SUNS -at- LAKERS - 3-22-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 3-22-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Chasing the Playoff Seed... With LeBron still out, the Lakers caught a break with both Durant and Ayton sidelined in this one. They needed to take advantage.

They slid Austin Reaves into the starting lineup and he didn’t skip a beat. He led the Lakers with 10 points in that first quarter. The Lakers ran off a 9-0 run in the second quarter to take the lead going into the half.

In the third, they made a concerted effort to get AD more involved using screens off ball. With 45 seconds left in the third up 9, the Lakers gave up a three, then tried to roll the ball inbounds and it was stolen for an And-1 score. That quickly cut the lead to 3 points as they headed into the fourth.

Midway through the quarter, they found some floor spacing with a small lineup and were able to put together a small 7-0 run. Strong guard play from the Russell/Reaves/Schroder trio helped the offense click. While the Vando/AD length kept the Suns from finding momentum to close.

Big win for the Lakers as they took it 122-111 and climbed back into playoff seeding. Let’s see if the team can finally get to .500 in the next one.

Davis -- -- Slower first half before we got AD into a lot of screen-the-screener action in the third quarter. AD came off a screen in the corner to set another one up high and then get into the two-man action. They ran that continuously. Only 7 points in first half, but once we got him involved in that third more, he dropped 14 points in that quarter. We also ran some horns actions that helped occupy defenders on both sides of the court. The weakside would exchange to keep the Suns a little more occupied, so strongside could go to work. We also ran a couple low screens for AD under the hoop to help him get good position. In the fourth during a key stretch, we went to Brown at the PF to give us some floor spacing and that allowed the Lakers to get some quick separation. With the Lakers improved three shooting, the Suns also had to come out on the perimeter a bit more with when AD was setting high screens. That opened up lanes for guys to attack or cut into and finish at the rim. We also saw some shooters empty out strong side and come around potential screeners weakside which made the D think a little and slow them down while AD was strongside. So some good things schematically to help the floor spacing for AD. Some good things from AD with his aggression around the rim and in the block (he had a great spin move baseline and threw down). Throw in a few midrange jumpers and you’ve got numbers more like what we need from AD. It wasn’t like he played to peak AD, either. He was blocked twice, gave up a couple offensive boards he should have had and had some of those moments where he drifted early on. Hopefully, he can elevate it another level and the Lakers can get to .500 finally. The Stats: He scored 27 points on 10-18 shooting (7-10 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 38 minutes. He was a +13.

Russell -- -- A couple things I liked about this game. First, DLo’s got to play off a couple of superstars in AD and Reaves (lol…but seriously, that was a superstar-ish game). So Reaves was able to get his usage and aggression where he needs it and Russell found ways to efficiently contribute in and around that action. Hit some threes, cut off ball for scores, attack quickly when the D is compromised and it gets into his hands. There were low-usage contributions that fit in seamlessly. “The fans can’t wait to cheer for us even if it’s Austin Reaves,” Russell said while grinning. “I guess they love Austin. Whenever we can get him going it helps our team.” The second thing I liked was that he came up big in the fourth. He scored 18 of his points in the second half, but in the fourth, he scored a tough And-1 from the middle of paint to go up 4 with 7 minutes left. Hit big three on short-roll kickout from AD (I think this was Reaves initiating the two-man with AD, so again Russell fitting in seamlessly with that). He hit an elbow jumper. He had a steal and was fouled for FTs. Some big ones to tag team with the other star players. Defensively, a couple of blocks by DLo and no fouls. The Stats: He scored 26 points on 9-13 shooting (3-6 from three, 5-7 from the line) to go with 1 board, 6 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks and 4 turnovers in 34 minutes. He was a +13.

Reaves -- rock: -- Continuing his leveled up ball, Reaves dropped 25-11 on just 6-10 shooting. I mean. Wow. I know there are some out there who believe it might be a hot streak or whatever, but look at what he’s doing. Please. The career-high 11 assists aren’t some accident. He’s always read the defense at a high level. He’s collapsing the D continuously. He’s able to get guys off balance, draw contact and force whistles. Consistently. So many areas of his game have improved this season that it just causes problems and the D has to make decisions. What’s changed are the reps and the aggression. I mentioned a couple months back that he needs to pick up the aggression. It’s hard with Russ and Bron dominating the ball. We’re just able to get his usage up consistently right now and the numbers are following. Picking up where he left off with a 10-point first quarter, Reaves was starting now, then resting and coming back to close the quarter with the bench. He’d lead the Lakers in scoring (13 on 4-7 shooting), assists (4) and +/- (+9) in the first half. He’d start playmaking more in the second quarter, finding DLo, Beasley and Brown for threes and setting up Vando and AD for scores in the paint. Scoring wise, the handle was on display again with a crossover between the legs to get downhill and scoring a layup. He’d sink a three and then get into that midrange for buckets. He drew FTs on both CP3 and Booker using that pivot multiple times against Booker. CP3 was interesting. CP3 caught Reaves getting him to run up his back off a screen and said something to him in the first half, not unfriendly, but it seemed to be related to the whistles. Late in the game, Reaves got CP3 to run into him from behind for FTs. The two have a lot in common in their game (the midrange, the efficiency). I think Reaves has a little more of that Manu herky-jerky action, where he gets downhill. So some kind of poor man’s version of those two (because they’re both HOFs) and you have a description of what Reaves game looks like right now. He’s straight up balling at the next levels of the NBA. This is a ton of hoop IQ, manipulating the defense and handles that can get him places. What is changing from that? He’s suddenly going to get cold with the handles or the reads or passing ability? Nope. What can change is aggression and usage. The Stats: He scored 25 points on 6-10 shooting (1-1 from three, 12-13 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 11 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnover and 2 fouls in 38 minutes. He was a +18.

Vanderbilt -- -- He got the Booker assignment to start. Some great work fighting over screens to draw offensive fouls and get stops. He had two in the first half, another in the third. He then drew an offensive foul on Booker midway through the third at mid court, going down from an off-arm, but that one was overturned after review. Burn your challenge, thank you very much. When Vando wasn’t on Booker and we had smaller Schröder that’s when Booker went to work. Offensively, Reaves found him for layup after getting deep in the paint, he found Vando cutting for a score and they finished the game off with a Reaves to Vando lob in the final minute. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-5 shooting (3-3 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 5 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a +8.

Brown -- -- We slid Reaves into the starting lineup and Brown kept that LeBron spot in the lineup. Against the Suns, once LeBron returns and Durant is in the mix, Brown may be needed to take on a tougher defensive assignment off the bench (possibly Durant or maybe Booker). He missed his first few shots, made a couple errors on D leaving shooters, then kind of picked it up from there. He drew some FTs in transition. He hit a three on a kickout from Reaves. He picked Booker, took it the distance and dunked on him. Not a lot of notes in the second half. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-6 shooting (1-3 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal and 3 fouls in 25 minutes. He was a +11.

Schröder -- -- Tough getting that Booker assignment when Vando sat with Dennis's size. I think you need to see if you can mix that up a little. We had one play in the second half where we trapped Booker but he found the right man in the middle of the paint and that led to a kickout to an open three. Offensively, he got to the line in the first half, some nice aggression in transition. In the second half, he hit a three and a couple of big midrange jumpers in that fourth. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 3-7 shooting (1-1 from three, 6-6 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 2 assists, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a +4.

Beasley -- -- So Beasley drops out of the starting lineup. He’s just too streaky and Reaves has been consistent with his production. Usually, you have the inconsistent guys on the bench and you hope they can break open a game every now and then with a hot game. Beasley sank a couple of threes in the first half and that that was it for his production. We get a lot more playmaking from Reaves and a lot less from Bease with the change. That’s a good thing. Beasley was missing some looks for teammates. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-6 shooting (2-5 from three) to go with 4 boards, 1 turnover and no fouls in 20 minutes. He was a -8.

Hachimura -- -- Rui ghosted us tonight. He missed a forced midrange. He missed an open three. He choked a layup from a great feed from Reaves (should have been Reaves’ 12th assist). We actually went small at PF late in the game. Got to make them feel you out there, Rui. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-3 shooting to go with 2 boards and 1 foul in 13 minutes. He was a -1.

Gabriel -- -- The numbers weren’t particularly great in this one, but we again ran a little overlap with AD and Gabriel out there to have a little more size. I mentioned above that Rui needs to make opponents feel him. That’s what Wenyen has been doing lately. Just some hustle and some spark. Even if the numbers aren’t great, you’re making an impact. Wenyen had a great play in the first half picking off a perimeter pass, pushing it out, spinning and scoring the layup at high speed. That got the crowd going a little. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-2 shooting (2-5 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals, 3 turnovers and 3 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a -3.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: There was a bad stretch of a few seconds in the final minute of the third where our lead went from 9 to 3 to end the quarter. But I think the key moment was really when we went small midway through the fourth. Instead of going with Rui, we ran Brown at PF with AD, Reaves, DLo and Schröder to get more room in paint on O. We’d pull off a 7-0. We didn’t stick with it long, but the floor spacing opened up for the Lakers. Picture LeBron in here for Brown and we aren’t small and get that same effect on offense.

Key Substitution: Beasley going to the bench had his minutes down to 20. Reaves minutes now went up to 38. Ham put some defensive players around Beasley on that bench. Beasley still had the team-low -8. Keep an eye on that if he’s not playing a lot with AD.

Key Stats: The Lakers made 36-46 from the line. The Suns 15-20. There were a lot of whistles in that first half. Felt like the refs swallowed the whistle a little more in the second half. Suns foul a lot. The Lakers were very aggressive.
PakaLOLO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject:

LFG!!!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 3-22-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

“Nails” in the lineup brings consistency that Beasley has yet provided. With three reliable ball handlers, defense can’t focused on one player. Hopefully, “Nails” playmaking skills getting the ball to shooters in rhythm, players such as Beasley to Rui to Brown and others get their groove back

The three guard lineup worked against the Suns’ short lineup, what they I’ll happen against taller lineups

Gabriel - value every possession by maintaining one’s focus the entire time

Good win

Fun game for DB and others
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject:

This game showed how different the team is without key defenders on skilled offensive opponents.

Booker is definitely intimidated by Vandy's defense as he got the first foul called against him by doing putting on the brakes with Jarred behind him and flopping forward to the floor.

He picked up at least three of the four fouls by baiting the refs before Vandy sat down in the third, at which time Booker scores a ton of points with ease over Dennis and occasionally Austin. Once Vandy returned with 9m left in the fourth, Booker came back down to earth once again.

Also, I thought this was Gabriel's worst decision making game as a Laker. He made way too many unforced errors. I don't recall Ham sitting a Laker down form making mistakes before what happened to Gabe in the third.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Thx DB!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Thx DB!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Another well-written summary.

Was definitely much more pleased with how AD was involved in second half - I was questioning why they were not doing more with him for awhile. As a whole, the team stepped up against a Suns team that is still competitive.

I'm not sure what to make of AR or how things will go with a full healthy lineup. I do know this - his play of late has been upper level. At some point you wonder if the refs will just hold their whistles, just because, and how that may impact things. I also do wonder, as you pointed out, whether he is just on a hot streak. But, if indeed this is for real, then he and d'lo will make for a solid back court to go with the big 2.

Speaking of d'lo. Since watching him here I've felt he is at his best when he's not being asked to be the guy. When he gets to pick his spots he is a problem for the defense. That's when he can also start getting hot. Using tonight as an example, there'd be times the D was focused on AD or Reaves or Schro, and boom, there goes D'lo with an open 3. Or they rush out at him and just simply curves his way to the hoop.

Again, I do not want to get too overly excited. AR's last 2 games were not against "good" teams (Magic will be under .500; Suns without Ayton and Durant are above average). I'm hoping this is not a flash-in-the-pan situation. What a steal if AR is for real and not just on a "hot streak."
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SUNS -at- LAKERS - 3-22-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
“Nails” in the lineup brings consistency that Beasley has yet provided. With three reliable ball handlers, defense can’t focused on one player. Hopefully, “Nails” playmaking skills getting the ball to shooters in rhythm, players such as Beasley to Rui to Brown and others get their groove back

The three guard lineup worked against the Suns’ short lineup, what they I’ll happen against taller lineups

Gabriel - value every possession by maintaining one’s focus the entire time

Good win

Fun game for DB and others

terrible nickname
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:04 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

Speaking of d'lo. Since watching him here I've felt he is at his best when he's not being asked to be the guy. When he gets to pick his spots he is a problem for the defense. That's when he can also start getting hot. Using tonight as an example, there'd be times the D was focused on AD or Reaves or Schro, and boom, there goes D'lo with an open 3. Or they rush out at him and just simply curves his way to the hoop.

Agreed on this, it's what makes the prospect of DLO next to a healthy LeBron/AD so enticing. If DLO is feeling it he has the skillset to let it fly but mostly I like him being opportunistic offensively. That might be why his TS% has hovered around 60% this year. Reaves' leap has basically allowed Russell to play more within his game.

As always, thanks DB! Really liked your point about Rui needing more of a motor like Wenyen to make the other team just feel your presence.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB for another great write-up, this time on a great game!

I don't see a 'hot streak' with Reaves, what I see is the culmination of work he's put in to understand the game and how to make sound decisions. AD complimented him for the same reason recently, he said he knew quite a while ago Austin is a keeper by the decisions he makes on the floor. Not just smart, but crafty too. People are either crafty or not, they don't go on crafty streaks. Give him experience, and give him playing time, I'm not surprised to see him break out. Now he has the attention of the whole league, and teams are going to start scouting him. This is where the next test comes in for Austin.

DLO and Reaves thrive together in the same backcourt, and when we go small Schroeder finds a way to fit in as well. What I see is solid, unselfish ball, intelligent play and looking for a weakness to exploit together. And they can be effective without dominating the ball. So much better than what we put on the floor before the trade deadline.

Huge thank you to Vanderbilt, a lengthy shut-down defender who can keep tall, talented wings in check. He got the best of Booker tonight, another reason box scores can be deceiving.

AD was solid too.

Great game Lakers! Now let's finally get to .500 and finish the season above it please.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of AR or how things will go with a full healthy lineup. I do know this - his play of late has been upper level. At some point you wonder if the refs will just hold their whistles, just because, and how that may impact things. I also do wonder, as you pointed out, whether he is just on a hot streak.
”Nails” (name Big Game James gave him) is not flopping, just has good handles, know how to cut off angles and can stop on a dime (didn’t see CP3 complaining on any calls) that cause defenders to go up his back

Harden, Kyrie, Booker and others still get fouls

Reeves’ play helps DLo and DS by taking some of the pressure of them bringing up the ball and making the Lakers’ offense more unpredictable

Reeves has been consistent playing 25+ MPG, will he be consistent at playing 30-35 MPG?
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject:

reaves is finally unleashed.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

I don't see a 'hot streak' with Reaves, what I see is the culmination of work he's put in to understand the game and how to make sound decisions. AD complimented him for the same reason recently, he said he knew quite a while ago Austin is a keeper by the decisions he makes on the floor. Not just smart, but crafty too. People are either crafty or not, they don't go on crafty streaks. Give him experience, and give him playing time, I'm not surprised to see him break out. Now he has the attention of the whole league, and teams are going to start scouting him. This is where the next test comes in for Austin.

DLO and Reaves thrive together in the same backcourt, and when we go small Schroeder finds a way to fit in as well. What I see is solid, unselfish ball, intelligent play and looking for a weakness to exploit together. And they can be effective without dominating the ball. So much better than what we put on the floor before the trade deadline.

Correct. You either have passing vision or you don't. It's not something that just disappears. It's not like he's going to suddenly be unable to make the right play. Yes, teams will throw different schemes out there and that could catch him off guard for a game. But it's night like he's going on a cold streak with playing smart.

Yes, I was thinking about the scouting/defender thing last night and had a few thoughts on that. First, if you are throwing one of your best defenders on Reaves, you better have something in your pocket for Russell and Bron, as well. What we sometimes see is a guy who doesn't play as much get extra minutes against us to defend someone like Bron. It's like us with Vando. You've got one guy you can throw on people, pick which one...and that makes it easier for the other guys.

Second, the league is soft defensive in the midrange. They want to protect against the threes and the layups. Teams typically downplay the midrange unless you've got guys who kill from there. The midrange will be there often for Reaves. So you've got to try to stay tight on him, but you also have to be careful because he's crafty with the stop and fades or the extra pivot to draw contact AS A SHOOTER. The league protects guys who get into their jumpshot and get contact. So Reaves get calls. So he has counters to the various pressure you put on him.

Lastly, on a side note, Kobe would have loved being in Reaves' ear because of how he thinks the game and the chess match of counters and footwork. It's no surprise Reaves was a Laker fan when you look at some of his game. Handy can help Reaves keep elevating that handle. Kobe would have been helping with the masterclass on footwork for the kid. Miss him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Second, the league is soft defensive in the midrange. They want to protect against the threes and the layups. Teams typically downplay the midrange unless you've got guys who kill from there. The midrange will be there often for Reaves. So you've got to try to stay tight on him, but you also have to be careful because he's crafty with the stop and fades or the extra pivot to draw contact AS A SHOOTER. The league protects guys who get into their jumpshot and get contact. So Reaves get calls. So he has counters to the various pressure you put on him.

This is all true, but it will be interesting to see how this translates to playoff basketball. Of late, he has more FTAs than FGAs. At some point, defenders are going to learn to stop clattering into him, and the refs are going to push back when he initiates the contact. If we get into an actual playoff series, opposing coaches are going to prepare players to deal with him. It will be intriguing to see how it works out. If I was an opposing coach, my message would be to let him take that off-balance jumper from the free throw line and live with it if he makes it. Just don't give him the cheap foul, and maintain your position if he dives into you.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Correct. You either have passing vision or you don't. It's not something that just disappears. It's not like he's going to suddenly be unable to make the right play. Yes, teams will throw different schemes out there and that could catch him off guard for a game. But it's night like he's going on a cold streak with playing smart.

Yes, I was thinking about the scouting/defender thing last night and had a few thoughts on that. First, if you are throwing one of your best defenders on Reaves, you better have something in your pocket for Russell and Bron, as well. What we sometimes see is a guy who doesn't play as much get extra minutes against us to defend someone like Bron. It's like us with Vando. You've got one guy you can throw on people, pick which one...and that makes it easier for the other guys.

Lastly, on a side note, Kobe would have loved being in Reaves' ear because of how he thinks the game and the chess match of counters and footwork. It's no surprise Reaves was a Laker fan when you look at some of his game. Handy can help Reaves keep elevating that handle. Kobe would have been helping with the masterclass on footwork for the kid. Miss him.
Above comments are “On Point.”

As Big Game James and Big Shot Rob have repeatedly mentioned, AR spent four years in college to hone his skills to develop “counters” to numerous defensive schemes that provide him the Basketball IQ to breakdown what new things opposing teams would do

Any additional attention (gravity) AR brings to him provide more opportunities for AD to DLo to DS, while providing more clean air space to streaky shooters from Beasley to Brown to Rui to Lonnie Walker

Midrange shooters from KD to Butler to Booker to DeRozan to others are successful in the league
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I’ve been in lurk mode recently, been busy and watching from the dvr. It’s interesting watching a game after reading your T&R! Credit to Ham for starting Reaves and the 2nd half offensive schemes to get AD the ball with room to operate.

Ideally, we will take care of these next two home games, get above .500, and then get Bron back for the road trip.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject:

I was pleasantly surprised by AR's play. I was concerned that starting pressure would be a little much for him. He seemed to thrive on it. His handles are better than I thought, though IMO he went with behind the back dribble a bit to much. His decision making was off the charts. I hope Darvin keeps him in the starting lineup. He earned it. What also pleased me was the way the team as a whole accepted his promotion. I thought Austin was a closer. Come to find out he's a starter and closer.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

This is all true, but it will be interesting to see how this translates to playoff basketball. Of late, he has more FTAs than FGAs. At some point, defenders are going to learn to stop clattering into him, and the refs are going to push back when he initiates the contact. If we get into an actual playoff series, opposing coaches are going to prepare players to deal with him. It will be intriguing to see how it works out. If I was an opposing coach, my message would be to let him take that off-balance jumper from the free throw line and live with it if he makes it. Just don't give him the cheap foul, and maintain your position if he dives into you.

Succinctly put into words general thoughts in my head that were not coming out well from me.

While I think AR will find a way to counter, it will be interesting to watch to happens when the the scouting data is more filled out with his favorite moves, etc. Putting all that aside, the P&G nerd in me is completely enjoying the high level play from him the past 2 games. A surprising joy to watch.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject:

ROAD TO .500!!!!!! LFG
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: