OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2603, 2604, 2605 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
LakersARETheGOAT wrote:
2 bad games and some are turning on him already

Sad to see it

Please. Most like dlo but there’re a bunch saying he’s a 30-35 m player.

We just got off a bad contract. Have been hamstrung with bad contracts in recent years. The guys turning on him aren’t any different than the flip side.

He’s a 3rd 4th option. No one expected him to step up as a number 2 and win this game. He’s not that guy.

I would pay him 25-30 mil, nothing more. He can shoot(streaky), but he keeps defense honest. We just can’t ever have him do Iso attacks, he really sucks at those
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:22 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
LakersARETheGOAT wrote:
2 bad games and some are turning on him already

Sad to see it

Please. Most like dlo but there’re a bunch saying he’s a 30-35 m player.

We just got off a bad contract. Have been hamstrung with bad contracts in recent years. The guys turning on him aren’t any different than the flip side.

He’s a 3rd 4th option. No one expected him to step up as a number 2 and win this game. He’s not that guy.

I would pay him 25-30 mil, nothing more. He can shoot(streaky), but he keeps defense honest. We just can’t ever have him do Iso attacks, he really sucks at those

Unfortunately he is the best we got from the perimeter with no Bron. With Bron though, he wont have to carry that load.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Happy we got DLO.

But Kyrie is a bad man.
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:47 pm    Post subject:

The box score shows 11 assists and O turnovers. Yeah, his shot wasn't falling but he took them with confidence, there was no fear. I can live with that.
Black Sheep
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:12 am    Post subject:

He never appeared in the 4th quarter. That's all I have to say.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject:

Three bad shooting games in a row from DLO.

I'm glad we have him, but his shooting percentages have gone up and down each season. I wonder if he will maintain the strong efficiency we've seen from him overall this season.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:54 am    Post subject:

aiel wrote:
The box score shows 11 assists and O turnovers. Yeah, his shot wasn't falling but he took them with confidence, there was no fear. I can live with that.

He contributes like that when his shot is off. Against OKC his shot wasn't falling but he had some key defensive plays and good passes to get guys opportunities/fouled to stop the momentum of OKC at times.. Essentially when his shot isn't falling he still distributes well and gets guys in positions to score or be fouled and to the line.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:15 am    Post subject:

Bad decision making on the last 3. You're 0-5, so get the (bleep) ball to AD. It's not rocket science.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

I'm glad we have him, but his shooting percentages have gone up and down each season. I wonder if he will maintain the strong efficiency we've seen from him overall this season.

I was saying this when LA got him. I've seen him move around the league. He's a really good player, but his shooting and shot making is streaky. It is fine as a 3rd option, but when LA pays him 30M a year and he does this stuff, it will wear on fans and probably the FO's patience.

What championship #3s are usually great at - they usually will give you some great defense, other intangible skills. We had that with Lamar Odom. KCP in a way. You know those little things. Go and make those little key defensive plays or hustles. When Lebron is back, the ball is going through him and AD. What you want around players like that is elite defensive players that can knock down shots. DLO fits the knocking down shots part, but not so much the rest.

DLO is an explosive scorer, and plays a very clean A/TO passing game. Big upgrade over WB. But if you take the WB thing out of the equation, I don't think the large majority of the fanbase would support signing him as a FA at 120/3. What I mean by that. If we were DLO were a FA of another team and we had some cap, we wouldn't see massive support to grab him at 30M a year. Would he really be a better fit than say having a 20M 2-way wing and a 10M backup PG? Issue is we don't have that luxury of options.

In our current situation, having given up a lotto pick for moving WB, we need to keep him regardless. Even though I have my doubts that this current group can win a title, I certainly think they are good enough to make the playoffs and be a playoff team (top 6) next year if AD/Bron give us 50+ games. And you can't just let assets walk. We gave up a lotto pick to get DLO, Vandy, Beas. We improved quite a bit. That's where it gets tricky. Some will argue that improvemet is from 12th/13th (Where the team was with Westbrook) to 7th/8th/play in. Some will say, no the improvement is to the a title level team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:11 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I was saying this when LA got him. I've seen him move around the league. He's a really good player, but his shooting and shot making is streaky. It is fine as a 3rd option, but when LA pays him 30M a year and he does this stuff, it will wear on fans and probably the FO's patience.

What championship #3s are usually great at - they usually will give you some great defense, other intangible skills. We had that with Lamar Odom. KCP in a way. You know those little things. Go and make those little key defensive plays or hustles. When Lebron is back, the ball is going through him and AD. What you want around players like that is elite defensive players that can knock down shots. DLO fits the knocking down shots part, but not so much the rest.

DLO is an explosive scorer, and plays a very clean A/TO passing game. Big upgrade over WB. But if you take the WB thing out of the equation, I don't think the large majority of the fanbase would support signing him as a FA at 120/3. What I mean by that. If we were DLO were a FA of another team and we had some cap, we wouldn't see massive support to grab him at 30M a year. Would he really be a better fit than say having a 20M 2-way wing and a 10M backup PG? Issue is we don't have that luxury of options.

In our current situation, having given up a lotto pick for moving WB, we need to keep him regardless. Even though I have my doubts that this current group can win a title, I certainly think they are good enough to make the playoffs and be a playoff team (top 6) next year if AD/Bron give us 50+ games. And you can't just let assets walk. We gave up a lotto pick to get DLO, Vandy, Beas. We improved quite a bit. That's where it gets tricky. Some will argue that improvemet is from 12th/13th (Where the team was with Westbrook) to 7th/8th/play in. Some will say, no the improvement is to the a title level team.

I have no doubts this team as constructed can win a title if LeBron James is starting over Troy Brown Jr.

The problem is if LeBron James is on the court and playing.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Painful game to see DLO miss shot after (bleep) while Kyrie simply couldn’t miss. I’m in camp DLo here because it’s not just Dlo but other good stuff you get keep plus Dlo. Statement game from Kyrie though. Truly felt like it. Dlo is not this bad. Hell less than a week ago we saw him light it up. Only good thing that comes from this is maybe we can sign Dlo for less now haha.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject:

5 for 17 against Houston
5 for 17 against Dallas

He continues to (bleep) the bed.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject:

The mistake you’re making is comparing him to Kyrie Irving

He’s not that level of player

Do you want to go back to having one super good player and a bunch of scrubs you don’t trust me
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Problem with DLO is he is too inconsistent. He will play poorly for extended stretches then will play great for a stretch. When the top players have a bad game they almost always come back strong in the next one. Not sure why some players are prone to going in slumps while others can right the ship quickly. Must be a mental toughness the great ones have. This can kill you in a series if they are in one of their slumps. DLO can be no better than a #3 on a great team. He just won't cut it as a #2. Kyrie is rock steady #2, on par with AD, as long as he's healthy. He can take over games, but he's not someone you will win a championship with as a #1.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Right now Kyrie is a much better player. Even before you get into contracts, baggage etc....Kyrie is 31...D'LO is 27...I would take DLO over Kyrie over the next 4 years. There are lots of short point guards whose game fell off a cliff in 30s.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject:

D'lo is a 3rd/4th guy. Kyrie is a 1b/2.

Don't that why means D'lo should be blamed or judged. We need AD to be a #1 and LeBron to get healthy. Once that happens, D'lo is a great fit. Just need to add some size.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
D'lo is a 3rd/4th guy. Kyrie is a 1b/2.

Don't that why means D'lo should be blamed or judged. We need AD to be a #1 and LeBron to get healthy. Once that happens, D'lo is a great fit. Just need to add some size.

Lebron isn't getting healthy at 38. That's just an albatross contract at this point. Both his availability and effectiveness are in a decline. He has played 45 games, 56 games and 47 games in the last 3 seasons. He only played 60 games once in his 5 years with Lakers....that was in the covid shortened season...when Lakers were #1 team in regular season and won the championship.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Besides the bolded, DLO gives us good facilitating and ball-handling, which we sorely need with LeBron getting old and maybe injury-prone. Like Westbrook, DLO can play fast and create extra fast-break opportunities, but unlike Westbrook, he doesn't play frantically or take risks that don't need to be taken.

Sometimes you need to overpay a bit to keep your own players and try to win a chip. Maybe $30 mil a year would be fine for him, but nothing more than that.

Unlike you, I think this team can contend for a chip next season, especially if we add a 3-and-D wing at the 2/3 positions. We have the depth to keep LeBron at 32 minutes a game and reduce his injury risk. Who knows, maybe that alone will allow hit to appear in 65-70 games next season.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject:

^ One thing I've noticed about championship #3s over the years is that they do tend to be a little inconsistent with their shooting.

It was true for Klay when KD was in Golden Sate, it was true for Kevin Love when LeBron went back to Cleveland, and Chris Bosh had a difficult time before that when LeBron took his talents to South Beach.

We just need DLO to be good more often than he is bad and keep his overall shooting %s on the season as high as they've been this season.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Thinking about it more, I like that D Lo didn't have fear at the end of the game.

Was a good shot - no. Should he have passed it - yes.

But he was playing with no fear and he did tone it down a bit and play off ball later in the game, I think you want him to be confident that he can hit that big shot.

He also showed some nice passing earlier in the game, I think he will bounce back here down the stretch.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
^ One thing I've noticed about championship #3s over the years is that they do tend to be a little inconsistent with their shooting.

It was true for Klay when KD was in Golden Sate, it was true for Kevin Love when LeBron went back to Cleveland, and Chris Bosh had a difficult time before that when LeBron took his talents to South Beach.

We just need DLO to be good more often than he is bad and keep his overall shooting %s on the season as high as they've been this season.

That's a good point. I don't think there's a huge talent gap between Miami Bosh, Cleveland Love, and current DLO. All these guys were/are sorta 16-18 and 10 players.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Bad decision making on the last 3. You're 0-5, so get the (bleep) ball to AD. It's not rocket science.

He gave the "(bleep)" ball to AD in the post, who was doubled by the man guarding DeAngelo.
So AD gave the ball back to him with 6 sec left on the clock, and Dlo was reasonably open as the man guarding reaves was rotating to him.

I want DeAngelo taking that shot, even if he is 0-5
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:02 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
slavavov wrote:

That's a good point. I don't think there's a huge talent gap between Miami Bosh, Cleveland Love, and current DLO. All these guys were/are sorta 16-18 and 10 players.

Bosh is a Hall of Famer. DLO is a one time replacement all star. Huge difference.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject:

Prime Bosh >>>> DLO, let's not mince our words here. He was a great defender, and radically shifted his game into effectively a Stretch 4/5 so that LBJ (and Wade) had more space to operate, but as a #1 option he averaged 24/11 in an era where stats meant something. And he looked damn good before health became an issue post-LeBron.

I'm literally offended on his behalf that people are comparing Bosh to DLO, and yall know I love DLO.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject:

When it comes to what DLO is "worth" it's a hard question, I think he's a fantastic third option. He is a bad second and first option but has just enough of that ability to try to demand more money than he's "worth" IMO.

At the end of the day, a healthy LeBron/AD + DLO + depth is a serious contender IMO, the problem is I don't think I trust DLO as the primary playmaker when LeBron is injured/ resting as he inevitably will. But I'm not sure you'll get much better than him while maintaining cap flexibility to keep depth guys.

Also, DLO is not a malcontent despite his reputation during his initial stint here. That's worth something.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2603, 2604, 2605 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2604 of 2856
Jump to: