In F’in Defensible
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The outrage isn't AD sitting.

The outrage is that the team KNEW AD is sitting out b2b, Mo is out, and LBJ who often played backup center is out. The luxury tax hit on a 10 day is negligible while losing a must-win gimme like the Rox game is consequential. This one may hurt our chances to be a 7/8 seed.

Is there someone unsigned out there that could give more than Gabriel? I’m not sure who that would be. Posters here are crying for a big who can just defend and rebound but those players are under contract.

It wasn't giving more than Gabriel. It was not having another legitimate sized center who could also give around what Gabriel did. Rui starting at C was a bust from the tip. Beyond not being a center, he's the guy the staff had to be in the ear of about playing bigger and more aggressive.

The whole game they waltzed to the lane and pummeled us on the boards. We needed another late human being with baseline center skills to add a deterrent around the rim with all those layups and help control the boards.

Moses Brown would have been my choice.

The piece that is killing me: they knew AD was sitting b to b's, so as soon as Bamba went out, you fill that position with a 10 day. LeBron was our other backup center.

It's negligent to not have another center on the roster. Especially when you have the roster spot and can get a 10 day fill in.

... not to mention Gabriel fouls so frequently.

Not sure if it was indeed tax savings, but I don't see what else it would be.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The outrage is that the team KNEW AD is sitting out b2b, Mo is out, and LBJ who often played backup center is out. The luxury tax hit on a 10 day is negligible while losing a must-win gimme like the Rox game is consequential. This one may hurt our chances to be a 7/8 seed.

Is there someone unsigned out there that could give more than Gabriel? I’m not sure who that would be. Posters here are crying for a big who can just defend and rebound but those players are under contract.

We gave up 78 points in the paint, were outrebounded by 15. Having Tony Bradley, heck even Boogie/Ibaka probably means we can grab a few more rebounds more than when overmatched 6'7=6'8 guys were trying to defend 6'11 Jabari/6'11 Sengun. It's not a panacea, but almost every NBA team would have had an insurance big knowing AD cannot play B2Bs and Mo was out for the rest of the season.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject:

FYI: total salary (prorated base salary + tax) towards a 10-dayer signed twice (the max allowed before given a RoS deal) with us aka a 20-dayer (there are 25 days remaining in the season before the playoffs), would be ~900k (106k per 10 day with a 3.25 tax rate applied on the total)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
FYI: total salary (prorated base salary + tax) towards a 10-dayer signed twice (the max allowed before given a RoS deal) with us aka a 20-dayer (there are 25 days remaining in the season before the playoffs), would be ~900k (106k per 10 day with a 3.25 tax rate applied on the total)

Start a freaking Go Fund Me if that's too expensive for crying out loud.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We gave up 78 points in the paint, were outrebounded by 15. Having Tony Bradley, heck even Boogie/Ibaka probably means we can grab a few more rebounds more than when overmatched 6'7=6'8 guys were trying to defend 6'11 Jabari/6'11 Sengun. It's not a panacea, but almost every NBA team would have had an insurance big knowing AD cannot play B2Bs and Mo was out for the rest of the season.

The Cousins we last saw likely would have given up more in the paint, his lateral movement is gone. I’m not against the idea of adding another big, I just don’t think a player is out there that would make a difference.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject:

It's not skill as much as his off the court issues

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/ex-warrior-demarcus-cousins-asked-bob-myers-why-he-isnt-nba-right-now

We could have used his skills for a third string center.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
JamaalWilkes wrote:
We have had an open roster spot forever.

Demarcus Cousins and Dwight Howard say hello.

Maybe we should have a center besides Anthony Day-to Davis and injured Bamba.

Unfortunately, Dwight Howard already said hello to an overseas stint, 30 games for $1million.

I know. Buy out contract.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Completely agree.

To add to that, a big's presence is more than just lateral movement. We were annihilated on the glass when Gabriel wasn't in there. Gabriel was 33 minutes and a +12. Rui at center was 17 minutes and a -15. Uh math? I mean a spot duty center grabbed 14 rebounds and was +12. Let me repeat, a spot duty center accomplished that.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Sure there is an upfront cost but
How much are wins worth
How much is it worth to do something to keep players off the injured list because we're playing them out of position
Rui is a finesse player and I'm fine with that
Wenyen is forced to play like a soldier on meth and we still lost

Abusive front office

Los Angeles California Home of a cheapskate owner??? Who won't help the team?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject:

At least attempt what's Logical..

Doctors told you how long ago AD cannot play b2b
Mo Bamba went down how long ago

Oh well
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agreed…that is the whole point. The entire NBA world knows that another big is necessary in the situation the Lakers were in. Philly signed Dedmond, Brooklyn signed Nerlens, Milwaukee signed Meyers…out there still is Ibaka/Whiteside/Cousins. Knowing AR would sit b2b2, Mo’s and LBJ’s injury timeframe means it was absolutely necessary to at least add a 10-day, especially with an open roster spot.

The FO may just not have competing at a high level as an objective this season. That could explain it, makes sense too when thinking about why they would wait until the deadline to make trades, and why no replacement center was added knowing the top three used (AD/Mo/LBJ) would be out.

Either they aren’t really trying to compete this year or they just don’t know what the hell they are doing.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Seems to be a classic case of lip service by FO when in reality probably the punted the season. Fans seem to be more outraged and care more about the season than the players/FO. So as a fan, why even bother even tuning in anymore
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:27 am    Post subject:

The outrage here isn’t that they sat Anthony Davis The guy is playing with an active injury and we’re trying to nurse through the playoffs.

No, the outrage here is thinking that you’re going to go into a game without any big man and think that you’re gonna win against a team that has a legitimate center

I felt like throwing something at the TV. Every time I saw our team get dunked on by a player that really isn’t even that good

And then not understanding that our teams game does a predicate around being three point shooters they work from the inside out if we get dominated on the inside there is no outside game because all we have to do is have a poor shooting night from three and we’re done

They could have prevented this any number of ways winning. Gabriel actually gave a valiant effort, but as
Soon as he went off the court, all we had were power forwards, and Gabriels not exactly a center himself

That’s where people should be pissed and I definitely am
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
Seems to be a classic case of lip service by FO when in reality probably the punted the season. Fans seem to be more outraged and care more about the season than the players/FO. So as a fan, why even bother even tuning in anymore

https://theathletic.com/2140632/2020/10/16/the-lakers-won-a-title-but-also-lost-the-most-potential-fan-revenue-in-2019-20/

Per this article, the team lost $50+ million during the bubble because of the 10 home playoff games they would have hosted. If the team gets swept in the first round that still translates to at least 2 home games and $10+ million. Not sure how much of that makes it into the Buss' pockets but I would venture to guess it is significantly more than their share of a 10-day contract even when you account for taxes.

They may be stupid for other reasons but I doubt they're throwing the season.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

if she is worried about 900k, there is no way she will bring everyone back in this offseason.
come on Jeanie, follow MJ's lead and be a minority owner.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
The outrage here isn’t that they sat Anthony Davis The guy is playing with an active injury and we’re trying to nurse through the playoffs.

No, the outrage here is thinking that you’re going to go into a game without any big man and think that you’re gonna win against a team that has a legitimate center

I felt like throwing something at the TV. Every time I saw our team get dunked on by a player that really isn’t even that good

And then not understanding that our teams game does a predicate around being three point shooters they work from the inside out if we get dominated on the inside there is no outside game because all we have to do is have a poor shooting night from three and we’re done

They could have prevented this any number of ways winning. Gabriel actually gave a valiant effort, but as
Soon as he went off the court, all we had were power forwards, and Gabriels not exactly a center himself

That’s where people should be pissed and I definitely am

Exactly! Well said.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It wasn't giving more than Gabriel. It was not having another legitimate sized center who could also give around what Gabriel did. Rui starting at C was a bust from the tip. Beyond not being a center, he's the guy the staff had to be in the ear of about playing bigger and more aggressive.

The whole game they waltzed to the lane and pummeled us on the boards. We needed another late human being with baseline center skills to add a deterrent around the rim with all those layups and help control the boards.

The piece that is killing me: they knew AD was sitting b to b's, so as soon as Bamba went out, you fill that position with a 10 day. LeBron was our other backup center.

It's negligent to not have another center on the roster. Especially when you have the roster spot and can get a 10 day fill in.

Well put. That's my complaint is the plan of not having a plan, which cost a winnable game. We are a half game from being on the outside. Watch we miss the play in by that much or even the 6 seed.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
tony smith wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Well put. That's my complaint is the plan of not having a plan, which cost a winnable game. We are a half game from being on the outside. Watch we miss the play in by that much or even the 6 seed.

Agree. It's disingenuous to use Wenyen as the point of comparison after seeing what happened in Houston. Either that or you're just blind/dumb.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject:

What’s even worse is that we haven’t received an announcement yet that Ibaka has been added to a 10-day. Correct your f-up Rob. We’re counting on you man. WTF is going on with you?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Welp. I agree with those of the opinion that we had plenty of time to find an insurance big for days when AD sits. We got cheesed by the worst team in the NBA because they have one legit NBA center, a couple more journeymen level bigs to back him up, and we have nobody available who weighs more than a typical scoring guard other than Rui. And Rui plays way under his weight down low. Kudos to Wenyan for playing way over his weight or it would have been even worse.

Kudos to DLO and the "Deep Bench" for keeping the Houston game close in spite of being saddled with limited options when the opponent knows they own the paint, in dominating fashion, on both ends. Hard to be effective that way.

Crappy luck that Bamba went down for a month with an ankle sprain, but we had time to fix this long before this B2B arrived.

Shopping list for offseason needs to include a half decent insurance big. Also hang on to Bamba if we can.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject:

JamaalWilkes wrote:
XTC wrote:
JamaalWilkes wrote:
We have had an open roster spot forever.

Demarcus Cousins and Dwight Howard say hello.

Maybe we should have a center besides Anthony Day-to Davis and injured Bamba.

Unfortunately, Dwight Howard already said hello to an overseas stint, 30 games for $1million.

I know. Buy out contract.

Some international players have a buyout clause in their contract, some don't. However the buyout money doesn't go to the player. It goes to the international team they are leaving. It is literally a case of the player paying to be released from his contract. In those instances NBA teams can reimburse the player up to a certain amount.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
tony smith wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I can understand the frustration. Anyone we picked up may or may not have made a difference in the game. But it does seem odd that the team did not pick up a center on a 10-day contract after Bamba went down, if they knew AD wasn't going to be playing in the back-to-back
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject:

The team had worked some centers out but evidently they weren’t impressed enough to sign anyone. The thought process that we could have added any large stiff and beat Houston is wishful thinking.
Black Sheep
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
drae wrote:
Doctors call. Fans have to deal with it

If thats the case why not get a 10 day contract for a center? This is crazy....also he need to be traded. He just injury prone..he need to go..it is what it is.

This is the real problem.

AD has an injury - fine, but to not equip the team with another big with Bamba out is absurd. Absolute malpractice, Pelinka is not that stupid which again means it had to be $$$$$$.

Gabriel gave you 15 rebounds
Gabriel was a +12 on the floor

They won or broke even every quarter Gabriel played the most big minutes.

Rui gave you 0 rebounds
Rui gave you 0 fouls
Rui was a -15
Rui is 20 pounds bigger than Gabriel

That game was lost in the first quarter when Ham started Rui. And momentum was lost in the third after Darvon cleaned up a mistake and started Gabriel in the second half, when Rui came in for Gabriel and he went turnover, give up a layup, miss 3, short mid leads to a run out in his time on the floor.

Pelinka literally gave him what he needed to win the game. Just start damn Gabriel in quarter 1 and they win that game

Wrong. Game was lost when Sengun had easy baskets. And the rest could lob for dunks and dribble to the hoop. I like Gab and Van but both undersized. They got schooled from everyone who even entered the lane tonight. It was like an all star game, back and forth.

The Rockets announce sengun will play and he says start Rui. He pretty much threw that 1 quarter away in that start.

Gabriel played most the minutes every quarter after that.

Q1 - 19 / 31
Q2 - 29 / 31
Q3 - 26 / 21
Q4 - 36 / 31

The Lakers were down 13 to 25 when Gabriel came in the game with 3 mins left in the fiest. That was the only quarter Rui played more minutes than him too.

They lost that game not because they didn’t sign a 10 day big, not because of what Jeanie didn’t pay, not because AD sat, or what Pelinka didn’t do. They lost it because Ham made a dumb coaching move and they got beat down the first 9 minutes of that game.

The team won the game from that point on. Hell the lakers were right there on the glass from the time Rui exited the first and Gabriel came in as well. They lost the glass 26 to 33 from that point on. They could have won with what they had with just Wenyen playing

Lakers need size. Until you realize that, we will keep playing fast paced basketball.

Game was lost when we didn't sign a center to protect the middle and grab rebounds.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: