Jo Raquel Welch (September 5, 1940 – February 15, 2023)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Jo Raquel Welch (September 5, 1940 – February 15, 2023)

Quote:
Raquel Welch, a longtime actress, international sex symbol and Golden Globe winner, has died, PEOPLE confirms. She was 82.

Welch "passed away peacefully early this morning after a brief illness," her manager Steve Sauer confirmed to PEOPLE on Wednesday.

Sauer added, "Her career spanned over 50 years starring in over 30 films and 50 television series and appearances. The Golden Globe winner, in more recent years, was involved in a very successful line of wigs. Raquel leaves behind her two children, son Damon Welch and her daughter Tahnee Welch.

https://people.com/movies/raquel-welch-dies-at-82/
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject:

RIP
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject:

I remember her from 100 Rifles starring Jim Brown and Burt Reynolds. I don't think she made any A movies. Raquel was very attractive. She turned Hugh Hefner down when he asked her to pose nude for Playboy.

The 75-year-old actress and model, who shot to fame after playing the iconic bikini-clad cavegirl in ‘One Million Years B.C.’, told Piers Morgan on his Life Stories show: “I am my father’s daughter and that’s just not the way you behave. You don’t do that if you are a certain kind of a woman and that’s the kind of woman I was raised to be. RIP LADY

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I've certainly seen the famous posters from "One Million Years BC" but have never seen the movie. I will remember Raquel Welch from her roles in "Fantastic Voyage" and from Richard Lester's 1973 Three and Four Musketeers movies.

I'll also never forget this performance:

https://youtu.be/HYN2PCUMPtU?t=15

RIP
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Such a classic beauty and always somewhat mysterious and kind of out of the public eye.

Not to mention a La Jolla HS grad and San Diego State attendee which earns her bonus points.

RIP Raquel Welch....
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:10 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Such a classic beauty and always somewhat mysterious and kind of out of the public eye.

Not to mention a La Jolla HS grad and San Diego State attendee which earns her bonus points.

RIP Raquel Welch....

Coming from me, some of you may take this with a grain of salt, but I think she was one of the most beautiful women that has ever lived. A complete and utter bombshell in her youth, she was still spectacularly beautiful even in her 40's and 50's. She also figures prominently in what is one of the most satisfying movie scenes in history in what is possibly the greatest movie in history, which is the scene from The Shawshank Redemption where the audience learns that Andy has escaped. For those who have seen the movie, of course it's the poster of Raquel Welch (which had replaced the original poster of Rita Hayworth) that is covering up Andy's tunnel through the wall.

RIP, Ms. Welch.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

RIP Raquel Welch....

Coming from me, some of you may take this with a grain of salt, but I think she was one of the most beautiful women that has ever lived. A complete and utter bombshell in her youth, she was still spectacularly beautiful even in her 40's and 50's. She also figures prominently in what is one of the most satisfying movie scenes in history in what is possibly the greatest movie in history, which is the scene from The Shawshank Redemption where the audience learns that Andy has escaped. For those who have seen the movie, of course it's the poster of Raquel Welch (which had replaced the original poster of Rita Hayworth) that is covering up Andy's tunnel through the wall.

RIP, Ms. Welch.

I was going to post the exact same thing. The word "gorgeous" gets thrown around a lot, but she was the epitome of the word, and stunningly so.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

RIP Raquel Welch....

RIP, Ms. Welch.

I was going to post the exact same thing. The word "gorgeous" gets thrown around a lot, but she was the epitome of the word, and stunningly so.

Agreed. I'd put Sophia Loren as being on par with her, perhaps, in the looks department when she was younger. Just spectacularly beautiful, both of them. I'm about 70% Italian/Sicilian, but I'd still give the nod to Welch, if forced to choose.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject:

So do we have a pitching staff that can compete in the playoffs yet?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

wrong thread obviously...

RIP Raquel
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Always loved her body..........of work....!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject:

https://pagesix.com/2023/04/04/sex-symbol-raquel-welchs-cause-of-death-revealed/

Quote:
Sex symbol Raquel Welch’s cause of death revealed

Former sex symbol Raquel Welch went into cardiac arrest when she died in February, it has been revealed.

The two-time Golden Globe nominee was also battling Alzheimer’s at the time of her death, according to Welch’s death certificate, obtained by TMZ.

Welch was pronounced dead at 2:25 a.m. on Feb. 15, and she has since been cremated, the outlet reported.

The renowned actress and model, who was 82, had never previously disclosed her Alzheimer’s diagnosis to the public.

00:01

01:18
Page Six has reached out to Welch’s estate for comment.

Welch was propelled to global stardom after landing iconic roles in the hit 1966 films “Fantastic Voyage” and “One Million Years B.C.”

In the latter, she appeared in a skimpy deerskin bikini that earned her a sex symbol status, which she maintained throughout her glittering career.

Years later, Welch said she “almost died” filming the movie after having to wear the skimpy outfit in severe weather conditions, which prompted her to develop a severe case of tonsillitis.

“I had already so much penicillin when I was wearing the fur bikini that I almost died,” she told Fox News in 2017. “I had to rush, turn my car around and head right back to the doctor’s office, just run upstairs, jump in the elevator and all that.”

Enlarge ImageWelch.
Welch died on Feb. 15, 2023 at 82 years old.
Getty Images
“And I barely got there. They had to shoot me with an antidote. Otherwise, I would have died. It was really rough shoot, man. Really rough. And then I came to London and everybody knew who I was,” she added.

Welch’s on-screen career saw her bag a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical for her role in 1974’s “The Three Musketeers” as Constance de Bonacieux.

In addition to her acting success, Welch was named one of the “100 Sexiest Stars in Film History” by Empire magazine in 1995.

Her sex symbol status also ranked her in 3rd in Playboy’s “100 Sexiest Stars of the 20th Century.”

The “Legally Blonde” actress, who was reclusive in her final years, had a turbulent love life that saw her tie the knot four times.

She was married to her high school sweetheart James Welch, with whom she shared two children, from 1959 to 1964.

She went on to marry Patrick Curtis in 1967 before their divorce in 1972, and tied the knot with André Weinfeld in 1980 before parting ways a decade later.

She married Richard Palmer in 1999, but the couple called it quits in 2004.

Welch’s last sighting before her death was back in July 2022, when she was seen treating herself to a manicure in Beverly Hills.

She wore a casual white top and black pants for the outing. She wore similar garb during an outing in September 2021, which was the first time she had been seen in more than two years.

Welch is survived by her son, Damon, 63, and her daughter, Tahnee, 61.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: