BULLS -at- LAKERS - 3-26-23 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: BULLS -at- LAKERS - 3-26-23 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Running of the Bulls... A sleepy Sunday afternoon at Crypto today. The first half of this game felt like it was being played on the road as the Bulls were comfortable, getting out in transition, the Laker fans subdued and L.A. getting outplayed in a variety of areas.

It wasn’t any one thing, but multiple issues. Some stats:

Bulls had 15 fastbreak points, Lakers just 5.
AD with just 15 points on 6-8 shooting.
Nikola Vucevic played just 15 minutes, getting tossed early in this one.
Andre Drummond had 12 points, nearly matching AD.
Vanderbilt was a -27.
Reaves 7 assists but 5 turnovers.
Lakers 18 turnovers, Bulls Just 9.
Beasley was 2-9 from three until late in the game when they were down big.
With AD on the floor, they were a +7, off the floor a -17.

Ham decided to bring LeBron off the bench to ease him into the game and get the team into rhythm. Bron still played 30 minutes. Weird decision, but the Lakers started out fine, taking some small leads in the first quarter.

Things changed as the Bulls bench came in and the three ball started dropping. The Lakers would fall back by 20, but trim it in half by halftime.

Early in the third, the Lakers gave up a 9-0 run and were back in the hole again. They’d fall back by as many as 21 points again in the second half. They’d only get close when the Bulls put things into cruise control and Malik Beasley started to make some meaningless threes.

“We’ve got to come out and play with more of a sense of desperation,” AD said afterward.

The Lakers fell 118-108 and dropped below .500 again.

Davis -- -- Just 8 points on 3-4 shooting in the first half. Identical in the second half. He did have 5 assists. The Bulls would send help and force AD to make reads off the short roll, but again there wasn’t a high level of scheming to get him the ball in position with frequency. In the third quarter, Ham gambled and left AD in and he picked up his fifth foul. Wenyen was waiting to check in, but there wasn’t a deadball for a while and AD wasn’t careful on a lob pass to get that fifth. I think there was a little bit of the Lakers not knowing the Bulls in this one and again suffering from scheme continuity with new rotations. It felt like they didn’t know who they were and the Bulls did. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 6-8 shooting (3-6 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 5 fouls in 36 minutes. He was a +7.

Schröder -- -- Decent fourth quarter again, but because we couldn’t keep in contact with the Bulls early in that fourth, his offensive output wasn’t as big a factor. Good job getting to the line and knocking them down. While he put up decent numbers and helped replace some of DLo’s missing output, he’s not quite respected a floor spacer, which allows the Bulls to take a step or two toward help and crowd others. If we aren’t sharp as a team, then it can muddy up some possessions. The Stats: He scored 17 points on 4-10 shooting (2-6 from three, 7-8 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 34 minutes. He was a +13.

Reaves -- -- Normally, he has kept things fairly error free and highly efficient. Way too many turnovers tonight for him. He led the team in assists and had a good start finding Brown for a three and AD behind the action for a layup. He’d setup Wenyen for FTs, as well. He’d score on a reverse, hit a runner from 15 feet, hit a pull-up off a screen, attack down the lane and flipped in an And-1 backhand layup around Drummond. He’d knock down a step-back three. Everything was pretty solid then, with just one mistake throwing away a perimeter pass. He’d then lose the handle on a play and give up a three in transition. In the second half, Bev stripped him for a layup the other way. He’d also get called for a charge attacking from the corner for another turnover. Just to sloppy as he and Bron combined for 10 of the Lakers turnovers. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 6-10 shooting (1-3 from three, 0-1 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 7 assists, 5 turnovers and 2 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a -11.

Vanderbilt -- -- The +/- with Vando is something to be concerned about. That -27 when he was on the floor in 21 minutes sticks out. Offensively, he struggled to finish as he does sometimes, but really choked some easy ones (traveling off a nice feed from Reaves, or not finish a layup in transition). When teams crowd the paint and he’s not making himself a pest and taking advantage when he can, it can be rough. Defensively, we had him on DeRozan quite a bit. There’s was still some miscommunications and Vando even got backdoored badly on one play. Obviously, if AD is a +7 and Vando a -27, we’re leaning on him for time when AD is off the court, too. (Rui didn’t play tonight, out of the rotation). The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-5 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 4 boards, 1 turnover and no fouls in 21 minutes. He was a -27.

Brown -- cool: -- He had 15 points on 3-6 shooting from three in the first half against his former team. We wasted a great half from him. That was huge production, though, just to keep us closer. His first three was in front of the Bulls bench and he turned around to give them a look. It felt like he came to play. He’d have some disruptive plays on D, a couple shot blocks on one sequence (Bulls still scored despite that effort). That play came off one of his turnovers, though. So despite the great effort, result was a turnover and a Bulls bucket. Lakers just couldn’t string together enough stops and inspiring plays to get the team and fans going. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 7-13 shooting (4-9 from three) to go with 6 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 32 minutes. He was a +3.

LeBron -- -- Well, I will keep the tradition of having the first five players in these writeups be the starters. Bron came off the bench today after missing 13 games. The team went 8-5 without LeBron and finally reached the .500 mark. Well done. He entered the game at the 6-minute mark of the first quarter with Beasley as we sat Brown and Reaves. His first touches of his first two shifts in the half both resulted in turnovers trying to force passes. So not a lot of fluidity and just 3 assists in this one with his 5 turnovers. He had to deal with AC defensively, which is challenge. Sometimes that meant some post ups, but AC was also able to draw a charge and a push-off on him. As the game went along, it looked like he got more comfortable and played with more speed. He only took a couple of threes in this game and missed both. He was involved in the play that Vucevic got ejected. Foul call, Bron hit in the head. I’m not sure if the whistle came before that hit in the head, but it seemed pretty obvious foul. The Stats: He scored 19 points on 6-11 shooting (0-2 from three, 7-8 from the line) to go with 8 boards, 3 assists, 5 turnovers and 2 fouls in 30 minutes. He was a +4.

Beasley -- -- Feels like a deceptive box score. He was 2-9 from three, before making 4-5 to finish the game when the Lakers had been down big. It helped them chip away at that the lead, but the heart of this fight was already over. I’d much rather have swapped one of those for, say, something like when Bron was doubled and kicked out to him open and he couldn’t knock it down. That might change coverages and spacing early in the game, rather than when this was already about over. He did have a three earlier in the game that cut the lead to 11, but you saw Lavine call for Beasley’s man to come over, they got the switch and he attacked it for a layup. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 6-14 shooting from three (0-1 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 2 assists, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 28 minutes. He was a -11.

Gabriel -- -- Man, just 9 minutes and a -19. I think I would have liked to see us switch everything with the smaller mobile lineups, instead of having to chase and recover after scrambles. Our individual D wasn’t good enough today, but we were alo very predictable in our schemes. For Gabriel’s part, even in transition, he got confused on one play and we gave up a wide open three. He got a couple points from the line. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 0-1 shooting (2-4 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 block and 2 fouls in 9 minutes. He wa s a -19.

Walker IV -- -- No bench heroics in this one. He missed his first couple of attempts and then had a nice curl into the lane to hang and score with his off hand. No steals, boards or any other misc. in this game. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-3 shooting (0-1 from three) and no other stats in 13 minutes. He was a -9.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: Our bench got throttled a bit by the Bulls bench to close the first and open the second quarter. They were bombing threes, getting turnovers and the Lakers never recovered.

Key Substitution: LeBron coming off the bench seemed like maybe overthinking things. But the starters did fine in the first half. In the second half, they brought Bron in much quicker. No Rui in this game as we went a lot of three guard action, even a small unit with Brown at PF.

Key Stats: Let’s go with something positive. Bron getting 30 minutes and looking fairly agile. Let’s hope we can get D’Angelo back in the mix and the team building back up that continuity quickly.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject:

first
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject:

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Well sounds like I picked a good game to miss via time zones. I had a feeling this was gonna be a trap game.

Wonder if Russell/Reaves/TBJ/Bron/AD should be our starting 5. Or maybe situationally choose between TBJ and Vando -- against teams with star wings Vando's defense probably makes up for his offensive shortcomings?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB for the write up.

I wish I could say I was surprised. Am not. This is what this team is. Peaks and valleys. Definitely not championship material for this season. Just way too inconsistent a team.

Did not help D'lo is hurt, they claim "day to day"...but it will be week to week.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject:

I was able to watch only the first half. Impressions:

Reaves was overmatched on defense. These just seemed to be bad matchups for him. On offense, the Bulls didn't let Reaves have his usual cheap fouls (except for one by Drummond, and Andre seemed embarrassed by his screw up). Reaves says that he studied Harden and Trae Young, but unlike those guys, other teams will live with his shot.

When Vucevic pulled his Crash Davis routine at the end of the second quarter, I knew it was trouble. Vucevic wasn't effective in this game. Drummond looked motivated and active. Those two tip ins about halfway through the second quarter kept us from getting any momentum.

Troy Brown is playing himself out of the range of our offseason budget. Good for him. Lonnie Walker is playing himself into a vet min contract next year. Sucks to be him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I feel like you should have let someone else do the thoughts and ratings DB, it was 1 of the worse games that I witnessed this season I quickly turned the TV off in the 2nd quarter and never looked back, I’m sure your just as frustrated, it seems like the Bulls were ready to send a message and the Lakers never were ready for the Bulls
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, as usual.

The Lakers simply got outworked. They let the Bulls dictate the pace with their defense and intensity, instead of speeding up the game and making it a track meet like they need to.

Am I the only one who is starting to think Vanderbilt may be falling a bit short of expectations? I still think he's a keeper, but he's had at least a few games where it seems like he's been almost a non-factor, whether it's been defensively or on the boards. We can live with him missing layups, but his defense and rebounding need to be constants, and he needs to set the tone for the rest of the team in those two areas. Luckily he's only 23, so he can improve when it comes to his consistency.

In a similar vain, the Lakers can't keep dropping these games against teams they should beat and expect to make the playoffs. Yes they have a long way to go in terms of building chemistry, but getting beat because you were outworked is simply unacceptable, especially when you have the kind of talent and depth we now have.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Thanks DB, as usual.

The Lakers simply got outworked. They let the Bulls dictate the pace with their defense and intensity, instead of speeding up the game and making it a track meet like they need to.

Am I the only one who is starting to think Vanderbilt may be falling a bit short of expectations? I still think he's a keeper, but he's had at least a few games where it seems like he's been almost a non-factor, whether it's been defensively or on the boards. We can live with him missing layups, but his defense and rebounding need to be constants, and he needs to set the tone for the rest of the team in those two areas. Luckily he's only 23, so he can improve when it comes to his consistency.

In a similar vain, the Lakers can't keep dropping these games against teams they should beat and expect to make the playoffs. Yes they have a long way to go in terms of building chemistry, but getting beat because you were outworked is simply unacceptable, especially when you have the kind of talent and depth we now have.

I think Vanderbilt is what he is. Possibly he gets better on offense a bit, but IMO he is more bench energizer bunny guy or matchup starter than just auto start at this point. In the offseason, team needs to reconsider the pieces it has and what sort of team they want to be. I think that's part of the problem - they don't even know what sort of team they are. Before LBJ returned it was whatever version of AD we got plus whoever else chipped in, and hope for the best in the middle of the D when AD sat.

If there's good news, team has more intriguing assets than before so have more movement capability - really depends how they envision the team.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject:

The team obviously needs time to get use to each other again. ham is not doing then favors with the rotations. IMO, biggest mistake was not start Lebron in the second half. (He forced to play him after the 9-0 run by the bulls)
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject:

It was like the Bulls were having a layup drill for most of the game. Guards were not stopping penetration and players were not rotating to help when the Bulls got into the paint. Ugh!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject:

This made me lirl.

Quote:
I don't know how Darvin managed to have neither AD or LeBron in a lineup despite bringing LeBron off the bench. That's impressive.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
This made me lirl.

Quote:
I don't know how Darvin managed to have neither AD or LeBron in a lineup despite bringing LeBron off the bench. That's impressive.

Ham threw the game away and it didn’t help that the Bulls were looking for Lakers blood with Beverly and Caruso helping them out
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Lots of credit to the Bulls for taking us out of some things. I’m curious to see the adjustments we make. If DLo is back that will help in some areas with how they were able to defend Dennis. It disrupted some things.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Not having a shot-blocking backup center is still hurting us when AD goes out.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Drummond, AC and PatBev came ready to play, with the Lakers not able to come close to matching their energy. Hopefully, these Bulls will play the same way against the Clips

Team is inconsistent with LBJ on the court that place AR in another role, plus DLo wasn't available. With the Lakers one step slow and one level lower in displaying urgency against a Donovan-led team that always play hell-bent defense

With Big Game and Big Shot making the observation that LBJ seems rusty, it is good to have as many games as needed to get LBJ in the flow. With LBJ not on the court, others know they must move. With LBJ back on the court and missing a beat, continuity needs to be brought back.

Teams have scouted AR and this Bulls team focuses on shots in the paint, where AR lives. With AD not demanding touches and getting off shots, this team will not win if the ball movement is not forcing defenders to move - especially high quality defensive teams with AC/PatBev on the perimeter.

Not surprising since the Bulls own the sixth best defense in the NBA and the league’s best defense since the turn of the year. Bulls opponents shoot a league low 32 percent on the third highest percent of three pointers allowed in the NBA. The Bulls have leaned heavily into the idea that taking away the rim shots will take care of the rest, as long as they don’t foul (10th) or give up offensive rebounds (3rd)

Vando does NEED to make those chippie shots. With the Bulls always crowding the paint, where Vando lives, plus he was guarding DeRozan on the perimeter - his +/- will not be good - especially with the missed defensive assignments (many with LBJ on the court)

With AD and LBJ not able to lead the charge in this game, hopefully the coaches will identify and highlight what is needed to bring the needed effort, energy and urgency to win games (while giving LBJ time to get the rust off and understand that playing great D will jump start the club - given that he doesn't need to play 30+ MPG, he can extend more effort on D)

When DLo comes back, there will be yet another readjustment along with bringing a needed feared shooter since Beasley is not consistent.

The true test is the next game in Chicago

With critical games against the TWolves and Clips upcoming, those games are much more critical to win since they count for two games with every win
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
Not having a shot-blocking backup center is still hurting us when AD goes out.

While true, that fact doesn't get Ham off the hook despite the injury to Bamba and the lack of enough bigs by Pelinka.

With what he has, the coach is still able to put out bigger units for longer stretches to help mitigate the weak defensive showing we had all night. OK, AD is the only true center and has to rest at times. Then why not go with three forwards? No, because Ham is married to the idea that we must have three GUARDS on the floor almost the entire game.

I think the only time we had a legit defensive lineup with size on the floor was the last six seconds of the half as Lebron took two FTs. We had AD, Lebron, Vanderbilt, Troy and Dennis, a unit that forced Coby to take a long three and miss.

Two guards, two forwards, and a center.... it's like finding a four-leaf clover when one of those pops up. It helps with overall defense (inside and out) as well as rebounding, but Ham simply won't do the right thing and give, say, most of the minutes he has for Beas to Rui to get three forwards out there when AD rests.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Very good analysis AMC. I’ll just add this, we need to win the rebounding battles. No rebounds, no rings. Even if people like Vando don’t contribute offensively, we need to leverage his length and get more rebounds. It’s also why we need taller lineups leveraging Wenyen and Rui over small 3 guard lineups.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Very good analysis AMC. I’ll just add this, we need to win the rebounding battles. No rebounds, no rings. Even if people like Vando don’t contribute offensively, we need to leverage his length and get more rebounds. It’s also why we need taller lineups leveraging Wenyen and Rui over small 3 guard lineups.
Thanks, but I am just a very Very VERY poor at breaking down stats when compared to the likes of the GREAT DB and many others here

Agree with your rebounding comment

With Vando guarding DeRozan (who had 17 points), he would probably be on the perimeter, hence the reason why Brown got many rebounds.

Ham decided (most HC would have made the same decision) to use LBJ over Wenyen and Rui since this was a game for LBJ to get the rust off. With LBJ in the lineup, there appears to be either confusion or indecision on the defensive schemes plus we lost too many 50/50 balls that Wenyen would probably get some while LBJ wouldn't (at this time).

This team seems to have greater difficulty when facing teams that are very aggressive in playing D (Bulls to Grizzs). Waiting for Ham to implement counters that would make such teams pay for being that aggressive (strong screens, backdoors, double drags, strong P&Rs, etc. to make teams pay for doubling AD.

With the paint being packed, Vando needs to vacate/relocate/backdoor to the paint or the rebounder position. Bulls being a team that usually shoot mid-range shots, outside of DeRozan's wide 3 point shots (twice) to increase the lead to 20 points - there were no long rebounds for Vando to get while defending DeRozan.

As shared, the next game with the Bulls will show if these Lakers are learning to play against aggressive Ds that they will face in the playoffs
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
StatMuse
@statmuse

Chicago Bulls since adding Pat Bev to the rotation:

— Top 5 record
— Top 5 net rating
— Top 5 defensive rating
— Top 10 offensive rating

He gives them a bit of the ball pressure that Lonzo provided.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Quote:
StatMuse
@statmuse

— Top 5 record
— Top 5 net rating
— Top 5 defensive rating

Bev at a minimum is great. Bev at $13m, not as much.

Heck, even Russ at a minimum isn't the worst thing (assuming you have a coach who can bench him). Russ at $47m, not as much.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Quote:
StatMuse
@statmuse

— Top 5 record
— Top 5 net rating
— Top 5 defensive rating

Bev at a minimum is great. Bev at $13m, not as much.

Heck, even Russ at a minimum isn't the worst thing (assuming you have a coach who can bench him). Russ at $47m, not as much.
Agree

Win Win Scenario

Lakers have a lot more financial flexibility and a much better roster

PatBev at minimum contract is a great fit (financially) for the Bulls and a good fit for Caruso. Will this make the Bulls a legitimate playoff team in the playoffs, no. Bucks, 76ers and Celtics have superior guard play and firepower for the Caruso/PatBev/LaVine combo to handle

Russ with the Clips is better since they already have better shooters, even better guard play who are often playing during crunch time. With Kwahi and PG13, they have two superstars that are unpredictable on when they are healthy.

Next season, will PatBev and/or Russ be playing in the NBA - probably not both of them and maybe neither will be playing next season.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
This made me lirl.

Quote:

Ham threw the game away and it didn’t help that the Bulls were looking for Lakers blood with Beverly and Caruso helping them out

and some payback for this too
Don't feel like linking the drama
Quote:

Magic Johnson Says LeBron James Chose Westbrook ...

Sports Illustrated
https://www.si.com › nba › clippers › news › magic-jo...
Apr 4, 2022 — Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James reportedly chose Russell Westbrook over DeMar DeRozan.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: