THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3485, 3486, 3487 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
NYT: Trump Claims His Arrest Is Imminent and Calls for Protests, Echoing Jan. 6

I hope he does get arrested. But I'm just gonna assume he's above the law, until I'm proven wrong. Since he won the Presidency, there's been too many similar articles to this, that never came true.

I want it to be true. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Same. He will probably get away with every crime he's ever committed.

The one thing he might not be able to get away with is if the DOJ can nail him for passing/selling top secret documents to foreign actors. Just stealing them in the first place would land anyone else in prison. But with Trump they'd probably have to prove actual espionage for him to go down.

But again, not holding my breath.

(There's a higher probability that high cholesterol, high blood pressure or a fall takes him out before the rule of law does.)

🤞🏾 that he's arrested. I'm going to oil the hinges on the door of hope. May it swing wide open uninhibited.

Bragg is in a position to stand up for the rule of law or play politics. If he goes through with an arrest he will be a hero or a goat. How grande are his cojones?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject:

"Arrested" is different than "convicted" and "jail time." Simply being arrested isn't enough to make a dent in Trump's lifestyle. That's what we skeptics are referring to when we say we doubt he'll be "punished."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
"Arrested" is different than "convicted" and "jail time." Simply being arrested isn't enough to make a dent in Trump's lifestyle. That's what we skeptics are referring to when we say we doubt he'll be "punished."

He'll turn it into a badge of honor, highlighting it as proof of his persecution at the hands of the evil, criminal left.

Sadly, given that he will most likely never be successfully prosecuted, he will appear to be correct . . . just a which hunt that went nowhere.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject:

He has a rally scheduled on the 30th anniversary of kouresh.....in Waco
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject:

Wacko, TX

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject:

Top comment on Reddit is "PPV livestream the arrest and solve the national debt"

How hasn't he been charged for the stolen documents
Never charged for crimes during Covid - guarantee Billions were stolen
Why isn't his son in-law being investigated for receiving 2 Billion (2,000 Million) from Saudi Arabia
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject:

Brian Tyler Cohen

(BREAKING: Unexpected news on Trump SURRENDERING)

Quote:
The Legal Breakdown episode 34: @GlennKirschner2 joins to discuss the development from Trump's lawyer that Trump would surrender without protest if indict on criminal charges in the Manhattan DA case.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject:

David Pakman Show

(Caller loves Gavin Newsom being ruthless)

Quote:
-- Caller praises Gavin Newsom's rhetorical strategy

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject:

MeidasTouch

(Trump lawyer Alina Habba makes PANICKED MOVE amid CRUSHING investigations)

Quote:
Michael Popok of Legal AF reports on Donald Trump’s civil lawyers led by Alina Habba in an “abuse of process” using subpoenas in the NY attorney general civil fraud case to learn the status of all Manhattan DA criminal prosecution investigations against him.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject:

Does Melania think he is guilty?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

I understand.
Punished is a topic for another debate.

To my knowledge, Ulysses S. Grant is the only American president to be arrested. If Trump is arrested it would set a precedence for other prosecutors. It would probably be an enormous cost to taxpayers but also to Trump. Bottom line, most likely all for naught but worth it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(O’Donnell: Trump’s Truth Social post is a desperate attempt to increase rally sizes)

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump claimed in a post on Truth Social that "illegal leaks" indicate he will be arrested Tuesday as he is facing possible criminal charges in New York relating to a hush money payment to adult film star Stormy Daniels. MSNBC's Lawrence O’Donnell explains why this is an attempt by Trump to increase the size of his rallies and aid his campaign for president in 2024.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject:

The Young Turks

(Trump Voters: We're Against Separation of Church & State)

Quote:
Trump supporters ranting about how much they hate the separation between church and state.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject:

The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder

(US Slavery's Indigenous Expulsion Connection | Claudio Saunt | TMR)

Quote:
Sam and Emma host Claudio Saunt, professor of American History at the University of Georgia, to discuss his book Unworthy Republic: The Dispossession of Native Americans and the Road to Indian Territory. Claudio Saunt then joins as he dives right into the Indian Removal Act of 1830, contextualizing it within the first half-century of American existence, with the vigilante-esque dispossession and deportation of Indigenous communities beginning with European arrival on the continent, but settling into a more formalized form of imperialism by the early 19th Century until the Indian Removal act arrived on the House floor and became perhaps the most controversial legislation in US History. Zooming out, Saunt, Sam, and Emma walk through the state of Indigenous communities in America at the start of the 1800s, with the south largely dominated by peoples including the Choctaws, Chickasaws, Seminoles, and Cherokees, with their communities built along the soil of the black belt, where their ancestors have cultivated their land and culture for ages, while the colonizing force of southern slave owners grew in their greed and desire for domination and expansion. This brings them to the role of the slave owners in the passage of the Indian Removal Act, with a relentless push from the institutions of the south (from state governments to newspapers and more) to promote this vision of a southern slave-owning empire, beginning with the expansions into GA, AL, and MS, before moving towards pacific, Mexico, and the Caribbean, not only becoming masters of those within the southern borders but dominating the American union writ large. Moving into the election of Andrew Jackson, Claudio, Sam, and Emma dive into the pressure campaign from the South (Jackson’s base) that centered the passage of the IRA only two years into his administration, balancing political threats with a fig-leaf of Christian imperialism (emphasizing “deportation as salvation”) to force the final five votes across the aisle to pass the act. They also parse through the atrocities of the greed of southern slave owners, deporting over 80k people via tactics of starvation, famine, mob violence, and general genocidal rule, as the federal government grew to a size unseen in the US before, recording every inch of people, property, and land that they claimed for themselves, and keeping track of the massive finances they spent in the process, enflamed by the multiple wars fought against the Seminoles and others. They wrap up the interview by tackling the role of the north in investing in these southern institutions, cementing their role in US society, and transforming the national economy for good.

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I know I've said this before, but the best thing for Biden and the Democrats is for Trump to win the nomination. I'm with tox on this one. Trump is too, pardon the pun, toxic. Too loathed. Optics are more important for voters than facts are, so DeSantis being almost as terrible as Trump is from a policy standpoint won't be the issue. He'll be seen as a younger alternative, and millions of swing state voters probably don't mind a little authoritarianism with their candidates. We can throw the popular vote out the window, as it's irrelevant: Trump almost won the last election, as awful, truly awful as he is. Yes, Biden is the incumbent and that historically helps, but I do worry about the age thing, as he'll be asking voters to give him another term at age 82. If he happens to offer up gaffe after gaffe in the lead up to the election, the optics might look terrible for swing state voters when compared to a much younger man who, whatever he's saying, probably won't be making too many language gaffes. If DeSantis is seen as a much younger alternative and if voters are fooled by the optics of him not being as bombastic, and given that in many swing states his fascism could be seen as "strong leadership", I could absolutely see him winning the general. I just can't see Trump doing so. He's truly, truly hated by not only the left, but by many independents too. As for what I think Biden's biggest weakness is, well, Trump is not that much younger and he's also prone to verbal gaffes and looking like he's well past his mental prime. I fear that DeSantis will not be hated by enough people in the middle, and I think the right will still get out and vote for him.

This is why I hope Trump gets indicted. Go ahead Donald, paint yourself as a martyr. Rally your sheep. Win the nomination. Then lose the general.

If Desantis wins the nomination. I think he'll have the same issue Romney and McCain had.
He'll get sane Republicans to vote for him in the general election. But he won't galvanize enough of the looney tunes wing of voters.
And Trump will burn the Republican party to the ground if he loses the nomination. Every single thing he's said about the 2020 election will be said about the GOP primary. And his people won't show up in the general election for Desantis.
Trump is a cult leader. For example. If the nomination process has started, and Trump has a heart attack on the crapper. Surrounded by McDonalds and cocaine. His followers would deny all objective evidence and claim Desantis and "establishment Republicans" killed him. That's how looney tunes those people are.

I'm not sure about the bolded.

DeSatan's signature thing is being anti-woke, which really means being anti-civil rights and anti-LGBTQ rights and against inclusion. It has led to him trying to dictate what can and cannot be taught in his public schools.

The MAGA cult was big on fighting against what they saw as "political correctness," which now is called "woke," and these people also hate public schools and support the idea of turning all of them into private Christian charter schools under the false guise of "school choice."

The MAGA cult claims to support "free speech," but they want to silence any viewpoints they don't agree with, as well as left-wing athletes and celebrities like LeBron and Colin Kaepernick, but when Kyrie Irving or Aaron Rodgers spouts their anti-vax BS, they love it and amplify and promote what they say.

There is video of DeSatan being hostile to journalists who ask him questions he doesn't want to hear, just like Trump has.

After all that, plus DeSatan not taking COVID seriously, sending migrants to NY and wanting to ban abortion, I don't understand how Trump followers wouldn't eventually coalsce around him.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject:

Brian Tyler Cohen

(Trump's "indictment protest" post BACKFIRES on him HORRIBLY)

Quote:
The Legal Breakdown episode 35: @GlennKirschner2 joins to discuss how Trump's Truth Social post calling for his supporters to "protest" his impending indictment will backfire on him.

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject:

"Come to the Capitol on January 6! Will be wild!"

"Stand back and stand by."

-- Resulted in a riot & insurrection at the Capitol.

"Protest! Take our country back!"

I sure hope the judge takes notice of this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject:

By the way, isn’t this is weakest of indictments regarding the Stormy Daniels hush money crime?

I would rather it be some serious crime that he can’t get out of jail for.
What is taking Jack Smith so damn long??
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

DeSatan's signature thing is being anti-woke, which really means being anti-civil rights and anti-LGBTQ rights and against inclusion. It has led to him trying to dictate what can and cannot be taught in his public schools.

The MAGA cult was big on fighting against what they saw as "political correctness," which now is called "woke," and these people also hate public schools and support the idea of turning all of them into private Christian charter schools under the false guise of "school choice."

The MAGA cult claims to support "free speech," but they want to silence any viewpoints they don't agree with, as well as left-wing athletes and celebrities like LeBron and Colin Kaepernick, but when Kyrie Irving or Aaron Rodgers spouts their anti-vax BS, they love it and amplify and promote what they say.

There is video of DeSatan being hostile to journalists who ask him questions he doesn't want to hear, just like Trump has.

After all that, plus DeSatan not taking COVID seriously, sending migrants to NY and wanting to ban abortion, I don't understand how Trump followers wouldn't eventually coalsce around him.

That could only happen if Trump actually concedes the primary, which will never happen. If he loses, he'll create chaos. But that won't even matter because he will win the primary easily.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject:

PoliticsGirl

(Trump Arrest)

Quote:
How should we respond to a Trump arrest?

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
slavavov wrote:

That could only happen if Trump actually concedes the primary, which will never happen. If he loses, he'll create chaos. But that won't even matter because he will win the primary easily.

It kinda reminds me of playoff brackets.
I hope the worse team wins, when I know the Lakers have to play the winner next round.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

He'll turn it into a badge of honor, highlighting it as proof of his persecution at the hands of the evil, criminal left.

Sadly, given that he will most likely never be successfully prosecuted, he will appear to be correct . . . just a which hunt that went nowhere.

I'd take it. I'd rather the scenario you described over the current situation.
Felt the same way leading up to Trump's 1st impeachment.
Just like right now. Trump clearly broke the law. And he was impeached by the House for it. Even though the House knew Trump wouldn't be convicted by the Senate.
GOOD! It's fair to compare arresting him now to impeaching him then. It's fair to say proceeding is ceremonial knowing the result (no conviction). You could even argue it is a net negative. But in my view, there has to be at least some resistance to blatant criminality. There has to be pushback. I can't accept the status quo of Trump (bleep) slapping the justice system.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject:

He can run for president if charged with a Felony but not if found guilty of a felony, is that correct?

What happened to big news from Georgia
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:42 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Just like right now. Trump clearly broke the law. And he was impeached by the House for it. Even though the House knew Trump wouldn't be convicted by the Senate.
GOOD! It's fair to compare arresting him now to impeaching him then. It's fair to say proceeding is ceremonial knowing the result (no conviction). You could even argue it is a net negative. But in my view, there has to be at least some resistance to blatant criminality. There has to be pushback. I can't accept the status quo of Trump (bleep) slapping the justice system.

I agree with you. I just think it will all add up to too much baggage for the voters that will decide the election.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I think he should have been arrested a long time ago for the much more significant crimes against the nation he has committed rather than this pointless crime. That's why I have been railing against Garland's cowardice for the last couple of years. Far too little has been done for far too long now.

So, I'm not arguing that he shouldn't be arrested, I am simply pointing to the dynamic that is going to result if he is (which I still have my doubts). I'm also kind of wondering he made this whole Tuesday arrest thing up as a pre-emptive to move; he gets his cult all worked up, they show up to protest and rally support, then there's no arrest tomorrow and then he uses that as an opportunity to try and project how powerful he is, "see folks . . . they are scared of me and you great people. They are cowards, they know I have done nothing wrong! You showed them they should not mess with me and all of you terrific people! They know I will win again and they are making things up to try and stop it!" It would be so on brand.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3485, 3486, 3487 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 3486 of 3663
Jump to: