DeAngelo or Kyrie or DS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want as the Laker starting PG?
Dennis Schröder
11%
 11%  [ 12 ]
DeAngelo Russell
70%
 70%  [ 75 ]
Kyrie Irving
17%
 17%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 106

Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
It'll all come down to how he plays in the playoffs. Hes had pretty terrible showings in the post season.

If he plays as bad as he did tonight then we should probably move on if hes asking for 30 mil +

Tonight was basically a preview of playoff basketball and he choked ALL his 3s in the clutch and he was horrible the last 2-3 games.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Ksig wrote:
It'll all come down to how he plays in the playoffs. Hes had pretty terrible showings in the post season.

If he plays as bad as he did tonight then we should probably move on if hes asking for 30 mil +

Tonight was basically a preview of playoff basketball and he choked ALL his 3s in the clutch and he was horrible the last 2-3 games.

He's a perimeter oriented player that is very good but not elite from there. If you look at his metrics, he's a step below the elite guards. So I don't know why the expectation is that he would play on par with Steph/Kyrie etc. Those players are the elite standard in the league.

But now you look into the second tier, and he's right there. What he's doing for us so far is exactly what I expected. I don't know what player there would be available from tier 2 guards that are better. He's a good fit on offense, IMO.

17.9 ppg, TS57.2%, 6.4 apg (to 2.1 TOs). These are excellent production for a player we hope to be our 3rd best player. Other than being injured and missing games, DLO has been a positive for this team. Levels above WB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject:

At this point, I would only re-sign DLO if it came with a package deal of him and Kyrie.

That opinion may change, but DLO has to change it.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject:

Kyrie is a money player in big games. He always delivers in money time.

D Lo will have to show that growth in the playoffs
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject:

I am still not personally fond of DLO's game. To me he doesn't impact the game much when his three point shot doesn't fall. I'd trade him for Kuzma again.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:

Kyrie playing well last night is fresh in everyone’s mind. They’re not remembering all the games he shoots his team out of or doesn’t show up at all for.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Kyrie playing well last night is fresh in everyone’s mind. They’re not remembering all the games he shoots his team out of or doesn’t show up at all for.

Yup, recency bias for the win.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject:

If Kyrie is asking only for a little more than Dlo we should sign him. Otherwise this team needs to rebuild.

Vandy
reaves
Rui
DS
Brown
Beasely ( I like him)
Wenyen

Move AD. I feel like he has gotten some of his value back. Evan Mobley +? Scottie barnes?

Wheel bron out for home games.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Kyrie is averaging 27 PPG on a scorching 66 TS%. The games he shoots his team out of are few and far between.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject:

Kyrie is in a different plane then DLo on court. But you just can't ignore all the other crap so it's a real gamble with this guy.

Besides. If he has to have max money and hard caps a team, then the only way a 3 star model works is if they are so available they cancel the need for depth. ALL three guys are injury/sit-out games prone. Doesn't work.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:
ocho wrote:

Kyrie is averaging 27 PPG on a scorching 66 TS%. The games he shoots his team out of are few and far between.

I invite you to watch more Mavs games. You can start with the game against us a few weeks ago.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:
ocho wrote:

I invite you to watch more Mavs games. You can start with the game against us a few weeks ago.

As a Mav he's averaging 28 PPG on 66 TS%. He's been excellent offensively save three or four of his 12 games in Dallas. Each of DLO's last three games are worse than any game Kyrie has played as a Mav.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:
ocho wrote:
Lakeshow23_ wrote:
ocho wrote:

As a Mav he's averaging 28 PPG on 66 TS%. He's been excellent offensively save three or four of his 12 games in Dallas. Each of DLO's last three games are worse than any game Kyrie has played as a Mav.

This. Kyrie made a case for the FO's 3-superstar obsession. This version of Kyrie is better value at the MAX than DLO is at the $25-30 million we're projecting. It's been argued that superstars are easily underpaid and that's why it's arguable that you're getting the best value by accumulating superstars.

That said, getting Kyrie involves losing depth even before considering the self-induced hard-cap. And Mark Cuban ain't sending us the version of Kyrie we're all clamoring for. He's a Laker-hater to the core and to this day still boasts about how he sabotaged the CP3-Lakers trade. Until we get some substantial info that Kyrie/Mavs have interest in sending him our way, it's time to file this one away.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I don’t know why people are comparing dlo to kyrie. Don’t let his craziness cloud one’s judgment
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Kyrie>>>DLO (25-30 mil) totally 2 different level
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject:

After seeing Kyrie's play last night, if he will play for the same money as DLO, (or slightly more), I'd take that chance...
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
After seeing Kyrie's play last night, if he will play for the same money as DLO, (or slightly more), I'd take that chance...

Doesn't seem doable. Just watching them play it seems like Kyrie would get paid significantly more than DLO.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: DeAngelo or Kyrie or DS

troy wrote:
Taking money/contracts out of it (or not), who would you prefer the Lakers invest in as the starting PG?

Dennis Schröder - best defender of the 3, worst shooter, best character
DeAngelo Russell - consistent shooter, worst defender, decent character
Kyrie Irving - excellent scorer, so-so defender, absolute basketcase

I think the description of DLO needs to be modified to "inconsistent shooter" because he strings together multiple bad shooting games. The other night Schroder stopped playing defense all of a sudden and got pulled from the game. He also does and says some quirky things at times where you wonder what he's thinking. So I'd downgrade Schroder to decent character. Schroder is easily the physically toughest and most durable of the three though. here's what I would modify:

Dennis Schröder - best defender of the 3, worst shooter, worst facilitator, decent character, least injury prone
DeAngelo Russell - inconsistent streaky shooter, good facilitator, worst defender, decent character
Kyrie Irving - elite scorer, good facilitator, so-so defender, absolute basketcase, injury prone
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Kyrie was showing the Lakers why they are wrong for not going after him.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Signing Kyrie this summer would mean renouncing a bunch of our depth and supporting players, and it would put us in a spot like in 2021 when, after trading for Westbrook, we had to fill out the roster with washed-up guys on their last legs.

We got away with it in the early 2000s when the league was weak, but that will not cut it nowadays. The amount of offensive production you must have to be a contender or merely just competitive nowadays is insane, and it requires the kind of depth we have right now.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject:

DShotMaker1824 wrote:
I am still not personally fond of DLO's game. To me he doesn't impact the game much when his three point shot doesn't fall. I'd trade him for Kuzma again.

It's ironic you say that when Kuzma is actually a worse 3-point shooter, percentage-wise, than DLO.

Kuzma: 33.2% this season
DLO: 38.8% this season, 37.1% as a Laker this season
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject:

DLo vs. Kyrie this season

I've always said Kyrie is the better player but the difference isn't this huge chasm like some of you have painted.

Their eFG is only a percentage point difference.

DLo assists at about the same rate.

Oddly Kyrie rebounds much better.

If you have a choice between a sane player who will more likely show up for the next three or four years plus the cap space to keep a few more players and draft picks the choice is obvious.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject:

The options seem to be try and keep DLO with his bird rights OR use cap to sign Kyrie. We don't have Kyrie's bird rights.

Now factor even if we did a sign and trade for Kyrie, it would hard cap us based on the current CBA rules (Yes?). In which case again, flexibility in the roster is done.

The main advantage I see of Kyrie is that it would help the Lakers have 3 stars that fit, but also keep costs down. It's a scenario of well look we tried but we can't really spend more blah blah. It's very beneficial financially.

On the flip, if you keep DLO, you can also make many other moves, you can improve your roster around AD/Bron/DLO/Vandy/Reaves. Considerably.

I personally think keeping DLO is a no brainer situation. You can't get DLO-Kyrie to swap places. The scenarios are that you lose DLO + a lot of your bird rights to other players OR hard cap yourselves with a S&T. Now again, this is maybe what the BFT/Jeanie want, but lets assume they are willing to be a repeat and heavy tax payer. Then keeping DLO, Beasley, Bamba, Rui + Reaves makes a lot more sense. It gives us much more trade assets to work and a better final roster construction by start of next season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:
Kyrie>>>DLO (25-30 mil) totally 2 different level

As I've posted, this isn't the option. It's not a straight up choice. It's sign Kyrie as a FA (assuming he takes a paycut) OR sign and trade for him.

By opting for either capspace OR the S&T option, both scenarios to land Kyrie mean we're saying goodbye to a lot of the depth and new found talent we have on this roster. It would be AD, Bron, Kyrie, Vandy, maybe Reaves, and then a lot of the vet min types. Maybe not even Reaves. I'm not sure why we'd want to do this other than the huge financial incentives.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
DLo vs. Kyrie this season

I've always said Kyrie is the better player but the difference isn't this huge chasm like some of you have painted.

Their eFG is only a percentage point difference.

DLo assists at about the same rate.

Oddly Kyrie rebounds much better.

If you have a choice between a sane player who will more likely show up for the next three or four years plus the cap space to keep a few more players and draft picks the choice is obvious.

The advanced stats there are illuminating. It’s hard to not have recency bias watching Kyrie go ballistic but he isn’t that good all the time. Just like Dlo is not as bad as he looked the last couple and not as insanely good as he looked the first couple when he got back. Thanks for that!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: