Lakers Salary Cap / CBA Q&A (please see pg 15 for 2023 version)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject:

I don’t see Jeanie spending 350mil. The only way for us to keep them all would be for Dlo and Rui to take a little less. I am not sure Dlo commands max money, he is far from a super star. Even Rui at 10 mil and DLO at 35 May save Jeanie 60mil ish, if we let walker go and sign DS to MMLE, we might save some more money
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject:

@mad: in another round of #playingwith#s, your scenario would look like…

1. Bron 47.6m
2. AD 40.6m
3. DLo 35
4. Rui 10m
5. Reaves ? (max allowed via early bird rights ~12m)
6. Beas 16.5m (via team option)
7. Mo 10.3m
8. Schro 6.1m (portion of mMLE exception saved for 2023 SRP rookie min)
9. Vando 4.7m
10. MaxC 1.7m
11. 2023 1st pick swap ~3m
12. 2023 2nd 1.1m (using portion of mMLE for 3yr deal)
13. Vet min (Gabriel?) 2.1m
14. Vet min (TBJr?) 2.1m

~ 181m in team salary without Reaves’s deal
~ 48m in associated taxes

Let’s say Reaves is kept at close to his early bird max, which is similar in amount to the Gilbert Arenas provision, his ~12m deal would lead to about 56.5m in associated repeater taxes.

Running it mostly back will prove to be costly even if we get done if them on cheaper deals. I wonder what their limit would be and if they choose the optics of hardcapping themselves instead to have the spending capped in a non-artificial way.

Btw, if we use the GA provision to match any hypothetical offer sheet on Reaves’s, we cannot use mMLE if we use the fMLE to match him with. I highly doubt we do that and instead we would use his early bird exception to match with.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
@mad: in another round of #playingwith#s, your scenario would look like…

1. Bron 47.6m
2. AD 40.6m
3. DLo 35
4. Rui 10m
5. Reaves ? (max allowed via early bird rights ~12m)
6. Beas 16.5m (via team option)
7. Mo 10.3m
8. Schro 6.1m (portion of mMLE exception saved for 2023 SRP rookie min)
9. Vando 4.7m
10. MaxC 1.7m
11. 2023 1st pick swap ~3m
12. 2023 2nd 1.1m (using portion of mMLE for 3yr deal)
13. Vet min (Gabriel?) 2.1m
14. Vet min (TBJr?) 2.1m

~ 181m in team salary without Reaves’s deal
~ 48m in associated taxes

Let’s say Reaves is kept at close to his early bird max, which is similar in amount to the Gilbert Arenas provision, his ~12m deal would lead to about 56.5m in associated repeater taxes.

Running it mostly back will prove to be costly even if we get done if them on cheaper deals. I wonder what their limit would be and if they choose the optics of hardcapping themselves instead to have the spending capped in a non-artificial way.

Btw, if we use the GA provision to match any hypothetical offer sheet on Reaves’s, we cannot use mMLE if we use the fMLE to match him with. I highly doubt we do that and instead we would use his early bird exception to match with.

still too much for Jeanie. in this case, we might have to bring back DS at a lower cost and trade out FRP to keep Reaves. either way, Dlo's contract size can have a huge domino effect on how the roster is being built next season. i can see Jeanie paying maybe 80 mil in taxes for one or two years and reset .
by the way, i appreciate you running the numbers for every LG member that posts a fantasy thought.

thank you
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject:

^Its my pleasure fam!

It’ll be interesting to see how they negotiate deals with our guys this summer. Vando at 4.7m will be extension eligible, but I doubt the waive him and redo his deal this summer.

As for Beas, I could see them not picking up him option and maybe talking him into a 2-3yr deal where his new annual ain’t as high as his current 16.5m option.

I can see them doing the same thing with Mo, where they waive his 10.3m nonguaranteed deal and bring him on a new 2-3yr deal where he makes it all back & then some, but on a lower annual rate.

Then you gotta look to Reaves, Rui and DLo and hope they willing to re-up on a “team friendly deal”. I couldn’t care less in how that impacts ownership’s taxes…however getting them on those type of deals make ‘em more appealing as assets if/when a trade scenario comes up.

I do believe we set ourselves up to play the cap space game even without a true max slot. However, if we can’t lock up our target, we turn to our FAs on a re-up as a contingency. Think summer of 2019 in chasing Kawhi, while having KCP remain in a holding pattern. This time it’ll be tricky tho, since we risk making them dudes pending FAs (by not picking up their option & waiving their nonguaranteed deals) where they can up and leave and we’d have nothing to show for it.

#PreagencyProblems
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject:

Based off talks, the potential new CBA will seem to have more interesting stakes involved.

Quote:
Tamika Tremaglio said she wants a fair deal but also wants the players to have an additional stake in the financial pie. The goal is more of a partnership than an employer-employee relationship. “The league is doing well, but I think the challenges we have is sort of this paradigm shift, the players are much more powerful now,” Tremaglio said. “LeBron [James] has [nearly 53 million Twitter] followers and the Lakers have 11 million. So when somebody puts something out, you’re going to be paying more attention to what are brands going to be going after? They’re going to be going after LeBron, the same is true with Steph [Curry], double with what Golden State has. The players’ market has shifted. Our players are more powerful. Our players want to be seen at the same level and want to be treated accordingly.”

“Hypothetically, if you allow a governor to be in sports betting, why can’t our players be? They have to carve it out, why can’t we carve it out? That’s more of the tug-of-war, is around the power, I believe, as opposed to, there are some dollar and cents things, but in general, that’s what we are really looking for, equity. And the collective is very unified on that. They want to make sure that they’re recognized for the value they bring to the game.”

“[The owners] see they don’t have the same power they used to have, which is fine because we all want the same thing,” Tremaglio said. “If they could sort of get on the same page, and many of them have, let’s be clear about that, in terms of everybody wants to grow fan engagement, everyone wants to grow the pie, everyone wants to increase competition, we all want the same thing, but they have to recognize the things you could do back in the ‘60s, you cannot do now. It shouldn’t be that way, quite frankly. – via Boston Globe

nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Based off talks, the potential new CBA will seem to have more interesting stakes involved.

Quote:
Tamika Tremaglio said she wants a fair deal but also wants the players to have an additional stake in the financial pie. The goal is more of a partnership than an employer-employee relationship. “The league is doing well, but I think the challenges we have is sort of this paradigm shift, the players are much more powerful now,” Tremaglio said. “LeBron [James] has [nearly 53 million Twitter] followers and the Lakers have 11 million. So when somebody puts something out, you’re going to be paying more attention to what are brands going to be going after? They’re going to be going after LeBron, the same is true with Steph [Curry], double with what Golden State has. The players’ market has shifted. Our players are more powerful. Our players want to be seen at the same level and want to be treated accordingly.”

“Hypothetically, if you allow a governor to be in sports betting, why can’t our players be? They have to carve it out, why can’t we carve it out? That’s more of the tug-of-war, is around the power, I believe, as opposed to, there are some dollar and cents things, but in general, that’s what we are really looking for, equity. And the collective is very unified on that. They want to make sure that they’re recognized for the value they bring to the game.”

“[The owners] see they don’t have the same power they used to have, which is fine because we all want the same thing,” Tremaglio said. “If they could sort of get on the same page, and many of them have, let’s be clear about that, in terms of everybody wants to grow fan engagement, everyone wants to grow the pie, everyone wants to increase competition, we all want the same thing, but they have to recognize the things you could do back in the ‘60s, you cannot do now. It shouldn’t be that way, quite frankly. – via Boston Globe

will new CBA kick in this offseason or next?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject:

^nms: the current CBA expires after the 2023/24 season, however there is a vote that has been extended till March 31st, where the players & owners can opt out of the current CBA so that a new deal (or gulp, lockout) occur this offseason.

From the sound of it, a new deal is being worked on and if they decide to have it take effect this offseason, they will vote to opt out and terminate the current CBA at the end of the month. If not, then the new deal will kick in the summer of ‘24 instead.

As of right now, the current CBA allows the cap to climb a max of 10% from the current season. So if that were to occur the projections are quoted below. As of right now tho, projections have it where it’s at a 8.4% increase (ie 134m salary cap).

Quote:
Max Projections for ‘23 Offseason under current CBA
Salary Cap: 136m
Tax threshold: 165m*
Hardcap Apron: 172m
35% max: 47.6m
30% max: 40.8m
25% max: 34m
non-taxpayer MLE: 11.6m
taxpayer MLE: 7.2m
room MLE: 5.9m
BAE: 4.5m
vet min (2yr+ seasoned): 2.1m
incomplete roster charge / rookie min: 1.1m

*Non-repeater Tax / Repeater Tax rates are as follows (total tax amounts for that tier are within parentheses) :

$0 - 4.99m ———> 1.5 (7.5m) / 2.5 (12.5m)
$5m - 9.99m ——> 1.75 (8.75m) / 2.75 (13.75m)
$10m - 14.99m —> 2.5 (12.5m) / 3.5 (17.5m)
$15m - 19.99m —> 3.25 (16.25m) / 4.25 (21.25m)
$20m - 24.99m —> 3.75 (18.75m) / 4.75 (23.75m)
$25m - 29.99m —> 4.25 (21.25m) / 5.25 (26.25m)
$30m - 34.99m —> 4.75 (23.75m) / 5.75 (28.75m)
$35m - 39.99m —> 5.25 (26.25m) / 6.25 (31.25m)
$40m - 44.99m —> 5.75 (28.75m) / 6.75 (33.75m)
$45m - 49.99m —> 6.25 (31.25m) / 7.25 (36.25m)

LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
@LT: although I believe Ky is a better “fit” than DLo is on this squad (ie dude has better defensive metrics than DLo this season), I agree with you that route 1 is a better way since we can utilize all our resources to retain & gain assets to flip later even if they aren’t viewed as keepers for the future.

I just have hard time believing this FO group is willing to spend a premium to do so. Even after trading for Russ, they had the opportunity to retain AC, Schro, Kieff and Wes, but didn’t. Even if they saw them as non-core pieces, they could have used them at the very least as salary fodder for an asset later, but I guess they deemed that luxury as a price not worth taking.

They got a lot of grief for it too, since nothing restricted them from doing so other than a larger tax bill. However, with the S&t route, they have a built in out in not spending, since they capped at 172m. Till they prove otherwise, that’s why I believe they will choose the 2nd route to hardcap themselves and gain that out.

For instance, they refused AC @8m per since he wound have cost an additional 27.5m in taxes. However this go around, let’s say they can retain Reaves at a similar price point, then as a repeat tax offender, Reaves would cost nearly 35.5m in taxes. Will they spend more for non-star players this time around? We’re all curious to find out.

Self imposed cap has been a problem. Unlike the Warriors, Jeanie Buss could not sacrifice short term profit for long term gain.

Teams make money long term by association with legendary players and championship. The Bulls, for example, are still profiting from their wins in the 90s. Some people thought Kobe was overpaid in his last years but in a sense Kobe is still working for the Lakers while he is no more.

Pro sports has two aims, winning and profiting. When you have a championship core, you spend to win as many as possible. Profit will come later. Jerry Buss knew it while Jeanie just wants to cash in on LBJ.

Now the team has learnt from last summer, when they had very limited tools, at least they have options/rights to work with this time. For example package Hachimura with Beasley for the best 3&D shooter available. Quality over quantity no matter what cap the team sets.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject:

^Yeah it’s going to be interesting to see how they proceed since they do have options to either go the cap room route or the capped out route. I just hope that as they address the big picture moves, they also utilize those resources to finally address the margin calls. For example, if they go the cap space route, they better earmark a portion of that cap to offer their 2023 2nd round rookie a 4yr min deal as opposed to exhausting our cap space and using the vet min exception to give that rookie a 2yr deal.

Speaking of length of contracts, extension eligible players (players on existing 3yr+ deals) are now starting to sign extensions (see ATL giving Boj 4yr extension today).

So which Laker players are eligible to sign extensions now and for how much?

DLo (via extend & trade)
Up to 2yrs/77.3m (expiring summer of ‘25)

Beas (via team opt-out for the upcoming 23/24 season)
Has to be a minimum of 2yrs but up to 4yrs/84.3m (expiring summer of ‘27)

Which Lakers can be extended this offseason and for how much?

AD (via 24/25 season ETO becoming guaranteed)
Up to 3 additional yrs/168m (expiring summer of ‘28)

Beas (via team opt-in @16.5m for the upcoming 23/24 season)
Up to 4 additional yrs/96.7m (expiring summer of ‘28)

Vando
Up to 4 additional yrs/58.5m (expiring summer of ‘28)
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject:

Thanks Vasashi. You work is always appreciated. I really hope we can keep DS and TBJ. They are very important and under appreciated by some. I would love to bring back the entire roster if possible. Hopefully tight azz Jeanie sees it this way after a long playoff run.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject:

You’re welcome fam!

I’m not a complete fan of running it back, unless we add real difference makers on the defensive end (primarily at the 5 with either a trade/free agency or Mo coming back and making a significant jump).

Running it back has its advantages tho, in that we can use those assets to flip later in a trade if the options present itself. But one thing has to happen…ownership/FO needs to show without a doubt that they are willing to spend in player retention with the repeater tax looming over their bacxs. Will they budge on budgeting this squad or will they once again duck the bill when it comes due?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject:

What's the deal with 2025? I've seen some people expect there to be a big cap raise bc of a TV deal? Honestly I thought NBA TV ratings were dropping?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject:

^If you scrub thru this thread yall get bits of info here and there. I’ll try to bring up the pertinent points here and hopefully others in the know can supplement further info in addition to the points made in this post.

-The current CBA is set to expire after the 2023/24 season

-However there is a vote scheduled for this Friday, March 31st, where owners/players can opt out of the final year of the current CBA and have it expire at the end of this season. This could potentially set up a new CBA (with new projections) this summer. They have already extended this voting deadline twice from its initial date of Dec 15, 2022. It’s still possible they will yet again extend the current deadline from the end of this month.

-The NBA and the NBPA are in negotiations to write up a new CBA and it does not appear that there will be a lockout. Current issues revolve around luxury taxes (ie upper spending limit), player availability and how it impacts their bag and nationally broadcasted games (ie load management), new max extension limits (ie the “Jaylen Brown” rule), setting the draft age eligibility back to 18y/o (ie bypassing 1yr of college like the days of Kobe/KG/Bron) etc.

-After the COVID season had stalled the annual salary cap increases to remain at 109.14m for the 2019/20 & 2020/21 seasons, the 2021/22 season demonstrated an incremental “COVID correction” period where the salary cap climbed 3% to 112.4m. This season however, the salary cap jumped to the 10% max allowable under the current CBA to 123.66m. Call it “COVID correcting” or “cap smoothing, but current projections for next year’s salary cap demonstrate a 8.4% increase (134m). Imho, I believe the actual cap, barring a lockout, opt out or new CBA implemented, will once again see the full 10% max increase to demonstrate a salary cap projection of 136m for the 2023/24 season. Projections under that salary cap amount are quoted below

Quote:
Salary Cap: 136m
Tax threshold: 165m
Hardcap Apron: 172m
35% max: 47.6m
30% max: 40.8m
25% max: 34m
non-taxpayer MLE: 11.6m
taxpayer MLE: 7.2m
room MLE: 5.9m
BAE: 4.5m
vet min (2yr+ seasoned): 2.1m
incomplete roster charge / rookie min: 1.1m

-The NBA is currently shopping a projected 75B TV deal that would kick in for the 2025/26 season. Certain prognosticators believe that type of deal will eventually occur, while others doubt the NBA can strike such a deal, where the more likely number for the TV deal will sit around 50B instead.

-So that still remains to be seen, however the NBA wants to avoid a cap spike like we experienced in 2016, where Durant was able to join the dubs at his near max salary (while mid tier players like MozDeng got to eat off in expected bags). The NBA rather “cap smooth” the annual salary caps heading forward, until the 2025 TV deal takes effect.

Hope that answers the gist if it for you @tox. Please let me, or others know if you need further clarity, fam.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject:

I don’t know how the league gets to those lofty numbers without involving streaming. Amazon could be in play, as could ESPN/Disney. ESPN+ has a reasonable monthly cost and I can watch every NHL game that I want. The Laker-Spectrum deal would likely eventually be a casualty of streaming.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject:

Thanks vasashi, that was super helpful. Looks like the old deal was 9 years/ $24B. So even $50B (over 9 years again?) would be a massive increase, makes sense.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject:

Can they dodge repeater tax by only bringing back Lebron, Anthony, Dangelo, Jarred and Max with their draft picks? I was under the impression that Dangelo would be cut because of the repeater tax. That means waiving Malik, Mo and all the restricted free agents, including Austin.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject:

@JM: first the current projections for next year reflect an 8.4% increase in the cap from this year (ie 134m). Let’s assume in the interest of cap smoothing towards the anticipated 2025 TV deal, the cap projects to the max allowable 10% increase that can occur under the current CBA, then the salary cap comes to rest at 136m (2m above its current projections).

In that case, it’s possible to get DLo for up to his eligible 30% max (ie 40.8m), keep Bron, AD, Vando, Max, 2023 1st rounder post swap, 2023 2nd rounder, Reaves on his full early bird max and round out the bottom of the roster with 6 vet minimum deals using the min exceptions to still remain under the projected 165m tax line. We would completely duck the tax altogether under this scenario. Now we wouldn’t be able to use any MLEs or the BAE under this possibility, but if the object is to duck the repeater tax completely while still having a 40m+ trade piece in DLo’s retention, then mission accomplished.

Quote:

1. Bron 47.6m
2. AD 40.6m
3. DLo 40.8m (via full bird max for up to a 5yr deal)
4. Reaves 11.9m (via early bird max for up to a 5yr deal)
5. Vando 4.7m
6. MaxC 1.7m
7. 2023 1st pick swap ~3m
8. 2023 2nd 1.1m* (using portion of ntpMLE for up to a 4yr deal)
9. Vet min 2.1m
10. Vet min 2.1m
11. Vet min 2.1m
12. Vet min 2.1m
13. Vet min 2.1m
14. Vet min 2.1m
= 165m in team salary (ie no room to add any additional money if the object is to remain at or under the 165m tax line in order to duck taxes completely

*rookie min counts as 2.1m (2yr seasoned vet min) towards luxury tax math

Now consider that if we trigger the projected 172m hardcap apron, where we can breach the 165m tax line by 7m, then we can technically court a roster like the one below and only pay 18m in repeater taxes (which is half of what we would be paying in taxes for this 2022/23 season as a nonrepeat tax offender).

Quote:

1. Bron 47.6m
2. AD 40.6m
3. DLo 40.8m (viabfull bird max for up to a 5yr deal)
4. Reaves 11.9m (via early bird max for up to a 4yr deal)
5. MLE player 7.2m (using portion of ntpMLE for up to a 4yr deal)
6. Vando 4.7m
7. MaxC 1.7m
8. 2023 1st pick swap ~3m
9. 2023 2nd 1.1m* (using portion of ntpMLE for up to a 4yr deal)
10. Gabriel, TBJr? 3.3m (using portion of ntpMLE for up to 4yr deal)
11. Vet min 2.1m
12. Vet min 2.1m
13. Vet min 2.1m
14. Vet min 2.1m
= 171.3m in team salary with 700k wiggle before hitting 172m hardcap apron triggered by use of the ntpMLE

*rookie min counts as 2.1m (2yr seasoned vet min) towards hardcap math

With the roster above, we used the 11.6m ntpMLE and split it 3 ways so that we can offer a FA a 7.2m tpMLE amount, while saving enough to offer a 4yr deal to our 2nd round rookie and roughly 500k more and up to additional years to a 3rd player than what a traditional vet min exception would have paid them (ie 2.1m (2+ seasoned vet amount) + 700k (the difference the league pays them for up to a 10+ seasoned vet) & only up to 2yrs in length)

Also, that ~3m projection for our 2023 1st rounder assumes it falls between the #20th-30th overall pick. However, let’s assume the 1st rounder has a slightly higher projection (ie it falls between #15-20 overall), then you have to adjust the DLo, Reaves, ntpMLE amounts accordingly to remain either at/or below the 165m tax line or the 172m hardcap apron.

Hope that answers it for ya, fam.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
@JM: first the current projections for next year reflect an 8.4% increase in the cap from this year (ie 134m). Let’s assume in the interest of cap smoothing towards the anticipated 2025 TV deal, the cap projects to the max allowable 10% increase that can occur under the current CBA, then the salary cap comes to rest at 136m (2m above its current projections).

In that case, it’s possible to get DLo for up to his eligible 30% max (ie 40.8m), keep Bron, AD, Vando, Max, 2023 1st rounder post swap, 2023 2nd rounder, Reaves on his full early bird max and round out the bottom of the roster with 6 vet minimum deals using the min exceptions to still remain under the projected 165m tax line. We would completely duck the tax altogether under this scenario. Now we wouldn’t be able to use any MLEs or the BAE under this possibility, but if the object is to duck the repeater tax completely while still having a 40m+ trade piece in DLo’s retention, then mission accomplished.

Thanks, so they don't have to come out under the salary cap to reset the repeater tax, just under the luxury tax threshold.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject:

^Yessir

From the projected 136m salary cap to the 165m tax line, teams are given roughly 30m in convenience to operate within that tax threshold, until they breach and get hit with a bill.

Also something to note is that even if they avoid the tax next year (2023/24), they must also duck it for the following year (2024/25) to get a full reset on being a repeat tax offender.

You are classified as a repeat offender when you pay taxes in 3 seasons of any given 4 season window.

2020/21: tax payer
2021/22: tax payer
2022/23: tax payer
2023/24: hypothetically duck repeater tax
2024/25: if we hypothetically breach tax line this season, we still considered a repeat tax offender and must have more punitive tax bracket applied, even tho we hypothetically ducked the tax the previous year
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Wednesday he is hopeful that a new collective bargaining agreement between the league and its players can get done by the end of this week, though he stopped short of predicting that a deal would actually get struck.

"I think everyone understands what's at stake," Silver said.

The league and the National Basketball Players Association face a midnight Friday deadline for either side to decide that they will opt out of the deal and end the current CBA on June 30. That opt-out deadline already has been extended twice, and Silver said the NBA's current plan is to exercise that option if there is no deal by Friday night.

"I certainly can foresee one getting done and I hope we do get one done," Silver said at the conclusion of a two-day meeting of the league's Board of Governors. "It's just because, honestly, I'm only one side of the negotiation, it's difficult for me to place odds on whether or not that's going to happen."

The NBPA did not have any immediate reaction to Silver's comments. Both sides have said throughout this process -- and in past labor talks -- that they do not intend to negotiate or discuss specifics publicly.

The sides have been talking about a new CBA for more than a year, and Silver said he expected negotiations to resume Wednesday night. And if Friday passes without a deal, it wouldn't be dire immediately because the sides still will have three months to get something done before the current CBA expires.

The opt-outs were put in place to avoid the drama of having talks go right up until the end of a deal, which would increase the odds of a work stoppage.

"Still a lot to go in the next few days. There's just something about collective bargaining where deadlines are necessary and seemingly sides tend to hold their best positions until the very end," Silver said. "So, my sense is this will go down to the very end."

The league has made clear that it wants some changes to the current CBA and has been in discussions with the union on matters such as an upper spending limit, returning to a plan where players can jump to the draft directly from high school and enacting a minimum number of games played in order to be qualified for season-ending awards.

"Every issue seemingly seems related to every other issue," Silver said. "If you line up these 10 issues, you sort of go 80% of the way there on each issue and everybody's holding their last move to say: 'Well, OK, maybe I'm willing to do that, but I'm going wait to see what you're going to do on those three issues. And if you make those moves on those three issues, then I'll feel a little bit more comfortable.' I mean, people are constantly trading things."

The current CBA, which took effect July 1, 2017, came with a mutual option for either the NBA or the NBPA to opt out after six seasons -- June 30 of this year.

The sides originally had a Dec. 15 deadline to announce an intention to exercise the opt-out, then pushed it back to Feb. 8, then to Friday.

A lockout would be damaging on many levels -- well beyond the obvious part of how a league that is coming off a season of record revenue (it topped $10 billion for the first time last season and basketball-related income reached $8.9 billion, another record) would see that momentum interrupted. It could also interfere with the makeup of teams for this summer's World Cup in the Philippines, with NBA players expected to fill the U.S. and other rosters (and three NBA coaches set to be part of the U.S. coaching staff).

It could also disrupt plans for an NBA Summer League in Las Vegas this July that figures to feature presumed No. 1 draft pick Victor Wembanyama in what would be a global spectacle, as the French phenom begins his NBA career.

"I think for both sides in various categories we acknowledge we've come closer together," Silver said. "There still is a gap between where we feel we need to be in order to get a deal done. I'd say throughout the discussions have had a very positive tenor and continued the strong sense of partnership that we have with our players and the players association."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35995090/adam-silver-hopeful-nba-cba-deal-end-week

vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Statement from NBPA executive director Tamika Tremaglio following NBA commissioner Adam Silver's press conference today:

The March 31st deadline is an important benchmark, and we are doing everything in our power to reach an agreement with the league. If we don't have a deal and the league decides to opt out, it will be disappointing considering all the work both sides have put into the negotiations, and the fair nature of our requests. As far as our fans are concerned, it will be business as usual. Games will continue uninterrupted. The NBPA however does not intend to opt out.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1641190384125587458

Quote:
Silver said today that he is hopeful of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement by Friday's mutual opt-out deadline – but said if there is no deal, the league intends to opt out of the current CBA in June.

vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

ESPN Sources: As NBA and NBPA pursue a new CBA ahead of tonight’s opt-out deadline, a deal wouldn’t include a change in the minimum draft age rule ending the “One-and-Done” era. High school players will still need to wait a full year beyond graduation to enter future drafts.

The NBA and NBPA are continuing to meet today and there’s exists a determination on both sides to reach a new long-term Collective Bargaining Agreement, sources tell ESPN. Still, there’s no agreement and work left to do.

vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

With talks on a new labor deal in an advanced stage, the NBA and the NBPA extended the midnight ET deadline to opt-out of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement to continue discussions tonight, sources tell ESPN. The league and union continue to make progress on a new deal.

Figures…another extension to the vote, but looks like they’re at the 1yd line now!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Labor peace: The NBA and National Basketball Players Association have reached a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, per source.

Per Shams
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Damn, 17.5 m over tax line means no MLE, DS might as be gone now…
I hope vasashi can tell me I am wrong.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17
Jump to: