Is Austin Reaves Heading for an Arenas Rule Showdown with the Lakers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Is Austin Reaves Heading for an Arenas Rule Showdown with the Lakers?

Hey All,

Latest @BleacherReport Is Austin Reaves Heading for an Arenas Rule Showdown with the Lakers? https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10069527-is-austin-reaves-heading-for-an-arenas-rule-showdown-with-the-lakers

Cheers,

EP
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Austin should be paid his market value. I thought he qualifies as a sixth man, the market for a sixth man is $7 million. I charted this years ago. As we all know, they paid Talen $10 million at the expense of Alex — $30 million cap hit — they may go that high with Austin based on his potential to be a starter, not just a sixth man. I read reports north of $12 million, at that range it may cost Dangelo or some combination of Malik, Jarred, Rui, and Mo. I don’t think it’s a debate, just pay him.
r0663664
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Reeves is a keeper, pay him whatever he deserve. He is way more consistent than Russell or Malik. He makes Malik expendable, Malik hasn't brought anything to the lakers so far. I think he is missing far too many open looks. As for Russell, he is spotting up whenever he wants. I am not sure that is good for the team. Reeves plays the game the right way unlike those who didn't finish college. Reeves has a higher ceiling than Caruso and THT.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject:

I did not know what the Arenas rule was, I was worried that Reeves would be in a "showdown" with gun-toting Javaris Crittenton...

NOTE: In December 2009, Crittenton and teammate Gilbert Arenas were involved in a locker room confrontation involving guns.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Him, Rui and DLo are the three main priorities, for mine. Don't care too much about anyone else, at this point
#18 next...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I take him over dlo
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Him, Rui and DLo are the three main priorities, for mine. Don't care too much about anyone else, at this point

Vanderbilt?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject:

Reaves at $20M is fine. If he doesn't develop at all beyond this season he's overpaid but still a plus player and probably movable (maybe with a pick as incentive). Don't be stupid, match any offer for him. Worry about 2026 when you get there.

(A full poison pill, with the max salary on Years 3 & 4, would make me think twice though, but I'm assuming no one would offer that.)
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject:

If another team offers a “poison pill” with years 1-2 at $11M and years 3-4 at $30M, don’t the Lakers end up paying, and getting a cap hit as the average annual salary each year, but the other teams get a cap hit for 11,11,30,30?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I take him over dlo

He doesn't have quite the pop-off factor, but Austin's actually younger, more efficient and more consistent. Could Austin even start at PG next year? I have to say, I'm almost here. DLO's really solid though. He blends in great with the starters next year.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
If another team offers a “poison pill” with years 1-2 at $11M and years 3-4 at $30M, don’t the Lakers end up paying, and getting a cap hit as the average annual salary each year, but the other teams get a cap hit for 11,11,30,30?

Its the other way around fam…if we match, the poison pill format hits our books and will remain. Even if/when we trade him to another team, that PP contract transfers over to the other team’s books, so in essence dude loses value as an asset.

However if we don’t match, the team he inked the offer sheet with will get him on whatever the AAV is for the entire deal.

Tough pill to swallow, but the poison only applies to us.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject:

^^^^

This is one of the reasons why I don't think this scenario will happen. The "poison" part would hit during the '26 and '27 seasons. Lebron will be off the books, and Davis might be off the books. Depending on the size of the new media rights deal, $30M might be a cheap deal. If it's not a genuine threat to us, I don't know why any other team would try it. For that matter, it might not be as appealing to Reaves as it appears at first glance. It's still $82M, which is nothing to sneeze at. But he could bet on himself and just take the Early Bird.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject:

Or even worse, he could take the QO. It might help the books for this year but we could end up paying handsomely next summer after sweating it out as he explores his UFA status. So yeah, there doesn't seem to be much downside to offering the max 4/50+ out the gates and then seeing how the market shapes up.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject:

^G: if he takes the 2.1m QO, he gets a built in NTC. However if he’s still on our books next summer, he would still be a RFA since he would have only played 3 seasons…and you need to have completed 4 seasons to be in the running for UFA.

That being said, we would have full bird in hand to offer him during the summer of ‘24 if he does bypass the early bird (where it has to be a 2yr deal) route and ends up going the way of the QO/1yr (via any exception and/or cap) path instead.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Its the other way around fam…if we match, the poison pill format hits our books and will remain. Even if/when we trade him to another team, that PP contract transfers over to the other team’s books, so in essence dude loses value as an asset.

However if we don’t match, the team he inked the offer sheet with will get him on whatever the AAV is for the entire deal.

Tough pill to swallow, but the poison only applies to us.

That might not be so bad then. The poison doesn’t kick in until LeBrons contract ends, which I predict to be a firesale summer anyways as Lakers try to replenish their prospects/picks.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
^G: if he takes the 2.1m QO, he gets a built in NTC. However if he’s still on our books next summer, he would still be a RFA since he would have only played 3 seasons…and you need to have completed 4 seasons to be in the running for UFA.

That being said, we would have full bird in hand to offer him during the summer of ‘24 if he does bypass the early bird (where it has to be a 2yr deal) route and ends up going the way of the QO/1yr (via any exception and/or cap) path instead.

Thanks for pointing that out...forgot about that 3-year rule. Either you're a human encyclopedia and/or I'm getting old. I'm also old for using the word encyclopedia.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject:

It's not really a showdown IMO. If Austin keeps playing like this he's obviously worth the money. If he falls down to earth teams won't be willing to risk a poison pill contract on him. Either way I think we'll be fine
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject:

AR is on a roll right now but he's not going to play like this every night. Teams are also going to make adjustments.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject:

In this order:

Austin
DeAngelo
Vanderbilt
Rui

Austin's overall game (if this is what we are going to get or even better) has surpassed DeAngelo's.

Austin should be at the top of the priority list!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject:

The guy is literally leading the NBA in TS % for all qualified players under 6'10. Assuming he has a nice finish to the season, 4 years and $50MM is going to be light. We're going to have to pay up. And I'd be downright shocked if he took the QO. I think only Greg Monroe has taken the QO, up to this point, no? Guys who have never locked in a big payday before are going to want that first taste of guaranteed coin, as they should.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject:

first off, vando is still l under contract for next season, so all good there. we MUST sign Dlo and AR15 this summer. they are gonna be our new back court and they shall be known from now on as "Vanilla Ice". LOL!

Rui should be a reasonable contract.
so should troy brown
is bamba under contract? or we gotta pay him too?

i think we let Beasley walk with his $16.5M next season as collateral damage.
same with dennis - though maybe he still wants to stick around?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject:

reaves
Vandy
Rui
and dlo at good price.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject:

It was well reported that the Raptors offered FRP for THT. The team knew they had two FAs and could keep only one due to tax. Instead of FRP and Caruso, the team ended up with THT who turned into Bamba whose team option will likely not be exercised. Lack of planning ahead.

Trades before the deadline shows the FO finally learns the importance of acting ahead and having options.

As to Reaves, he was undrafted, signed a two-way contract, played well, and had his two-way converted to a standard contract in training camp. I am not sure the team had enough space left to sign him to a three-year contract. I thought Nunn took the full TPMLE.

Because they would need to use part of the MLE to sign, for example, Max Christie, to a three-year contract, they probably thought full MLE gave them a better chance to sign the best FA available. In this example, Lonnie Walker. You could argue with the result, but I think the logic is sound.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject:

^Good points LT, but it’s been yearS of missing on locking up developmental talent.

This was said when we hired coach Ham…

Quote:
“One of the intentional philosophical architectural visions for us is to get younger and coach Ham has a passion for developing players. It would be a goal for us to somehow get in the second round to get a young player that we can develop. We’ve had great success if you look at our draft history and the guys we’ve drafted and developed and we think we can do it again in 2022 if we can pull off a trade to get a pick.”

"My goal is [to] continue with the development of our younger players and make those guys comfortable where they're not having to run to a telephone booth and put a cape on and try to save the day," Ham said. "And if there's mistakes made, I have to be able to coach those three guys like I do the rest of the roster.

Both GM & coaching hire had one of their goals being player development. We proceeded to trade away THT shortly there after for a vet. However we flipped it to Mo, so jury is still out.

One thing isn’t tho…and its our continuance in developing youth for 2yrs and then putting them up as cap sacrifices. Max Christie is a 35th overall pick. We clearly picked him high enough in the 2nd round for a reason. We then turned to the vet min exception to max his initial retention out on a 2yr deal. Had we turned to the MLE exception like you suggested, he would have been on a 3yr deal. That type of deal earns his full bird rights and has us beat free agency via pre-agency in offering him an extension to keep him out the pool in the summer of ‘25. Can a 2yr deal get you any of that? Nope! No extension possibilities and early bird limits a FA’s bag with that team.

But Walker/Klutch got in the way right? They wanted the full tpMLE of 6.48m and that means they would have had to agree on 5.46m leaving 1.02m for MaxC’s rookie min on a 3yr deal.

Maybe the solution is that if they were unwilling to leave that much, they could have offered Walker a 2yr deal where yr1 is 5.46m and yr2 is partially guaranteed for 1.02m. So on a pseudo 1yr deal (via waiver this summer before free agency) Walker earns the full tpMLE amount for his 1yr of service. That could have worked, right? I think it would have.

And is this an isolated event? Nope. It happened with Thomas Bryant in 2017 (we had cap space for up to a 4yr deal)…with Svi/Bonga in 2018 (we had cap space) …with THT/Caruso in 2019 (we had cap space)…with Reaves in 2021 (we had rest of prorated MLE that Nunn left behind)…

Which brings us right back to this past summer and Christie…and it also begs the question, Walker and Christie both young players that I’m sure would fit coach Ham’s goals in developing them. Why then get them on short 1-2yr deals. We get one MLE per summer…but nothing mandates us from only offering short term deals in using them.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
It was well reported that the Raptors offered FRP for THT. The team knew they had two FAs and could keep only one due to tax. Instead of FRP and Caruso, the team ended up with THT who turned into Bamba whose team option will likely not be exercised. Lack of planning ahead.

Trades before the deadline shows the FO finally learns the importance of acting ahead and having options.

As to Reaves, he was undrafted, signed a two-way contract, played well, and had his two-way converted to a standard contract in training camp. I am not sure the team had enough space left to sign him to a three-year contract. I thought Nunn took the full TPMLE.

Because they would need to use part of the MLE to sign, for example, Max Christie, to a three-year contract, they probably thought full MLE gave them a better chance to sign the best FA available. In this example, Lonnie Walker. You could argue with the result, but I think the logic is sound.

Wow, that's backward. They wanted a first WITH Horton-Tucker, not for. Not blaming you, was poorly reported by many
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: