James Timothy McCarver (October 16, 1941 – February 16, 2023)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: James Timothy McCarver (October 16, 1941 – February 16, 2023)

Quote:
"Tim McCarver was an All-Star, a World Series Champion, a respected teammate, and one of the most influential voices our game has known," MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "As a player, Tim was a key part of great Cardinals and Phillies teams in his 21-year career. In the booth, his analysis and attention to detail brought fans closer to our game and how it is played and managed. Tim's approach enhanced the fan experience on our biggest stages and on the broadcasts of the Mets, the Yankees and the Cardinals.

"All of us at Major League Baseball are grateful for Tim's impact on sports broadcasting and his distinguished career in our National Pastime. I extend my deepest condolences to Tim's family, friends and the generations of fans who learned about our great game from him."

McCarver died Thursday morning in Memphis, Tennessee, where he was with his family.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35673836/world-series-champion-tv-analyst-tim-mccarver-dies-81
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject:

He caught the first MLB game I ever attended. I remember after he went to Philly Lou Brock came up to bat and something was said because the two started a brawl. I can still name that lineup from 1967. RIP Tim.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't a fan of his broadcast work, but I have respect for someone who was a Hall Of Famer (Frick Award winner) and former player. RIP.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject:

I believe he got into a feud with Deion Sanders it was mentioned in his 30 for 30
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject:

McCarver had one of the GOAT baseball quotes ever. He said that Bob Gibson was the luckiest pitcher ever, he always pitched in the games where the opponent didn’t score many runs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I believe he got into a feud with Deion Sanders it was mentioned in his 30 for 30

Yes, because Deion had the audacity to try to help his baseball team win, even though football was his priority and everyone associated with the Braves knew it beforehand. Selfish, he was called. It was an utter crock of sh*t. Deion didn't handle it well, but he was rightfully pissed off, and then McCarver acted like he had no idea why Deion was so pissed. He wasn't my favorite guy, McCarver, but, like I said, I still have respect for his playing career and I obviously don't take glee at his passing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: