The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 181, 182, 183 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject:

I am a film philistine who had never seen Red Beard or A Woman Under the Influence . I just watched both back to back this week and I can confirm that they are two of the greatest movies ever made. They both overwhelmed me and I have no further words.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject:

A movie worth a watch, Luther: The Fallen Sun. It doesn't do much for Idris Elba but his presence is enough for me. It's edgy but not really stimulating. It's on Netflix. If you have Netflix give it a peek. 1 to 10 I give it 7. If you watch it where do you rate it?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject:

YEAH Ke Huy Quan!!!!!

I don't care about the Oscars really but he gave a beautiful performance in everything everywhere and I was extremely happy to hear that he won.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
YEAH Ke Huy Quan!!!!!

I don't care about the Oscars really but he gave a beautiful performance in everything everywhere and I was extremely happy to hear that he won.

Short Round baby! Wow, a Vietnamese person won an Oscar...never thought I'd see that day.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
TDRock wrote:
YEAH Ke Huy Quan!!!!!

Short Round baby! Wow, a Vietnamese person won an Oscar...never thought I'd see that day.

That was awesome. From the moment Ariana DeBose was in tears as she read his name thorough his entire acceptance speech.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
TDRock wrote:
YEAH Ke Huy Quan!!!!!

That was awesome. From the moment Ariana DeBose was in tears as she read his name thorough his entire acceptance speech.

Hell yeah that was so touching. Goonies for life!!!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
YEAH Ke Huy Quan!!!!!

His character in EEAAO is probably my favorite depiction of masculinity in any piece of media ever. I'd also like to say I don't really care about the Oscars but I adored EEAAO and I'm glad that it won a lot.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:05 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
TDRock wrote:
YEAH Ke Huy Quan!!!!!

His character in EEAAO is probably my favorite depiction of masculinity in any piece of media ever. I'd also like to say I don't really care about the Oscars but I adored EEAAO and I'm glad that it won a lot.

Easily my favorite performance of the year. When my husband and I watched EEAAO, I thought it was weird, sure. But I was certainly entertained throughout, even as it starts off a little slow, and as the characters started going through their various selves in their multiverses, I was blown away at how convincing Quan was. He pulled everything off so believably, so beautifully. His range of emotions and personas, chef's kiss. The movie was released pretty early in the year, well before awards buzz would build up, and I remember saying to my husband "he should win awards for this." And he did!

The fact that he is also one of the most lovable actors in quite some time and has the story that he does just adds to everything for me. I am so, so happy that he won. I thought he and Stephanie Hsu gave the two best performances in the film, not that I'm taking anything away from Michelle Yeoh. As for Jamie Lee Curtis' win, well, I think we all know why that happened, not to be cynical. She's good in the part, but come on.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject:

"The Daniels" as a potential future of Hollywood filmmaking bums me out, but I admittedly hate the contemporary millennial video game/social media culture they represent that - much to my own self-loathing - I inhabit most days.

Wong Kar-wai movies are patient and contemplative even at their busiest and most dialogue heavy. Hands, cigarette smoke, the movement of clothing on our bodies are all worthy of Wong's sensuous, caressing camera. "The Daniels" are the antithesis of patience and contemplation. Everything in their movies has to be over explained, hyper fixated on, and punctuated with a wet fart. The irony of them aping In the Mood for Love, a film that ends with the main character whispering his secret love soundlessly into a small pit in the stone of a wall in Angkor Wat, is that "The Daniels'" EEAAO can never shut up even when it focuses on mute rocks with googly eyes at the end of oblivion, a sure sign that they as well as everyone my age and younger are now hopelessly, terminally online. We are the main characters. We will never, ever shut the (bleep) up.

But at least it's a better movie than Green Book.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject:

Also, Nope is ten times better than Everything Everywhere All at Once.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Weird take imo, I love contemplative movies and In the Mood for Love was great. EEAAO doesn't try to be that, and that's fine. The entire metaverse conceit, and the loud chaos of it all, is very much supposed to be a reflection of modern existence in the internet era. That's the point. And I don't really think most of that is over explained, there's a lot going on in the movie and different people pick up on different things that speaks to them.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
tox wrote:
TDRock wrote:
YEAH Ke Huy Quan!!!!!

Easily my favorite performance of the year. When my husband and I watched EEAAO, I thought it was weird, sure. But I was certainly entertained throughout, even as it starts off a little slow, and as the characters started going through their various selves in their multiverses, I was blown away at how convincing Quan was. He pulled everything off so believably, so beautifully. His range of emotions and personas, chef's kiss. The movie was released pretty early in the year, well before awards buzz would build up, and I remember saying to my husband "he should win awards for this." And he did!

The fact that he is also one of the most lovable actors in quite some time and has the story that he does just adds to everything for me. I am so, so happy that he won. I thought he and Stephanie Hsu gave the two best performances in the film, not that I'm taking anything away from Michelle Yeoh. As for Jamie Lee Curtis' win, well, I think we all know why that happened, not to be cynical. She's good in the part, but come on.

Stephanie Hsu was great. I can't believe Jamie Lee Curtis won but yeah... I hear Hong Chau was also great but I'd have liked for Hsu to win.
I don't have too much of an attachment to Indiana Jones + I'm generally younger so I didn't know much about Quan before but he knocked it out of the park. The fact that Crazy Rich Asians inspired him to get back into acting maybe will mean people finally stop (bleep) on a fun if conventional romcom for no reason
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/abc7/status/1635358275238764544?s=61&t=v2PoU5DoWGjJL0iZP_GTRQ
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Cocaine Bear Was listed as comedy horror. There is very little comedy. There are some graphic scenes. It wasn't what I anticipated. It's a one time watch. 1 to 10 I give it 6.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject:

going to strap up and watch babylon. have heard nothing really great about it. Looks pretty. Why is it so long.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Cocaine Bear Was listed as comedy horror. There is very little comedy. There are some graphic scenes. It wasn't what I anticipated. It's a one time watch. 1 to 10 I give it 6.

Whatever you call it, it's a considerably better movie than the pointless drivel that is Triangle Of Sadness. Literally one of the worst films I have ever seen. I'd rather watch Showgirls again.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Whatever you call it, it's a considerably better movie than the pointless drivel that is Triangle Of Sadness. Literally one of the worst films I have ever seen. I'd rather watch Showgirls again.

I rather watch Showgirls anyway. I've always felt that movie was the reason Elizabeth Berkley didn't win Dancing With The Stars

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I rather watch Showgirls anyway. I've always felt that movie was the reason Elizabeth Berkley didn't win Dancing With The Stars

Showgirls is one of those movies where it's so bad that it's actually entertaining, like watching a trainwreck that you can't take your eyes off of. Whereas Triangle is so bad that it's just annoying. We actually turned it off after about 80-90 minutes, something like that. Couldn't take it anymore. It was worse than Don't Look Up for sure, another satire that missed the mark and sucked out loud, but not nearly as badly as Triangle.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Showgirls is one of those movies where it's so bad that it's actually entertaining, like watching a trainwreck that you can't take your eyes off of. Whereas Triangle is so bad that it's just annoying. We actually turned it off after about 80-90 minutes, something like that. Couldn't take it anymore. It was worse than Don't Look Up for sure, another satire that missed the mark and sucked out loud, but not nearly as badly as Triangle.

DAMN!!! You caused me to watch Triangle Of Sadness. It's nonsensical but I couldn't turn it off because I wanted to know how it ended. There is no end, no conclusions. Woody Harrelson must have been a captain who goes down with his ship. He wasn't on the island. I'm pissed at you for causing me to watch it.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I saw Showgirls at the movies (why? -Cmon...) It was obviously funny to the crowd, Liz B's spastic energies. Best I can remember it was a fullish theater of 50/50ish male to female ratio, but a 20-stghs bunch (SBTB age demo).

Last flick I saw was The Whale. I'd rather watch Showgirls again than that. I get it, but it's like the movie Precious...no one wants to see it again if they saw it the first time. I never woulda guessed Brendan Fraser would ever win an Oscar, but the movie itself was a fat person The Wrestler. And I'm sure The Wrestler was something else before that. Screwed-up father w/ estranged angry daughter, both characters going out at end in similar veins. I'm not saying it was anywhere as good as The Wrestler (it wasn't, including myself, most people liked Wrestler quite a bit because it's depressing, yet occasionally re-watchable). It's the themes being similar w/ different "blatant" character types. And the Academy loves those types. Hoffman's Rainman, etc. They don't always win (see Stoltz as Rocky Dennis, John Hurt as Joseph Merrick), but the Academy likes to be troutslapped every so often w/ "I'm blatantly obvious!" archetypes/roles. I've been on that rant before, y'all know it. Liotta/Cruise not winning for Henry Hill and Charlie Babbitt, etc. Those aren't the troutslapper roles.

I also re-watched To Live And Die In L.A. One of my faves, but one of those I get back to every 12-16 months, usually. I wanted to see it again because I was reminded of it while watching a couple of YT clips from Drive (2011, Gosling). You can tell when a director in a crime or driving-based LA flick cites TLADILA because of the old 6th St. bridge/viaduct and other visual cues. The initial Drive chase scene is around that area and he takes the girl and her son into the viaduct. Drive and End Of Shift (2012, Gyllenhall/Pena) were among the last to get in those scenes. End Of Shift had 3 or 4 scenes and/or subtleties that were obvious nods to Live And Die and also trod on some of the same bridges shown in Live/Die. Even a couple of shots appeared to be "inspired" (re-used by director and/or cinematographer). EG: One 1-2 second stylized scene in Live/Die featured a sped-up view of the Sun coming up on the city w/ an orange sky and the wind whipping thru some palm trees. One very similar was used in End Of Shift. If any movie intentionally shows the downtrodden or industrial areas of LA, that's also probably hearkening back to 1985 because Friedkin was probably the first to show LA like that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject:

CREED III didn't live up to the hype. IMO it's the worst of the Rocky and Creed movies. No real mystery and the drama was soft. 1 to 10 I give it a generous 7.

CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE is worth a peek. It's a comedy I liked. The Rock shows acting versatility. So far he's avoided being type cast IMO. Kevin Hart is Kevin Hart. LINK

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject:

IMHO Babylon was bad. Some beautiful shots but just too messy.

I would like to see Brad Pitt do a comedy. He seems pretty funny.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Tetris is good!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
IMHO Babylon was bad. Some beautiful shots but just too messy.

I would like to see Brad Pitt do a comedy. He seems pretty funny.

I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes. I'm gonna give it another peek when I have nothing else to do.

EDIT: I tried 3 more times. I'm gonna give up on Babylyon.

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Just watched “Air”. It exceeded my expectations. Thumbs up from me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 181, 182, 183 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 182 of 189
Jump to: