probably the best approach, especially given the track record of our scouts and player development coaches. Even if you don't expect the players they're developing to become major contributors on a title team, the capital you develop by having quality players on cost controlled deals can be leveraged in other ways (cap, trades).

The challenging part is that it takes time to develop that capital, and LeBron doesn't have much of that left. That isn't to say you can't do deals in the near term. But it takes time for drafted players to become more valuable than the picks used to get them.

I would argue I that if Bron is that close to the end, nothing else really matters all that much. It was exhausting watching the narrative around Bron getting tired because the games are so close to each other and he needs to rest. It’s like there was a built in excuse for every bad game. Bro! Every great player has to play and can’t take time. This is with the exception of Kwai but even with the Clippers giant payroll, what has he done as a clipper. Like at some point we have to accept that if Bron can’t bring it every night he’s no longer a 1a, however he’s being paid like one. That cripples a team just like any other team that is paying a 1a that’s not a 1a.

Like what could we have got for the 17th pick that’s going to vault us into ez favorites? Buddy? Everyone complained about Dlo in the playoffs specially in the WCF. I don’t think Buddy has even ever been to the playoffs! Who knows if he will be able to produce at all? Oh and if people hated Dlos defense. Wait till they see Buddy. Who else? Some random role player that’s worth the 17th pick is not gonna do a whole lot.

In the end, when the lights are shining brightest, it’s your 1a that needs to shine the brightest. I would argue that against the Nuggets Bron and AD were the 3rd and 4th best players on the floor. Nuggets were very well prepared as well. Oh and they shot out of their mind. Better than other series I believe.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject:

In one of the many “what should we do” threads I was in favor of a soft rebuild and i think that is what’s going on. Don’t trade away vets, just keep the young assets you get. By the time Lebron and AD move on you have the beginnings of a new team.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Ventura, agreed. The soft rebuild was the best outcome and does appear to be what they're doing. Let the scouting and player development crews do their thing, make some shrewd moves to leverage the value that creates while carefully managing your cap. Do that and we should be in great shape for the second half of the decade when we will need to convince a new 1a to come.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject:

We just need 1 or these guys to become a rotation player over the next few years. Between 1 of these, AR, Christie (assuming he can continue to develop into a rotation player), we'll have 3 quality young guys to pair with AD and another star post Lebron. I'm conflicted, a little bummed we didn't find a way to get any impact now guys in the draft(either through trade or otherwise) but mostly glad we're forward looking with these picks instead of dumping them all for impact now.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

I think Miami has shown this approach is effective, making the Finals with seven undrafted players is just unheard of but also a testament to their commitment to developing talent that way.

FO doing a scaled approach to this with the 2-star foundation I think is way forward post-Lebron era.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I would argue I that if Bron is that close to the end, nothing else really matters all that much. It was exhausting watching the narrative around Bron getting tired because the games are so close to each other and he needs to rest. It’s like there was a built in excuse for every bad game. Bro! Every great player has to play and can’t take time. This is with the exception of Kwai but even with the Clippers giant payroll, what has he done as a clipper. Like at some point we have to accept that if Bron can’t bring it every night he’s no longer a 1a, however he’s being paid like one. That cripples a team just like any other team that is paying a 1a that’s not a 1a.

Like what could we have got for the 17th pick that’s going to vault us into ez favorites? Buddy? Everyone complained about Dlo in the playoffs specially in the WCF. I don’t think Buddy has even ever been to the playoffs! Who knows if he will be able to produce at all? Oh and if people hated Dlos defense. Wait till they see Buddy. Who else? Some random role player that’s worth the 17th pick is not gonna do a whole lot.

It's a bit more complex than that. The playoffs isn't just about combining your entire team's NBA2K ratings or PER and whichever team's is higher comes out on top. It's also about minimizing weaknesses that your opponent can attack. For Denver, it was DLO, which was exacerbated by his shooting slump. And to a lesser extent, that was also Schro. Although he gave us better defense (relatively) on Jamal, his subpar shooting forced him more into an on-ball role which effectively took the ball out of our better creators Bron and Reaves. This is probably why Dennis isn't necessarily someone you can close with consistently. He doesn't have the PG instincts to be your primary creator and he isn't consistent enough from 3 to space the floor for Bron/Austin. We played him largely out of necessity and also because he was our best option on Jamal due to Vando being unplayable and Rui being a better option on Jokic and thus taking away Vando's minutes.

You replace DLO or Schro with a player that you can't leave wide open or hunt on the other end it's a different story, even if said player is "inferior". This is why a guy like Markieff Morris was so valuable for us in 2020 despite being largely a fringe rotation player during the season. And this is why someone like DDV probably has greater impact in that series than what DLO and Schro gave us.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

It's a bit more complex than that. The playoffs isn't just about combining your entire team's NBA2K ratings or PER and whichever team's is higher comes out on top. It's also about minimizing weaknesses that your opponent can attack. For Denver, it was DLO, which was exacerbated by his shooting slump. And to a lesser extent, that was also Schro. Although he gave us better defense (relatively) on Jamal, his subpar shooting forced him more into an on-ball role which effectively took the ball out of our better creators Bron and Reaves. This is probably why Dennis isn't necessarily someone you can close with consistently. He doesn't have the PG instincts to be your primary creator and he isn't consistent enough from 3 to space the floor for Bron/Austin. We played him largely out of necessity and also because he was our best option on Jamal due to Vando being unplayable and Rui being a better option on Jokic and thus taking away Vando's minutes.

You replace DLO or Schro with a player that you can't leave wide open or hunt on the other end it's a different story, even if said player is "inferior". This is why a guy like Markieff Morris was so valuable for us in 2020 despite being largely a fringe rotation player during the season. And this is why someone like DDV probably has greater impact in that series than what DLO and Schro gave us.

Hopefully Christie can turn into that kind of player this season, I’m not counting on it but in theory he should be able to have a DDV kind of impact, eventually

DLo is a bit like our Jordan Poole, is a big time shot maker on his day but will always be a risk carrying him through a playoff run. Would be smart to upgrade him eventually (though I think you need to re-sign him nonetheless), but if we can’t, we need to figure out how to work around him
#18 next...
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Max Christie, Maxwell Lewis and Cole Swider shooting together

Three young players between 6’7” to 6’9” who can shoot. They were acquired cumulatively with money, and the 47th pick.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:

Three young players between 6’7” to 6’9” who can shoot. They were acquired cumulatively with money, and the 47th pick.

Cole Swider missed a shot. He is the weakest link, goodbye. I don't make the rules
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:

Cole Swider missed a shot. He is the weakest link, goodbye. I don't make the rules

Max to Max "did you see the 2way brick that three? Sucks to be him"
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
tox wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:

Max to Max "did you see the 2way brick that three? Sucks to be him"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: