LAKERS -at- MAVS – 2-26-23 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- MAVS – 2-26-23 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

SORRY LG!! I can’t cover this one. I thought I might but I’m running on 2 hours sleep and can’t focus.

I will say… 1. That the AD/Vando combo was outstanding. 2. AD offensively was like playoff AD. Great activity and results. 3. The intensity the team played with in the third quarter was next level. Bottle that. 4. Austen Reaves about as angry as I’ve ever seen him. Loved that fire so much.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- MAVS – 2-26-23 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
SORRY LG!! I can’t cover this one. I thought I might but I’m running on 2 hours sleep and can’t focus.

I will say… 1. That the AD/Vando combo was outstanding. 2. AD offensively was like playoff AD. Great activity and results. 3. The intensity the team played with in the third quarter was next level. Bottle that. 4. Austen Reaves about as angry as I’ve ever seen him. Loved that fire so much.

Get some sleep!🤙🏽

#BannersOverBillboards
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Vanderbilt
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Gonna go old school.

The Vandalorian is Michael Cooper.

Beasley is Byron Scott. Inconsistent as hell but when he is on……look out.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Vanderbilt

This!
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject:

A fantastic win that shows a blueprint to how we can string together enough wins to rise in the standings, close out the season and beyond. Outside of the second quarter, the Laker defense really stepped up today and it was fueled by my boy, Jarred Vanderbilt.

Ham was smart enough to not only assign him to Luka, but for the most part he rested Vandy whenever Luka rested, just as I hoped the coach would do. That paid off because Doncic was uncomfortable with the harassing D, especially in the third quarter.

Seriously, I hope more Laker fans see how over-rated it is at being an elite 3P shooting team if you want to compete for a championship. It's nice, and somewhat important, but DEFENSE is infinitely more important.

The Lakers shot 17% from behind the arc, but still scored a respectable 111 points because they dominated with points in the paint (62 to 32). Also, by extension the added reward for pounding the rock down low was that we had more FT attempts than the Mavs (28 to 14), and finally, we won the rebound game (56 to 48).

Combined with the aforementioned great defense (other than allowing a bajillion treys in the first half), this is how we did so well in 2020. We were bottom third in 3P shooting out of all 16 playoff teams back then, but dominated with athletic size on defense while rebounding well and scoring a ton of points both in the paint and at the FT line.

Ham, you still need to be called into the woodshed for the four guard lineup you briefly tried (and failed) with in the second quarter, but at least it wasn't for extended minutes. If there was one other major improvement the team could've focused on is giving it to AD down low. He was rolling when they did and could've easily had 40+ points tonight since the Mavs had no one to slow him down one on one.

Let's keep it going, Lakers!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Vanderbilt . There's a reason I was pissed we lost Caruso. Vanderbilt is filling that gap quite nicely. Hustling, changing possessions, coming up big off the ball and on defense, changing the tenor of the game without demanding the ball to do so. Welcoming the challenge of guarding the other team's best player, 1 through 5, night after night. He's the kind of player a title contender needs backing up the superstar scorers.

Love what Reaves and Schroeder brought to this game as well.

What a comeback. Unbelievable.

Nice games from LeBron and AD both. Stay healthy big guys.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:

Seriously, I hope more Laker fans see how over-rated it is at being an elite 3P shooting team if you want to compete for a championship. It's nice, and somewhat important, but DEFENSE is infinitely more important.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:09 am    Post subject:

I enjoyed watching Vanderbilt play so much that it made me want to log on LG and bask in this win for the first time since... honestly IDK. Was hoping for a DB writeup but hoping he gets his rest. Anyway, Vanderbilt has easily become my favorite Laker, genuinely can't sing his praises enough.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:15 am    Post subject:

Biggest win of the season, other than maybe the Milwaukee win. It's starting to feel like this Lakers team is a gathering storm. They just need to get and stay healthy and maybe championship No. 18 will be on its way by June 2024.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:00 am    Post subject:

Game changed when Vandy switched on Luka. I think Vandy also hit their first 3, after they were like 0-10 from deep.

Jodeke said it best, “20 points is not a safe lead in the NBA!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:40 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
joeblow wrote:

preach it
Defense
Rebounds
Determination
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject:

The rotations on the D were INCREDIBLE in the 2nd half.

Last edited by RI Laker on Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject:

Lakers were dominant inside again like in 2020. Mavs 60 points from 3ptrs were offset by the Lakers 62 points in the paint.

I think this team as currently constructed could be better than 2020. D'Lo, Vando, Beasley, Rui and Bamba raises the floor of what this team can do.

Gotta shore up perimeter defense. Portland went crazy from 3 and now Dallas his 20 of em. Clean that up and I don't fear any team.

Great team win yesterday without our 3rd best player, on the road no less
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject:

Insane performances from AD and especially Vando. It's really cool to the see the power of defense at a time when it's value seems to be dropping.

LeBron hasn't looked right since the two game break before AS week.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
joeblow wrote:

preach it
Defense
Rebounds
Determination

Here's the thing that so many fans miss in this era of the long ball: there are many other ways to EFFICIENTLY get points on the board if your squad is capable.

As I mentioned above, last night we did it with free throws and points in the paint (buoyed by offensive rebounds, eight of 'em from Vandy!!!). But I should've also brought up how consistent we've been this season at racking up fast break points too. It definitely helped us get to 111 in this win.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject:

"DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject:

That was a great comeback win by the Lakers! I'll readily admit, I quit watching the game after the Mavs went up by 27. I remember seeing the timeout being called, and just turning the game off, lol. Usually, I watch games, even when we're losing. If I feel there's something to be learned. At the time, I felt that this game was going to be one of those "nothing-to-learn-from" games, where the Lakers are missing everything from free throws, to layups, to jump shots. While the other team is making Harlem Globetrotter-esque circus shots every time down the court. But, I'm glad that the team had more fortitude than me. Big win, both actual and morally.

I was able to rewatch the game, so I have some thoughts beyond the obvious praise for the team. The Lakers have only played around 5(?) games with this new lineup, since the trade deadline. They're 4-1 in that stretch, with the one loss to a hot Blazers team w/o LeBron. That said, this team has been winning on sheer talent, depth, and hustle. Our execution is still a bit of a mess. And, our rotations still leave something to be desired. Granted, the rotations may have been a bit off, due to us missing DLo.

What did really bother me was the X's and O's. I absolutely understand that we just handed a rookie head coach a completely revamped roster with 20'ish games left in the season. And, it's unfair to expect Ham to be able to have everything figured out in such a short amount of time. But, I think there are some small things that he can do, that I don't see happening. I know I'm beating a dead horse here. But, I just cannot get over how blatantly Rui is being mis/underused on offense. I'm not sure how much is on the coaches not putting him in positions to maximize his talents. Or, how much of this is Rui being a naturally passive player...

Also, if I were the coaches, I would look to encourage Reaves to be a bit more aggressive getting his own shot. I've seen him get into the midrange, have an open shot/floater, and pass up the opportunity. Reaves is a very cerebral player, and one of those rare "connective" types of players. But, when you play a little too passively on offense, it can hurt your team just as much as being overly aggressive. l

These might all be issues that will have to be worked on in the offseason.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
That was a great comeback win by the Lakers! I'll readily admit, I quit watching the game after the Mavs went up by 27. I remember seeing the timeout being called, and just turning the game off, lol. Usually, I watch games, even when we're losing. If I feel there's something to be learned. At the time, I felt that this game was going to be one of those "nothing-to-learn-from" games, where the Lakers are missing everything from free throws, to layups, to jump shots. While the other team is making Harlem Globetrotter-esque circus shots every time down the court.

I'm not surprised that this has become the default for many of us. It's not so much the case for me anymore especially in this game. I felt the Mavs' shooting was unsustainable and optimistic that if the team could chip into the lead significantly by halftime they had a good shot.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject:

Vanderbilt is the reason why birds sing
Valdarno
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
A fantastic win that shows a blueprint to how we can string together enough wins to rise in the standings, close out the season and beyond. Outside of the second quarter, the Laker defense really stepped up today and it was fueled by my boy, Jarred Vanderbilt.

Ham was smart enough to not only assign him to Luka, but for the most part he rested Vandy whenever Luka rested, just as I hoped the coach would do. That paid off because Doncic was uncomfortable with the harassing D, especially in the third quarter.

The Lakers shot 17% from behind the arc, but still scored a respectable 111 points because they dominated with points in the paint (62 to 32). Also, by extension the added reward for pounding the rock down low was that we had more FT attempts than the Mavs (28 to 14), and finally, we won the rebound game (56 to 48).

Combined with the aforementioned great defense (other than allowing a bajillion treys in the first half), this is how we did so well in 2020. We were bottom third in 3P shooting out of all 16 playoff teams back then, but dominated with athletic size on defense while rebounding well and scoring a ton of points both in the paint and at the FT line.

Ham, you still need to be called into the woodshed for the four guard lineup you briefly tried (and failed) with in the second quarter, but at least it wasn't for extended minutes. If there was one other major improvement the team could've focused on is giving it to AD down low. He was rolling when they did and could've easily had 40+ points tonight since the Mavs had no one to slow him down one on one.

But what happens when the Lakers play teams that have big bodies to "slow him down" and take away the Lakers inside game and/or "pack the paint"?

Then outside shooting does become an issue, yes?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Valdarno wrote:
joeblow wrote:

But what happens when the Lakers play teams that have big bodies to "slow him down" and take away the Lakers inside game and/or "pack the paint"?

Then outside shooting does become an issue, yes?
Not really

Bamba can bang with the Big Centers and take them out to the perimeter because of his threat of shooting 3pt shots

AD/LBJ/Vanderbilt is a big lineup

Bamba/AD/Vanderbilt/LBJ/Reeves is a BIG LINEUP

DLO/Beasley/Schroeder/Reeves/LBJ/AD/Rui can provide outside shooting

This roster is flexible!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject:

AD outweighs Bamba by 20 pounds, Mo will get banged all over the court.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AD outweighs Bamba by 20 pounds, Mo will get banged all over the court.

Outside of Embiid and Jokic, I think Bamba can hold his own, might not have the upper hand but won’t be dominated, BroLo, Zubac, Valenciunas, Steven Adams, Nurkic, Vucevic
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject:

YOU AIN'T SH*T

I'LL F*CK YOU UP
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: