LONNIE WALKER IV signs with Nets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Shooting 37% from 3 on high volume as well, hilarious looking back at the comments that he wasn’t gonna be a good 3pt shooter, the crow tastes delicious.

I'd wait longer than 20 games to eat crow. A lot of season left; a lot can happen.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Shooting 37% from 3 on high volume as well, hilarious looking back at the comments that he wasn’t gonna be a good 3pt shooter, the crow tastes delicious.

I'd wait longer than 20 games to eat crow. A lot of season left; a lot can happen.

I think his 3P% jumped from 35 to 37 after yesterdays game. That’s the fun with small sample sizes. It’s true though that thus far he’s been better than expected. If he plays like this all year it’ll be his best season. But consistency has always been the thing with him. Hope he keeps it up.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think his 3P% jumped from 35 to 37 after yesterdays game. That’s the fun with small sample sizes. It’s true though that thus far he’s been better than expected. If he plays like this all year it’ll be his best season. But consistency has always been the thing with him. Hope he keeps it up.

Why wouldn’t it be like this? His shooting form looks beautiful and he was working out all summer long to become a good 3pt shooter, it’s time to admit that Pelinka hit the jackpot with the Walker signing.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

Oh and the narrative that Walker IV was not valued by SA is wrong. The Spurs valued him enough to extend him a qualifying offer. Walker asked them to rescind the QO because he wanted more minutes and exposure so as to up his value; the Spurs did him a solid. . Seems like he made the smart move.

Well, the Spurs didn't value him that much, if they were willing to remove the QO. And obviously no team offered him more than a one-year mMLE, so he wasn't highly valued around the league.

There is a middle-ground between not valuing him and thus not extending him a qualifying offer vs valuing him to the point of offering him an extension.
As the article says they had a glut of SG's and prioritized Keldon Johnson/Vassell etc. over him, which makes sense.
Lastly, he had no use as trade ballast given his small contract, nor was there much of a chance of him elevating his trade value in the future given that Keldon et. al. would get the bulk of the minutes. So they didn't lose much by letting him go, and he gained a lot by finding a team that was so low on talent that they could afford to take a chance on him.
Oh and teams don't go about extending offers to run-of-the-mill restricted free agents unless they have a prior understanding with the player/agents so that's really not of any significance.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Keep him.
Keep Reaves.
Keep TB.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Why wouldn’t it be like this? His shooting form looks beautiful and he was working out all summer long to become a good 3pt shooter, it’s time to admit that Pelinka hit the jackpot with the Walker signing.

You have a long history of being a captive of the moment. If a player on another team has one good game, you want to trade for him immediately. If a Laker has one bad game, you want to get rid of him immediately. You rush to judgment and then change your mind just as quickly.

Some of us prefer to judge players over time, especially if they are performing in a way that is different than how they have historically performed throughout their careers.

Walker has gotten off to a solid start. We all hope he continues it. But, like I said, Walker has been inconsistent through most of his career. It's not inconceivable he could go through a 4 for 30 shooting streak, as he did last year. Heck I believe he started the season with the streak like that.

You want to believe the way he has shot in November will be the new normal for him, and the way he shot in October doesn't count. I hope that is the case, but Walker will need to demonstrate success over a much longer period for me to declare he has become a good three-point shooter
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject:

He shot almost 42% in October with him coming back from the injury he suffered in preseason, he’s finally healthy now and is playing at a very high level to a point that Spurs fans regret not bringing him back, if he starts to struggle then the criticism will be fair but the guy is clearly on a mission this year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
He shot almost 42% in October with him coming back from the injury he suffered in preseason, he’s finally healthy now and is playing at a very high level to a point that Spurs fans regret not bringing him back, if he starts to struggle then the criticism will be fair but the guy is clearly on a mission this year.

I am not criticizing Walker. I am simply not rushing to make a judgment about him based on a small number of games as you are. Perhaps you'll end up being right. Perhaps in 2 weeks you'll disavow your opinion and pretend you never said it.

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Keep him.
Keep Reaves.
Keep TB.

Yup. If Dennis, Gabriel, and Brown Jr want some minimum deals, I'd love to see them return as well.

That's 6 guys I like at varying parts of the rotation.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I am not criticizing Walker. I am simply not rushing to make a judgment about him based on a small number of games as you are. Perhaps you'll end up being right. Perhaps in 2 weeks you'll disavow your opinion and pretend you never said it.

I must be blind or something cause everyone started to praise Walker once people saw his game during the preseason the sample size is pretty large especially since the we are about to be 2 months into the season, I’m pretty sure his 3pt % will drop at some point but the guy has such nice speed and athleticism that he will always put up nice numbers.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

To me, the impressive part is that his defense is not as awful as it was in San Antonio. I wouldn't call him a good defender, but he's been okay. There have been a few times when the other team hunted him, but this seems less frequent.

Otherwise, it seems that people overrate his impact because he makes some flashy plays on offense. Those sorts of plays stick in the memory more than just a simple jump shot or layup. His shooting has been better than expected, but he doesn't contribute much else on offense. As a consequence, the metrics are lukewarm on him. A couple of them actually rate him as a negative on offense. This may correct itself as the dataset gets larger, but in this respect, he sort of reminds me of Jordan Clarkson in his Laker days. Walker has a lot more verticality than Clarkson did, but neither of them had a lot of tools other than shooting.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

Oh and the narrative that Walker IV was not valued by SA is wrong. The Spurs valued him enough to extend him a qualifying offer. Walker asked them to rescind the QO because he wanted more minutes and exposure so as to up his value; the Spurs did him a solid. . Seems like he made the smart move.

Well, the Spurs didn't value him that much, if they were willing to remove the QO. And obviously no team offered him more than a one-year mMLE, so he wasn't highly valued around the league.

There is a middle-ground between not valuing him and thus not extending him a qualifying offer vs valuing him to the point of offering him an extension.
As the article says they had a glut of SG's and prioritized Keldon Johnson/Vassell etc. over him, which makes sense.
Lastly, he had no use as trade ballast given his small contract, nor was there much of a chance of him elevating his trade value in the future given that Keldon et. al. would get the bulk of the minutes. So they didn't lose much by letting him go, and he gained a lot by finding a team that was so low on talent that they could afford to take a chance on him.
Oh and teams don't go about extending offers to run-of-the-mill restricted free agents unless they have a prior understanding with the player/agents so that's really not of any significance.

Johnson certainly makes sense. I haven’t been that familiar with his game but he can play.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Keep him.
Keep Reaves.
Keep TB.

Yup. If Dennis, Gabriel, and Brown Jr want some minimum deals, I'd love to see them return as well.

Agree. We desperately need some continuity.
Changing 90% of your roster every damn year isn't a recipe for success
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject:

Again, the problem is that if he plays this well, you have a hard time retaining him. If you’re over the cap by the start of the offseason, you’d have to use the MLE on him (which of course means you can’t add a player with it), and if you manage to stay under (to hopefully add a high quality player), you’d have to use cap room on him. And if he holds high level, he might get more than MLE, meaning you lose him in scenario one and can’t waste that cap on him in scenario two. The lakers made it likely that the only way he stays is if he doesn’t have MLE level market, meaning he didn’t stay at high performance levels.

As far as Lonnie the player, San Antonio let him walk because he was too inconsistent to tie up much money in and he was t satisfied with the deal they were willing to consider. He’s always flashed talent, sometimes over a month or two, but has t put it together completely. We will see how he does. But if he does, again, it will be pretty much just for this year for us.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Keep him.
Keep Reaves.
Keep TB.

Guys like Dennis, Gabriel, and Brown, are going to go for the most money of course. Dennis may end up getting a better deal than the minimum. The other two guys probably won't
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Keep him.
Keep Reaves.
Keep TB.

And TBJ imo.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Again, the problem is that if he plays this well, you have a hard time retaining him. If you’re over the cap by the start of the offseason, you’d have to use the MLE on him (which of course means you can’t add a player with it), and if you manage to stay under (to hopefully add a high quality player), you’d have to use cap room on him. And if he holds high level, he might get more than MLE, meaning you lose him in scenario one and can’t waste that cap on him in scenario two. The lakers made it likely that the only way he stays is if he doesn’t have MLE level market, meaning he didn’t stay at high performance levels.

As far as Lonnie the player, San Antonio let him walk because he was too inconsistent to tie up much money in and he was t satisfied with the deal they were willing to consider. He’s always flashed talent, sometimes over a month or two, but has t put it together completely. We will see how he does. But if he does, again, it will be pretty much just for this year for us.

Would it be wise to see what they can get for him before he walks so we don’t lose him for nothing like we did with Randle and Lopez? I wonder what the value increase would be if we added him .. say to a Nunn or Beverly deal or a Westbrook deal
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Would it be wise to see what they can get for him before he walks so we don’t lose him for nothing like we did with Randle and Lopez? I wonder what the value increase would be if we added him .. say to a Nunn or Beverly deal or a Westbrook deal

Considering a team wouldn't get his Bird rights and he's an unrestricted free agent next year, Walker probably doesn't have a huge amount of trade value.

While he's having a solid season, it's not like he's experiencing a huge breakout that everyone is talking about.

He might be a modest addition to a deal, but I doubt anyone is going to, say, take him in place of a draft pick, which is the main thing teams want from us.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Remember last year when everyone was thirsting over Poole talking about why we can’t have young players like that? Now both Walker and Reaves are outperforming him significantly lol. This has been a weird season so far to say the least.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject:

How Lonnie Walker Feels About His Decision To Leave San Antonio In Free Agency
https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/how-lonnie-walker-feels-about-his-decision-to-leave-san-antonio-in-free-agency-rks97

Walker enjoying second act in Hollywood

https://headtopics.com/us/walker-enjoying-second-act-in-hollywood-32158205

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Former-Spur-Lonnie-Walker-enjoying-second-act-in-17612637.php?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Kept them in it in the 3rd and caught some fire 🔥
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Reaves
Walker
Trade pickup (with Troy Brown jr as depth)
LBJ
AD

Try stopping that lineup with this version of AD and Lebron.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Dude is probably a consistent offensive game away from becoming a all star even if it’s only for once he has elite athleticism, he has a smooth offensive game and his defense is actually pretty decent.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Walker is a very good #3 option...I'm enjoying the Lakers games now that we have established better roles and more versatility in our offense. I'm on team Lonnie !
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Up to 39% from deep, now. Heard he sat out the 4th because his foot was playing up a bit?

Please keep this man on the team, Pelinka
#18 next...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 21 of 41
Jump to: