Dodgers 2023 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject:

Great info / read LBP.

Hopefully Kershaw gets his fastball together during the season. We are really thin in the pitching department. Urias wasn't looking too good in the spring training and the WBC.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject:

We play the Cubs today. Trayce Thompson is back.

First 3 in our lineup are:

Quote:
1) Heyward
2) Outman
3) Trayce Thompson

Looks like we're going to get these 3 alot of ABs in the remaining games so that we can decide what we'll do in CF to start the year.

This article here says the battle for the final roster spot is down to Outman vs. Yonny Hernandez. I agree. Both have minor league options as well.

Quote:
With Heyward not yet on the 40-man roster, but if we assume he will be added — given the reports above from Dodgers camp — that essentially makes the next two weeks a battle between James Outman and Yonny Hernández for the final spot.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject:

High hopes on Outman and Vargas. Especially Vargas....that boy's swing just looks different from the typical ballplayer. Kinda like when saw Piazza in 1993 and you knew that swing was different.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject:

We had something like an 8-run inning today, with multiple guys getting 2 AB's in the same inning. JD Martinez finally homered (and doubled, I believe) in that inning. Taylor struck out twice in the same inning. I know it's spring training but on the heels of last season and considering that he's been trending in the wrong direction for 3 consecutive years now with the K's, it's most definitely worrisome.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Urias just ain't that guy in the big games

4ip, 4 ER

I think his stuff isn't good enough in the playoffs (as a starter).

I think as a reliever, he's great. But, as an ace starter, I don't think his stuff is good enough to shut down opponents.

I think in the reg season, he's fantastic. Just not in the playoffs.

-------------

Ok, I forgot. These players barely had ST. Shouldn't judge any of these performances harshly.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Seeing Kike play CF makes me think of what a bad decision it was to let him go.

At one point, we had 2 super utility guys: Chris Taylor and Kike Hernandez.

After 2020, we decided to let Kike leave and we gave his job to Zach McKinstry. McKinstry turned out to be a dud who couldn't play a lick of D.

Then we decided to re-up Chris Taylor for an even bigger contract and that's an even bigger disaster.

Looking back, Kike was an elite defender at SS, CF, and 2B. How valuable is that?

That was a bad decision to let him go.

-----------------------------

And just when I say that, dude looks at a called 3rd strike to end the game. wth?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

After 2020, we decided to let Kike leave and we gave his job to Zach McKinstry. McKinstry turned out to be a dud who couldn't play a lick of D.

Then we decided to re-up Chris Taylor for an even bigger contract and that's an even bigger disaster.

Looking back, Kike was an elite defender at SS, CF, and 2B. How valuable is that?

And just when I say that, dude looks at a called 3rd strike to end the game. wth?

Kike like Joc tired of being platooned
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Kike like Joc tired of being platooned

I think money talks. He didn't sign for much with Boston.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

4ip, 4 ER

I think as a reliever, he's great. But, as an ace starter, I don't think his stuff is good enough to shut down opponents.

-------------

Ok, I forgot. These players barely had ST. Shouldn't judge any of these performances harshly.

Yeah I don't think the MLB players train much for the WBC. However I read somewhere that Japan takes WBC very seriously and they train hard for the tournament.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

4ip, 4 ER

-------------

Yeah I don't think the MLB players train much for the WBC. However I read somewhere that Japan takes WBC very seriously and they train hard for the tournament.

The rest of the world takes it very seriously. Most of the Dominican players, when asked, said that they would rather win the WBC than win the World Series, for example. Then you look at the U.S. and we couldn't get any of our ace pitchers to commit to the WBC. You heard what Scherzer said, and I even said that I agreed with him. Meanwhile, the other contenders got commitments from most of their best pitchers.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

4ip, 4 ER

-------------

The rest of the world takes it very seriously. Most of the Dominican players, when asked, said that they would rather win the WBC than win the World Series, for example. Then you look at the U.S. and we couldn't get any of our ace pitchers to commit to the WBC. You heard what Scherzer said, and I even said that I agreed with him. Meanwhile, the other contenders got commitments from most of their best pitchers.

True. The way other countries celebrate every win is more dramatic than the way our team celebrates.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject:

1) Does Gavin Stone sound like Kershaw or what?

Quote:
Gavin Stone Learned His Best Pitch from the Dodgers After Signing With LA

However, Stone told McKain in an exclusive interview that he didn’t actually have that changeup coming into the league — he learned it from the Dodgers.

Quote:
“I never threw a changeup in college,” Stone said. “And so when I got here, obviously, if I wanted to stay a starter, I would have needed something that went that way. And so I started throwing it, and then when I got here for my first spring training, one of the guys named Ryan Dennick, the pitching coordinator, he kind of tinkered with it a little bit and showed me a new grip, and so I’ve been throwing it the same way ever since and it’s been good so far.”

Ryan Dennick deserves an award for this, because Stone, as McKain points out in the video, has one of the nastiest changeups in all of baseball. He’s showcased it this spring to the tune of a 0.00 ERA in 3.2 scoreless innings. He also has allowed just four baserunners — two hits and two walks — and has struck out six.

Stone has been incredibly dominant earlier in spring, and has proven that he deserves a spot on the team’s roster this season. However, if it weren’t for Dennick and the Dodgers, we may not even be having this conversation.

https://dodgersnation.com/gavin-stone-learned-his-best-pitch-from-the-dodgers-after-signing-with-la/2023/03/17/

2) Noah Syndergaard, he pitched in a B game against the Chicago White Sox and came out of it feeling good, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said on SportsNet LA:

Quote:
“It went well. He was [93-95 mph], he went five innings, I think he was right around 60 pitches. Very efficient. Everything was efficient in the zone and looked really good.”

3) Ryan Pepiot Left Friday’s Start Early With Discomfort in His Side

Quote:
Bill Plunkett
@billplunkettocr

Dave Roberts said Ryan Pepiot came out after the #Dodgers long top of the 4th because of discomfort in his side. Shouldn't affect his schedule going forward

Mar 17, 2023

Quote:
The good news is Roberts said this shouldn’t affect his schedule going forward, and he should be able to make his next start. Obviously, the ‘discomfort in his side’ is very vague, but I’m sure the team will know more tomorrow (or maybe they already do). But again, Roberts didn’t sound concerned, so there’s no reason we should be, either.

4) Pepiot the likely front runner to replace Gonsolin?

Quote:
At this point in spring, Pepiot is likely the frontrunner to replace injured RHP Tony Gonsolin in the rotation to start the year. Through three starts, Pepiot has thrown nine innings, and has allowed just two runs while striking out an impressive 13 batters.

Quote:
Noah Camras
@noahcamras

Ryan Pepiot’s day is done. His updated stats this spring:

9 IP
9 H
2 ER
3 BB
13 K
2.00 ERA

He’s making a strong case to fill Tony Gonsolin’s spot on the Opening Day roster.

I think he should be the No. 5 starter, and Andre Jackson should make the roster out of the bullpen.

Quote:
Noah Camras
@noahcamras

Dave Roberts is deciding between three options to replace Tony Gonsolin on the Dodgers Opening Day roster.

Their spring stats thus far:

Ryan Pepiot:
9 IP
9 H
2 ER
3 BB
13 K
2.00 ERA

Michael Grove:
8.2 IP
7 H
4 ER
1 BB
8 K
4.15 ERA

Andre Jackson:
6 IP
5 H
0 ER
1 BB
7 K
0.00 ERA

Looks like we'll be starting the year off with 2 of our top 100 prospects on the opening day roster: Ryan Pepiot and Miguel Vargas.

Pepiot's numbers look wicked. 13 k in 9 ip is great. I was very hard on Pepiot last year (due to his control issues) but looks like he's made improvements this Spring (3 bb in 9 ip). Hopefully, they're real. Pepiot taking the next step makes me feel a lot better about our rotation. I have a feeling Syndergaard might be mediocre this season, so having Pepiot as a backup is great insurance.

Our future rotation is starting to look extremely bright, even with Urias probably leaving:

Quote:
2024 Rotation:

1) Ohtani
2) May
3) Gonsolin
4) Buehler
5) Pepiot

- Stone
- Miller
- Kershaw???
- Grove
- Jackson

- Funny how last year, we were lefty dominant: (Heaney, Urias, Kershaw, Anderson). By next year, if we let Kershaw/Urias go, we might not even have 1 lefty starter.

- And we don't even have a lefty prospect close to ready: The next prospects after these top guys are: (Nastrini, Frasso, Emmett Sheehan, River Ryan). Then comes our highest rated lefty prospect: #17 - Maddux Bruns. 20 years old, drafted out of HS in 2021. It's going to be awhile before we bring up another lefty pitching prospect.

- Going to be interesting to see how Buehler looks next year after 2 TJSs. I wonder if he's willing to give us a cheap 1 yr extension for 2025 + a team option for 2026.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mexico's Benji Gil says quick WBC turnaround to face Puerto Rico a 'disadvantage'

Mexico's manager, Benji Gil, said he doesn't believe his team should be playing until Saturday. Its quarterfinal game against Puerto Rico in this year's World Baseball Classic instead took place on Friday night, which meant a tough turnaround for a team that was navigating the pool-play portion of the tournament nearly 2,500 miles away.

"We're not looking for excuses," Gil said moments before Friday's 5-4 come-from-behid win. "We're not gonna make an excuse if we win, and we're not gonna make an excuse if we lose. But before it's played, it's a hundred percent a disadvantage. And I'm not saying it's a disadvantage because Puerto Rico didn't travel. They were here. And that's fine. That's the way it should be. But at the end of the day, before the tournament happened, the 1-seed was playing on Saturday. And then when stuff got complicated, it became that the U.S. plays on Saturday no matter what."

The World Baseball Classic bracket disseminated by Major League Baseball indicates that the Pool C winner (in this case Mexico) would face the Pool D runner-up (Puerto Rico) on Saturday, with the Pool D winner (Venezuela) playing the Pool C runner-up (Team USA) on Friday.

But the designation comes with an asterisk noting that if Team USA advances, it will play in the second quarterfinal game regardless, a stipulation of MLB's TV deal with Fox. Fox is airing Saturday's game on its main channel; Friday's game, however, was shown on the less popular FS1. The designation was noted on the bracket that MLB released in early February, though it wasn't on the initial schedule from September.

"If it's because of TV -- I'll tell you right now, if I'm not here, if I'm not at the tournament, I'd be watching the game, and I'm not gonna say, 'Oh, I'm not gonna watch the U.S. game because it's on Friday and FS1 instead of Saturday on Fox, the main channel,'" Gil said. "I'm a baseball fan. I love the players that the U.S. has. They're All-Stars. I would be watching that game if it was Friday, if it was Saturday, if it was Sunday."

Looks like I did have the schedule right initially. Yeah, I thought I saw that the US was supposed to play on Friday night in the original bracket.

So, they changed it up for TV purposes. Mexico doesn't like it, but it's also a disadvantage for the US as well. Now, they're set up to play 3 games in 4 nights.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject:

Today's lineup:

Quote:
1) Jason Heyward (L) CF
2) Freddie Freeman (L) DH
3) Trayce Thompson (R) LF
4) James Outman (L) RF
5) Chris Taylor (R) 3B
6) Miguel Rojas (R) SS
7) Yonny Hernandez (S) 2B
8) Hunter Feduccia (L) C
9) Devin Mann (R) 1B

Yeah, looks like we're going to use every game to evaluate the 3 CF's: Heyward, Outman, Thompson
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Today's lineup:

Quote:
1) Jason Heyward (L) CF
2) Freddie Freeman (L) DH
3) Trayce Thompson (R) LF
4) James Outman (L) RF
5) Chris Taylor (R) 3B
6) Miguel Rojas (R) SS
7) Yonny Hernandez (S) 2B
8) Hunter Feduccia (L) C
9) Devin Mann (R) 1B

Yeah, looks like we're going to use every game to evaluate the 3 CF's: Heyward, Outman, Thompson

Good to see Freeman in the lineup. I guess it wasn't really an injury from WBC.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

1) Chris Taylor's struggles:

Quote:
Noah Camras
@noahcamras

Chris Taylor's 2023 spring training stats for the Dodgers:

.091/.231/.091
3-33
0 XBH
1 RBI
5 BB
14 K
35.9 K%

It's hard not to be concerned, especially after his struggles last season.

Last year, Taylor hit .221 with 160 Ks and a K% of 35.2%. In the NLDS, he went 0-7 with 5 Ks.

2) Sounds like Roberts' confirms that Outman starts the season in AAA:

Quote:
Stacie Wheeler
@StacieMWheeler

Dave Roberts said there’s a chance outfielder James Outman makes the #Dodgers Opening Day roster, but he’ll likely start the season in Triple-A with remaining options.

3) Dodgers' Jimmy Nelson: Not a lock for Opening Day roster

Quote:
Nelson is projected to make the Opening Day roster for the Dodgers, Juan Toribio of MLB.com reports.

Nelson signed a one-year, $1.2 million contract with the Dodgers after missing all of the 2022 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, and he's struggled to throw strikes in the Cactus League with eight walks against zero strikeouts over four appearances and 2.1 innings. It's not surprising that there's some things to iron out considering how much time Nelson has missed, but the lack of strike-throwing at least puts him on the roster bubble.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Grove is losing this competition for the 5th starter to Pepiot.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject:

USA jumping out to a big lead in the first.

Up 3-0 with man on second and third with no outs.

Edit: Venezuela wins the challenge at second so 1 out.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

I wasn't happy we lost him at the time. Same with Joc. After we flamed out this season, there was talk about how the team lacked energy and had a "been there, done that" attitude. Those two guys were by FAR our biggest hype guys on the team. Both were proven playoff performers as well.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Bard is single handedly throwing this game away.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

Bard or DeRosa?

He got 0 outs and loaded the bases twice now?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Bard or DeRosa?

Both!!! LOL

Actually more DeRosa.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Bard or DeRosa?

Both!!! LOL

I think Bard sucked last time he pitched too
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm still amazed these guys went through 10 days of Spring Training and then straight to the playoffs.

Wow!!!
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Well there goes the lead.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 16 of 314
Jump to: