Dodgers 2023 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 312, 313, 314  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Bauer for Moustakas? We owe Bauer $22.5M, they owe Moustakas $22M. We gain $500k under the luxury tax. They get Bauer back. We don't have to see him join up with one of the other contenders.

If he's not on the Dodgers this season, I'd be shocked if here weren't on a contending team in October.

He's on the last year of his contract and highly doubtful he signs any kind of extension. That means he's a prime candidate for a second half rental if he starts the season with the Reds or some other crummy team. The Reds (or whoever he starts the season with) would have every reason to trade him for a prospect package at the trade deadline to a team making a post season push.

The Dodgers FO have to basically ask themselves if they're okay with Bauer potentially helping a rival.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ligma Ballz
@ColtsFanGus

Announce Trevor Bauer already yall @Dodgers
1:22 PM

Quote:
BobSports
@BobSports7

There’s only 2 kinds of people

1. Good people
2. People who support Trevor Bauer

1:34 PM

Quote:
Dan Szymborski
@DSzymborski

I kinda feel like the Dodgers are going to the last minute, holding out hope that there's a *huge* news story that breaks so that nobody notices whatever decision they make with Bauer.

1:41 PM

Quote:
Amy Kaplan
@PhotoAmy33

The longer we wait for the announcement, the more I think the Dodgers are keeping Bauer and hope the LA sportswriters will just be stuck in rush-hour traffic.

1:50 PM

Quote:
Randi
@randi9320

I'm fully prepared for the Dodgers to add him to the roster and continue trying to trade him. I will be pleasantly surprised if he's released today. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

2:06 PM

Everyone is antsy.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Bauer DFA'd
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
The Los Angeles Dodgers are designating right-hander Trevor Bauer for assignment, sources tell ESPN.

The Dodgers will eat $22.5 million. Bauer can sign with any major league team for the $720,000 minimum and can play immediately after completing a record-long suspension.
4:14 PM · Jan 6, 2023

Expected.

See what team scoops him up now

Glad it's over though.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Quote:

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
The Los Angeles Dodgers are designating right-hander Trevor Bauer for assignment, sources tell ESPN.

The Dodgers will eat $22.5 million. Bauer can sign with any major league team for the $720,000 minimum and can play immediately after completing a record-long suspension.

Expected.

Glad it's over though.

Yeah finally we can move one.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Weak arse move by dodgers. Now watch either Giants or Padres gladly scoop him up for cheap. Dodgers are already thin in starting pitching, now just gift wrap a 31 year old cy young candidate to some rival team. This Dodger front office and ownership is weak, and their players share that sentiment comes postseason time.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Weak arse move by dodgers. Now watch either Giants or Padres gladly scoop him up for cheap. Dodgers are already thin in starting pitching, now just gift wrap a 31 year old cy young candidate to some rival team. This Dodger front office and ownership is weak, and their players share that sentiment comes postseason time.

This isn't about weakness, nor is it about worrying how Bauer might do with another team. They don't want him representing the organization. I can't see the Giants as a fit, personally, given Bauer's DV ties and since they went through something with one of their club executives a couple of years ago, right? And of course, San Francisco is even more liberal than Los Angeles is, so I don't think that would fly up there.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject:

speak volumes of the Dodgers lack of commitment to winning.. they are just doing things based on PR.. hopefully, PR can throw a nasty fastball.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
speak volumes of the Dodgers lack of commitment to winning.. they are just doing things based on PR.. hopefully, PR can throw a nasty fastball.

When you win the WS, no one cares how you get there and who’s on your roster. Just ask the Astros, 2017 seems way behind them and rest of the league certainly have moved on.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/1611527364755992576/photo/1

Interesting, if true
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Bauer released a statement where he claims that he met with Dodgers leadership yesterday in Arizona and he says that he was told that the Dodgers wanted him to pitch for the team this season, implying that they must have changed their minds. He also says he's grateful for the support he received in the clubhouse from players. It was also shown on Twitter that Brusdar Graterol "liked" the Dodgers statement. When it comes to Bauer, who knows if he's telling the truth.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Bauer released a statement where he claims that he met with Dodgers leadership yesterday in Arizona and he says that he was told that the Dodgers wanted him to pitch for the team this season, implying that they must have changed their minds. He also says he's grateful for the support he received in the clubhouse from players. It was also shown on Twitter that Brusdar Graterol "liked" the Dodgers statement. When it comes to Bauer, who knows if he's telling the truth.

Yep. We just don't need this type of drama this upcoming season. Reports suggest some are okay with him coming back and some are not. Just way too much drama if you ask me.

Besides we don't even know how effective he will be this year. I am sure he worked out during the suspension (besides pitching to bunch of high school kids on Youtube) but he hasn't faced a legit mlb bat in over a year.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Bottom line, what have the dodger front office done this off season to improve the club besides losing rotation players left and right? They must be very confident we have a WS contender on hand.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Baseball is the hardest sport to win in with the most randomness in the post season. Since Guggenheim took over, we've been in contention every single season as the best franchise in baseball, spent the most money by far, and won once (should have been twice). I trust this FO to make the best moves to put us in that position every single year.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
Quote:

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

Expected.

Glad it's over though.

Yeah finally we can move one.

They did the right thing, which isn’t always the easiest or most convenient thing. They got into business with someone they never should have gotten into business with and got burned. Glad we can move on and glad he won’t wear the uniform again.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Bottom line, what have the dodger front office done this off season to improve the club besides losing rotation players left and right? They must be very confident we have a WS contender on hand.

This is kind of a reset and assessment year, while still having World Series aspirations. I have no doubt that we wanted to get under the CBT threshold, which we've apparently done, or will be able to do pretty easily given where we are right now. This will allow us to spend lavishly again next season, not to mention gets us more financial freedom to spend on international prospects and to not lose picks early in the draft. We have a lot of quality prospects who might be ready for big league roles, and we're going to see if some of them can be big pieces of the team moving forward. After the season starts, if it looks like the roster has too many holes this year, management can still try to fill those holes with trades. And then going to next year, we'll have a better idea of which of the young guys we can count on moving forward, which holes we may need to fill, and we can attack free agency hard if we want to, with the obvious top target being Ohtani.

We spent like crazy over the last 2 seasons, won like crazy in the regular season, and it got us one playoff series win (plus the Wild Card game win in '21). Who's to say that a more relaxed approach this year couldn't work, even if we don't win 110+ games, or even 100 games?
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Ill always root for my Dodgers. But if the Dodgers dont win, I hope Bauer pitches his team to a WS victory.....you know similar to Aroldis winning with the 2016 Cubs after the Dodgers panicked in not acquiring him due to the dreaded PR issues. Give me winners on the Dodgers.....not choir boys. Give me Trevor Bauer over a choir boy mental weakling like Gonsolin. But Bauer is a turd.....if it was just that San Diego slut Lindsey Hill, I would be 100% team Bauer but the fact that 2 others spoke out against him, lets me know he is a turd.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Guess even management is writing off the 2023 season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Ill always root for my Dodgers. But if the Dodgers dont win, I hope Bauer pitches his team to a WS victory.....you know similar to Aroldis winning with the 2016 Cubs after the Dodgers panicked in not acquiring him due to the dreaded PR issues. Give me winners on the Dodgers.....not choir boys. Give me Trevor Bauer over a choir boy mental weakling like Gonsolin. But Bauer is a turd.....if it was just that San Diego slut Lindsey Hill, I would be 100% team Bauer but the fact that 2 others spoke out against him, lets me know he is a turd.

In that 2016 postseason, Chapman blew a save against us in the NLCS (Adrian Gonzalez tying hit) and blew the save in Game 7 of the World Series, too (Rajai Davis homer). They did win both of those games, but he was hardly dominant.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not quite sure how to respond, so I won't.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Trust me there will be teams that are willing pick up his services. They sense weakness in the Dodgers and were biding their time.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Baseball is the hardest sport to win in with the most randomness in the post season. Since Guggenheim took over, we've been in contention every single season as the best franchise in baseball, spent the most money by far, and won once (should have been twice). I trust this FO to make the best moves to put us in that position every single year.

Agree 100%. I always felt that Baseball was the one sport where home field, seeding or having the "best player in the league" didn't matter to win the World Series title.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject:

This site has our CBT at $231M:

Quote:
Dodgers 2023 payroll, for competitive balance tax purposes

Arbitration Estimates (10 players):
1) Will Smith.................$5.2M
2) Trayce Thompson.......$1.7M
3) Julio Urías.................$13.7M
4) Tony Gonsolin............$3.5M
5) Dustin May................$1.4M
6) Evan Phillips..............$1.4M
7) Yency Almonte...........$1M
8) Brusdar Graterol.........$1.2M
9) Caleb Ferguson...........$1.1M
10) Walker Buehler.........$8.1M

Players under contract:

1) Mookie Betts..............$25.5M
2) Freddie Freeman.........$24.7M
3) Clayton Kershaw.........$20M

4) Chris Taylor...............$15M
5) Max Muncy................$13.5M
6) Noah Syndergaard......$13M
7) J.D. Martinez..............$10M

8) Blake Treinen.............$8M
9) Daniel Hudson............$6.5M
10) Austin Barnes...........$3.5M
11) Shelby Miller.............$1.5M

12) Gavin Lux..................$750k
13) Miguel Vargas............$750k
14) James Outman............$750k
15) Jake Amaya................$750k
16) Yonny Hernández.........$750k
17) Alex Vesia LHP.............$750k
18) Phil Bickford................$750k
19) J.P. Feyereisen.............$750k

Trevor Bauer.....................$24.5M

Minor leaguers on 40-man...$2.5M
Team benefit costs..............$16.75M
Pre-arb bonus pool..............$1.67M

Totals..............................$231M

https://www.truebluela.com/2023/1/6/23539420/dodgers-payroll-2023-competitive-balance-tax-trevor-bauer-gone

As I understand it, whoever picks up Bauer and whatever they pay him, we get to subtract that amount from our CBT.

So, at least $750k off our CBT.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject:

It is a bizarre situation.

I don't blame the Dodgers for not wanting to hitch their image to a guy like this, although it is frustrating that they have paid him millions for not pitching and now some other team will get him pitching for nothing and it will probably hurt us on the field.

But I get where the Dodgers are coming from, sometimes you need to take a stand.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
It is a bizarre situation.

I don't blame the Dodgers for not wanting to hitch their image to a guy like this, although it is frustrating that they have paid him millions for not pitching and now some other team will get him pitching for nothing and it will probably hurt us on the field.

But I get where the Dodgers are coming from, sometimes you need to take a stand.

Yeah, I don't think they're taking a stand at all. I really don't know what their opinion is of what Bauer did. I just know they don't want to take the PR hit.

It's like the kneeling issue in the NFL. I don't really know what the NFL's stance on that was. But people didn't like it and ratings were falling. The NFL wanted it gone, and they came up with a solution - no one comes out for the anthem, thus, no one can kneel. That took care of the problem. But, the NFL didn't really take a stand.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/01/06/dodgers-decision-part-ways-trevor-bauer/11004427002/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 2 of 314
Jump to: