NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1379, 1380, 1381 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
^sheesh, you got that right! I have no idea what you’re even arguing anymore. None of it makes sense to me. You somehow think it’s bad business to negotiate rookies on 3yr+ deals vs 2, when it’s common practice in the NBA.

No, you're actively trying to avoid understanding the point because it undercuts your pet idea. So now you're throwing out an irrelevant strawman argument. At least your strawman argument uses the word "negotiate," so maybe a little bit of what I'm saying is leaking through your defenses. I can't make you accept the facts. All I can do is point them out to you.

This discussion sort of reminds me of Pincus' hare-brained idea back in the day about extending Deng's contract so that we could stretch him at a lower annual cap hit. It was a clever bit of capology that had zero chance of working in the real world.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Bruh. They’re literally arguing about a 3 year rookie contract vs 2 year rookie contract. No one cares. They’re just arguing to one up the other about who is the most right. No one cares.

Sounds like we just picked up some cheap real estate.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Bruh. They’re literally arguing about a 3 year rookie contract vs 2 year rookie contract. No one cares. They’re just arguing to one up the other about who is the most right. No one cares.

Haha 100% agree.. trying to be correct on public forum is so cringe worthy... 😂
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

The three of them seem to be having a spirited debate. If you don't care about the debate, that's cool. But I like that it is a fact-focused, civil debate about a substantial topic that hasn't been beaten to death on this board.

I much prefer seeing a discussion like this over seeing the 1,000th post of how much someone thinks DLo should be paid next year or the 1,000th post guessing when Players X and Y will return from their injuries.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject:

^Says the Jason Derulo, Jesus Shuittlesworth, LGstalkerfan, whatever trash account you go by now…trying to correct their image on this site, after getting banned. Talk about cringe…sheesh! Read the room fella

We was discussing Lakers/sports on a Lakers/sports forum then some members rather choose to discuss us. We ain’t worthy of y’all attention. Cringe worthy indeed.

Anywho, AH lawyered me into submission. @G and I made our points. I’ll take my own advice and read the room. Deuce for now ✌🏼…

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject:

I hope every agent tells this to their clients:

Quote:
“They suspended him for being bad for business,” one prominent player agent told Heavy Sports. “I’m sure the people in the league office are concerned for Ja as a person, too, but they have to prioritize the business. His family, the team and the other people around him have to be there to support the guy, but everybody has to know where the league is on this.

“I tell all my players: this is all a giant machine. Yeah, it runs on your talent, but it’s the business the league has grown that draws in the money. The popularity of the league gives you the platform not only for your salary but for the endorsements and all the other revenue that’s out there for you. Companies want to be associated with the NBA, and you can see that in how much the value of these franchises has gone up. The guys who really make bank are the ones who understand how everything’s tied together.

“You’re definitely still your own man, but you represent your family, your team and the league, too. And you have to be careful out there.”

https://heavy.com/sports/bad-for-business-nba-sources-weigh-in-on-grizzlies-ja-morant/
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
^Says the Jason Derulo, Jesus Shuittlesworth, LGstalkerfan, whatever trash account you go by now…trying to correct their image on this site, after getting banned. Talk about cringe…sheesh! Read the room fella

We was discussing Lakers/sports on a Lakers/sports forum then some members rather choose to discuss us. We ain’t worthy of y’all attention. Cringe worthy indeed.

Anywho, AH lawyered me into submission. @G and I made our points. I’ll take my own advice and read the room. Deuce for now ✌🏼…

*Michael Jackson Eating Popcorn*
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Let's cut out the personal insults back and forth. Thanks.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I hope every agent tells this to their clients:

Quote:
“They suspended him for being bad for business,” one prominent player agent told Heavy Sports. “I’m sure the people in the league office are concerned for Ja as a person, too, but they have to prioritize the business. His family, the team and the other people around him have to be there to support the guy, but everybody has to know where the league is on this.

“I tell all my players: this is all a giant machine. Yeah, it runs on your talent, but it’s the business the league has grown that draws in the money. The popularity of the league gives you the platform not only for your salary but for the endorsements and all the other revenue that’s out there for you. Companies want to be associated with the NBA, and you can see that in how much the value of these franchises has gone up. The guys who really make bank are the ones who understand how everything’s tied together.

“You’re definitely still your own man, but you represent your family, your team and the league, too. And you have to be careful out there.”

https://heavy.com/sports/bad-for-business-nba-sources-weigh-in-on-grizzlies-ja-morant/

Not surprising at all. Silver leaned under Stern who famously went gangsta on Melo. Even before the incident, people here seemed irked about Morant. I had taken a liking to him though I worry how much his reckless style of play is sustainable. I hope he figures it out. Dillon Brooks aside, I don't mind the Grizz's precociousness. They've brought some relevance to a largely-ignored market over the past few years. Other than being a Laker fan, I don't mind the occasional underdog story.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

🙏🏻
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

This would all be easier and we would all get along so much better if Jeannie just listens to us and forks over a bajillion dollars this summer.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

This would all be easier and we would all get along so much better if Jeannie just listens to us and forks over a bajillion dollars this summer.

Only a bajiillion? Wow, super cheap

Just pay Reaves what he wants. He's a talented player who brings much needed energy and passion to the side. It's not about his box scores which are still good, it's about the intangibles he brings also.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
A great potetial trade for us is Bamba, Beasley and the 2023 #1 pick.

That's an intriguing idea. There could be teams that want Bamba and Beasley, but more importantly, there could be teams who want to clear cap space and/or get out of a luxury tax hole. They could decline the option on Beasley, waive Bamba, and pocket the draft pick. This could require some structuring, because I know that there are some quirks about trading draft picks on draft night. But it would be do-able.

My understanding is that you cannot trade players after the season with upcoming options unless the opt-in is exercised. I thought non-guaranteed deals worked the same way. If I'm wrong then Beasley's deal becomes significantly more valuable. I might have to give Rob credit on this one if so.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

That's an intriguing idea. There could be teams that want Bamba and Beasley, but more importantly, there could be teams who want to clear cap space and/or get out of a luxury tax hole. They could decline the option on Beasley, waive Bamba, and pocket the draft pick. This could require some structuring, because I know that there are some quirks about trading draft picks on draft night. But it would be do-able.

My understanding is that you cannot trade players after the season with upcoming options unless the opt-in is exercised. I thought non-guaranteed deals worked the same way. If I'm wrong then Beasley's deal becomes significantly more valuable. I might have to give Rob credit on this one if so.

Draft day deal.

On draft day we can move our 23 FRP.
We can move Beas/Mo and the new team gets the pick and can cut them.

The new team gets a lot of cap savings and a pick
We get a 20-25M level starter.

Assuming this level player is available, this is the way they could go to maximize their assets. Then try to re-sign DLO and Reaves. Of course this is all on theory that Jeanie will agree to a repeater tax.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Draft day deal.

Assuming this level player is available, this is the way they could go to maximize their assets. Then try to re-sign DLO and Reaves. Of course this is all on theory that Jeanie will agree to a repeater tax.

He's right about Beasley. We can't trade him if his contract could end due to an option. I think Bamba is tradeable, though.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Draft day deal.

He's right about Beasley. We can't trade him if his contract could end due to an option. I think Bamba is tradeable, though.

It is a team option, so they just have to exercise the option if they want to trade his salary or keep him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
It is a team option, so they just have to exercise the option if they want to trade his salary or keep him.

Right, but I had suggested the possibility that we could trade Beasley and Bamba to a team that wanted to clear cap space or reduce luxury tax exposure. That won't work with Beasley.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:

Right, but I had suggested the possibility that we could trade Beasley and Bamba to a team that wanted to clear cap space or reduce luxury tax exposure. That won't work with Beasley.

I see. That is true.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Apologies for my actions and appreciate your prompt actions.

I’ll be better about keepin it movin. 🫡

gng930 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Yep!

Quote:
Coon: When the trade deadline has passed. Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.

After the trade deadline, the season ends when you’re disqualified from the postseason. So non-playoff teams can still trade among one another past April 9th and playoff teams can only trade players that are not included on their 12 man playoff roster.

Beas can be traded, as long as his option is picked up first making him an expiring 16.5m.

As for Mo/Vando/Reed, any player on a partially or fully nonguaranteed deal, they can also be traded, but salary aggregation is based on how much guaranteed money their deals are in outgoing money. For example Mo’s 10.3m fully nonguaranteed contract cannot be traded for a 13m player (125% + 100k) if his entire 10.3m is not fully guaranteed before the trade.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject:

So a team primarily looking to clear salaries would only be motivated to take a Beas + Mo package (absent other assets) if they are sending out a salary substantially more than Beasley's 16 million. Going through the salary rankings:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/

CP3, Lowry, and Hayward stand out. Yuck. Derozan too but probably isn't a good fit; we need better defenders around Bron/AD/DLO. Collins isn't very palatable either.

If you look to send Mo's deal on its own, you can help a team clear out about $12+ million off the books. I'm not seeing anyone in that range that moves the needle. Not surprising when your search filter is basically players that teams are looking to dump. Is there maybe a team that could use that 12 million to make a bigger splash in free agency? They'd be more motivated to send out more useful players.

So if you're looking to leverage Mo's non-guaranteed deal to spare our assets otherwise then it's not looking great. Feels like we'd need to attach assets.

EDIT: Never mind, V+ confirmed that Mo's non-guaranteed deal doesn't really confer any advantage over Beas' team option. So we're back to attaching assets as I don't see Beas at $16 mil or Mo at $10 mil as positive assets.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
So you guys are arguing about paying Austin peanuts next season vs market value? If they want to keep him then just pay him what he’s worth! It’s not a debate.

Alright dang it. After tonight's game, pay the man.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers are working out free agent centers Tristan Thompson and Tony Bradley this week, sources tell me and @jovanbuha. Thompson, an 11-year NBA veteran, was a key member of the 2016 championship Cavaliers team alongside LeBron James.

Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

Nice, Tristan Thompson or Tony Bradley guys?
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1637682102618542080?s=21&t=ZoHXwVMbXHHckIS3_ZEh4w

Quote:
Lakers are working out free agent centers Tristan Thompson and Tony Bradley this week, sources tell me and @jovanbuha. Thompson, an 11-year NBA veteran, was a key member of the 2016 championship Cavaliers team alongside LeBron James.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Imagine how bad the Boogie workout was to have them bring in Tristan Thompson.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1379, 1380, 1381 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next
Page 1380 of 2546
Jump to: