What ever happened to Golden Throat??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: What ever happened to Golden Throat??

Aka Laker Film Room? I used to love all his video analyses and would have loved to see something from him breaking down our new coach, players, offense, etc. Really elevated my enjoyment of the game

Last edited by andrewc on Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I miss GT as a poster especially.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject:

He still has his podcasts.
andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Does he? I even enjoyed those as well, but he hasnt posted anything new on Twitter since May '22.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject:

He got a job with the Lakers.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Didn't he get a job with the Lakers or something attached to the League? That may prohibit him from posting.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

I was just wondering the same thing! I, too, really enjoyed his video breakdowns/analysis! Extremely well made, and excellent commentary. Wherever/whatever GT a.k.a. Laker Film Room is happening, hope everything is great.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

andrewc wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Does he? I even enjoyed those as well, but he hasnt posted anything new on Twitter since May '22.

Lakers Filmroom Podcast fam, check it out,its great stuff.

!...
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I especially miss GT because I imagine his ecstatic reaction when DLO got traded back here. That was his boy in the draft.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject:

andrewc wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/laker-film-room-dedicated-to-the-study-of-lakers-basketball/id1187085559
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Didn't he get a job with the Lakers or something attached to the League? That may prohibit him from posting.

I don't know whether he is actually an employee of the Lakers (in the W-2 employee sense), but there was a report that they hired him to produce videos and the like. I don't think that he would be doing podcasts if he was formally a Laker employee, but I have no inside knowledge here.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I don't know whether he is actually an employee of the Lakers (in the W-2 employee sense), but there was a report that they hired him to produce videos and the like. I don't think that he would be doing podcasts if he was formally a Laker employee, but I have no inside knowledge here.

I believe it was either at the trade deadline in 2019 or in that summer that John Ireland had to take a week off of the Mason & Ireland Show because he was a Laker employee and couldn't comment on any of the trade talk.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Why not? If I'm not mistaken, the podcast is with Darius Zolano and Mike Truddell.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject:

GT was a LG goat.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject:

One of the only people who saw the light with DLO back in the day
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
There were lots who saw Dlo's potential. Unfortunately, the loud minority who expected a superstar from day 1 seemed like they were the majority. Then the Nick Young incident happened and it was over after that.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Why not? If I'm not mistaken, the podcast is with Darius Zolano and Mike Truddell.

I don't believe that either of them are employees of the Lakers. It would be hard for someone who is actually an employee of an NBA team to conduct a podcast about the team. There's a built-in conflict of interest.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
There were lots who saw Dlo's potential. Unfortunately, the loud minority who expected a superstar from day 1 seemed like they were the majority. Then the Nick Young incident happened and it was over after that.

sounds about right
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject:

I love GT’s podcast, it’s the only one I listen to and I listen to all of them. I do hate he can’t post here anymore, he was the best.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm still on his Patreon for $5/mo lol. I should probably stop that. I think he's got it under control these days
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Darius Soriano, from Forum Blue & Gold. I listen to them everyday, great stuff.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakerican wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I don't believe that either of them are employees of the Lakers. It would be hard for someone who is actually an employee of an NBA team to conduct a podcast about the team. There's a built-in conflict of interest.

I think all three of those guys are Lakers employees now actually. Darius is writing for Lakers.com. Obviously we won't know the specifics of their terms of employment, but Pete is definitely on the payroll doing videos for the Lakers social media/TV. I think Jeanie Buss actually arranged flowers be sent to Pete when he was hospitalized.

Anyway, basically this means that none of them can talk about prospective free agents or trades and the like without it being made official by the team, which make last summer especially awkward (they had to hint strongly at the Kyrie deal but not actually say his name). I think this is honestly one of the things that has made the show less enjoyable for me. They're all company men now, led by Trudell, whereas before, Pete and Darius used to keep it real.

Also just the fact that Pete never actually has time to make free videos on Youtube anymore or actually talk about the more on-court stuff.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

As soon as Magic took over, I knew he'd be gone. It was just a matter of when, not if. Then he went on to construct the worst possible team around Lebron and Ingram and traded Zu for a bag of chips. With some exceptions, Magic is why good players make horrible talent evaluators. They are stuck in their glory days and construct teams like it's still the 90s.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I think all three of those guys are Lakers employees now actually. Darius is writing for Lakers.com. Obviously we won't know the specifics of their terms of employment, but Pete is definitely on the payroll doing videos for the Lakers social media/TV. I think Jeanie Buss actually arranged flowers be sent to Pete when he was hospitalized.

Anyway, basically this means that none of them can talk about prospective free agents or trades and the like without it being made official by the team, which make last summer especially awkward (they had to hint strongly at the Kyrie deal but not actually say his name). I think this is honestly one of the things that has made the show less enjoyable for me. They're all company men now, led by Trudell, whereas before, Pete and Darius used to keep it real.

Also just the fact that Pete never actually has time to make free videos on Youtube anymore or actually talk about the more on-court stuff.

You might be right, but it doesn't look like it. None of them are on the list of Laker employees and none of them list themselves as Laker employees on social media (Trudell works for Spectrum). This list includes administrative assistants, team chefs, and a mail courier:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Los-Angeles-Lakers/13/staff-members

I would guess that Pete does some work for the Lakers on a contract basis. There's nothing unusual about that. There are probably a fair number of people who work for the Lakers on a regular or semi-regular basis as contractors.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
GT was a LG goat.

Golden Throat and other LG OG's are doing big things.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: