RIP David Crosby

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: RIP David Crosby

RIP to one of the greats. Such monumental presence in rock and just all around intriguing talent and man. I'm fortunate to have seen him in a few different contexts: The full CSNY, CSN, in arenas and small venues like the Greek; and also at a little elementary school in Santa Monica Canyon with the band Venice . . . also solo. Always a pleasure, and he always delivered. Also used to see him back in the day when I was a kid hanging around Laurel Canyon. Always one of my favorite characters in rock.

As anyone who is of an age and has read the various autobiographies by those he worked with and interviews with them and himself, he was one of a kind in personality. A bit of an ahole, but respected and loved by his peers. Total player with the women, survived many years of drug and alcohol abuse, surrogate father to Bonnie Raits kid, sailed around the world . . . the list goes on and in with all kids of interesting facts about his life.

And the songs and music he made are iconic to the sounds of the '60's and '70s. What a powerhouse and force.

David Crosby, Byrds and Crosby, Stills & Nash Co-Founder, Dies at 81

Singer-songwriter-guitarist David Crosby, a founding member of two popular and enormously influential ’60s rock units, the Byrds and Crosby, Stills & Nash (later Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young), has died. He was 81 years old.

His wife released a statement to Variety, writing, “It is with great sadness after a long illness, that our beloved David (Croz) Crosby has passed away. He was lovingly surrounded by his wife and soulmate Jan and son Django. Although he is no longer here with us, his humanity and kind soul will continue to guide and inspire us. His legacy will continue to live on through his legendary music. Peace, love, and harmony to all who knew David and those he touched. We will miss him dearly. At this time, we respectfully and kindly ask for privacy as we grieve and try to deal with our profound loss. Thank you for the love and prayers.”

With bandmates Roger McGuinn, Gene Clark, Chris Hillman and Michael Clarke, Crosby set down the template for ’60s L.A. folk-rock in the Byrds during his stormy 1964-67 tenure in the group.

Bonding with Stephen Stills of Buffalo Springfield and Graham Nash of the Hollies amid the glitter of L.A.’s late-’60s Laurel Canyon scene, Crosby launched CS&N, whose multi-platinum 1968 debut inaugurated rock’s supergroup era.

The addition of another volatile member, Stills’ erstwhile Buffalo Springfield colleague Neil Young, added to the act’s commercial luster. However, a constant clash of egos within Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, fueled by the rock excesses of the era, toppled the act during the ’70s, though its members would regroup sporadically over the years as a recording and touring unit. Crosby’s most stable association was with Nash: The duo recorded and toured regularly into the new millennium.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Damn, that one hurts.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
nd also at a little elementary school in Santa Monica Canyon with the band Venice

It occurs to me that somewhere around, I have a few pictures of my daughter and a couple her friends dancing in front of the stage with him playing from that fundraiser when they were about 3. . . going to have to dig those up.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Damn, that one hurts.

As you know, Graham Nash was here to play on the island a few months back. Those guys always reminisced and told stories when they performed, and Nash had some good ones about sailing around with Crosby back in the day.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject:

When you consider the first real gig those guys did as a band was Woodstock, you know they were bound for glory. Just a surreal harmony, and then add in Neil…
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Lived a good, hard life.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I believe it was Melissa Etheridge, not Bonnie Raitt, as far as his serving as a "mystery" father at the time. In any case, RIP.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject:

RIP. 🎸 💐
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I believe it was Melissa Etheridge, not Bonnie Raitt, as far as his serving as a "mystery" father at the time. In any case, RIP.

You are 100% correct. In back of my mind I was thinking I was wrong as I typed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

You are 100% correct. In back of my mind I was thinking I was wrong as I typed.

It’s entirely possible he practiced with Bonnie…
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Almost the same date that Glenn Fry passed away. Crosby was similar to Paul Walker in that it wasn’t unusual seeing him just hanging out in Santa Barbara. I was pretty young when CSN and then CSNY were in their heyday, I was more into guitar riffs. As I grew up I began to respect their sound, especially their lyrics. RIP.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject:

CNN

(David Crosby, legendary singer and songwriter, dead at 81)

Quote:
David Crosby, a folk rock pioneer and one of the founding members of The Byrds and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, has died, his family. He was 81.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Almost the same date that Glenn Fry passed away. Crosby was similar to Paul Walker in that it wasn’t unusual seeing him just hanging out in Santa Barbara. I was pretty young when CSN and then CSNY were in their heyday, I was more into guitar riffs. As I grew up I began to respect their sound, especially their lyrics. RIP.

I discovered CSNY at a pretty early age. My dad was a classical music guy, and he an s-ton of classical records, but he had this one section of the shelves that was for the "other" stuff. I used to to go that section as a young kid and pull out The Beatles and some of the other more contemporary stuff. There are two albums I will always remember the time I spotted them and pulled them out to listen, and both times I was sucked in and hooked. One was "The Who's Next", because why wouldn't a 9 year old be drawn to an album with 4 guys who has just take a leak on a giant monolith? The other was a brown, rusticy looking album with what looked like an old-timey photo of a bunch of Civil War guys, but who were clearly hippy musicians . . . CSNY's Deja Vu . . . that album had everything, hard rocking, soulful harmonies, soaring ballads, poppy songs . . . it was an immediate favorite.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I saw CSN several times and David solo a few times and always enjoyed it.

Lived a full rock star life for sure and I am assuming had few regrets.

RIP David Crosby...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
When you consider the first real gig those guys did as a band was Woodstock, you know they were bound for glory. Just a surreal harmony, and then add in Neil…

No kidding, can you imagine that as a first gig?

And they killed it of course.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I saw CSN several times and David solo a few times and always enjoyed it.

Lived a full rock star life for sure and I am assuming had few regrets.

RIP David Crosby...

And no apologies. Interestingly enough, for a guy who was a well established womanizer who made no excuses for that and other behavior that tested relationships, he had a feud with Neil Young and was no longer speaking to him because Neil left his longtime wife for Daryl Hannah.

Crosby was a complex and puzzling dude for sure.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP David Crosby

DaMuleRules wrote:
RIP to one of the greats. Such monumental presence in rock and just all around intriguing talent and man. I'm fortunate to have seen him in a few different contexts: The full CSNY, CSN, in arenas and small venues like the Greek; and also at a little elementary school in Santa Monica Canyon with the band Venice

You got to see him with Venice? Damn....jealous!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP David Crosby

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
RIP to one of the greats. Such monumental presence in rock and just all around intriguing talent and man. I'm fortunate to have seen him in a few different contexts: The full CSNY, CSN, in arenas and small venues like the Greek; and also at a little elementary school in Santa Monica Canyon with the band Venice

You got to see him with Venice? Damn....jealous!

Yeah. It was pretty crazy. My wife and I were just reminiscing about it. We took our young children because elementary school fundraiser, right? But it was that day that made us realize we should expose our kids to great live music when we could. It paid off. Both of our kids love all kinds of music and I am blown away by how much appreciation and knowledge they have for music from our era and before and after. I mentioned that to my son once and he said “of course. You and mom always took us to so many great shows.”
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm still processing this one and I realized that one of the times I saw him was when Crosby Stills and Nash were scheduled to play at The Greek Theater just a couple of days after 9/11. At first it sounded like the show would be cancelled, but then we heard that the show would actually happen. Of course it was a tense event going in as fans headed in and security tried to figure out how to do their thing in the aftermath. And then the guys took the stage, and Graham Nash took the mic and said something to the effect of that they were going to cancel the show, but then they discussed it and they realized that the one thing that always got them through the tough times was music, so they decided they needed to do the show. At that point, through the somber silence, woman yelled "THANK YOU!" . . . and the show was on . . . and what a cathartic show it was.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject:

I saw CSN as well in the late 70s (Greek or Forum) -- RIP DC

See "Echo in the Canyon" featuring Jakob Dylan
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Damn, that one hurts.

Indeed. I actually shed a few tears when I found out. CSNY were part of t he soundtrack of my youth. Then there was the summer I saw Crosby and Nash in concert, which was fantastic, especially when they brought out Art Garfunkel to harmonize with them. A few weeks later I saw Stills at the Bowl. (bleep) me, where has the time gone.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: