Former President Carter to receive hospice care for his remaining days
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Former President Carter to receive hospice care for his remaining days

https://www.cartercenter.org/news/pr/2023/statement-on-president-carters-health.html

Quote:
Statement on President Carter’s Health
Feb. 18, 2023
ATLANTA (Feb. 18, 2023) — After a series of short hospital stays, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter today decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention. He has the full support of his family and his medical team. The Carter family asks for privacy during this time and is grateful for the concern shown by his many admirers.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject:

A truly good person. I hope his final days with his family are peaceful.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I remember being ten years old and wanting Carter to beat Reagan.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject:

He may not have been the best president but it would difficult to find a better MAN! May his last days be spent in as much comfort as possible.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject:

A great humanitarian. Wishing President Carter comfort and peace in this part of his life's journey.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
A great humanitarian. Wishing President Carter comfort and peace in this part of his life's journey.

Well stated. Left a big mark on the world and always seemed to have his heart in the right place.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Jimmy Carter is the embodiment of what it is to be a genuinely good human being. His legacy in that regard is immense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I have one life and one chance to make it count for something . . . I'm free to choose what that something is, and the something I've chosen is my faith. Now, my faith goes beyond theology and religion and requires considerable work and effort. My faith demands -- this is not optional -- my faith demands that I do whatever I can, wherever I am, whenever I can, for as long as I can with whatever I have to try to make a difference.
Jimmy Carter

How Jimmy Carter Saved a Canadian Nuclear Reactor After a Meltdown - [when he was only 28-29yrs old]
https://www.military.com/history/how-jimmy-carter-saved-canadian-nuclear-reactor-after-meltdown.html

His and his wife's efforts made Habit for Humanity grow and grow and ❤️
I read a story recently about after his presidency ended him Rosalyn were building a home with a crew and they gave the only bedroom to sleep in to a newlywed couple and slept on the floor for a week while building the home.

https://www.habitat.org/stories/habitat-humanitarians-carters

Quote:
Jason Carter
@SenatorCarter
I saw both of my grandparents yesterday. They are at peace and—as always—their home is full of love. Thank you all for your kind words

https://twitter.com/SenatorCarter/status/1627043393175171072
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
He may not have been the best president but it would difficult to find a better MAN! May his last days be spent in as much comfort as possible.

I think you could make an argument that he was the greatest EX-President ever. (Or maybe JQA or Taft....)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I think you could make an argument that he was the greatest EX-President ever. (Or maybe JQA or Taft....)

I'm curious LC. Why equate Carter with Taft and Adams?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I will not speak for LC, but John Quincy Adams served as a House Representative in Congress for 18 years after his presidency, and Taft was Chief Justice of the Supreme Court after his presidency.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I will not speak for LC, but John Quincy Adams served as a House Representative in Congress for 18 years after his presidency, and Taft was Chief Justice of the Supreme Court after his presidency.

Correct.

And for Carter, there was a significant amount of diplomatic work, election monitoring and human rights advancement.

There may have been others whose post-presidential resumes were as full, but JQA, Taft & Carter were the three who came to my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Correct.

And for Carter, there was a significant amount of diplomatic work, election monitoring and human rights advancement.

There may have been others whose post-presidential resumes were as full, but JQA, Taft & Carter were the three who came to my mind.

Thank you CS/LC. I now understand the correlation. I didn't connect the dots of achievements after the presidency. LC, I agree you can make the argument.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject:

Was he really "not that great" as President?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Quote:
As the 39th president of the United States, Jimmy Carter struggled to respond to formidable challenges, including a major energy crisis as well as high inflation and unemployment. In the foreign affairs arena, he reopened U.S. relations with China and made efforts to broker peace in the historic Arab-Israeli conflict, but was damaged late in his term by a hostage crisis in Iran.

Carter’s diagnosis of the nation’s “crisis of confidence” did little to boost his sagging popularity, and in 1980 he was defeated in the general election by Ronald Reagan. Over the next decades, Carter built a distinguished career as a diplomat, humanitarian and author, pursuing conflict resolution in countries around the globe. He was awarded the Noble Peace Prize in 2002 "for his decades of untiring effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts, to advance democracy and human rights, and to promote economic and social development."

Quote:
As president, Carter sought to portray himself as a man of the people, dressing informally and adopting a folksy speaking style. He introduced a number of ambitious programs for social and economic reform and included a relatively large number of women and minorities in his cabinet.

Despite Democratic majorities in the House and Senate, Congress blocked Carter’s proposal for welfare reform, as well as his proposal for a long-range energy program, a central focus of his administration. This difficult relationship with Congress meant that Carter was unable to convert his plans into legislation, despite his initial popularity.

Carter’s relationship with the public suffered in 1977 when Bert Lance–a close friend of the president whom he had named as director of the Office of Management and Budget–was accused of financial misdealings in his pre-Washington career as a Georgia banker. Carter initially defended Lance but was later driven to ask for his resignation. Though Lance was later cleared of all charges, the scandal marred the president’s much-vaunted reputation for honesty.

https://www.history.com/topics/us-presidents/jimmy-carter
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

I think the gas crisis then did more than Iran hostages to erode good will. If any one thing did it. My mom would recall that time as an annoyance decades later, but she drove Cadillacs til the early 80s and had one of the giant Terminator 1 El Dos at one point. Then she "scaled down" and had a lesser Ace Rothstein model at the beginning of the decade. That period is referred to as the Malaise Era. Everyone, including river barge builders started scrimping on gross weight and horsepower. Iirc, some stations had gallon limits, many would run out quickly, and some were doing even and odd days based on the last number on the patron's plate.

He also took a black eye thru no fault of his own w/ the failure and deaths involved in the attempt to get the hostages out of Iran. A helicopter and plane collided after the mission had been called off due to weather conditions and the grounding of some of the necessary helicopters. I've seen both sand and walnut grounds (used to blast out hoses then) as culprits. It wasn't his fault and Iran refused to let them go til the first hour of Reagan's term as a spite to Jimmy. He tried to the very last minute making calls to get it done on his watch, but they screwed him. And after the first fumble, they were already wise to the US's intent and would've killed hostages if Carter tried again.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject:

A lot of historians have JQ Adams as the smartest president ever and Jimmy is up there in that echelon no matter what the Repugs say. When he finally dies, prepare to hear some disgusting crap about how he failed as a President while they ignore his works in totality. No Repub will ever hold that Peanut's jock as a humanitarian, which they resent. On his 2006 docu called "The Man From Plains", (it was a book tour on his Israel/Palestine book), everywhere he went everyone's faces lit up and 90 plus percent of people there wanted to shake his hand. He went down an entire full airplane shaking everyone's hand save for one lone weirdo. That kind of lovin' ain't from what he did or didn't do as Prez.

He also batted away a killer rabbit steaming towards him while he was in a fishing boat in 1979. Fun fact.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Why Carter was a 'very good' foreign policy president)

Quote:
David Rothkopf discusses his latest Daily Beast piece on why Jimmy Carter was a good foreign policy president.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Former President Jimmy Carter's niece gives health update

LINK 🙏🏾

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject:

CNN

(How Jimmy Carter led the campaign against Guinea worm)

Quote:
Former US President Jimmy Carter has played a vital role in the fight against a tropical disease called Guinea worm. CNN’s Zain Asher speaks to Adam Weiss, the director of the Guinea worm eradication program at The Carter Center.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

He must've been shaken with the brazen assassination of Sadat in 81. Unfortunately, much of the Sinai/Levant/Middle East just can't have nice things unless oil money puts aside that pesky religious fundamentalism.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject:

POLITICS Published March 14, 2023 4:28am EDT
President Biden accidentally shares detail about Jimmy Carter's health at private Democratic fundraiser

LINK

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject:

jodeke, I was afraid when I saw a new comment posted here.. glad its not the end

Made me go look up this old John Wooden video I can never forget. They're the same quality of Man
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Worst President in my lifetime:

Double digit Mortgage rates
Iran Hostage Crisis
No Olympics
Gas Rationing --- Had to wait for hours upon hours for gas. You could only go to the gas station on even days if your auto plates were even and the same for odd days.
Inflation SKY high
etc etc

it's no surprise that the great humanitarian Carter lost in landslide fashion to Reagan 489 to 49
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject:

That’s an unfair and overly simplistic assessment that conveniently ignored the factors that lead to some of them.

But for the sake of discussion, let’s just say you are correct. As someone who is closing on 60 and has the perspective of time, it’s blatantly obvious that the President who has done the most long term damage to this country is Ronald Reagan. His shutting down of social programs, attacks on unions, War on Drugs have had negative repercussions that we are still wrestling with three and a half decades after he left office. He’s clearly the worst President of my lifetime, all things considered, and President Carter isn’t even second behind him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: