LAKERS -at- WARRIORS - 2-11-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject:

Finally a thoughts and ratings I can read without crying. Printing this out and hanging it on my wall.

Great win with lots of things to build on! Lets do it again
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Finally a thoughts and ratings I can read without crying. Printing this out and hanging it on my wall.

Great win with lots of things to build on! Lets do it again

Welp, I will try not to rehash some of the issues we used to have (and now don’t) too many times. But there will be some natural comparisons to be made in style and tactics before moving on. Then we can leave the past fully behind us.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject:

DB I'm so happy to read this. Hope you really enjoyed writing it!

I'm in the minority here but I don't feel like AD struggled on offense. I counted 6 shot attempts where he definitively got fouled and there was no call. That's 6 less shot attempts and 12 more FTs in my book.

Also what you said DB can't be overstated.

GS was 21 and 6 at home. They are the champs. They have been playing in this system for years and playing together. Their motion, multi option offense is beautiful to watch and damn hard to defend.

We haven't even practiced together yet...and it felt like we w hard control of the game most of the way. I feel like if Vando and Dlo played against the Bucks we may have won that too.

What impressed me most was the defense...only 2 blown assignments that I saw, one Dlo on Klay for a 3, the other Rui getting lost for another 3 by J Green I think...

That was a huge win last night. I have no idea how Rob pulled this off, but we dont need 3 stars.

#BannersOverBillboards
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject:

For those who missed the game and didn't see the young fan's reaction when LeBron sat next to her--and even if you did see it, it is worth a second look:

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1624586197589688322
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject:

First game after all star break.. GSW at Crypto Thu 23rd
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
I'm in the minority here but I don't feel like AD struggled on offense. I counted 6 shot attempts where he definitively got fouled and there was no call. That's 6 less shot attempts and 12 more FTs in my book.

GS was 21 and 6 at home. They are the champs. They have been playing in this system for years and playing together. Their motion, multi option offense is beautiful to watch and damn hard to defend.
Props to Rob for remaking the team and KUDOS to DB for his infintissimal patience!!!

Dubs were crowding DB and limiting his airspace. MVP AD would have moved quicker, stronger and with mean intentions - hopefully, he is just getting into NBA shape.

As I watch the game, many times AD is just floating on the perimeter with no purpose except to watch. If he is Da Dawg (especially with a short team like the Dubs), maybe next time he will impose his will on the opposition. In MVP AD, her rarely took 3pt shots, as oppose to the last game

If not, he should focus his energies on D (that is invaluable) while the team goes to others for offense from others (like last night). With DS, DLo, Beasley, Rui and Reeves as options - we still have an available winning formula(s)
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
For those who missed the game and didn't see the young fan's reaction when LeBron sat next to her--and even if you did see it, it is worth a second look:

I saw it while the game was in progress. Her response was absolutely priceless! Now, to the game:

DLO- the mature version of this young man is so pleasant to the eyes. He plays at a pace much slower, but effective, than his predecessor. He's the perfect complement as a shooter, a passer, and limiting the turnovers (3). He also plays solid defense.

Schroder- really solid. Not afraid of the moment. His quickness makes for a dangerous and effective weapon. Plus, he covers the smaller guards better than anyone we have.

Reaves- he, for me at least, is so enjoyable to watch. He plays basketball that complements any team, player or organiztion. His defense on Klay was more than good, and his shot always feels like it's going in. His ballhandling alongside Russell and Dennis is real good. You lock him up for as long as possible because he will always represent us well.

AD- I think we have to keep in mind that he's still not in tiptop shape. Of course his injuries will always affect his ability to stay in great shape. Was getting wacked w/o the call. Sometimes that's a good thing because playing through everything he can't control makes him a little meaner on defense.

Vanderbilt- A wing with size!!!- he's simpy a player. Fun as hell to watch. That left-handed angle makes him look crafty, which he is, and tricky at the same time. A stud athlete. What I'm really anxious to see is him and Bamba on the court at the same time. A defense of AD, Bamba, Vanderbilt, LeBron and either Reaves or Schroder can make some serious strides to us making a push for the playoffs. Super grateful to have acquired him.

Hachimura- Another wing with size!!!!- he's still a very positive addition to the team because he brings size, shooting, strength, and he's a humble guy. I'm sure we'd like to see him be more aggressive, but that's easier said than done when your fitting in with the likes of James, Davis and the rest.

Walker IV- a gifted athlete whose still finding his way. He can obviously shoot the ball, and his drives to the hoop makes us hold our breath for a bit to see what he will do. The main area I would love to see this young improve in is his defensive aggressiveness.

Beasley- keep shooting the rock! He's s threat everytime he shoots the ball. That's value in itself. Hopefully he really relaxes and let the game come to a bit more.

Brown jr- he has an ultra-quiet game to me. He had zero steals and zero blocks in twenty one minutes. He plays a safe, make no waves kind of game. Almost invisible at times. He does bring size for us at the 2/3.

Come on down Bamba! Bring that 7' & 7'10 wingspan frame to the frontcourt and hopefully make sweet defensive music with AD!

Thanks DB! We appreciate your work!
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

Props to Rob for remaking the team and KUDOS to DB for his infintissimal patience!!!

Dubs were crowding DB and limiting his airspace. MVP AD would have moved quicker, stronger and with mean intentions - hopefully, he is just getting into NBA shape.

As I watch the game, many times AD is just floating on the perimeter with no purpose except to watch. If he is Da Dawg (especially with a short team like the Dubs), maybe next time he will impose his will on the opposition. In MVP AD, her rarely took 3pt shots, as oppose to the last game

If not, he should focus his energies on D (that is invaluable) while the team goes to others for offense from others (like last night). With DS, DLo, Beasley, Rui and Reeves as options - we still have an available winning formula(s)

I didn't see that at all for AD and I didn't have my homer goggles on either.

I saw a lot of attempts going to the cup in the second half and a LOT of contact with no calls. even JVG made a couple of comments on it. Dray and AD started chirping at one point and Bron came over to chill them both out...then AD drilled Dray and straight up flattened him.

That was definitely a frustration foul for the non calls and to send a message to Dray. You could even see both talking after it, in a good natured way, during a FT attempt where AD was telling him Dray was fouling him all night and Dray was saying if he was the refs would have called it.

I'm not apologizing for AD or defending him.

I'm simply saying he got hit a lot on his attempts and at least 6 should have been called. That the difference between 5-19 and 5-13 plus 12 FTs.

We won with essentially 5 new guys, no Bron, against the champs minus Steph, on a floor where the champs were 21-6.

AD was a major part of that Win.

The point is to win...I dont get the criticism for AD last night. O wasn't peak by any stretch, but it also wasn't as bad as some fans are complaining about imho.

If AD plays like a punk, I'lll say so.

Last night, he was our only Big and he was key on both ends in the decisive final 5 minutes. He gets the calls he should have and last night that game isn't close.

#BannersOverBillboards
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:27 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

I saw a lot of attempts going to the cup in the second half and a LOT of contact with no calls. even JVG made a couple of comments on it. Dray and AD started chirping at one point and Bron came over to chill them both out...then AD drilled Dray and straight up flattened him.

That was definitely a frustration foul for the non calls and to send a message to Dray. You could even see both talking after it, in a good natured way, during a FT attempt where AD was telling him Dray was fouling him all night and Dray was saying if he was the refs would have called it.

I'm simply saying he got hit a lot on his attempts and at least 6 should have been called. That the difference between 5-19 and 5-13 plus 12 FTs.

We won with essentially 5 new guys, no Bron, against the champs minus Steph, on a floor where the champs were 21-6.

The point is to win...I dont get the criticism for AD last night. O wasn't peak by any stretch, but it also wasn't as bad as some fans are complaining about imho.

Last night, he was our only Big and he was key on both ends in the decisive final 5 minutes. He gets the calls he should have and last night that game isn't close.
As you shared and I agree, it was a great win - hopefull the first of a long winning streak as the new guys start settling in.

Dubs made the decision to guard AD with two 6'9" defenders (Looney/Green) with an additional defender (usually Wiggins, who is 6'7" or Klay/6'6" or Green/6'9") that doesn't have the length to defend him on offense. Their tactics is to crowd/box him to limit his space (rough him up, like all other superstars from the Greek Freak to Luka to Embiid, etc), as many teams have done in the past

Usually, in the NBA, if you are the aggressor and decisive - one will usually get the calls. As JVG stated on the broadcast, one option is to run the floor quickly (Ala the late Thomas Bryant did so effectively) to establish position on the low post. AD was either getting pushed out of the post, hence floating at the 3pt line many times - as I commented

Ham finally placed him at the pinch post and/or the free trow line extended to give him some space to operate that didn't help at all.

Was he getting hit, yes. Was he getting fouled, not all the time. Since the broadcast didn't focus their attention on if AD got fouled and Ham didn't challenge any of the calls, hopefully it is just AD getting into sync (as Ham alluded to during his interview).

If we don't have MVP AD, then our plan should recognize that AD is not there yet with the hope that he will be there during the playoffs. It was my hope that since LBJ was there and the Warriors game was very important, maybe a short glimpse of MVP AD would show up.

Maybe we need Green to irritate AD more - lol!! On this Laker team, who are the fired-up/in-your-face guys that will keep everybody accountable on this team (before it was PatBev)

It was fascinating noting the great difference in energy when Gabriel & Vanderbilt (with Austin Reeves) were on the court!!! When they are not on the court - seeming the energy, effort and urgency drop 2-3 notches.

Appreciate your observations.

Again, the bottom line is that we got a win at Golden State - team that has a great record at home. We will know more when we see this Golden State team at Crypto in the very near future.

Fascinating that we are 3 games behind in the lost column for 10th place
Fascinating that we are 3 games behind in the lost column for 6th place

With GS getting back Curry
Suns getting Kyrie
Mavs getting KD
How far up will these teams rise

How far will the Kings drop
How far will OKC drop
How far will TWolves drop
How far will the Clips drop
How far will the Grizzs drop
How far will the Pelicans drop
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Very late post here and yes I did miss the game. That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

DB - thanks again! Light at the end of a dark tunnel here - thanks to all for the comments and summaries, great reads.

From everything I've seen posted in this thread the Lakers look like a fun team to watch, and there is some hustle, defense and intelligence out there again to support LBJ/AD. Let's hope both superstars find a second wind for late season/playoffs.

Also, if players were funneling the Warriors into AD late in the game, and that strategy was working, I'll give him a pass on the offense. We won a title a couple years ago by shutting teams down and intelligent role players, and I'm pretty sure AD will bounce back. Looks like we had players fill in the offensive void when we needed it. Love what I'm reading about Vandy, Reaves, Shroeder and DLO and how they played their roles.

SO happy to see this.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Also, if players were funneling the Warriors into AD late in the game, and that strategy was working, I'll give him a pass on the offense. We won a title a couple years ago by shutting teams down and intelligent role players, and I'm pretty sure AD will bounce back.

We played more of a gimmick defense than we've seen. Some of the Warrior bigs got the Westbrook treatment, so AD was zoning and giving an abnormal amount of space. It worked decent.

When it didn't work, it was either AD not challenging well at the rim. (He had a couple where you were like what the heck? How did you not challenge that well?) Or, we left our guards on an island out on the perimeter. So if a big got a good screen in and stuck the guard, the shooter had some space since AD was hanging back pretty far in drop coverage.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Also, if players were funneling the Warriors into AD late in the game, and that strategy was working, I'll give him a pass on the offense. We won a title a couple years ago by shutting teams down and intelligent role players, and I'm pretty sure AD will bounce back.

We played more of a gimmick defense than we've seen. Some of the Warrior bigs got the Westbrook treatment, so AD was zoning and giving an abnormal amount of space. It worked decent.

When it didn't work, it was either AD not challenging well at the rim. (He had a couple where you were like what the heck? How did you not challenge that well?) Or, we left our guards on an island out on the perimeter. So if a big got a good screen in and stuck the guard, the shooter had some space since AD was hanging back pretty far in drop coverage.

I see - yeah fingers crossed then on tonight's game. It won't take long for that to reach the film rooms.

I'm rescinding the pass I gave AD.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

As you shared and I agree, it was a great win - hopefull the first of a long winning streak as the new guys start settling in.

Dubs made the decision to guard AD with two 6'9" defenders (Looney/Green) with an additional defender (usually Wiggins, who is 6'7" or Klay/6'6" or Green/6'9") that doesn't have the length to defend him on offense. Their tactics is to crowd/box him to limit his space (rough him up, like all other superstars from the Greek Freak to Luka to Embiid, etc), as many teams have done in the past

Usually, in the NBA, if you are the aggressor and decisive - one will usually get the calls. As JVG stated on the broadcast, one option is to run the floor quickly (Ala the late Thomas Bryant did so effectively) to establish position on the low post. AD was either getting pushed out of the post, hence floating at the 3pt line many times - as I commented

Ham finally placed him at the pinch post and/or the free trow line extended to give him some space to operate that didn't help at all.

Was he getting hit, yes. Was he getting fouled, not all the time. Since the broadcast didn't focus their attention on if AD got fouled and Ham didn't challenge any of the calls, hopefully it is just AD getting into sync (as Ham alluded to during his interview).

If we don't have MVP AD, then our plan should recognize that AD is not there yet with the hope that he will be there during the playoffs. It was my hope that since LBJ was there and the Warriors game was very important, maybe a short glimpse of MVP AD would show up.

Maybe we need Green to irritate AD more - lol!! On this Laker team, who are the fired-up/in-your-face guys that will keep everybody accountable on this team (before it was PatBev)

It was fascinating noting the great difference in energy when Gabriel & Vanderbilt (with Austin Reeves) were on the court!!! When they are not on the court - seeming the energy, effort and urgency drop 2-3 notches.

Appreciate your observations.

Again, the bottom line is that we got a win at Golden State - team that has a great record at home. We will know more when we see this Golden State team at Crypto in the very near future.

Fascinating that we are 3 games behind in the lost column for 10th place
Fascinating that we are 3 games behind in the lost column for 6th place

With GS getting back Curry
Suns getting Kyrie
Mavs getting KD
How far up will these teams rise

How far will the Kings drop
How far will OKC drop
How far will TWolves drop
How far will the Clips drop
How far will the Grizzs drop
How far will the Pelicans drop

Excellent response.

I'm just happy to be able to watch the games again.

It might be too late, but we take the next 2 before the break and I think we go on a run.

#BannersOverBillboards
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: