LAKERS -at- KINGS – 1-7-23 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- KINGS – 1-7-23 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Still on the road so I can’t cover this one. Watched it on my phone. Great team win. Bryant was a beast. Bron unstoppable at the rim. Russ setting the table. Schroder was just money all game but huge with that steal and that last drive to draw FTs.

Bron kept hunting Sabonis and finally caught him at the end. Fox right now is one of the best in the fourth quarters this season. Lakers should have made him a passer earlier in the fourth. When they sent the help on him I think on just one defensive stand late they got the Kings in trouble. Needed a little more of that.

Overall, great win. Post your post-game thoughts here!
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Analysis:

Both teams played hard.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Analysis, the good guys won
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Die, Queens, die!

Viva 2002!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:54 am    Post subject:

As Big Game James said, both teams played at playoff level and didn't want to lose

As DB stated, maybe they could have doubleteamed Fox more. Given that Sabonis was hot in their numerous P&R, not sure if that would have worked. Changing up the coverages on Fox might have worked, but when the Lakers went into a zone - Fox made a straight line path to the rim.

Bryant was seeking rebounds, instead of waiting. Haven't seen Mo Bamba or Myles Turner displayed that much "dawg" to get offensive boards for second changes and making every shot from the rim to 10' out.

Schroeder is showing that he is just as efficient (if not more) than Hield and he plays D much better than Hield.

As bad as the season started, they are only 1 1/2 game from 6th and 2 games away from 5th in the WC.

With Reeves, LW4, Thomas and AD out, players knew they were going to get extended PT and laid it all out on the floor - as seen by Bryant when he was out of breath when he was being interviewed after the game

Lakers having the third most home games till the end of the season, things could change if we stay consistent
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:09 am    Post subject:

Lakers are proving they have the foundation to be a really good team when healthy. If we just had one or two two-way forwards who are 6-foot-8 or 6-foot-9 maybe we'd have a shot at competing for the world championship.
fakethefunk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject:

If successful, the Lakers are changing the game by driving to the basket,
Playing in the paint and not relying solely on the three point shot.
This is actually pretty refreshing to watch.

KOBE BRYANT
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject:

fakethefunk wrote:

Me too..I get tired of teams just shooting three point shots all game. Feels a little more like "old school" basketball.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject:

Lebron/Russ/DS are attacking the rim like crazy, settling for way less 3s.
A big man should not be a priority now with the way TB and Wenyen are playing.
We need a deadeye shooter or a taller wing that can actually play.

Pat Bev has been pretty good lately, making a lot of open 3s, but unfortunately, if we have to make the contract match in a trade, he might be the only option.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject:

Dennis (27 pt on 8-11 FG)

TB (29 pts on 12-14 FG)

That's insane
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Lakers are proving they have the foundation to be a really good team when healthy. If we just had one or two two-way forwards who are 6-foot-8 or 6-foot-9 maybe we'd have a shot at competing for the world championship.

I know who they play for but two players that fit that description are Batum & maybe Kuzma.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject:

Sad to say but it’s finally good to beat the Kings. But any road win is a good win.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
fakethefunk wrote:
Me too..I get tired of teams just shooting three point shots all game. Feels a little more like "old school" basketball.
In his interview, Ham shared that the team is focusing on its strengths (scoring in the paint) as oppose to what others want to be (3pt shooting team) that is contrary to how this team is constructed

As Lebron mentioned, he is envisioning a lineup of AD, himself and Bryant that can compete against any team in the NBA.

With Gabriel coming off the bench, with LW4/Reeves/Thomas coming off the bench and getting comfortable in their respective roles - team is starting to find its identity

Team’s (again) biggest question is to how to successfully deal with AD’s injury-prone issues like other teams

Kwahi (plus PG) has been unsuccessful even with a HC (Lue) that many say is one of the best yet they got totally blown out with an entirely healthy roster. Balmer spent a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$ for a few years.

Gobert and KAT has been unsuccessful (they are behind the Lakers) after they pushed in all their chips (players, draft choices and $$$$$$$) to win this season.

Warriors have been having a completely uneven season and has needed Curry to rescue them when he was healthy. Since Thompson (a good guy) is still trying rediscover the magic to be great consistently and being healthy

If Greek Freak was injured, with Middleton still not healthy????, where would the Bucks be at

If Luka was injured . . . well the answer is obvious

Same scenario if KD, Ja or Jokic were injured

Hopefully, learning how to successfully play without AD (translation: winning), it will give confidence to the HC to AD to the entire team that AD/LBR don’t have to consistently play 35-40 MPG.

When AD returns, will Gabriel be that missing 6’6”-6’9” SF that people are clamoring for?

Is Schroeder the shooter that people are clamoring for

Ham has found players that run with Westbrook - Bryant, Gabriel, Schroeder, Reeves, Thomas and Christie (who has played well during critical times, plus he could be that missing lengthy SF)

Ham’s mindset to be together, competitive, aggressive and play D (that triggers their offense) is starting to be seen for longer length of time. As LBJ stated - it takes time for a completely new roster and coaches to find its identity, especially since the team has had 21 different starting lineups
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
fakethefunk wrote:
In his interview, Ham shared that the team is focusing on its strengths (scoring in the paint) as oppose to what others want to be (3pt shooting team) that is contrary to how this team is constructed

As Lebron mentioned, he is envisioning a lineup of AD, himself and Bryant that can compete against any team in the NBA.

With Gabriel coming off the bench, with LW4/Reeves/Thomas coming off the bench and getting comfortable in their respective roles - team is starting to find its identity

Team’s (again) biggest question is to how to successfully deal with AD’s injury-prone issues like other teams

Kwahi (plus PG) has been unsuccessful even with a HC (Lue) that many say is one of the best yet they got totally blown out with an entirely healthy roster. Balmer spent a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$ for a few years.

Gobert and KAT has been unsuccessful (they are behind the Lakers) after they pushed in all their chips (players, draft choices and $$$$$$$) to win this season.

Warriors have been having a completely uneven season and has needed Curry to rescue them when he was healthy. Since Thompson (a good guy) is still trying rediscover the magic to be great consistently and being healthy

If Greek Freak was injured, with Middleton still not healthy????, where would the Bucks be at

Hopefully, learning how to successfully play without AD (translation: winning), it will give confidence to the HC to AD to the entire team that AD/LBR don’t have to consistently play 35-40 MPG.

When AD returns, will Gabriel be that missing 6’6”-6’9” SF that people are clamoring for?

Ham has found players that run with Westbrook - Bryant, Gabriel, Schroeder, Reeves, Thomas and Christie (who has played well during critical times, plus he could be that missing lengthy SF)

Ham’s mindset to be together, competitive, aggressive and play D (that triggers their offense) is starting to be seen for longer length of time. As LBJ stated - it takes time for a completely new roster and coaches to find its identity, especially since the team has had 21 different starting lineups
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
fakethefunk wrote:

I haven’t been playing close attention so I was surprised to read that the Warriors went from 12th place in the West to 6th in a week. They are still the team to beat.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject:

It's apparent that the team is finding out the way they play best. We stagnate when there's too much iso play which fortunately is at a minimum. That said:

Schroder- the man is ballin'. He's always been cat quick, and now with his jumper falling he's a problem for the opposition.

Bryant- I'm attached to this guy because he's not only playing well, but he was our draft pick coming out of Indiana U. His sweet spot is that free throw line area. That's perfect when the opponent is using a zone because as Stu says:"the weakest part of the zone is in the middle of the floor. LeBron has already stated that he's "already envisioning a James/Bryant/Davis frontcourt". Love it!!!

Westbrook-I'm one of those who has heartily criticized the trade for RW. I have to admit he gives us that level of play for AD & James that no one else can. Other than his to's I love his play.

JTA- hustler, fast break option

Nunn- his jumper is falling again. He and Schroder form a smallish (glad we have Reaves in case they're overmatched) but effective backcourt at times because both can spread the floor and handle the ball.

Gabriel- I love this guy's length, huistle and ability to challenge shots and rebounding. He gave Bam problems in the Miami game with his length, and helps us a great deal as far competing with size.

Beverley- Personally, I believe that both James and Beverley had the same issue at the beginning of the season. The issue is age. It's taken both of them a bit of time to get that rhythm back. I think his play will improve as the season goes along.

Brown jr- his game is so quiet. He doesn't standout for any particular ability. What he does give us is size at the wing position. I'd love to see a more offensively aggressive version of this young man's game.

Christie- I forgot about this young man. I love the clay we have to shape and develop. He's going to be a good one. I've been saying this even when his shot wasn't falling. He's long, intelligent, and his jumper is improving significantly. I love the length he gives us to play against the 1's & 2's and 3's.

DB, the effort, time, and attention to detail it takes to write the summaries for games is some serious work. Makes folks like me appreciate your work even more!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
fakethefunk wrote:

I haven’t been playing close attention so I was surprised to read that the Warriors went from 12th place in the West to 6th in a week. They are still the team to beat.
With the 6th place Clippers at 21-20 having a record of 4-6 in the last ten games to the 11th place Lakers at 19-21 having a record of 6-4 in the last ten games - there are 6 teams from the Clipper to the Lakers

Warriors are 20-20 having a record of 6-4 in the last ten games (with Curry being injured and Thompson in the process of regaining his form)

Suns are 20-21 having a record of 1-9 in the last ten games

Kings are 20-18 having a record of 4-6 in the last ten games in 5th place and Utah Jazz (20-23 having a record of 3-7 in the last tne games) / Thunder (18-22 having a record of 6-4 in the last ten games) in 12th/13th place - there are 8 teams with only 3 losses separating from top to bottom

8-2 records in the last ten games include Nuggets and Mavs, with Sun and Rockets having 1-9 records in the last ten games - it has been a topsy turvy season.

Are there any top-tier teams in the Western Conference that a completely healthy Laker team playing at a level they are playing at now (and higher with AD) in a playoff series - don't think so
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I know who they play for but two players that fit that description are Batum & maybe Kuzma.

Batum would be great, but Kuzma isn't a good enough 3-point shooter.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Batum would be great, but Kuzma isn't a good enough 3-point shooter.
Realistically, Reeves (plus other like Gabriel and Bryant to make the deal work - they will NOT take Jones or Nunn) would have be part of any deal with the Clippers - if they would even deal with the Lakers.

Is Batum or Kuzma a "Needle Mover?"
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
fakethefunk wrote:

With the 6th place Clippers at 21-20 having a record of 4-6 in the last ten games to the 11th place Lakers at 19-21 having a record of 6-4 in the last ten games - there are 6 teams from the Clipper to the Lakers

Warriors are 20-20 having a record of 6-4 in the last ten games (with Curry being injured and Thompson in the process of regaining his form)

Kings are 20-18 having a record of 4-6 in the last ten games in 5th place and Utah Jazz (20-23 having a record of 3-7 in the last tne games) / Thunder (18-22 having a record of 6-4 in the last ten games) in 12th/13th place - there are 8 teams with only 3 losses separating from top to bottom

8-2 records in the last ten games include Nuggets and Mavs, with Sun and Rockets having 1-9 records in the last ten games - it has been a topsy turvy season.

Are there any top-tier teams in the Western Conference that a completely healthy Laker team playing at a level they are playing at now (and higher with AD) in a playoff series - don't think so

It’s January. In December the list would have been long, it is way too premature to worry about the playoffs.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
fakethefunk wrote:

It’s January. In December the list would have been long, it is way too premature to worry about the playoffs.
Agree

My main point is that the Lakers are actually in playoff contention despite their god awful start of the season.

After the All Star Break, games will have added tension and pressure
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: