Reeves vs. Caruso
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Reeves vs. Caruso

AC was a perfect 6th/7th man under Vogel, injecting energy when he came onto the floor and really brought the intensity on the defensive end. His motor (as a Laker) was unparalleled.

HBK is not the defender that AC is, nor does he have the same motor. He is, however, a willing defender and hard worker on both ends. More importantly, he's two levels of magnitude above AC on offense. Reeves is a legitimate threat offensively and has the ability to be a Sarunas Marciullionis/Manu Ginobili type 2-way threat off of the bench.

Sarunas & Manu were legit 20 point threats in limited minutes, while also being heady defenders.

I loved AC while he was here, but IMO, Reeves' ceiling is much higher.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject:

There is no VERSUS. They are completely different players.

I swear, some of you are legit racist. The only thing the same about them is that they are both white.

How about we compare Austin Reaves to a African American player please? One of the few things I like about Mark Cuban is his enforcement on his scouts to strictly make comparisons from one player, to another that is a different race. Because in cases like this, you get absolutely lazy comparisons that make no sense like Reaves and Caruso, where they play nothing alike. But because they are both white, they somehow get compared to each other.

Be BETTER people. Please.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

I swear, some of you are legit racist. The only thing the same about them is that they are both white.

How about we compare Austin Reaves to a African American player please? One of the few things I like about Mark Cuban is his enforcement on his scouts to strictly make comparisons from one player, to another that is a different race. Because in cases like this, you get absolutely lazy comparisons that make no sense like Reaves and Caruso, where they play nothing alike. But because they are both white, they somehow get compared to each other.

Wasn't my intent to be or seem racist. AC left after 20-21. Reeves came in 21-22. Even though we "chose" THT over AC, it was Reeves who took AC's role, so it's a ROLE-TO-ROLE comparison, not a racial one.

Last edited by Dr. Laker on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject:

Here's what Reaves said about the comparisons between him and Caruso:

“Totally different players, but we’re guys that played on the Lakers, and we’re white. We don’t really look athletic. He’s athletic, but I’m not that athletic. I can see why people do it, but we’re two totally different players.”

I get this is human nature. People are always trying to compare current Lakers to past Lakers and make a connection between the two, just because they wear the same jersey. But Reaves and Caruso aren't similar players. As the above poster noted, if one of them were black, I doubt anyone would compare them.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

“Totally different players, but we’re guys that played on the Lakers, and we’re white. We don’t really look athletic. He’s athletic, but I’m not that athletic. I can see why people do it, but we’re two totally different players.”

I get this is human nature. People are always trying to compare current Lakers to past Lakers and make a connection between the two, just because they wear the same jersey. But Reaves and Caruso aren't similar players. As the above poster noted, if one of them were black, I doubt anyone would compare them.

They're playing the same role - first SG/smallball SF off the bench.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Wasn't my intent to be or seem racist. AC left after 20-21. Reeves came in 21-22. Even though we "chose" THT over AC, it was Reeves who took AC's role, so it's a ROLE-TO-ROLE comparison, not a racial one.

I understand that, and I don't solely accuse you as racist or such, but lately, I've been getting absolutely sick and tired of people mentioning Caruso next to Reaves, as if they are comparable because they are NOT. Not just in skill level, but in play style. It's like trying to comparing Kristaps Porsingis with Pau Gasol since they are both white, euro players. Just silliness.

Last edited by Megaton on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Caruso is Pat Bev-ish. Hard nosed, "PG", knack for defense. Only offense really is the 3 ball that Caruso doesn't even really have yet. Makes winning plays.

Reaves is something completely different. He's like a poor man Harden/Manu. On offense can do 1-3 in spurts, playmaker, handles, shoots the 3 and hustles. Not as lockdown as Caruso but still quite very good.

The only things they have in common are: undrafted, somewhat older guys that the Lakers picked up and developed. Caruso is fairly limited but is elite in what he does, Reaves is shaping up to be one of the premiere role players in the league, he's IMO significantly more valuable.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Reaves is a shooting guard. Caruso is a combo guard.

They are really nothing alike as players. Like I (and Reaves himself) said, people compare them just because they are two white, unathletic-looking guards who played for the Lakers.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject:

Their role is the exact same, the comparison is valid.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject:

Both undrafted gems who played 4 years in college. Both scrappy high bb iq as well. I'd compare them even if they were different races

Last edited by socalsp3 on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject:

Id say both were needed for their squads.

Caruso was key for our defense those years, and a great hustle guy.

I was bummed Caruso left, but im more of an AR fan TBH, he provides hustle, good defense and has high BBIQ.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject:

ThreePointBomber wrote:

No it is not.

My god people. I am now marking people. Please, come up with a person from a different race. Because this is crazy.

Prime Pat Bev is a decent one. James Harden offensively is also a decent comparison. These Caruso takes are lazy and borderline racist.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
ThreePointBomber wrote:

No it is not.

My god people. I am now marking people. Please, come up with a person from a different race. Because this is crazy.

Prime Pat Bev is a decent one. James Harden offensively is also a decent comparison. These Caruso takes are lazy and borderline racist.

this is like asking who is better - derek fisher or dennis schroder? like....they are pretty damn dift players..
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject:

Austin is better than Kentavious too
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
Megaton wrote:
ThreePointBomber wrote:

No it is not.

this is like asking who is better - derek fisher or dennis schroder? like....they are pretty damn dift players..

Exactly. Or even my eariler example of Pau and Kristaps. Just stupid and lazy comparisons. We can do MUCH better than this.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject:

Jeanie better not let AR get away, consider lesson learned & AR IMO has already proven he’s better.

Jeanie you gotta bring back as many of these guys as possible & pay the tax to keep up with winning teams. New fresh season & they’ll be even better!

D-LO, VANDY, BEASLEY, RUI & AR are MUSTS to hold on to.
Amazing we got lucky & rid of westbrick & Pat, older, can’t shoot & their on court acts for YOUTH, BETTER SHOOTERS & FRESH LEGS.
HC: Riley
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject:

Austin and Alex do have the same role, backup point guard.

The issue no one wants to talk about is who gets the minutes?

Say both are on the roster, who do you play?

Austin or Alex? I’d go with Austin without a second thought.
Austin or Kentavious? I’d go with Austin without a second thought.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Austin and Alex do have the same role, backup point guard. The issue no one wants to talk about is who gets the minutes? Say both are on the roster, who do you play, Austin or Alex? I’d go with Austin without a second thought.

Reaves is a Shooting Guard. What are you talking about?

This is a huge dissapointing post from you considering your long, good history on this forum. Just lazy my dude.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Austin and Alex do have the same role, backup point guard. The issue no one wants to talk about is who gets the minutes? Say both are on the roster, who do you play, Austin or Alex? I’d go with Austin without a second thought.

Alex is a Point Guard like Pat Bev is a "point guard". What they really are, are small 3&D wings.

Austin is a lead guard off the bench with handles, can pass and playmake, shoot and even be a first option on a crappy diminished team. Defensively he is lower than elite but he is still VERY good.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject:

Alex couldn’t shoot. How is he 3&D? He could barely dribble the basketball. He was a one-dimensional role player. Defender and dunker.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Alex couldn’t shoot. How is he 3&D? He could barely dribble the basketball. He was a one-dimensional role player. Defender and dunker.

Now SEE, this is MUCH better. A complete contrast to your last post.

Caruso offensively, had a good straight line, transition game on the fast break. Especially as a dunker.

Caruso does not have one single trick in the half court where Reaves, he's got a deep bag full of em.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
ThreePointBomber wrote:

No it is not.

Whatever lens you have, take it off.

On the 2019-20 Lakers, Rondo was the backup 1 and AC was the backup 2, who occasionally slid to the 1 or the 3.

On the 2022-23 Lakers, Schroeder is the backup 1 and Reeves is the backup 2 who occasionally slides to the 1 or the 3.

WHAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT THEIR ROLES?

There's no black player in the Lakers' recent history to compare. 6'1" Lou Will never played the 3. Josh Hart never played the 1.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject:

Re-reading the OP, the Manu Ginobili comparison is actually kind of nice .
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Now SEE, this is MUCH better. A complete contrast to your last post.

Caruso offensively, had a good straight line, transition game on the fast break. Especially as a dunker.

Caruso does not have one single trick in the half court where Reaves, he's got a deep bag full of em.

And this is much better than your last post - you get the gist of the original post. As 2nd unit SGs, Reeves has a much better offensive game than Caruso. We're in agreement.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Re-reading the OP, the Manu Ginobili comparison is actually kind of nice .

That actually is a good comparison just because their play style is similar.

- bag of tricks offensively.
- both great defenders (although Manu flopped like a fish)
- both good secondary ball handlers in the half court.
- capable of great scoring games.
- efficient shooters.
- not known for athleticism, but certainly not slow at it either. Adn certainly not the "deceptively quick" takes we get on white players all the time.

This comparison I do like a lot too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: